PS2: RPG suggestion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for solidsnake22993
solidsnake22993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#351 solidsnake22993
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i agree with a few posts up, ffx was reli good game, i used to have it but traded it in because a part i was up to was friggin hard. i played ff12 it was relli fun and a bit different to the other ones cuz of the new attack system. so it was was interesting
ffgameman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#352 ffgameman
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts
I'm renting Rogue Galaxy right now, and it's a good RPG (well, action/RPG).  Plenty to do - Insectron tournament, weapon synthesis, bounty hunting, etc.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#353 skrutop
Member since 2002 • 2262 Posts

I was recently playing Gladius by Lucasarts.  The game is set in a world based on ancient Rome.  Your characters travel from town-to-town and compete in different gladiatorial games.  All action takes place in the ring, and combat is turn-based.  The battle system is very well though out, and the entire game stands out from the standard turn-based RPG (like Final Fantasy, Shadow Hearts, and Suikoden).

As it turns out, I'm not a big fan of this type of RPG, but it's worth checking out if you want to try something different. 

shoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#354 shoden
Member since 2002 • 57 Posts
i agree with a few posts up, ffx was reli good game, i used to have it but traded it in because a part i was up to was friggin hard. i played ff12 it was relli fun and a bit different to the other ones cuz of the new attack system. so it was was interesting
Mobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#355 Mobel
Member since 2007 • 2183 Posts

I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST THE ATELIER IRIS SERIES AND AR TOLENICO

lilhg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 lilhg
Member since 2005 • 263 Posts
nice list i got like 5 games from the list
Carmilla31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 Carmilla31
Member since 2005 • 3335 Posts
I just beat the Xenosaga trilogy after buying and loving Xenogears. I recommend all four games. Heres how i rate them: Xenogears = 10 Xenosaga 1 = 7 Xenosaga 2 = 7 Xenosaga 3 = 8
gohantkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 gohantkd
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts

vlw pelo post

Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#359 Hinata237
Member since 2006 • 9416 Posts

Well, im starting to try and capture all the enemies in FFX for the monster arena.
My Yuna, rikku and tidus can hit 99,999. Now I need to train my other characters lol. Going to take a while....

Carmilla31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 Carmilla31

Well, im starting to try and capture all the enemies in FFX for the monster arena.
My Yuna, rikku and tidus can hit 99,999. Now I need to train my other characters lol. Going to take a while....

Hinata237
My party would be that strong but i cant beat lightning dodging or chocobo racing. I dont have the skills for that. :( :( :(
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#361 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
[QUOTE="Hinata237"]

Carmilla31
My party would be that strong but i cant beat lightning dodging or chocobo racing. I dont have the skills for that. :( :( :(

You lucky T_T Seems very hard. And Odin Sphere :o. Who's picking it up?
Avatar image for DoobieDoobster2
DoobieDoobster2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 DoobieDoobster2
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts
Kingdom Hearts I & II
Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 Hinata237

Final Fantasy X owns Kingdom hearts 1.
Final Fantasy X-2 owns Kingdom hearts 2.
:lol:

Though, Kingdom hearts 1 was pretty fun.

LongshotX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 LongshotX2
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

Final Fantasy X owns Kingdom hearts 1.
Final Fantasy X-2 owns Kingdom hearts 2.
:lol:

Though, Kingdom hearts 1 was pretty fun.

Hinata237

Opinions,onions,potatoes...every has a different taste.If you ask me i prefered both KH games over FF ones(except FFXII,it was a breath of fresh air).But i must say,both KHII and FFX-2 were major dissapointments. 

KwahSizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 KwahSizzle
Anything and Everything Final Fantasy
enixtkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#366 enixtkd

I suggest Final Fantasy XII. It has great gameplay, wherein the player can explore the map and at the same time do battles. And Final Fantasy XII has a unique system, the Gambit System.

Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XII

Fireeyes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Fireeyes61
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Where is this "List" also if Phantasy Star Universe isn't on it, its an awesome game once you get to a certain spot you can unlock Extra Mode and create your own character with everything you have unlocked on your story file. plus it has a network mode

rabidwolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 rabidwolf86
Member since 2004 • 743 Posts
final fantasy XII
acknowledge101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#369 acknowledge101
Member since 2004 • 1298 Posts
i think anyone that knows about rpgs knows what final fantasy is. what's the point in recommending it? i think everyone should pick up suikoden 5. 108 characters to collect, awesome story, fun battles, great characters... WAR... what more do you need?
knightfire35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 knightfire35
Member since 2006 • 431 Posts

Well Kh 1 and 2 are rly awesome. ff12 is ok i guess, gets boring after a while. Also Dawn of mana is a good one.

PandaSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 PandaSamurai
Member since 2004 • 1152 Posts

Well Kh 1 and 2 are rly awesome. ff12 is ok i guess, gets boring after a while. Also Dawn of mana is a good one.

knightfire35

Dawn of Mana is certainly of the worst PS2 RPGs. It has stellar graphics and a beautiful soundtrack, but the gameplay is between "Horrid" and "Barely Acceptable." I wouldn't add that. I also support the recommendation of Suikoden V. I also think everyone who likes RPGs even a tad should try Tales of the Abyss. Out of the 40 some PS2 RPGs I've played, it's definetely my favorite. It sold terribly... it needed to do better, but it was screwed over by FFXII, which in my opinion was considerably worse.

I beat RG a week after it came out (somehow O_o) so I didn't really get to take in some of it and fully appreciate it, but I would say it's certainly one of the top 10 PS2 RPGs. 

Fireeyes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 Fireeyes61
I forgot to also recommend Tales of Legendia, if you like Tales of the Abyss than it might be worth giving it a try as some of the details of the game are the same such as the skill system which are instead of being called Artes, they are called Eres. I haven't got very far though because I was stuck
Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 Hinata237
I also recommend Final fantasy XII. It's great :D
brago_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 brago_lover
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts
said millions of times, but Kingdom Hearts 2. My first rpg game on the ps2, and I still love it.
brago_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 brago_lover

if u really say that then why dont u make one ur self like me.....if any one wants to join my sponsors and me to make the ultimate RPG with hours of CG film then take a look at my blog...to see if u wanna help...HELP IS NEEDED like a lot....we pay those to are associated with my game...it will be anounced in about Nov. Our 1st trailer....i talked to ubisoft but NO to busy with AC....i talked To USA SQUARE.....YES SQUARE THEY WILL event my game to appear if i have a solid WORK PROGRESS....Tcloud_striferT

oh wow that's cool!

BrainDeadNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#376 BrainDeadNick
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

[QUOTE="Tcloud_striferT"]if u really say that then why dont u make one ur self like me.....if any one wants to join my sponsors and me to make the ultimate RPG with hours of CG film then take a look at my blog...to see if u wanna help...HELP IS NEEDED like a lot....we pay those to are associated with my game...it will be anounced in about Nov. Our 1st trailer....i talked to ubisoft but NO to busy with AC....i talked To USA SQUARE.....YES SQUARE THEY WILL event my game to appear if i have a solid WORK PROGRESS....brago_lover

oh wow that's cool!

Too bad that's bull****

franklin206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 franklin206
Oh no! Why isn't Final Fantasy XII on your list? Great unique battle system, a huge explorable world with dozens of compelling side-quests and secrets and a game altogether that breathes more life into it than any online game could! The plot is rubbish, especially when compared to other Final Fantasies, but for once Final Fantasy is using its own two feet (instead of its plot) to compell players to play on. Brill stuff!
nylmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 nylmar
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

Valkyrie Profile 2

Legaia 2

Star Ocean 3

these games deviate from the standard RPG battle system.

I hope there is an RPG on PS2 whose battle system is the same as that of Tales of Phantasia...

PandaSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 PandaSamurai
Member since 2004 • 1152 Posts

Valkyrie Profile 2

Legaia 2

Star Ocean 3

these games deviate from the standard RPG battle system.

I hope there is an RPG on PS2 whose battle system is the same as that of Tales of Phantasia...

nylmar

Where have you been? Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Legendia, and Tales of Destiny 2 (not Eternia.) All of those games basically improve on Phantasia's system. I don't see why you would want the exact same battle system, because that would be sort of shallow compared the systems of Abyss, Rebirth, and Destiny 2.  Legendia is the closest to Phantasia's, but it has more depth, combos etc.

Fireeyes: Yes, Tales of Legendia is indeed one of the better PS2 RPGs. However, if you've already played Abyss and you're expecting something like it, you'll be in for one huge-arse dissappointment. It's more like the battles in Tales of Eternia, but with less graphical style and less satisfying attacks. It's also slightly slower. One the plus side, it has an amazing soundtrack. If you can look past the fact it's not like Abyss, (it was actually released 8 months before Abyss and developed by the Soul Calibur team) and appreciate the story and characters, you'll enjoy it.

ZaimmulNaim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 ZaimmulNaim90

my opininion..FFXII,RogueGalaxy,Tales of Abyss,and Ar tonelico.

rronqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 rronqe
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
I recommend FFxii and KH 2.. I'm playin them both and they're beatiful
Etheralfayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 Etheralfayt
Member since 2004 • 477 Posts

(Click game titles for trailers found on youtube!)

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Legaia 2: Dual Saga

Radiata Stories

.hack//GU

Dark Cloud 1&2

Shadow Hearts II: Covenant

ALL superb MUST play rpg's for anyone who owns a PS2.

Also try.. Suikoden IV, Suikoden V, Tales of the Abyss, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#383 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Do I really need to say it? Final Fantasy X. If you haven't played it, you're really missing out. It's the best Final Fantasy out there. Most will say the cliched response to this, "Nuh uh....Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VI is the best...Kefka and Sephiroth are so evil and insane they pwnz0wrz!!" Deep down inside they know Final Fantasy X is the best. Do you guys ever wonder why Final Fantasy X was the first to get a sequel? Pick up Final Fantasy XII as well, that's the 2nd best.
916KING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 916KING
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts
.hack//G.U. has a stylish battle system, great graphics, and loads of extras. There are several flaws to the game such as bland and repetitive dungeons, but overall I think this game is a must-play for all RPG lovers out there. ;)
Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 Hinata237
Do I really need to say it? Final Fantasy X. majadamus

Nope, Final fantasy X-2 is better:D
Avatar image for Mikazukinoyaiba
Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 Mikazukinoyaiba
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts
Has anyone played Odin Sphere yet?
Nithl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 Nithl

[QUOTE="majadamus"]Do I really need to say it? Final Fantasy X. Hinata237

im sorry but in a RPG there should NOT be a jump button........ especially Final Fantasy........ im sorry to say but i think that FFX-2 is the worst final fantasy out there......... NO JUMP BUTTON!!!!!!

Carmilla31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 Carmilla31

[QUOTE="Hinata237"][QUOTE="majadamus"]Do I really need to say it? Final Fantasy X. Nithl

im sorry but in a RPG there should NOT be a jump button........ especially Final Fantasy........ im sorry to say but i think that FFX-2 is the worst final fantasy out there......... NO JUMP BUTTON!!!!!!

I 100% agree! Two recent games which i despise because of jumping, among other things, are Rogue Galaxy and Valkyrie Profile 2.
Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 Hinata237

[QUOTE="Hinata237"][QUOTE="majadamus"]Do I really need to say it? Final Fantasy X. Nithl

Dude, the jump feature makes it even better.
xnight_ninjax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 xnight_ninjax
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts
Has anyone played Odin Sphere yet?Mikazukinoyaiba
im currently playing it. i would have to say eh. i mean for a 2d game it is amazing. but there is a lot of lag when fighting multiple enimies and it could confuse you a little easy.
BigBerserk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 BigBerserk
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
uh they all suck except the final fantasy ones and kingdom hearts
Nithl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 Nithl
[QUOTE="Nithl"]

[QUOTE="Hinata237"][QUOTE="majadamus"]Do I really need to say it? Final Fantasy X. Hinata237

ok....... are you insane, a RPG should not have platforming, it should only have really cool weapons, monsters, and an amazing story line, oh and a really cool battle system,never should a RPG have a jump button, its just .....wrong..........

shiram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 shiram
Member since 2005 • 672 Posts
jumping doesnt deter from an rpg
it can actually add puzzle elements and such
though i'd agree that ffx-2's jumping was lame
Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 Hinata237
[QUOTE="Hinata237"][QUOTE="Nithl"]

ok....... are you insane, a RPG should not have platforming, it should only have really cool weapons, monsters, and an amazing story line, oh and a really cool battle system,never should a RPG have a jump button, its just .....wrong..........

Man, the jump feature on X-2 is great. Alot of shorcuts as well. Being able to jump across the stairs in the Celsius saves alot of time.
BrainDeadNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#395 BrainDeadNick
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts
I just started getting into RPGS and I'm currently playing Xenosaga and Sword of Vermillion, Phantasy Star 2 ,3 and 4 on Sega Genesis Collection. They are all awesome. I really recommend Sega Genesis collction if you like older RPGS or Phantasy Star. Xenosaga is a great game, I love it so much.
xpress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 xpress7
final fantasy
Indalicio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 Indalicio
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I'm currently playing Ar Tonelico.

Think the game has something extra altough the basic levels are a little to basic in my eyes.

An ok battle system and nice characters building.

Little disappointment is the story for me, but i'm not going to post spoilers here.

QERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 QERO

i suggest final fantasy X its a good story and a excellent graphics engine so go buy its one of the best offering rpg out there

Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 Hinata237

i suggest final fantasy X its a good story and a excellent graphics engine so go buy its one of the best offering rpg out there

QERO

Right. Then after you beat X get Final fantasy X-2.
brago_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 brago_lover
[QUOTE="Hinata237"][QUOTE="Nithl"]

Look at Xenogears. It had a jump feature on it. It got a 9.0, better than most rpgs for the playstation 2. And many people love it. Me including.