PS2 really a legacy console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

I mean, they're still making games for it. They're gonna stop soon, but they could at least keep it on itts own for a little while.

Avatar image for EyeShatteredSky
EyeShatteredSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 EyeShatteredSky
Member since 2008 • 1510 Posts

The PS2 is a legacy of the past. Though it's effects are still felt and remembered today thanks to it's undeniably superb selection of fun shooters, smooth platformers and engrossing RPG's.

...Plus it came packaged with a DVD player. How is that NOT a system seller? :P

slipkill89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 slipkill89
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts

Yeah, it's a legacy console.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Gamespot merged the PS2 to this forum a long time ago.... there's no use complaining about it. We already did that when they first did the merge and nothing came of it...
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

No. If games are still being released for it (they are), and they are still selling (it is), it is not a retro/legacy console. And even when it finally does discontinue, I doubt I'll be calling it a "retro" console anytime soon as I usually consider all gens before the current gen "retro" consoles (when the 360, PS3, and Wii came out, PS1, Saturn, and N64 became retro consoles. When Xbox 3, PS4, and Wii2 roll around, the 6th gen systems will be retro).

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#6 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

For the millionth time, yes.

What games are they really making for it anymore? Nothing that gets any realy hype.

There's virtually nothing new comming out for it any more. It, for all practicle intents and purposes, is dead.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Its a last gen console so yes. We are in this gen right now and Sony has the PS3 out so its a legacy system.
Red_Falcon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Red_Falcon_
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Aboustely! The games coming out for the PS2 in the next years are either sports or shovelware.The heyday of the PS2 has been over for about a year.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Well it's officially last-gen now, so I think the debate is over. Check out this article: "PlayStation 2 De-listed From NPD It was bound to happen eventually. This month the NPD Group, which tracks sales of videogame hardware and software, officially removed the PlayStation 2 from its charts. After a 10-year run, Sony's system has finally slowed down, apparently eclipsed by its younger, sleeker sibling. From now on, if you're wondering how many PS2 systems have sold in a given month, you'll have to physically walk to the Radio Shack at the strip mall and ask the store manager. In between stifled sobs, IGN PlayStation Executive Editor Greg Miller expressed bittersweet acceptance of the news. "It's interesting but not unexpected," he said. "The PlayStation 2 turns 10 years old in October. Although the system is still selling well, it's clear that its best days are behind it and Sony's focusing on the PlayStation 3 and PSP. PS2 games are few and far between, so it's time to get on with our lives. Well done, PS2. Enjoy retirement." The PS2's NPD removal comes at a time when the Nintendo DS is fast approaching the point where it will overtake Sony's system as the best-selling videogame hardware ever. The NPD Group expects the DS will exceed the PS2's install base by October or December of this year"
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Yeah, it's a legacy console.

slipkill89

agreed. If it's not current gen, it's legacy. That simple. and they arent really developing games for the ps2 right now. the best games they get are backward-engineered psp games like Secret Agent Clank or Motorstorm Artic Edge (and those arent even recent either)

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I was going to mention it getting de-listed from the NPD reports, but Emerald_Warrior beat me to it.

Definitely a last-gen system and with the way things are going right now and the losses it made for Sony in the past year, Sony will either be drastically cutting shipments or calling it a day for the PS2 altogether.

Not even Amazon sells it here in the UK anymore... it can only be bought second-hand.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yep it is a legacy console. Even if a few games are still being released for it. The Playstation 2 does have quite a legacy and the largest game library ever. There is PS2 3500/5000 series (The epic phat PS2) and Slimlines 7000 & 9000 serries. But it is still a current console until that last game is released. (techinically) which mostlikely will be Madden 2012.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#13 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

actually npd took ps2 off the charts ,,

so that should answer your question

also name a game thats comin soon for it ,

that doesnt or isnt made aftewr a movie , tie or somthing like lips or karookee revolution

the ps2 for me died back in 2008 when the last good game was wwe 2009

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#14 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i think the term 'legacy' is a bit silly. just 'old' consoles sounds better.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

For the millionth time, yes.

What games are they really making for it anymore? Nothing that gets any realy hype.

There's virtually nothing new comming out for it any more. It, for all practicle intents and purposes, is dead.

BuryMe

Just recently PS2 owners in America got the english version of "Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love", which got a 9/10 on IGN. Granted it's not a new game, but rather a localized version of an older game. It also got the latest Silent Hill game which, while not a highly hyped game, is a series with a loyal fan following.

But perhaps most importantly, it's still sold in stores. It's still on the market, and in production.

cornerback3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 cornerback3
Member since 2007 • 3461 Posts
Legacy, my foot.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#17 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I suppose that the PS2 would be considered a legacy console, if you define a legacy console to be any console from a previous generation.

common_fate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 common_fate
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

It's legacy... and does it really matter? Do you still buy new games for it? No. Then how is it not legacy?

Avatar image for CaptianPeachfuz
CaptianPeachfuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 CaptianPeachfuz
Member since 2005 • 402 Posts

Of course! With monumental titles such as: Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, MSG 2 &3, Jak series, Ratchet and Clank series, Killzone, Sly Cooper series, Katamari series, The Getaway, Gran Theft Auto series, Tekken series, Soul Calibur series, and much more!! You can't dispute the fact that the PS2 will be remembered as a legacy system. The reason why Sony is still releasing PS2 titles is because of Sony's ten year commitment to it's consoles. Sony ceased production of PS One games in 2004. 10 years after the launch of the Playstation in 1994. I was still playing my PS2 even when Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 was released. That states a lot about a system: graphics isn't everything.