PS2- Can I output better video?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Laiska_pummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Laiska_pummi
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

I have the red/white/yellow cables. Composite I think. I have a new HDYV and quality is... horrifying.

So I'm asking is there an adapter to HDMI or, perhaps, a cable. And is component better than Av cable which came with the console? In case of the HDMI is impossible.

Laiska_pummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Laiska_pummi

Forgot! I'm in europe and the format is PAL if that matters.

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
Component cables are the best it will get for ps2.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

since youre from Europe, the best connection you can get is RGB SCART, its not that expensive and has great picture quality

if you buy one, be careful as not all SCART leads are RGB, they may be composite or AV, which are a far lower quality.

make sure it says RGB on it

kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
yup rgb is the way to go, then svid, the yellow red and white.
Laiska_pummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Laiska_pummi

Thanks. I will keep my eyes open for RGB cables.

Laiska_pummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Laiska_pummi

I checked my local game gameshops site and there's two kinds of these. I don't know if there's any diffirence, but the other one is 15€ and the other 25€. The both have AV output in the middle. The more expensive one says it's "logic 3". Does it mean it's better or should I get the other one.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Is one labeled Sony and the other labeled something more generic? That could be the difference in the price....

As for the middle being AV output, I have no idea what you're talking about there. Component cables usually just have 3 cables... labeled, Red, Blue, and Green. And only sometimes they have Left and Right audio. Most likely, if a cable is just labeled as AV... then it's not component, it's composite. And you don't want that. Composite cables are seperatated betweens Video, and left and right audio. Neatless to say, having one cable defined as video, is going to be very grainy. Composite cables are what the PS2 comes with orginally....

I think the Sony brand has Red, Blue, Green, and Left and Right audio. Also, PS3 cables will work on the PS2, and most likely, you'll not find any labeled for PS2 anymore. So, you're best bet is to search the PS3 section, of the store. For example....

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Thanks. I will keep my eyes open for RGB cables.

Laiska_pummi
if youre looking for them might I suggest this one http://www.genkivideogames.com/games/multi-format-cable-logic-3-mischardware/pxg871 its not expensive and it has connections for the PS1/2 , Xbox, Gamecube/N64/SNES and it outputs both RGB Scart and AV scart (you can choose via a switch), it also has S-Video, but since you live in Europe, you wont need it. I use this cable , and its excellent
Laiska_pummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Laiska_pummi

I mean that it had the three holes (red/yelloe/white) in the middle, like a box or something. I'll look up for the picture. here http://www.vpd.fi/kuvat/ps3_rgb_scart_logic_3.jpg. Said it was for stereo or something. But the cable was just labelled RGB Scart, with no company names if Logic 3 isn't a company.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Threesixtyci

Yellow, white and red....is composite. Yellow stands for video, and the white and red are the audio channels. If you buy that and use those RCA jacks, it'll be no different than the stock cables that you already have. But I imagine if you only use that Scart connection, then you'll notice the better picture. We don't have that sort of connection where I'm at, so I wouldn't know anything about Scart.

I'd also be wary of that mulit format cable that was posted earlier. Such devices usually end up having lots of built in interference that defeats the purpose of going HDMI or Component. You usually noticed wavy lines on the screen, with such multi-function devices, especially those with such a cheap price tag

Laiska_pummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Laiska_pummi

My current output is just the regular yellow/red/white going to a scart adapter and that to the TV. All came with the ps2.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Threesixtyci

My current output is just the regular yellow/red/white going to a scart adapter and that to the TV. All came with the ps2.

Laiska_pummi

Yeah... that's composite. A basic explaination....

I kinda doubt the overall picture will be better on a device that converts the signal to multi video channels, than using a component cable all the way thru. I mean, the PS2 has the option of component output, built into it.

Those cable type converters, only convert the composite signal into a component signal.... It's just not the same thing, because the source is still limited by the composite signal that it began with. Where as the PS2 is able to use a component cable signal from it's source and there is a switch for it in the PS2's menu options.

Laiska_pummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Laiska_pummi

[QUOTE="Laiska_pummi"]

Threesixtyci

Yeah... that's composite. A basic explaination....

I kinda doubt the overall picture will be better on a device that converts the signal to multi video channels, than using a component cable all the way thru. I mean, the PS2 has the option of component output, built into it.

Those cable type converters, only convert the composite signal into a component signal.... It's just not the same thing, because the source is still limited by the composite signal that it began with. Where as the PS2 is able to use a component cable signal from it's source and there is a switch for it in the PS2's menu options.

Next time I go to some store or a game strore I'll keep my eyes open for composite.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Threesixtyci

You mean... Component, not composite. Composite is the low end cable that the PS2 comes with. This PS3 cable will work on a PS2...

Also, once you get the cable, don't forget to change the output option in the PS2. Start the PS2 without a disk inserted and go to the video settings and change it to component, or it could be labeled as "Y - Pb - Pr". I don't really remember. Also, if you want surround sound, you can only get that via an optical cable (that trapdoor looking connection that throws out a red light if you push the flap in...), connected to a 5.1 receiver of some sort.