Pre-ordering games, still? in 2011

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LazyGamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 LazyGamerX
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts

I was just at the duke nukem forum and was reading people comments and a lot of people where talking about how they had pre-ordered that game and were very disappointed after playing the demo.

Why in 2011 where reviews are readily available for games pretty much the day that games come out would you risk wasting money on a game before you even know if its good or not? Its not like the store is going to run out of copy's and if they do go to another store lol it ridiculous. Its such a dumb marketing scam that Im surprised is still going on, the only incentive that they give you is some in game item. Really is that worth the $60 chance that the game is crap.

lKoRuPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lKoRuPT
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts

It's basically an interest-free loan for them (if you pay in cash). I never pre-order anything.

cain19822004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cain19822004
Member since 2005 • 1382 Posts

I was just at the duke nukem forum and was reading people comments and a lot of people where talking about how they had pre-ordered that game and were very disappointed after playing the demo.

Why in 2011 where reviews are readily available for games pretty much the day that games come out would you risk wasting money on a game before you even know if its good or not? Its not like the store is going to run out of copy's and if they do go to another store lol it ridiculous. Its such a dumb marketing scam that Im surprised is still going on, the only incentive that they give you is some in game item. Really is that worth the $60 chance that the game is crap.

LazyGamerX

Some stores offer extra incentives for pre-ordering, like bonus content, to encourage gamers to pre-order.

If you don't like it, don't do it, but don't whine what other people do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Pre-order bonuses and discounts.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Yeah, bonuses and discounts are the only good reasons to do it, and of those, getting a discount is the only legitimate reason (preorder bonuses, especially retailer specific ones, are a sham).

I mean, for the next two days in Canada, if you preorder three or more games shown at E3 from Future Shop, you get $20 off each one. That's a pretty goddamn fantastic deal and definitely something that makes preordering worth it.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Pre order Bonuses, incentives, Early access to Beta. Why not? I don't need a review to tell me whether or not to buy a game.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I can't remember the last game I preordered. I ussually wait for a sale.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

It's basically an interest-free loan for them (if you pay in cash). I never pre-order anything.

lKoRuPT

That's the wrong attitude to have, in my opinion.

A long time ago, I used to work for Gamestop, during around the time Grand Theft Auto III came out. I had a customer come in, buy a game, and I asked him if he wanted to reserve a copy of Grand Theft Auto. He told me "No, I can just come back, on that day of release, and pick up a copy." It was his choice and I didn't push the matter after that. Then, after GTA III was released, he came in and asked if we had a copy. We didn't get a lot of extra copies, only for the pre-orders. All of those was sold out. I told him this and immediately he flipped, angry about the fact that GTA III was gone and that he couldn't get himself a copy. Apparently, he looked into other stores and they didn't have it either. So I gently reminded him that he should have taken the time to put down $5 so that his copy is secured.

I do this practice all the time, to make sure that I am automatically guaranteed a copy of the game, whether it's a regular or collector's edition. That way, I don't have to worry about a copy at all. People should be taking the time to do this before jumping the gun.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I only Pre-order a game If I want it a day or two early.

H4wt_Pocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 H4wt_Pocket
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

I only preorder for the bonuses that you get. I don't understand where you're coming from about preordering before you play the game and wasting money because it turns out to be a bad game. If the game is bad I can just move my preorder to something else down the line and not get the game. (at least that's how it is at Gamestop, don't know about other stores) I preordered black ops last summer at Gamestop, but ended up getting it at Wal Mart and I ignored the preorder for a while. Few weeks ago they told me I had an unused preorder so I used it on BF3.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

It's really simple actually. Don't preorder bad games. It's not as hard as it sounds.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
amazon often gives a $10 or $20 credit when you preorder a game ;) so yeah, i definitely do preorder cuz of that.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

I hardly ever pre-order games. I usually just wait until the price has fallen.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#14 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

Amazon gives nice little discounts and doesn't require anything up front. I may get Arkham that way because I don't want to wait to play it, but I'd also like $10-15 off.

Companies like GameStop just like the itnerest-free loan, as others have said, and the whole "bonus content" for pre-orders is just a scam. EA drove me away from Dragon Age 2 with their absolutely ridiculous "long window" pre-order program.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Well, if you there is those hardcore fans that will buy a product regardless of its success, and afterall Duke Nukem is a franchise despite the length from the last installment. Pre-order offers discount and goodies + gamestop throws away their junk for free @ midnight launches, but I dont really care for that anymore.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Amazon gives nice little discounts and doesn't require anything up front. I may get Arkham that way because I don't want to wait to play it, but I'd also like $10-15 off.

Companies like GameStop just like the itnerest-free loan, as others have said, and the whole "bonus content" for pre-orders is just a scam. EA drove me away from Dragon Age 2 with their absolutely ridiculous "long window" pre-order program.

JonathanL

exactlly those "bonuses" for preodering for gamestop are a joke. You want me to preorder give something real like discount or giftcard for future purchase like on amazon and I know Kmart has good deals on new stuff but I donno about preorders.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I pre-order online, I ger extra stuff (like the Duke Nukem Beta code) and sometimes better value (Dragon Age 2 or godies from the retailer). Also I do not pay a penny for the pre-order, I get the game day 1 or even a few days earlier, I can pay them within 30 days. I can just make my pre-orders for 1, 2 months and I don't need to care at all, if I don't want the game, I can cancel it whenever I want without paying a penny. Why wouldn't I want to pre-order?

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I preorder on amazon. 8)

I preordered Duke Nukem and played the demo, then cancelled my preorder

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#19 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I usually wait for a review before I buy a game, but with games that I'm pretty sure are going to be amazing (like Forza 4 for example) I will go ahead and pre-order.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
If I know I'm going to enjoy a game, I will preorder. This is only after I've seen plenty of gameplay videos and read up on it. There are preorder bonuses as well. I have been 100% correct in predicting if I will like a game before it comes out. I started preordering in 2008.
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
I pre-order sometimes, but 1 week before release at most. I don't see the point of pre-ordering many months in advance.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I pre-order sometimes, but 1 week before release at most. I don't see the point of pre-ordering many months in advance.Tykain

At least you'll know, months in advance, that a copy is waiting for you on release day. That's how I see it.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Yeah, bonuses and discounts are the only good reasons to do it, and of those, getting a discount is the only legitimate reason (preorder bonuses, especially retailer specific ones, are a sham). I mean, for the next two days in Canada, if you preorder three or more games shown at E3, you get $20 off each one. That's a pretty goddamn fantastic deal and definitely something that makes preordering worth it.

Is this deal at EB games?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJ_Lae
EA drove me away from Dragon Age 2 with their absolutely ridiculous "long window" pre-order program.JonathanL
I probably shouldn't have purchased that game but I did anyway - and I managed to buy a collector's edition (or whatever they called the 'preorder' edition) off the shelf on release day without preordering. Not that I sent the right message to EA by doing that, it was more personal satisfaction at not having to lock myself into a game three months in advance.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DJ_Lae
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Yeah, bonuses and discounts are the only good reasons to do it, and of those, getting a discount is the only legitimate reason (preorder bonuses, especially retailer specific ones, are a sham). I mean, for the next two days in Canada, if you preorder three or more games shown at E3, you get $20 off each one. That's a pretty goddamn fantastic deal and definitely something that makes preordering worth it.Da_lil_PimP
Is this deal at EB games?

Whoops, Future Shop. I need to correct that.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

Yes, I still pre-order games, but sometimes it does depend on the game. If it is a game that just casually interest me, I won't be in a rush to play it so I will just get it a few months down the line under sales or pre-owned. But if it's a game I want to play a lot, then yes, I will pre-order. The reasons include getting it a day or two early, playing a fresh new game with the awesome feel that it's brand new and of course, the limited editions and whatnot is just a bonus. The last game (and only game so far) that I personally pre-ordered this year would be Homefront. I was going to pre-order WWE All Stars but it was like a week after or something, so I just got it a few weeks later as it would have been a lot of money. At the minute I am considering pre-ordering Duke Nukem Forever, as I really want to play that game. Not only that, but I have never been disappointed with a game that I have pre-ordered or bought brand new. I guess it's just because I know that I will like the game. Before Homefront, the last game I pre-ordered was Medal of Honor, and I bought The Sims 3 the day after release, I got many games at Christmas though. I do pre-order, but it can be a bit tough to pre-order these days, especially when money is tight and I don't like to spend my money as fast as I want many other things too.

EDIT: actually I'm telling a lie... I didn't pre-order Homefront at all... I am tired and I wasn't thinking straight :P. The reason I thought I pre-ordered it is because I got the Resistance pre-order edition as there were copies left, I got it a few days later. So yeah, I haven't actually pre-ordered anything since MoH last year. That will probably change with Duke.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="LazyGamerX"]

You can cancel a preorder at anytime you do know this right? also some people are bad at saving money and like to pay in things in full, not that hard of a concept to understand when you look at it, u like it=buy it, you don't=don't buy it and cancel your preorder. also the preorder bonus stuff helps as well, 20 gift cards ect....
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Pre-Order < Pre-Download