Please explain to me the concept of RTSs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikeneb430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mikeneb430
Member since 2007 • 1036 Posts
Ok I made a thread earlier and I got bashed for not knowing anything about RTSs well now im asking. What do you do. Whats so fun about it. I played Warcraft 1 and 2 and I kinda liked 2. I just would like to know your opinions on RTSs
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

RTSes...

I first got into Age of Empires. I never played against people, but the comp was always fun. I liked the alliances and stuff and getting resources. I also liked making custom maps where I have a giant war in place...

Then I got into Starcraft. The feel was amazing, humans, zerg and protoss. Each unit did a cool thing and wow. Of course my opinion was blown open when I discovered battle.net. Not only that, but making maps was also a great deal of fun.

Then I played Warcraft 3. I liked the big easy icons, but online... everybody used the same heros, the same strategies... It just wasn't fun anymore because it's no longer about choosing which strategy, but about who can do the same strategy the best. That's not to say Starcraft is much different, because it comes much down to unit control speed.

I can play War3 decently, but Starcraft... it's a lot of work. You have to make dozens of workers, control dozens of units, micro, macro wow...

I never played the CC series... I never tried.

My dream RTS would take the simplicty of War3, but remove the heroes part about it. That way the game won't be so stale.

I don't know how strategic RTS games actually are. I feel control speed is a bigger factor. If you want true strategy, you need to pick up a board game like chess or a card game like MTG.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
to be honest the only RTS that i actually like is Star Craft, that one stood out to me for some reason, all of the other RTS's just seem like the same game, but with a different paint job
Goze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Goze
Member since 2003 • 672 Posts

Starcraft is the most perfect competitive RTS ever made, imho. The only game to come close to its perfection of design is Company of Heroes, which occupies a semi-different realm of the RTS genre, that is, the "Tactical RTS" (TRTS).

Now that Starcraft II is in production, I know what the next milestone in RTS history will be... =)

And btw, if you've never played Starcraft, now is the perfect time to pick it up and play through its legendary campaigns...

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

Starcraft is the most perfect competitive RTS ever made, imho. The only game to come close to its perfection of design is Company of Heroes, which occupies a semi-different realm of the RTS genre, that is, the "Tactical RTS" (TRTS).

Now that Starcraft II is in production, I know what the next milestone in RTS history will be... =)

And btw, if you've never played Starcraft, now is the perfect time to pick it up and play through its legendary campaigns...

Goze

You know, I do agree Starcraft is "the most perfect competitive RTS ever made"...  But I'm a bit iffy about saying "I know what the next milestone in RTS history will be" about its sequel.  The Blizzard that made Starcraft is not the same Blizzard that made Warcraft III (though, that was very good, but I wouldn't say it was quite in the same league as Starcraft)...  Can we expect the Blizzard that made Starcraft back to make the next Starcraft perfect?  I'm not so sure.

I expect Starcraft II to be excellent.  The playing field is a wide one though, these days, and I'm reserving judgement on Starcraft II rivaling my second favorite game of all time.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Go play one to understand the concept.

If you're wondering what's the big deal about them, well I guess they only appeal to some people really.  It's cool being able to manage a force and use different strategies against another.  It's all about the strategies.

My favorite RTS ever is the recent release Company of Heroes.  If you don't mind the WWII setting, it's a great game all around.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts
I love building up and controlling massive armies of a variety of units. I really enjoy the large scale of the battles. I would absolutely love to play Supreme Commander as the scale of the battles in that one truly look epic but I definately need to get a new PC for that one.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
RTS should really be about what's in the name - strategy. The reason why I never really got into it though, is the amount of control you need to have to play the game succesfully. Instead of thinking about strategy I'm usually stuck controlling my units and buildings 100% of the time. That's really why I'd like an RTS where you're given some more time, and the AI can take over some of the controlling. Let's just say I'd like a more laid back RTS. That's also why I really liked the settlers back in the days, and I also really liked earth 2150. (which had some features I really want in other RTS too, being making your own units, arming your buildings, and being able to make HQ's to take over some tasks for you.)
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

Can anybody explain how you build up such damn large armys in such a short time?It happens in almost every RTS I´ve seen and is not explainable for me without cheating.Warcraft 3 for example...

the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

Macros, or whatever they're called. The best RTS players barely use the mouse except for moving the screen and giving units directions, all the rest is done by pressing the proper button on the keyboard to have units follow orders, building que units in production, etc. They're not even looking at their base and yet they're giving orders there while the screen is watching and observing a battle.

I'm not very good at it myself either; that's why I don't bother trying to compete in serious online rts games. I much prefer a slower tactical pace myself, although I can see why someone would prefer the Starcraft style. It's the thinking gamers twitch based game instead of shooters.  

lucioanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lucioanger
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

RTSs produced by blizzard always lead the tide of RTS field. You may try starcraft or warcraft . Their  charm showed not only in intense rivalry ,but also in the fantastic stories of background. That's why they have so many fans around the global.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Can anybody explain how you build up such damn large armys in such a short time?It happens in almost every RTS I´ve seen and is not explainable for me without cheating.Warcraft 3 for example...

Ash2X

Build up a number units to collect resources so it's coming in at a steady flow. It depends on the game as to how many of these units you want to build up. Right now I'm playing Command & Conquer 3 so using that as an example I usually like to have at least two Harvesters per Tiberium factory. Then it's a good idea to have at least 2 of the same buildings for you other units. ie. 2 Barracks, 2 War Factories, etc. that way you can have at least two units being built simultaneously.

Kingmohd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Kingmohd84
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
RTS on pc's are a load of fun, and its almost fun with ANY game no matter way...i actually dont know a bad RTS, on the opposite of fighters, rpgs, shooters...
age of empires, civilizations, warcraft, starcraft, even a game called pharoah i enjoyed because its RTS...maybe if you hate the genre youll hate the games, otherwise its a lot of fun to me.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I don't know how strategic RTS games actually are. I feel control speed is a bigger factor. If you want true strategy, you need to pick up a board game like chess or a card game like MTG.

Revelade

I think I agree with you on that one. Strategy plays a big part, but hotkeys seem to be more important. I think they have to slow them down a bit. I'll always go to Civ IV or the Heroes of Might & Magic series for my strategy fix. ENjoyed C&C3 quite a bit, though.

Last_Stand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Last_Stand
Member since 2004 • 3281 Posts
[QUOTE="Goze"]

AfterShafter

You know, I do agree Starcraft is "the most perfect competitive RTS ever made"... But I'm a bit iffy about saying "I know what the next milestone in RTS history will be" about its sequel. The Blizzard that made Starcraft is not the same Blizzard that made Warcraft III (though, that was very good, but I wouldn't say it was quite in the same league as Starcraft)... Can we expect the Blizzard that made Starcraft back to make the next Starcraft perfect? I'm not so sure.

I expect Starcraft II to be excellent. The playing field is a wide one though, these days, and I'm reserving judgement on Starcraft II rivaling my second favorite game of all time.

One of the reasons I loved the original SC so much was because of its great balance while still being simple enough to be pick-up-and-play. The biggest problem I had with WC3 was that it had too much reliance on heroes and the constant use of spells and other unit micromanagement was too much of a pain. SC kept the individual unit management to a minimum (basically the most you had to do was set up seige tanks or storm with templar). In WC3, absolutely everything could do something special and had to be micromanaged. Too much of a pain.

Reading about StarCraft II, I'm starting to think it's going to be WC3 micromanagement to the n'th power. Not sure it's going to appeal to me as much as the original. I liked WC3 and would likely like SC2 as well, but I doubt it will touch the original.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Reading about StarCraft II, I'm starting to think it's going to be WC3 micromanagement to the n'th power. Not sure it's going to appeal to me as much as the original. I liked WC3 and would likely like SC2 as well, but I doubt it will touch the original.

Goze
I must have read something different, because Blizzard stated that there would be less micromanagement in SC2. In other words, SC2 will play like SC1, rather than WC3.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
rts requires time and resource management which allows people to use the combination of the 2 to build buildings and armies efficiently to win 
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

but if you want grand battles try medieval total war but you have to use the battleground to your advantage but when you get the hang of battles it starts to be really good when there are no units that basicly storm the battle ground it's more of how well you use your army is the way to domanate the battle ground