Playstation 2 Discontinued in Japan

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThisIsTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThisIsTwoFace
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts

And so it begins.. the life of the Playstation 2 is coming to an end.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/28/playstation-2-discontinued-in-japan-after-almost-13-years-of-ser/

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I was wondering when they were gonna stop making those things, not for any particular reason, I just wondered how people are either still buying them or Sony is just happily continuing to manufacture them.

I myself still needs to get a PS2, I used to play it but I didn't really play it all that much, the same with the PS1 (I just played Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on the thing), that's it.

Maybe I should invest some time...

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

makes sense, PS4 is probably pretty far into development, there is no reason to keep the PS2 going, even in a limited fashion , same thing happened with the PS1 , when Sony stopped supporting it in 2006 just before the PS3 was released

maybe the console will be cheaper once it gets discontinued , a new PS2 still costs over £100, when it really shouldn't be selling for half of that.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

I doubt the ps4 is far in development

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#5 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I need to get myself a back-up PS2.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
I need to get myself a back-up PS2.Dudersaper
Same here.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bultje112

why? they will be as easy to find as can be in the rest of our lives.

ThisIsTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ThisIsTwoFace
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts

bultje112

An unlikely event could occur where all PS2`s you find on Ebay after the console is fully discontinued turns out to be used and in bad condition..

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]I need to get myself a back-up PS2.LP4EVA2005
Same here.

I've been getting "backups" for a few years now. Including the one I play on regularly I have three slims at the moment. I hope to pick them up wenever I can for cheap. I want to be enjoying the PS2 until I'm dead.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shenmue_Jehuty

While this is very sad news, it's not really a surprise. We all knew it was going to happen any time now. Aside from a few sports and FPS games, the PS2 has had a total lack of games being released for it since probably late 2008. The only reason why Sony has still made them is because people were still buying them to play on the great games on the PS2 (myself included). I'll probably buy one last new PS2 to join my backups in order to ensure I'm playing the PS2 for years and years to come. RIP PS2 2000 - 2012

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NirdBerd

Despite the PS2 still being manufactured for the last decade, why do I have so much trouble trying to find a brand new one from a retailer? I live in the UK, and I've seen nothing.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shenmue_Jehuty

Despite the PS2 still being manufactured for the last decade, why do I have so much trouble trying to find a brand new one from a retailer? I live in the UK, and I've seen nothing.

NirdBerd

I wish I could give you more advice on where to get a new one in the UK, but here in the US, a few big retailers such as Toys R' Us and a few Gamestops still have a few new slims in stock. In fact, about a month ago I saw a brand new slim at Toys R' Us for $80. I thought about getting it (and wish I would have now) but was already in the whole with my holiday shopping. I'd try big Toy and electronics retailers in the UK, they might have some in their inventory still. Hell, I used to work with a company that still had new original Gameboys in the backroom, and this was in 2007.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007

NirdBerd
you can find them on Amazon , brand new. the problem is the price, not availability.
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NirdBerd

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

Darkman2007

you can find them on Amazon , brand new. the problem is the price, not availability.

I've only seen overpriced PS2s from merchants rather than Amazon themselves

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

NirdBerd

I've only seen overpriced PS2s from merchants rather than Amazon themselves

right now, its the sellers, but beforehand Amazon did stock PS2s (I remember checking a few weeks ago) , and it cost in the region of £120 if I remember correctly. obviouysly you can get a cheap PS2 used, especially if its the original bulky PS2, but.....
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

vader.jpg

*Sudden urge to buy more PS2's*

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Or just buy a refurbrished PS3 60gb for ~220$ like a person with a brain.
GunMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GunMonster
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Used to be my favorite console... Rest in Peace.... Seems like PS4 won't come out in 2013, still quite far away....
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NirdBerd

Or just buy a refurbrished PS3 60gb for ~220$ like a person with a brain.JigglyWiggly_

Yeah, maybe...

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bultje112

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Or just buy a refurbrished PS3 60gb for ~220$ like a person with a brain.NirdBerd

Yeah, maybe...

the 60 gb ps3 breaks down quicker than a 70 year old whore

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Or just buy a refurbrished PS3 60gb for ~220$ like a person with a brain.NirdBerd

Yeah, maybe...

there is a problem with that. the PAL PS3s didn't use hardware BC like the Japanese and US ones, they used software emulation to play PS2 and PS1 games. for PS1 games, that works, but for PS2 games it didn't, Ive personally used a 60GB PS3 (brother had one at the time) with some PS2 games and the results were all over the place, some games had visual problems, or problems with the sound, some games had slowdown , etc. save your money and get a PS2 , preferably a slim PS2.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
One of the best consoles ever made, I have a fat launch unit (still works) and a slim. Sad to see it go but time waits for no one. I have such a large collection of PS2 games that it justifies picking up a third one just as extra back up.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

As i type, i am dismantling an SCPH-70003 because i've decided that it's far, far cheaper to buy a couple of spare lasers than to buy a couple of new PS2's.

The only thing that concerns me is that the laser in it currently is completely kaput, and it's likely the replacements will go the same way after 6 years use too. This falls some way short of my PS2's lasting me til i'm 60.

I'm hoping that the SCPH-75003 i'm now using will last double the time at least.

-

As for new PS2's, a quick Google has sourced some brand new ones in the UK for £120. I think this is a reasonable cost for something that will last 5 years without requiring maintainence. I've just decided to go down the new laser route as my consoles are otherwise in perfect condition.

Though i'll probably buy one more anyway, just because.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
Ps2 can be brought on amazon for $140. It's time I get a back up. Before ps2 start selling on eBay for $1000
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bultje112

Ps2 can be brought on amazon for $140. It's time I get a back up. Before ps2 start selling on eBay for $1000helwa1988

that will never happen

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#26 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Make sense, it's time. I need to replace my PS2, hasn't been able to read disks for awhile.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Or just buy a refurbrished PS3 60gb for ~220$ like a person with a brain.Darkman2007

Yeah, maybe...

there is a problem with that. the PAL PS3s didn't use hardware BC like the Japanese and US ones, they used software emulation to play PS2 and PS1 games. for PS1 games, that works, but for PS2 games it didn't, Ive personally used a 60GB PS3 (brother had one at the time) with some PS2 games and the results were all over the place, some games had visual problems, or problems with the sound, some games had slowdown , etc. save your money and get a PS2 , preferably a slim PS2.

Almost all games work fine on the older PS3 model NTSC. PAL is gross, nobody wants that. The only problem is that the console itself may break, but if it's only around 220$ and apparently refurbrished, it isn't that big of a loss. OFC I already have a SMD rework station, I just don't have a clamp or the stencils but that's like 40$ and it will work forever after that ofc.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Damn. To think that this console lasted an entirety of two generations and the beginning of the 8th generation. Truly a testament to it's staying power and massive library of over 11,000 games. Still my favorite consoles of all time.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#29 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Find it funny that PlayStation still charges like a hundred bucks for their slim version. Going to be hitting up some gamestops to try to find a console before its too late.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dudersaper

bultje112
Yeah but as you know PS2's can "break" pretty easily, they aren't the mot reliable systems out there. So I'd rather get one or two new ones now than wait until the only PS2's I can find at a decent price are in poor condition.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Dudersaper

Yeah but as you know PS2's can "break" pretty easily, they aren't the mot reliable systems out there. So I'd rather get one or two new ones now than wait until the only PS2's I can find at a decent price are in poor condition.

I own and have owned over 30 systems in the past 20 years, about 4 of them ever broke, no ps2. game systems are very reliable overall. only current generation can be a problem

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dudersaper

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

I own and have owned over 30 systems in the past 20 years, about 4 of them ever broke, no ps2. game systems are very reliable overall. only current generation can be a problem

I'm not saying the PS2 is unreliable, it's just not the sturdiest one. If I have some kind of accident of tripping on the controller and the console falling on the ground, it can easily break (just as any console), or the common laser problem, etc. I have 2 PS2's (because one has that laser problem and I had to get another), and it's not uncommon to find people that say they went through one or two PS2's. It's also not uncommon to see people who have the same PS2 they bought at launch still working. I'd just rather be safe than sorry and have one around in case something happens to mine.
Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

Why would they do such a thing D:

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Yeah but as you know PS2's can "break" pretty easily, they aren't the mot reliable systems out there. So I'd rather get one or two new ones now than wait until the only PS2's I can find at a decent price are in poor condition.Dudersaper

I'm not saying the PS2 is unreliable, it's just not the sturdiest one. If I have some kind of accident of tripping on the controller and the console falling on the ground, it can easily break (just as any console), or the common laser problem, etc. I have 2 PS2's (because one has that laser problem and I had to get another), and it's not uncommon to find people that say they went through one or two PS2's. It's also not uncommon to see people who have the same PS2 they bought at launch still working. I'd just rather be safe than sorry and have one around in case something happens to mine.

As much as I love the PS2, I have been through two so far (both fat models) that broke on me. The first was my launch model and the second was it's replacement which broke do to a combination of being misused and the lasor waring out. They're better than a 360 in terms of reliablility, but still not the most reliable console out there.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Still rolling with my SCHP-50004, only problem is that the lens doesn't read CD's (bluebacks) other than that it works fine. I really need to get a slim PS2 just in case anything happens.

jimsms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jimsms
Through the 90s from the nineteenth hundred years, just Prang company began through People in America choose the type of credit cards tend to be inexpensive brought in through Indonesia which scenario survived till following Globe Battle We, once the minute card business Numerous delivery. http://www.costumecase.com
jimsms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jimsms
Through the 90s from the nineteenth hundred years, just Prang company began through People in America choose the type of credit cards tend to be inexpensive brought in through Indonesia which scenario survived till following Globe Battle We, once the minute card business Numerous delivery. http://www.costumecase.com
jimsms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jimsms
jimsms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jimsms
norabbitnofun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 norabbitnofun
Member since 2005 • 247 Posts
Is there a chance of some talented people picking up hardware design to allow the self-creation of PS2's after its production is disrupted in all regions? There has been a trend to have a lot of DIY hardware this year (ex: MakerBot's Replicator, and its CPU, the Arduino), so why not extend this to the PS2? Anyone interested? ;) I am sure a team picking that idea up would have a great fan base.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bultje112

Through the 90s from the nineteenth hundred years, just Prang company began through People in America choose the type of credit cards tend to be inexpensive brought in through Indonesia which scenario survived till following Globe Battle We, once the minute card business Numerous delivery. http://www.costumecase.comjimsms

I hope you f'n die

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Or just buy a refurbrished PS3 60gb for ~220$ like a person with a brain.Darkman2007

Yeah, maybe...

Don't forget that those fat PS3 models can overheat and burn the motherboard which is irreparable, just like it was the case with the earlier XBOX 360 systems.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bultje112

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

Yeah, maybe...

Panzer_Zwei

Don't forget that those fat PS3 models can overheat and burn the motherboard which is irreparable, just like it was the case with the earlier XBOX 360 systems.

exactly. this happens all the time. although 360 has far worse hardware problems, the earlier versions die down very quick

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Or just buy a refurbrished PS3 60gb for ~220$ like a person with a brain.JigglyWiggly_
My brothers failed twice and he had a third party cooling fan running at max all the time using it. Personally I will stick to using a gaming pc with a dvd drive as my "backup" altough I guess having one around for games that don't work wouldn't be a bad idea.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] there is a problem with that. the PAL PS3s didn't use hardware BC like the Japanese and US ones, they used software emulation to play PS2 and PS1 games. for PS1 games, that works, but for PS2 games it didn't, Ive personally used a 60GB PS3 (brother had one at the time) with some PS2 games and the results were all over the place, some games had visual problems, or problems with the sound, some games had slowdown , etc. save your money and get a PS2 , preferably a slim PS2.bultje112

exactly. this happens all the time. although 360 has far worse hardware problems, the earlier versions die down very quick

burn the motherboard? are you guys kidding? You can put a heatgun up to a pcb and it won't break
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

JigglyWiggly_

burn the motherboard? are you guys kidding? You can put a heatgun up to a pcb and it won't break

It doesn't break, it overheats and busts the system's board beyond repair.

That's the main fault of the fat PS3 and specially of the earlier XBOX 360 models.

The newer slim models don't have this issue. They might have other hardware faults, but they don't overheat at least.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JigglyWiggly_

what is this kid with disgusting blue text even talking about
the solder becomes oxidized and brittle and breaks
hence why "baking" a 360 works as a temporary fix
you can fix it perm by blowing hot air on the GPU and removing the gpu with tweezers.
then cleaning off the solder with solder wick
getting solder balls, a clamp and stencil, you put solderballs over the stencil and heatgun onto the gpu directly.
then you put that back on the motherboard and resolder it by heating it up again

inb4 some kid who thinks x clamp is a perm fix

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Panzer_Zwei

what is this kid with disgusting blue text even talking about
the solder becomes oxidized and brittle and breaks
hence why "baking" a 360 works as a temporary fix
you can fix it perm by blowing hot air on the GPU and removing the gpu with tweezers.
then cleaning off the solder with solder wick
getting solder balls, a clamp and stencil, you put solderballs over the stencil and heatgun onto the gpu directly.
then you put that back on the motherboard and resolder it by heating it up again

inb4 some kid who thinks x clamp is a perm fix

JigglyWiggly_

Sure, whatever you say. It's not like that's the #1 reason those old systems busted, and why they have stockpiles of those same busted systems around here.

Anyone who does system repairs around here knows about that heatgun hack, but the board is already busted and will overheat again no matter what you do.

If you're lucky you might get the system running 2-3 times, but no matter if you keep a cooling fan attached to the system, it will die off again in few gaming hours. You cannot fix it in spite of your ignorant claim.