playing open-world games, as i get older

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jak3099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jak3099
Member since 2003 • 120 Posts

i've been playing console games since NES back in the day. now, in my 30s, i find that open-world games are just not that fun for me. maybe it's the perfectionist in me, or impatience, but after several hours, it becomes a chore to make sure i read every in-game text, search every room, do all the fetch side quests. it comes to a point where i just focus on the main quest to be able to say i finished the game.

it's weird because i REALLY want to enjoy the games. there's so much praise for games like witcher 3 and fallout 4, but i just get burned out. it's come to a point where i'd rather find linear games instead, games like wolfenstein, dishonored, GoW. (i'm taking a break from fallout to play rayman legends now, actually)

anyone else feel the same way?

PS: i am looking forward to No Man's Sky though :o|

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'm the opposite. I prefer games to be open to explore at my own pace with plenty to do between story missions should I choose to take a break from the story. I don't necessarily dislike linear games, I just enjoy the freedom of open world games. Though, I don't want every game I play to be open world. Surely I would get burned out and start to crave something more focused and straightforward.

tanis8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tanis8585
Member since 2015 • 52 Posts

I also prefer open world games that let me do things at my own pace and when i see fit to do them. Current game is Elite Dangerous. probably have a thousand or so hours in that game and 90% of my time so far has been me mining out away from other players listening to some old country tunes... it's relaxing to me.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I think I may feel the opposite way. Right now I'm practically craving a nice open-world game like f4 or witcher3. I just finished wolfenstein tno btw and I only gave it 6/10 because it just felt rather mediocre.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#5 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I like to play both, depending on what my mood is. If I want to go around doing whatever I want, I'll play an open-world game. If I want to relax and follow a good story and play tightly constructed missions, I'll go for the linear option. I have no preference for either type as long as I'm getting a good time out of it.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I don't play them the same way as I used to. I don't explore every single nook and cranny or hang around areas for hours at a time, roleplaying with my character. But I still enjoy them - just purely from a gameplay perspective.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#7 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well, playing open-world games require more attention, time and thinking on the gamers part as opposed to a liner game. Now I'm not saying you have to be a genius to play an open-world game(cause I'm far from being one) but some people want the quick rush and gratification from playing something liner.

For me, it's a matter of timing, so I like both! If I have some spare time on my hands, I would play something like Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, or Dying Light! But if I just wanted a quick gaming fix, I would play COD, Gears of War or KillZone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#8 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Done well, the open world genre is still my favorite. I've got GTA V, MGSV, The Division, F04, AC Syndicate, Mad Max, Witcher 3, and Dying Light still installed. I don't have hours upon hours to play anymore so I have a huge backlog on these titles. GTAV is the only one I have beaten.

The genre is nowhere near as fresh as it was for me when GTA IV came out, for instance. It's hard for the genre to stay new and fresh when you've been beating hookers for 15 years, which is crazy, because it feels like yesterday I was a freshman in highschool, taking turns doing moped drive bys in Vice City....

jak3099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jak3099
Member since 2003 • 120 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

It's hard for the genre to stay new and fresh when you've been beating hookers for 15 years

sorry, but reading that made me LOL

i always think it would be funny to go back in time to visit 5-year-old me playing duck hunt, and tell him: in the future you will play a video game where you can run people over and punch hookers in the face

FantasticT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By FantasticT
Member since 2014 • 35 Posts

@jak3099: I started on the NES as well so I'm guessing we're roughly the same age. I find it to be the complete opposite in some respects. I much prefer open world games where I can do what I want, when I want at my leisure. Maybe you should change pace for a bit. These games will still be around when you get your second wind. Try a nice side scroller/puzzler like Valiant Hearts or something.