Owning games vs. renting games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThisCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ThisCurse
Member since 2007 • 1258 Posts

Personally I take a lot of pride in my game collection, but I wonder what its like on the other side of the fence. My friend owns an Xbox 360 and absolutely NO games! But he is always playing something, he rents through Gamefly or something and always has the new games on release day and seems to get to play a lot more titles throughout the year than I do.

Just considering if I should stop buying games and try renting, it seems like ity might be cheaper, plus I would be able to experience a lot more games than If I were to have to buy every one.

Meyer1100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Meyer1100
Member since 2008 • 273 Posts
i like owning games so i have that feeling that i can play any game that i have other than 1 or 2 games you rent
Irglegrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Irglegrew
Member since 2008 • 63 Posts

I can't even remember when the last time I rented a game was.

I buy my video games, because if I like them, I want to keep them forever.

CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
I've never rented and don't plan on it. I like my collection of games.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts

Like movies, I like having a collection of games. It is nice knowing that I don't have to worry about return dates and stuff like that. I can play whatever, whenever. I also like replaying a lot of my games.

I can understand why someone would want to rent only though.

Finaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Finaru
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts
I like owning games, and my collection shows that in my opinion.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I could never think about renting games.

I like to play games at my own pace and play specific games depending on my mood.

even garbage games get some time from me as well.

AmbushReality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 AmbushReality
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Buying first all the way. Personally I hate renting.
metaldude05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 metaldude05
Member since 2008 • 978 Posts
i think you could probably rent games that you can just go through and be done with. but most the games i buy either have online or are sports games that you really have to own to get the full effect
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I like being able to pick up a game again years down the road and have fun with it. Renting games is how I ended up not having copies of Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, Twisted Metal 2, and tons of other now-rare PS games (I found a copy of Parasite Eve though, which I wasn't expecting to happen).

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Yeah owning is the way to go, it costs more money but in the end the advantages far outweigh the monetary detriments. I too no longer have those PS1 classic games because I was a renter and a game trader, no longer! I keep everything and you can pry it from my cold, dead fingers! :evil:
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

I only rent games to check them out and if there is no demo associated with the game. I take pride in my growing collection as well, most of my older systems my parents have at their house still, so I am building my current gen collection up.

I will sell games back if the game is not up to my preferences, and it takes a lot for me to take a game back, it really has to suck. The one game this gen that I had to take back was too human, the first level I loved as the beta, but it fell apart after that :( so much wasted potential and crappy developing.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
If you take pride in your collection, then collect on brother (see sig).
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
If you don't mind waiting to get the new games a few weeks or later after their release, then renting's the way to go. I'm currently in the stage of selling a lot of recent games that I no desire to play anymore. They are quickly losing value and taking up space. I just realized that their time has passed and I probably am never going to play them again. Of course I'll always own the classics, but otherwise I sell games after I buy them. I'd rent, but like I said, there usually is a wait involved (Gamefly for instance).
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I occassionally will rent a game if I'm really skeptical on spending full price on it. For instance, I'll probably be renting Facebreaker because while the demo was fun I don't think it was $50 worth of fun. I might pick it up once the price drops down to $30 but since I'm curious right now I'll rent it.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
Buying used games is the way to go. Here in my country, we just buy used games. Most games for sale were already owned by more than 3 gamers. Games here are just circling around. Hehe.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I used to rent all the time back in the NES, Genesis, SNES days until PS1 came out and then I started to just buy more games and if they sucked, just sold them to friends or eBay, I tried gameflay once, but took way to long to get there (Indiana) to the point it was like 2 weeks turn around time.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I pretty much never rent a game.I'm usually confident enough in my judgement when purchasing a game to not have to rent a game.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Last time I rented a game was when I was eight years old, I prefer owning.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Usually I rent if I'm unsure of what to expect in the game which piques my interest. Its much better than buying a game and then feeling a sense of buyer's remorse after you discover that the game could've been better suited as a coaster, not to mention that it saves a ton of money in the long run. Now if its a particular franchise with a proven track record like FF or Resident Evil, then the option of renting becomes totally out of the question cuz I know for certain that I will be getting my money's worth. So far, my intution hasn't failed me.
Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Zcrimson07
Member since 2004 • 3493 Posts
i do both. i had gamefly earlier this summer but there werent really games to get that i didnt already own or have beaten, so i quit, but now i've rejoined since there are gonna be A LOT of games i wanna play this fall that i cant afford to buy. for about 70 i'll get to play any 2 games i want for 3 months....i rarely play games i buy for that long and it costs about the same to buy just one!. i will still be buying gow2 tho since i know i'll be playing that for years to come (i still play the original). I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND GAMEFLY. at least while there are games you wanna try, then stop paying and rejoin when more games come out, plus you can usually buy the game from them and just keep it if you really wanna (they'll even send the box and book
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Imo, owning games is much nicer. It allows you to play them multiple times if you like them enough, and is much nicer for multiplayer games.
Servina2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Servina2003
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think owning is the way to go. My boyfriend is forever trying to convince me that I should rent that way if I don't like it...I'm not blowing 40-60 dollars on a game. I hate renting. You on have about 5 days to rent and what if you really get into this game. Yea sure you can always have it saved to your memory card and what not, but its just not the same. I would rather have my own collection of games that way I can play them over and over without the hassle of having to go out...rent the game..return it and then rent again. Screw that!
killerdog135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 killerdog135
Member since 2003 • 447 Posts

I would highly recommend buying games if you are an avid gamer. I always get the urge to pick out one of my old games and play it and it's nice to have that feeling that I can whenever I want. Although Sony and Nintendo are making it easier to got back and replay the classics but the downside is that you do have to purchase them again. Renting the current gen games now costs a might dollar and I would only do it if I was really intrested in a game but might not have heard a lot about it.

My collection is nearing 900 and they are all easlily stored in 4 snap shut steel boxes that lock with a key and hold 200 games each. Yes I have some I like to keep on display too so they are not all stored in those. Most of my collection comes from used games and garage sales. Garage sales are the way to go if you have access to them. No shipping and handling and most people don't really care what they get for them they just want to get rid of them. Most of the games I get, regardless if they are good or bad, for 50cents to 2 dollars. It really helps your collection grows.

Sorvos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Sorvos
Member since 2008 • 882 Posts
Owning definitely
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I almost never rent games. Even if the game is something that I know I'll just play through once I still buy it. I'm this way with books too, even though I can go pick them up from the library for free I always buy.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
I do both. While I do prefer owning the game with the number of games I like that get released every year I simply don't have the money to buy them all and this takes into account that I also trade games in on a fairly regular basis. I usually buy around 20 games a year not including discount and downloadable games. I'll typically rent about 10 games a year.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I rent most games and buy the ones I'm really interested in, or know I'll replay.

So I'll buy something like Forza 2 or Rock Band as I know I'll always go back to it. I'll rent the shorter action games as I can blow through them in a week (or less) and swap them for something else without being out of pocket $60.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
I almost never rent games, but today I rented COD4 to see what it was like. I didnt want to pay 60 bucks to play it.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

When I think I can beat it in a week, I rent.

When I believe I can enjoy it over a lifetime, I buy.

I've bought games I've rented and I've rented out games I've bought. No reason being stingy when it's a good way to get someone interested in games you enjoy too.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Beware of Gamefly. While I think they provide a good service all around, you should be aware of the problem I described below. It's a post I made a while back in another thread when someone else asked if they were a good service. Don't mind the tone, I was a bit peeved at them at the time:

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay $15.99 a month to be told that a game I wish to rent has a "short wait". If I am paying for a service, they should live up to what they offer. Most of the games I wished to rent were the same as every Joe Blow on the planet wanted to rent as well (the new ones), and more often than not I would end up waiting a few weeks to get the game I wanted.

In the meantime, other games would be sent my way, but not the ones I truly wanted. So if I wanted to keep my name at the top of their reserve list, I would have to remove all the other games from my Q as to prevent them from sending me an alternate game (which would fill up how many I could have at a time and prevent them from sending the new one to me when it did become available) while I waited for the one I really wanted in the first place.

They should have enough inventory to supply demand, and until they do I will not resubscribe. Also, if you decide to cancel, they will offer you cheaper monthly rates. They offered to drop my rate down to $9.99 for a while if I remained with them. Might help you save some dough.

Keep in mind I'm not a member now, so maybe things have changed and they have enough games to fill demand.....but I highly doubt it was easy to get a copy of MGS4 on the day of it's release from them.