Original Xbox Problems?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
I've always wanted an Xbox, so I've been looking at some. However, with the release of the 360 and all of it's problems (mostly with overheating), I'm a bit paranoid. So my question: Does the original Xbox have any big issues I should know about?
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

The laser on original Xboxs suck. It's almost a certainty that with heavy use the original Xbox laser will die.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DevilBorg

The laser on original Xboxs suck. It's almost a certainty that with heavy use the original Xbox laser will die.

magnax1
Aw, crap. I did do a quick google search and I did see problems popping up about the lasers. Is it easy to fix though?
Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

Dont listnen to that guy, the original xbox is a beast of a system and will last you a long time.

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
Mines a release model I believe and the only problem I've had is that the DVD drive needs some persuading to open and close sometimes. By this, I mean that sometimes it won't open unless I give a light pull on the disc tray and sometimes it won't close unless I give it a slight push. Not really I big issue and thats probably an isolated insodent.
[QUOTE="magnax1"]

DevilBorg
Aw, crap. I did do a quick google search and I did see problems popping up about the lasers. Is it easy to fix though?

Probably should be an easy enough fix. From my understanding, the Original XBox is essentially a bunch of computer parts slapped together. I know the HDD can be easily replaced with a computer HDD(that has the same kind of connection and fits a few other requirements).
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

DevilBorg

Yeah, sort of. Just replace it with another laser off of ebay, but it's not like they're new so they probably won't last to long.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts
Had mine since Xmas 2002 and it's still working like it did when it was new. However, it only gets light use, as I mainly play my PS1 and N64.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I've had some of the tray issues stated above as well, but it's nothing a little love *BANG!* *WHACK!* doesn't straighten right out. The Big Black Box is a good system. Some of the exclusives are my fav games of the gen.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
The XBOX is an awesome system, however it is handy to have spares and to know how to clean or replace the laser. And a lot of the time the laser eye just needs to be cleaned.
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DevilBorg
The XBOX is an awesome system, however it is handy to have spares and to know how to clean or replace the laser. And a lot of the time the laser eye just needs to be cleaned.mattykovax
Thanks for letting me know. I heard the PS2 sometimes has laser problems but mine has never had any. So I'm new to that whole area. :p
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattykovax
[QUOTE="mattykovax"]The XBOX is an awesome system, however it is handy to have spares and to know how to clean or replace the laser. And a lot of the time the laser eye just needs to be cleaned.DevilBorg
Thanks for letting me know. I heard the PS2 sometimes has laser problems but mine has never had any. So I'm new to that whole area. :p

No prob. Though teh XBOX is worth having teh knowledge to maintain them.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="DevilBorg"][QUOTE="mattykovax"]The XBOX is an awesome system, however it is handy to have spares and to know how to clean or replace the laser. And a lot of the time the laser eye just needs to be cleaned.mattykovax

No prob. Though teh XBOX is worth having teh knowledge to maintain them.

YouTubes is your friend!

LINKY

Good luck, and good gaming to you!

:D

Keep an eye out for the following, according to your gaming tastes of course:

• Armed & Dangerous
  • Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
  • Unreal Championship 2 ('bot matches are still fun)
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Crimson Skies
  • Call of C'Thulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth
  • Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Buther Bay
  • HALO
  • DOOM III
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  • Fable
  • HULK (2003 Movie tie-in that's surprisingly good for a change)
  • Morrowind
  • Far Cry Instincts
  • Peter Jackson's King Kong

Cheers!

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattykovax

HULK (2003 Movie tie-in that's surprisingly good for a change)

Morrowind

MonkeySpot

Better than the movie and I still like morrowind better than oblivion. Great list in general. While the big black box had a much smaller library than the PS2 its quality consistency had a higher average.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DevilBorg

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Morrowind

mattykovax

Better than the movie and I still like morrowind better than oblivion. Great list in general. While the big black box had a much smaller library than the PS2 its quality consistency had a higher average.

I actually have that Hulk game on my Gamecube. Not my cup of tea IMO. But Morrowind....ohhh. I hope it's somewhat stable. My PC version crashes like crazy and makes it impossible to play >.>
a19tay92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 a19tay92
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

The original Xbox is an awesome console. I bought one for $25 in April, and it has been flawless. I was always a sony and nintendo guy until I bought an Xbox. One of my favorite consoles of alltime!

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="mattykovax"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Morrowind

DevilBorg

I actually have that Hulk game on my Gamecube. Not my cup of tea IMO. But Morrowind....ohhh. I hope it's somewhat stable. My PC version crashes like crazy and makes it impossible to play >.>

The GC port of "HULK" was notoriously buggy, Xbox version was most highly rated, had the best graphics, and no slow-down issues. Try that version and you miiiight like it a bit better. And, I LIKED the movie. Anyone who likes the comics should dig that movie. Woo did a great job of bringing the character to the screen, IMO. Eric Bana was not the best Bruce and they might have picked one of the Hulk's more interesting villians, but the scenes of Hulk smashing & rampaging were great and the idea of Absorbing Man overloading from the Hulk's rage was solid. If you can excuse the pun.

:)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I've always wanted an Xbox, so I've been looking at some. However, with the release of the 360 and all of it's problems (mostly with overheating), I'm a bit paranoid. So my question: Does the original Xbox have any big issues I should know about? DevilBorg

I've NEVER had a problem with the original xbox. The thing is built like a tank, imo. People mention problems, but I find them hard to believe--or just not as common as people make them out to be. This system was probably my most used system of all time--save for perhaps the snes, but definitely my most used disc based system--and I've never had a problem EVER.

Jaymoney1488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaymoney1488
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
My original x box makes a weird grinding noise and tray opens then I get a rrod and a random error code usually 11, 12 and rarely 13 during gameplay. but if I turn it off and wait 5 min the console will work again what causes this and how can I fix this it only happens when I play the game Americas Army rise of a soldier.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#19 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Mine is super old and has lots of use and it never had any problems.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Only a part of the very first launch Xboxes had the cheaply made and problematic Thompson drive all others have the much better Samsung and later Philips drives so buy a later one .

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I've had it for around 10+ years fuk me i feel old) and it still breathes life. Sometimes the disc tray gets stuck sometimes but it works fine.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Mine has issues with the DVD tray opening. Works flawlessly aside from that. There is a fix for this issue though, its just opening everything up and cleaning the DVD drive basically.

LordBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LordBrew
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts
Always keeping a disc in the DVD drive will usually stop the tray from sticking too.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

I still have a launch XBox that I play fairly often and it works great aside from the tray sometimes taking around 1 minute to open. I suggest you look into soft modding it and putting in a bigger HDD as it's the best console out there for modding. (you can also avoid ever having to use the disc tray by doing this if you really wanted to)

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
My xbox is still ticking, don't worry about mechanical part failure (fans, disc drive, HDD) as those can be easily replaced. I currently have a 300GB HDD in mine because the original was tiny. Heck you can even upgrade the RAM from 64MB to 128MB if you're daring. I'd say it is worth grabbing an xbox if you can find it cheap enough.