[Original Xbox] No HD with component cable?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarioVerkerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MarioVerkerk
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

Will keep it short and sweet...

Got an original (first) Xbox, component cable and a HDTV but no HD options in the xbox's dashboard.

Help please!

FortuneInLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FortuneInLies
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts
The original Xbox was not a HD supported console thus has no HD options.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

well some Xbox original games say "HDTV 480P" on the back of their case. But you wont see any higher resolution than that. I'm not even sure you'd see a difference using component cables vs the original composite cables.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well some Xbox original games say "HDTV 480P" on the back of their case. But you wont see any higher resolution than that. I'm not even sure you'd see a difference using component cables vs the original composite cables.

Talldude80
of course you would see a difference between composite and component, saying otherwise is ludicrous since component is basically compressed RGB, its about as good as RGB, and vastly better then composite, which looks blurry on any TV but especially on a lower quality HDTV. the advantage component has it that it supports 480p , allowing the use of progressive scan in the games that support it, RGB SCART has no support for that, and composite is complete rubbish , only a bit better then RF.
MarioVerkerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MarioVerkerk

The original Xbox is supporting 480p, 720p and 1080i. The thing is/was with the original xbox is that the games needed to support HD as well. So no bullsh.. about that it's not possible with that console.

I know there should be an HD option in the dashboard. But that panel is not appearing.

Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

The original Xbox was not a HD supported console thus has no HD options. FortuneInLies

Dont say things when you have no idea what you are talking about. I just play the games on my 360 and they play in hd, like doom 3.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="FortuneInLies"]The original Xbox was not a HD supported console thus has no HD options. 19elderscroll86

Dont say things when you have no idea what you are talking about. I just play the games on my 360 and they play in hd, like doom 3.

there is a difference between playing the game via an HDMI cable, and a game supporting HD resolutions. you can play PS1 games on a PS3 , that does not mean the games are HD in any way, the picture might be better simply because HDMI provides a better picture quality then even RGB (though I personally find PS1 games being upscaled on the PS3 actually look worse, though I am in the minority on that) however, if a game supports 480p , then you can use component cables with the Xbox (or any other compatible console) to get progressive scan, which will offer a decent improvement over the standard res.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Did the original xbox have updates? I wonder if that has something to do with it, because I know what you are talking about. If I had mine with me I'd try and help you out, but unfortunately I don't. There was an option that said "hd" or "480p/720p" output. Interesting. There were games that supported it as well. Nba 2k(forget the exact year) was a 720p game.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

The original Xbox is supporting 480p, 720p and 1080i. The thing is/was with the original xbox is that the games needed to support HD as well. So no bullsh.. about that it's not possible with that console.

I know there should be an HD option in the dashboard. But that panel is not appearing.

MarioVerkerk

only a couple games supported 720/1080. I think the option would probably be within the game itself somewhere under the options.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

There should be the option for 480p and 16:9 in the Video section of the dashboard. Before you put a disc in on the dashboard, go to settings and then Video, you should find the options there.

About 90% of all Xbox games support at least 480p but not all do and not all support 16:9 widescreen as well. There are even a few games that support 720p. So before you start up a game check this list here:http://hdgames.net/. Look up the game your playing and check what settings it supports and then set the Xbox to those setting before hand.

You're good to go.

Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

[QUOTE="19elderscroll86"]

[QUOTE="FortuneInLies"]The original Xbox was not a HD supported console thus has no HD options. Darkman2007

there is a difference between playing the game via an HDMI cable, and a game supporting HD resolutions. you can play PS1 games on a PS3 , that does not mean the games are HD in any way, the picture might be better simply because HDMI provides a better picture quality then even RGB (though I personally find PS1 games being upscaled on the PS3 actually look worse, though I am in the minority on that) however, if a game supports 480p , then you can use component cables with the Xbox (or any other compatible console) to get progressive scan, which will offer a decent improvement over the standard res.

Games like halo 2 and doom 3 support 480p hd, so i can play them in hd through my 360.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="19elderscroll86"]

19elderscroll86

Games like halo 2 and doom 3 support 480p hd, so i can play them in hd through my 360.

well, those are the 480p games I was talking about, but if a game does not support progressive scan , then it won't be HD, no matter what you play it on. sure you could upscale it, but that is never going to look as good as when a game is designed for higher res, and in fact sometimes makes some games actually look worse.
MarioVerkerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MarioVerkerk

@AcidSoldner

That's the problem... that option (HD) isn't there... just the 3 TV-types. Standard, letterbox and widescreen.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

@AcidSoldner

That's the problem... that option (HD) isn't there... just the 3 TV-types. Standard, letterbox and widescreen.

MarioVerkerk
That is extremely odd. I assume you purchased it used? While I didn't own an Xbox in it's heyday, I want to rule out the fact that HD support was added in some sort of update. Now I could be completely wrong in this but I find it odd considering all Xbox launch titles had 480p support, yet Xbox Live itself wasn't up till a year later in November 15, 2002. If someone can check me on this or knows, that would be great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Just to double check, you ARE using the component cable box, right? I know there was an S-video one as well. Both also allowed the use of composite cables, i believe, but only the actual component box supported the HD formats. I could be making this up, but I could be remembering a switch on the component box, itself?

MarioVerkerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MarioVerkerk

The cable I'm using only has 5 rca connectors, 3 for video 2 for audio... It hasn't got any other features or boxes in/on it. 99% sure this is the same cable: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R597ZT9FL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

The cable I'm using only has 5 rca connectors, 3 for video 2 for audio... It hasn't got any other features or boxes in/on it. 99% sure this is the same cable: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R597ZT9FL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

MarioVerkerk

Then that must be the problem. I'm almost certain you need one of these...

dfadfs

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Talldude80

just to clarify it for everyone that hasnt understood yet. 480p is NOT HD. 480p is the best the wii does, and we all know the wii is NOT hd. and no there is NO menu on the xbox original dashboard for "HD options". the p stands for progressive scan, which technically is just an enhancement. 480i means interlaced (standard def). using your xbox360 to play some xbox games might upconvert the graphics, but it will still not be HD.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
This might help a little: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_HD_support I don't believe you are going to find an HD option on the Xbox 1 because there isn't any, the machine is capable of running games up to 1080p but only if the game is programmed to do so, there is no switch for it to run all games in 1080p by default. I have a PS2 hooked to an HDTV with component cables and it works in a similar matter, I can set the PS2 to display in 16:9 and YPbPr output, but that doesn't make all games run in 480p widescreen automatically. You gotta look for that option within the game itself and turn them on manually. If the game is not programmed to run with progressive scan at high resolution from the get go, it won't work.
sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

what the guy above me said...and if I'm not mistaken, 480p isn't hd. To be considered HD, res has to at least be 1024x768. Like I said there are HD boxes/vga boxes you could use, but that wouldn't make the games hd unless its supported.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

what the guy above me said...and if I'm not mistaken, 480p isn't hd. To be considered HD, res has to at least be 1024x768. Like I said there are HD boxes/vga boxes you could use, but that wouldn't make the games hd unless its supported.

sayyy-gaa

I'm pretty sure the OP is aware of this. His question is about an option on the dashboard that isn't showing up, but should be there. It's more about getting the best picture out of the xbox. And believe it or not, but some games actually ran in 720p.

MarioVerkerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MarioVerkerk

@ Heirren

I see, I think that black-box-thingy should "unlock" that HD option I saw somewhere. (http://www.datapro.net/images/xbox_video_settings.jpg)

Ok, I'm off to Ebay! :D

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I certainly don't have this issue with official Xbox component cables. (Mine's the second revision, non-breakout box type, extremely thick.) Perhaps yours is a third-party cable that screwed up somewhere? I don't get why it wouldn't bring up the HD options in the dashboard, but you definitely need to enable them in the dashboard before any game that supports those video modes will actually switch over. And if anyone honestly believes that no game on the Xbox supports the HD modes, I'll gladly prove them wrong with the help of Steel Battalion: Line of Contact. (No, the original singleplayer disc doesn't support 720p or 16:9.) It's not the only game, either, though I don't own one of the other 720p-capable ones.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Talldude80

I certainly don't have this issue with official Xbox component cables. (Mine's the second revision, non-breakout box type, extremely thick.) Perhaps yours is a third-party cable that screwed up somewhere? I don't get why it wouldn't bring up the HD options in the dashboard, but you definitely need to enable them in the dashboard before any game that supports those video modes will actually switch over. And if anyone honestly believes that no game on the Xbox supports the HD modes, I'll gladly prove them wrong with the help of Steel Battalion: Line of Contact. (No, the original singleplayer disc doesn't support 720p or 16:9.) It's not the only game, either, though I don't own one of the other 720p-capable ones.NamelessPlayer

The Warriors, Soul Calibur II, and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction also support 720p

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts
If he has just a component cable setup he doesn't need progressive scan imo. I play with the s-video advance pak on a 42" plasma and the picture is great and I use the optical toslink with a surround system.
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

MarioVerkerk

Have you tried the options menus in the games that support HD? I was aware that a few Xbox games supported HD but that option never apppeared on the console's main menu.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

[QUOTE="MarioVerkerk"]

Master_Hermes

Have you tried the options menus in the games that support HD? I was aware that a few Xbox games supported HD but that option never apppeared on the console's main menu.

The games don't give you display options in-game. They just check the Xbox dashboard settings and decide what video output mode to use. If a 720p-capable game sees that 720p is enabled in the dashboard, it automatically switches to 720p. Same goes for aspect ratio settings in 480i/480p, though some games will force 16:9 in 480p for whatever reason (Halo 2). Other games only render properly in 4:3 when running in 480p (Jet Set Radio Future).
DanBal76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DanBal76
Member since 2003 • 1950 Posts

The original Xbox was not a HD supported console thus has no HD options. FortuneInLies

Yes, it is. If i'm not mistaken, over 40 games on the original Xbox are 720p, and 6 are 1080i. But yes, the majority of games support enhanced definition only (480p), and very few are only 480i.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

Will keep it short and sweet...

Got an original (first) Xbox, component cable and a HDTV but no HD options in the xbox's dashboard.

Help please!

MarioVerkerk
You need to soft mod it and get xbox media center and then you can chang eit to 480, 720 and 1080 but it only works with ntsc games (can still get that on a pal console)
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

Did the original xbox have updates? I wonder if that has something to do with it, because I know what you are talking about. If I had mine with me I'd try and help you out, but unfortunately I don't. There was an option that said "hd" or "480p/720p" output. Interesting. There were games that supported it as well. Nba 2k(forget the exact year) was a 720p game.

Heirren
You can only get 480,720 and 1080 on a ntsc xbox unless you mod it