Old games you want to play but can't?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

pete1.gif

pete2.gif

Power Pete -- an old mac game I used to play when I was a kid.  Doesn't run on my PC (obvously).

dk64.jpg

I no longer have an N64 and don't want to rebuy the system, game, and graphics expansion pack.

I've been holding out for a rerelease for ages, now.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Robo Alleste and Silpheed - I bought both these games because they were excellent deals when I found them, however I do not own a Sega CD. I've been trying to find a working one high and low, but have come up with nothing so far :(

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - I own this game and a Gamecube to play it on, however my copy is missing disc 1, making it impossible to play. I've been trying to find the disc on Ebay, but either people are asking too much for them or I miss the listings that end for cheap. Someday I'll get that disc, I hope lol

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

DK64 is worth re-buying the 64 and memory expansion, imo.

There most likely won't be a re-release due to copyright issues. (don't ask me)

But you could also try the alternate method, i.e. emulation. (it's not perfect but it works)

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Meinhard1

But you could also try the alternate method, i.e. emulation. (it's not perfect but it works)

nameless12345
I've tried emulation, but the glitches were too distracting. The game has such a cool, nostalgic atmosphere for me and the emulation ettors detracted from that. I agree -- it never showed up on the Wii's VC, so that's kind of a bad sign for the future. I'll definitely replay it at some point in my life.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I play whatever I want, with the exception of insanely rare/expensive games. I have every Nintendo, SEGA, Sony, Microsoft, Atari, and SNK console and handheld (including the obscures like Nomad, Virtual Boy, Game Boy Light. Pokemon Mini, Jaguar CD, Neo Geo MVS, etc) plus the other major systems (Wonderswan, Ngage, Turbografx. 3DO, CD-i, Intellivision, Colecovision, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, PC, etc). Retro games are usually cheaper and more fun than modern ones anyway.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#6 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Ys IV: Dawn of Ys or Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (yes there are two Ys IV titles, from different devs).  Although Memories of Celceta will be the reimagining and true canon of Ys IV, I'd still like to play the oldies.

Also, Ys V, but that one never left Japan to begin with.

Panzer Dragoon Saga.... I doubt I'll EVER get a chance to play it.  Such a shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts

Wow Power Pete, I had totally forgotten about that game. Although the reason I played it as a kid was that I didn't have that many games on my mac, not sure if it was that good tbh lol

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

mine would be suikoden 2. everyone says that this game is the best in the series but konami hasn't released it for psn or xboxlive. im not about to pay that ridiculous ransom to play that game.

also i would like to play the panzer dragoon series. dont have a dreamcast

ultramega9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ultramega9
Member since 2006 • 178 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Meinhard1
I've tried emulation, but the glitches were too distracting. The game has such a cool, nostalgic atmosphere for me and the emulation ettors detracted from that. I agree -- it never showed up on the Wii's VC, so that's kind of a bad sign for the future. I'll definitely replay it at some point in my life.

they had every chance to do it when microsoft came to them negotiating for goldeneye, but they just didn't want to do it.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Ys IV: Dawn of Ys or Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (yes there are two Ys IV titles, from different devs). Although Memories of Celceta will be the reimagining and true canon of Ys IV, I'd still like to play the oldies.

Panzer Dragoon Saga.... I doubt I'll EVER get a chance to play it. Such a shame.

NeonNinja

Don't hate me, but I have PDS but I never got around to beating it.

For me, I'd say the more obscure Laserdisc based games that never got re-releases like Time Gal.

-Byshop

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meinhard1

Wow Power Pete, I had totally forgotten about that game. Although the reason I played it as a kid was that I didn't have that many games on my mac, not sure if it was that good tbh lol

Eric_Drav3n

Haha, agreed.  It would just be such a blast from the past, for me.

I'd probably play it up through the castle world, at least.

EDIT: not sure why Pangea hasn't released it for the app store.  Top down shooters are one of the few genres that I think work really well on an ipod touch.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meinhard1
[QUOTE="Meinhard1"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

ultramega9

they had every chance to do it when microsoft came to them negotiating for goldeneye, but they just didn't want to do it.

*sigh*
Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I remember playing Duck Hunter for the NES with friends trying to see how far we could get. I still remember that dog popping up in the corner of the screen laughing his butt off because I missed a duck. I don't know how many rounds I fired into him out of frustration!? For the SNES, it would have to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time. So many memories with that game alone! I used to be obsessed with everything TMNT and that video game just helped ease the addiction more...lol! With the N64 I used to play Turok 2. I never beat the game because of freezing issues or the power adapter overheating from long use. That game was a lot of fun.

For the PlayStation 1 and 2 I couldn't get enough of Resident Evil. The concept behind those games was awesome and I was a fan all the way until after RE: Code Veronica was released. I loved that game, but RE4 and every version that has surfaced since then have been catering to the teenagers who just want to run around and shoot everything. Then came SOCOM II. I played that game hard for two years with my clan and enjoyed every minute of it! The PS3 I have loved and moved on with WarHawk, Skyrim, Dead Space, etc.

To go back to your original question; these listed are games that I have played, loved and left behind for the next generation or next story-driven experience. Yes, a lot of these games can still be purchased with a Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3, etc. but I can no longer afford buying $60+ worth of games for half an experience. I am thankful for my Gamefly account so I have the option to enjoy new games without having to worry if I will like the game or not?

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Ys IV: Dawn of Ys or Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (yes there are two Ys IV titles, from different devs). Although Memories of Celceta will be the reimagining and true canon of Ys IV, I'd still like to play the oldies.

Panzer Dragoon Saga.... I doubt I'll EVER get a chance to play it. Such a shame.

Byshop

Don't hate me, but I have PDS but I never got around to beating it.

For me, I'd say the more obscure Laserdisc based games that never got re-releases like Time Gal.

-Byshop

Wasn't Time Gal on Sega CD?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

System Shock, Panzer Dragoon series on the Saturn and Mother 3.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Power Pete rules, haven't played that in like 15 years. anyways i really want to play through the metriod series but don't own any of them.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

My family miss placed my Memory Card for the GameCube, so I can't play some of my games. Like Yu-Gi-Oh! Falsebound Kingdom, Twilight Princess, X-Men Legends I & II, & etc. etc. etc.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

mine would be suikoden 2. everyone says that this game is the best in the series but konami hasn't released it for psn or xboxlive. im not about to pay that ridiculous ransom to play that game.

jsmoke03

Unfortunetly I will cite this reason for why I can't play many games right now; some games are just so insanely expensive that I cannot justify buying them no matter how awesome they are. Earthbound, Panzer Dragoon Saga, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, and Castlevania Dracula X are just several examples of these. Hopefully a rerelease or something with drive the prices down on these, although I'm almost 100% sure Panzer Saga will never see a re-release, ever.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

All my old Amiga favourites.

Supercars 2, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Turrican 2, Silkworm, Swiv, Chuck Rock, Nitro, Alien Breed, Stunt Car Racer, The Spy Who Loved Me, The Chaos Engine.

I've never owned an Amiga and i'm unlikely to in the future.

I realise half of these are available for other systems or as remakes, but it's not the same!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Wasn't Time Gal on Sega CD?

Exceed20XX

It looks like there was, as well as a PS1 version. I'll see if I can track those down. Thanks!

-Byshop

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

G-LOC on the R-360 cabinet.

I really wish I had played the game more back then.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

Unfortunetly I will cite this reason for why I can't play many games right now; some games are just so insanely expensive that I cannot justify buying them no matter how awesome they are. Earthbound, Panzer Dragoon Saga, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, and Castlevania Dracula X are just several examples of these. Hopefully a rerelease or something with drive the prices down on these, although I'm almost 100% sure Panzer Saga will never see a re-release, ever.

yea...even oorta for the xbox is hard to find. i don't get the price point these rpg sellers are setting....its ridiculous....
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
After Nintendo removed the Donkey Kong Country games from the Virtual Console, that was a really bad sign for Donkey Kong 64. I'm not sure if it was over the music or what. Maybe they'll remake the games for the 3DS/Wii-U. Some I want to play but haven't been able to(yet). Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - I finally played the first a few months ago by alternate means, would definitely buy it if rereleased. First was DOS-BOX so it was easy to get working. Haven't tried 2 yet but it will likely be more trouble. I don't think it's expensive so I may buy the CD-ROM and hope it works. Magic Knight Rayearth - I like the series it was based on but it's a Saturn RPG and fairly expensive. And from what I hear it's not all that great so I'm hesitant to spend the 60 bucks or so on it. I should be able to sell it and get my money back(or most of it) without any trouble though so I'll get around to it eventually. A number of arcade games (Alien vs. Predator, Armored Warriors, etc). Of course the ones that don't have home console releases are beyond my budget to collect and so far I find MAME a hassle to emulate and for now hope that these games get released on PSN/XBLA or something. It's finally happened with X-Men and Simpsons, and pretty soon the D&D beat em ups from Capcom.
TheZanmato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheZanmato
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Final Fantasy VII, of course! :D I want to play my old PS2 games like Driver: Parallel Lines or SoulCalibur III, but my PS2 isn't working right now :(
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I've got a real hankering to play Snowboard kids 2.  A game that should really be on the N64 VC, maybe for Wii U it'll be there, but probably not.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

After Nintendo removed the Donkey Kong Country games from the Virtual Console, that was a really bad sign for Donkey Kong 64. I'm not sure if it was over the music or what. Maybe they'll remake the games for the 3DS/Wii-U. Some I want to play but haven't been able to(yet). Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - I finally played the first a few months ago by alternate means, would definitely buy it if rereleased. First was DOS-BOX so it was easy to get working. Haven't tried 2 yet but it will likely be more trouble. I don't think it's expensive so I may buy the CD-ROM and hope it works. Magic Knight Rayearth - I like the series it was based on but it's a Saturn RPG and fairly expensive. And from what I hear it's not all that great so I'm hesitant to spend the 60 bucks or so on it. I should be able to sell it and get my money back(or most of it) without any trouble though so I'll get around to it eventually. A number of arcade games (Alien vs. Predator, Armored Warriors, etc). Of course the ones that don't have home console releases are beyond my budget to collect and so far I find MAME a hassle to emulate and for now hope that these games get released on PSN/XBLA or something. It's finally happened with X-Men and Simpsons, and pretty soon the D&D beat em ups from Capcom.Eikichi-Onizuka

The removal of the DKC games was just the start of their slow removal of everything on the Wii VC, they'll put them back up on Wii U VC.

Part of the reason we won't see DK64 on a VC is Rareware's Jet pac game and other MS owned IP pieces like posters (or other things, not really sure) of other Rareware games are why it hasn't been on Wii.  But the other part is Nintendo just doesn't care about the game, they could probably do something to get it on Wii if they really wanted to, and they probably know the game's crap anyways.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

After Nintendo removed the Donkey Kong Country games from the Virtual Console, that was a really bad sign for Donkey Kong 64. I'm not sure if it was over the music or what. Maybe they'll remake the games for the 3DS/Wii-U. Some I want to play but haven't been able to(yet). Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - I finally played the first a few months ago by alternate means, would definitely buy it if rereleased. First was DOS-BOX so it was easy to get working. Haven't tried 2 yet but it will likely be more trouble. I don't think it's expensive so I may buy the CD-ROM and hope it works. Magic Knight Rayearth - I like the series it was based on but it's a Saturn RPG and fairly expensive. And from what I hear it's not all that great so I'm hesitant to spend the 60 bucks or so on it. I should be able to sell it and get my money back(or most of it) without any trouble though so I'll get around to it eventually. A number of arcade games (Alien vs. Predator, Armored Warriors, etc). Of course the ones that don't have home console releases are beyond my budget to collect and so far I find MAME a hassle to emulate and for now hope that these games get released on PSN/XBLA or something. It's finally happened with X-Men and Simpsons, and pretty soon the D&D beat em ups from Capcom.Eikichi-Onizuka

The Japanese version of MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH sells for nothing, so just buy that and use a translation guide/ faq if you really must. The game was a launch game for the SS, so it's not that bad all things considered.

I never played the US Working Designs version, but from what I know they removed a lot of stuff to make room for some silly voice overs on the character's diaries.

Also, the thing with MAME is that the higher the version the "truer" the arcade board emulation gets, supposedly, and thus PC spec requierements go higher and higher.

Some games run like crap for me on newer versions but fine on older ones. So if you have problems just use an older version.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]After Nintendo removed the Donkey Kong Country games from the Virtual Console, that was a really bad sign for Donkey Kong 64. I'm not sure if it was over the music or what. Maybe they'll remake the games for the 3DS/Wii-U. Some I want to play but haven't been able to(yet). Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - I finally played the first a few months ago by alternate means, would definitely buy it if rereleased. First was DOS-BOX so it was easy to get working. Haven't tried 2 yet but it will likely be more trouble. I don't think it's expensive so I may buy the CD-ROM and hope it works. Magic Knight Rayearth - I like the series it was based on but it's a Saturn RPG and fairly expensive. And from what I hear it's not all that great so I'm hesitant to spend the 60 bucks or so on it. I should be able to sell it and get my money back(or most of it) without any trouble though so I'll get around to it eventually. A number of arcade games (Alien vs. Predator, Armored Warriors, etc). Of course the ones that don't have home console releases are beyond my budget to collect and so far I find MAME a hassle to emulate and for now hope that these games get released on PSN/XBLA or something. It's finally happened with X-Men and Simpsons, and pretty soon the D&D beat em ups from Capcom.Chozofication

The removal of the DKC games was just the start of their slow removal of everything on the Wii VC, they'll put them back up on Wii U VC.

Part of the reason we won't see DK64 on a VC is Rareware's Jet pac game and other MS owned IP pieces like posters (or other things, not really sure) of other Rareware games are why it hasn't been on Wii.  But the other part is Nintendo just doesn't care about the game, they could probably do something to get it on Wii if they really wanted to, and they probably know the game's crap anyways.

That's your opinion.

Maybe a remake of sorts is not completely out of question but I wouldn't hold my breath due to copyright issues. (the Kremlings and Jet Pac are Rare's, thus MS' properties)

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

[QUOTE="Exceed20XX"]Wasn't Time Gal on Sega CD?

Byshop

It looks like there was, as well as a PS1 version. I'll see if I can track those down. Thanks!

-Byshop

np man, figured a heads up would help since I saw the SCD one a while back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#30 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

For SNES - Chrono Trigger, EarthBound and Final Fantasy VI because people want an arm and a leg for those games.

For N64 - Conker's Bad Fur Day

Sega Saturn - Mega Man 8 because it's super rare and costs 8x more than the PSX version

PlayStation - Policenauts, had trouble burning the english patched game to CD-Rs, wouldn't work on my PSX.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Earthbound....I mean...there is that one way, but I want the hard copy....=(

Super Aleste

and Pepsiman

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Omfg, you have reminded me of power pete. and now I wanna play it :(
ALG_82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 ALG_82
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

One that I used to play when I was a kid but can't anymore would be Rise of the Triad because my original copy doesn't run on todays modern PC. Other than that, every game on every system growing up unfortunately can't hold my attention for more than 5 minutes anymore lol!!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

One that I used to play when I was a kid but can't anymore would be Rise of the Triad because my original copy doesn't run on todays modern PC. Other than that, every game on every system growing up unfortunately can't hold my attention for more than 5 minutes anymore lol!!

ALG_82
It goes on sale for 3 bucks(regular price is $6) now at then at GOG if you care to own a digital version that works(no DRM so you could burn it onto disc).

For SNES - Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VI because people want an arm and a leg for those games.GSJones1994

The PS1 versions really aren't that bad, I really don't think no load times are worth the extra cost for the SNES versions.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

dk64.jpg

I no longer have an N64 and don't want to rebuy the system, game, and graphics expansion pack.

I've been holding out for a rerelease for ages, now.

Just read this post and went and opened my Nintendo 64 and I have the expansion pak. I found my original DK box and found the jumper pak that I took out to insert the expansion pak. I haven't played my 64 in a long while. I don't even remember swapping out these items to add memory. I'll have to play me some Dk. I use to go back and play Conker's Bad Fur Day and Mario 64 every so often. Thanks for the reminder. Sorry you can't play it. I always loved Rare games. I was so bummed when they left Nintendo.