No one is talking about Bioshock anymore

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Did you notice how short-lived the enthusiasm for a new game is? Bioshock was released about a month ago and no one even talks about it anymore: now everyone talks about Halo3.

My conclusion is: a widely advertised game gets up to 18 months of pre-release hype, 3 weeks of spotlights and is then forgotten by most players. Many great games that don't get advertised skip the first two steps and just fall into oblivion.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
Bioshock was a fantastic game, but it wasn't that long, and it was very easy, even on hard. I beat it twice and I suspect that I'll never play it again.
Halo 3, on the other hand, I'll probably be playing for the rest of this generation... and I don't even consider myself to be a halo fan.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#3 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
15 minutes were up.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Eh, Bioshock didn't leave a lasting impression on me. Some things about it just didn't sit right with me.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Bioshock- A game that was flawed from a gameplay standpoint with dumb AI whose saving grace is that it is presented very well.

Halo 3- The multiplayer alone will keep me playing this well into next year, at least until something like Gears of War 2 comes out.

Bioshock was fun, but it was shallow and short, and now everybody is over it. The replay value is very small, and everything there is to do with it has been done.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
BioShock to me is a nostalgic game. It's really great, but it's the kind you only play again once the first playthrough wears off. Kind of like having some good ol' SNES fun with a game you haven't played for 4 years or so.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00

Try reading the threads posted a few days after Bioshock was released, you'll often find people defining it 'the best game ever', 'an absolute masterpiece'...

...and where is it now? Who talks about it?

Does the power of The New influence us so much that we automatically agree with with what the mass says, only to change our mind when the hype fades?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Try reading the threads posted a few days after Bioshock was released, you'll often find people defining it 'the best game ever', 'an absolute masterpiece'...Black_Knight_00
You also had people calling out design flaws of the game either before, or after it launched.

I don't think this is a matter of the power of 'The New,' but merely the downfall of a game that didn't really posess any lasting appeal for most after a playthrough or two.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#9 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Try reading the threads posted a few days after Bioshock was released, you'll often find people defining it 'the best game ever', 'an absolute masterpiece'...

...and where is it now? Who talks about it?

Does the power of The New influence us so much that we automatically agree with with what the mass says, only to change our mind when the hype fades?

Black_Knight_00

I never said any of that. Just read my review.

What happened was other professional reviewing sites bought into their and others hype and had to go with it, no one really put forth an honest review other than the fact they sounded like gushing school girls talking about Brad Pitt.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Halo 3 has awesome multiplayer that keeps people coming back. Bioshock is a single-player only game without much reason to play through again.

I'm sure there are plenty of people talking about it in the gamespace shared forum.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy will unquestionably be a GREAT game. 2 weeks after it comes out, everyone will be talking about Mass Effect. Why? Because it's new. That's the way things are and really have always been.

Trust me, people will still speak of Bioshock (which I have yet to play; poor) for months and years to come, just as we speak of Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts and Ico.

kon4o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kon4o
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts
I want to see what will happen to Half-Life 2 Episode 2 and Portal. HL2 EP2 is a great game, a little short, and not that difficult. It didnt present anything new but its a great game after all - kind of like BioShock. Do you think HL2 EP2 hype (if there is any) will where off too like it did with BioShock? And what about Portal? Yes - its innovative and interesting but how much will you play it after you finish the singleplayer achievments? Well, you can import new levels (there arent any map packs though)... Anyway, what do you think about the comparison - BioShock and HL2 EP2 & Portal?
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
For me Bioshock was a game that seemed a whole lot better on paper than it was in practice. It's certainly not a game I would consider a "classic", therefore I probably won't be talking much about it aside from when saying how much I was let down.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
Well the game was good, but not even all games that rank a 9.0 will be in that elite level of admiration where people talk about it long after its launch. Only a handful of games released each year are talked about more than a few weeks after they're released. There's still plenty of discussion about the game in 360 specific forums, but GGD threads are usually more about upcoming games, recently released ones, and classic games that stand the stretch of time.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Did you notice how short-lived the enthusiasm for a new game is? Bioshock was released about a month ago and no one even talks about it anymore: now everyone talks about Halo3.

My conclusion is: a widely advertised game gets up to 18 months of pre-release hype, 3 weeks of spotlights and is then forgotten by most players. Many great games that don't get advertised skip the first two steps and just fall into oblivion.

Black_Knight_00

I think you're very very wrong, plenty of people are still talking about this game especially developers and analysts...Anyway if everyone was still talking about this I'd be pretty irritated, sure it was a great game but don't make it out to the end all be all of next-generation games. FurthermoreI think it is fair to give the game the credit it is due which has already been accomplished ten-fold, but it also good to move because there are plenty of arguably better games coming out in the next two months. Halo 3 is decent, the quality of the single player was suprising, but the multiplayer was almost just as dissappointing. It really was like I was playing a mod of Halo 2 online.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Bioshock was a fantastic game, but it wasn't that long, and it was very easy, even on hard.I beat it twice and I suspect that I'll never play it again.
Halo 3, on the other hand, I'll probably be playing for the rest of this generation... and I don't even consider myself to be a halo fan.Dire_Weasel

Actually, it was impossible to lose in Bioshock. That's what killed my enthusiasm for the game. One of the fundamentals of a game being a.... well, game, is that it should revolve around there being some skill involved. No game is fun if you can't lose. How compelling would Monopoly be if you knew you were going to win every time you busted out the board? Or how much fun would a racing sim be if you knew that you were going to win every race? Not so much I'd imagine. Shoot the same question at a shooting game that you can't lose and it gleans the same answer. Even the most simplistic games like Wii Sports stick to the fundamental design conceit that the player must have some skill to keep from losing.

Without the requirement of skill, all the player is doing is basically mechanically advancing a story. There's a lot of things that Bioshock absolutely nailed, but gameplay isn't one of them. Any player of any skill playing as recklessly as they want is guaranteed to see the ending assuming they stick with it to the end. I don't like that. I don't like that at all.

To be fair, on Hard Mode, I've been told that the enemies actually use Vita-Chambers occasionally, which corrects for the flaw to some degree, but that's not the default mode, either.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#17 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Bioshock was a fantastic game, but it wasn't that long, and it was very easy, even on hard. I beat it twice and I suspect that I'll never play it again.
Halo 3, on the other hand, I'll probably be playing for the rest of this generation... and I don't even consider myself to be a halo fan.Dire_Weasel

I agree. Really, although bioshock was a great game, it was NOT a game deserving of the ratings it got. It has VERY limited replay value, wasn't the longest to start with, and had numerous other issues including difficulty and technical problems. Overall, I'd say a year from now it will be relagated to footnote status. It just didn't have the impact on the genera of games like DX or SS2. The only thing that may keep it on people's minds is the potential sequels.

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

Without the requirement of skill, all the player is doing is basically mechanically advancing a story. Shame-usBlackley
This is the impression I've had from 90% of the games I've played in the last 5 years or so (including widely acclaimed games like Metroid Prime, Halo campaign mode, Half-Life 2, RE4, Burnout series ...). It has killed my interest in almost all games except those with multiplayer.

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Try reading the threads posted a few days after Bioshock was released, you'll often find people defining it 'the best game ever', 'an absolute masterpiece'...Skylock00

You also had people calling out design flaws of the game either before, or after it launched.

I don't think this is a matter of the power of 'The New,' but merely the downfall of a game that didn't really posess any lasting appeal for most after a playthrough or two.

I have not played Bioshock, but I have heard almost nothing but praise and GOTY talk about it. I think the fact that it is currently ranked at #10 in the gamerankings all-time list means that the OP has a point. The industry (including the fans) are often too quick to dole out praise for new games. Really, it's a self-serving way to hype an industry that is on cruise control. In the case of Halo 3, the hype is probably deserved on the basis of the multiplayer. However for games with little or no replay value ... I wish people would suspend judgement until they can reflect back with a bit more objectivity.
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts

:)

BioShock is the only next gen game in gamerankings top ten of all time. So you're positing industry wide incompetence.

It will win goty's.

The discussion takes place in the BioShock forums. People there know little things like the story.

Few games get the attention BioShock gets. Bringing up BioShock to criticize it in every goty thread just proves it belongs there. Did you read Brendan Sinclair's BioShock feature?

Some people in this thread haven't even played BioShock.

Probably no one in this thread has read Ayn Rand.

Here is the fad and downfall: the same people in this thread's affection for a reviewer named Yahtzee.

Yahtzee was a genius for dissing BioShock (even though Yahtzee said at the beginning of the review, "No one paid attention to my Psychonauts review so I'm going to diss BioShock"); then Yahtzee reviewed Halo 3 and said BioShock was much better. Now we hear, "That doesn't sound like Yahtzee it was an impostor, Yahtzee has gone nuts."

The game should be renamed Rorschach which is pronounced Raw Shock. People have a weird reaction and expectation over what can only be considered a supreme success by any rational standard and to which we will see sequel(s). Levine did oversell it, though. Caveat emptor.

By the way, if you love BioShock, and you love learning new words and phrases like Rorschach and Caveat Emptor and reading important authors like Ayn Rand, watch the tv show Mad Men. Ayn Rand. Mad Man. Little Sister assistant. Advertising. Best show on tv goes perfectly with the possible goty.

StealthRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 StealthRaiden
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts
Every game eventually dies.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#21 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

perfect reason why its not GOTY. people sweat this game, now nobody cares. i was never impressed. i hated gears cause of the hype but i can't hate anymore adn if you still play the game a year later, thats a great game...... bioshock ain't a game you'll play a year from now.

Black_Knight_00
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Here is the fad and downfall: the same people in this thread's affection for a reviewer named Yahtzee.

Yahtzee was a genius for dissing BioShock (even though Yahtzee said at the beginning of the review, "No one paid attention to my Psychonauts review so I'm going to diss BioShock"); then Yahtzee reviewed Halo 3 and said BioShock was much better. Now we hear, "That doesn't sound like Yahtzee it was an impostor, Yahtzee has gone nuts."

appleater

For what it's worth, a lot of people found his Halo 3 review to be pretty weak. He didn't play the previous games in the series, and had no interest in the multiplayer, which is pretty much the best part of the game.

I'm sure BioShock will be remembered as a great game, but perhaps not as great as people initially thought it was.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

To be fair, on Hard Mode, I've been told that the enemies actually use Vita-Chambers occasionally, which corrects for the flaw to some degree, but that's not the default mode, either. Shame-usBlackley

I did my second (good) playthrough on hard mode and never once saw that happen. That might have made things a bit more interesting, actually.

As it stands I played the game twice - once evil, once good. After beating it a second time I felt totally ripped off, and the game does absolutely nothing to make you want to do further playthroughs because you've seen absolutely everything it has to offer in about ten hours.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Black_Knight_00
Mh. I'm not saying anything about the game itself, since I've just tried it fly-by. I was just wondering why the GGD board gets populated by about 100 (interesting) topics about a given game, then in a few days... silence. That's weird if it's not The New that fades away.
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 appleater

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"] To be fair, on Hard Mode, I've been told that the enemies actually use Vita-Chambers occasionally, which corrects for the flaw to some degree, but that's not the default mode, either. DJ_Lae

I did my second (good) playthrough on hard mode and never once saw that happen. That might have made things a bit more interesting, actually.

As it stands I played the game twice - once evil, once good. After beating it a second time I felt totally ripped off, and the game does absolutely nothing to make you want to do further playthroughs because you've seen absolutely everything it has to offer in about ten hours.

You shouldn't feel totally ripped off. You killed Ayn Rand a hundred times.

Watch Mad Men for more valuable lessons.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Well IMO the game was never really that good in the first place. It had amazing presentation, first impression, and appeal but the gameplay was just slightly above average. I was never impressed with the game to begin with, I think the reason it got so much praise and died down because. Things like presentation and appeal only stay for the first time you play through the game (usually that's the case at least) and when they replayed it they saw it for what it was, high presentation and above average gameplay. Also I think people just wanted that "killer" next-gen game. Last gen by this time we had Metal Gear Soild 2, Halo, Grand Theft Auto III, etc. Basically people were looking for that "revolutionary game" you know that game that pushes hardware and shows "next-gen", so they looked towards Bioshock. But in honestly that game really wasn't anything new, it was similar to Half-Life 2's travel fashion only you're in a ship and you backtrack more. But in all honestly I don't think there ever will be a game that pushes gaming as far as those games in a while (though Mario Galaxy looks to challenge it) so it was obvious overhyped for what it was suppose to be. I think most games that are suppose to be "killer" should concentrate on perfecting and introducing new forumlas, but even to those extents Bioshock doesn't meet up too. These of course are just my opinions though.

Avatar image for banjobear_basic
banjobear_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 banjobear_basic
Member since 2002 • 2643 Posts
because the gameplay is simply broken. Many of us stated this major flaw shortly after the game came out. But unfortunately, it was lost in a flood of "GOTY", "Greatest game ever made", "Utter masterpiece" posted by the screaming minority who were only dazzeled by the presentation but oblivious to the gameplay. Not to mention some posters who never played the game were riding on the game's coattail by acting like obsessed cheerleaders, flooding every other posts and regurgitating over-the-top acclaim. They eventually came to term with reality and quietly backed away from the game.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It was hyped to be the second coming of System Shock 2... it was the second coming of System Shock 2... just an exact but dumbed down copy of it in a new setting. It severely under-delivered on what was promised. I remember hearing Levine talk so much about RPG elements in the game and I never came across any in my playthrough. I guess the term RPG is becoming much broader these days.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

I remember hearing Levine talk so much about RPG elements in the game and I never came across any in my playthrough. I guess the term RPG is becoming much broader these days.foxhound_fox

In all honesty I think that's because their are few gamers or not enough that want a full real RPG expierence. We are seing less and less focus on RPG's these days and more on being hybirds.

How many turnbased JRPG's do you see today? How do you compare the sales of SRPG's of now compared to 10 years ago? When was the last time you've seen a game as Role Playing focused as Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate?

I see it similar to the fighting or beat-em-up genre, as their are less of those but more of those that are action-adventure games and have much emphasis on combat (Devil May Cry for example).

because the gameplay is simply broken. Many of us stated this major flaw shortly after the game came out. But unfortunately, it was lost in a flood of "GOTY", "Greatest game ever made", "Utter masterpiece" posted by the screaming minority who were only dazzeled by the presentation but oblivious to the gameplay. Not to mention some posters who never played the game were riding on the game's coattail by acting like obsessed cheerleaders, flooding every other posts and regurgitating over-the-top acclaim. They eventually came to term with reality and quietly backed away from the game. banjobear_basic

Agreed 100%. I was one of the very very few people who actually saw what the game was at first play and complained about it. I remember challenging many forum posters (more like them challenging me because they but in my comments) and ironically some of them are in this very thread I'm posting in now.

But that's what it pretty much was to me.

High Presentation first.

Gameplay second.

ZeldaMaster32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ZeldaMaster32
Member since 2005 • 9263 Posts

People got all overexcited over all the perfect 10s it got on review sites and now that it didn't live up to their expectations, it's the ripe time for the Bioshock Backlash.

I, on the other hand, went into the game knowing absolutely nothing except that it was underwater and took place in the 1960s. I've played through the campaign three times and I am still not exhausted of it. It's my favorite game since Resident Evil 4 in 2005 and I would probably rank it up in my Top 5 games of all time (probably # 4).

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I guess the term RPG is becoming much broader these days.foxhound_fox

Of course. Just put a vague notion of stats and abilities into your game and viola: action-RPG hybrid
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
That's because of mass A.D.D. - hell, I've already forgotten what the topic of your thread is...
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts
It's a great game; Game of the Year at this point, IMO. But it's the time of year when a lot of other games are coming, so there's a lot to talk about. That's all.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
It's a fantastic game, no doubt about that, but it was released just before Halo 3, which quite easily overshadowed Bioshock. Bioshock was a great single-player game, but I really struggled to bother to play it through again, whereas a game like Halo 3 has the multiplayer experience to jump into after you've finished the campaign.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#35 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It is possible for a game that you only play through once to win GOTY. I voted for Metroid Prime as my GOTY for 2002 or 2003, whatever year it came out. I only played through that once, and damn, was it great! Is Bioshock as good as Metroid Prime? No, not by a long shot IMO. Do I have the right to say that no one else should call Bioshock GOTY? No, not at all. The game is amazing, and I can understand why people want to call it GOTY. Maybe they don't need multipayer (it really should always take a back seat to the single player). Maybe they really did feel the presenation was enough. Or, it could all be a side product of the hype.

Also, to Shameus, I didn't use the Vita-Chambers. If I died, I restarted. It's probably why it took me a lot longer to finish the game than others who just let them get regenerated and finish off whatever was left of the Big Daddies before they died. See, I could have used the Vita-Chambers if I wanted, but doing so would have cheapened the experience. Every Big Daddie I killed I did without dying (meaning taking down their entire lifebars without being resurrected at a Vita-Chamber and resuming where I left off). It's exactly the same as restarting from a check point. You had that option to not use them. I'm sure for some, the Vita-Chambers were a welcome addition that let them play carefree and just enjoy everything else.

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

It is possible for a game that you only play through once to win GOTY.

JustPlainLucas

I agree 100%. I like to think that I'm a well-rounded gamer, and I've never played through a game more than once. It's just how I am. The fact that BioShock is short and easy plays to my personal tastes. I try to experience as many games as I can, so I prefer shorter games with good stories that I can finish and move on. I have less and less time to play games lately, so I prefer games I can finish in just a handful of sittings. I'm willing to sacrifice gameplay, and that's probably why I like games like Indigo Prophecy or Dreamfall: The Longest Journey so much.

I'm sure I'm not alone. I've never felt like a game was too short, and BioShock is no exception.

southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts
I don't think Halo 3 will be forgotten as soon. I just think that whilst Bioshock was a really good game, it needed to have been released a couple of months earlier to avoid being eclipsed by Halo 3. Halo 3 is Microsoft's big ammunition for the 360, so now the emphasis has shifted to the best game, as opposed to one of the 360's good games.
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 appleater

If you only have $60 in your piggy bank, don't buy BioShock. Please look up the ancient phrase Caveat Emptor.

I don't know who some of you are referring to. You quote yourselves that the gameplay is broken. Jeff gave it a 90. It's the highest ranked next gen game. It sold like hotcakes. It's getting a sequel. Brendan Sinclair of GameSpot already did a feature on it. The minority is clearly you. I'm sorry Yahtzee disappointed you. But perhaps where BioShock and Yahtzee close a door, The Fountainhead will open a window. Or something.

It's fair to point out flaws, but not this way. Although some of you are able to speak reasonably, others persist in looking at the ink blots and saying things that reveal more about you than the game.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
no mp, simple as that, and the only reason Oblivion was talked about for longer is because its a much longer game, its open, bioshock is somewhat linear
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

Oblivion was released in a part of the year when it was the only new high profile title on the market and it had plenty of time to shine. Bioshock is great, we all played it to our fill, but now there's a truckload of highly anticipated titles arriving from all angles so of course people are going to move on quickly. I'm not going to downplay my experience with the game for a second just because I have 5 games I've purchased since then that have captured my attention.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Also, to Shameus, I didn't use the Vita-Chambers. If I died, I restarted. It's probably why it took me a lot longer to finish the game than others who just let them get regenerated and finish off whatever was left of the Big Daddies before they died. See, I could have used the Vita-Chambers if I wanted, but doing so would have cheapened the experience. Every Big Daddie I killed I did without dying (meaning taking down their entire lifebars without being resurrected at a Vita-Chamber and resuming where I left off). It's exactly the same as restarting from a check point. You had that option to not use them. I'm sure for some, the Vita-Chambers were a welcome addition that let them play carefree and just enjoy everything else.

JustPlainLucas

True, but that can be said of any game. I could call Pac-Man the most challenging game ever made if I decided that the only way I was going to play it was on one life. You are having to alter the way the game is played to make it more challenging, which kind of shows how flawed it really is IMO.

EDIT: Now, if the Vita-Chambers were off by default and the game gave you the option of turning them on after having your ass kicked a few times (a la God of War) I wouldn't have a problem. But it's the reverse -- the game defaults to what is essentially God Mode and makes the player figure out ways to make the game challenging. I loved certain aspects of the game (I think it's the most immersive game environment-wise I've ever played), but the gameplay defaults to Busted. Which isn't helped at all by the fact that the game is just one giant, contrived fetch-quest.

LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#42 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts
its not that we forgot about it.. its just at some point you have to move on and play other games.
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts

People are only saying "it's overrated, it underdelivered, the gameplay sucks" because they were suspecting the second coming of christ. Everyone feels that they should get at least 25 hours or they feel ripped off. Honestly, I've had way more fun with Halo 3 single player... it just doesn't feel as repetitive as the mp. Though I still like the mp, it just doesn't feel like it has a point... your not trying to achomplish anything, other then "get the flag"or "kill the enemy". Just good for an hour or two of fun.

I think bioshock is comparable to a book or movie. Why would you buy a book? Surely your not going to read it over and over back to back. You read it, put it away, and reread it after a few months or years. Same thing with a movie... your not going to watch it multiple times a week. That's the type of game bioshock is IMO. It concentrated on story, and isn't trying to throw hours and hours of replay value. MP seems like a desperate attempt to keep players playing IMO, except in games that get it right, like halo.

To answer the TC question... no one talks about it because they finished it. They'll either never play it, or play it again later.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Black_Knight_00
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

wizdom

Bioshock came out almost two months ago, thats a long time in gaming terms.

00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts

The Orange box came out so no more talk about Bioshock SP its HL2s turn.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]Bioshock was a fantastic game, but it wasn't that long, and it was very easy, even on hard.I beat it twice and I suspect that I'll never play it again.
Halo 3, on the other hand, I'll probably be playing for the rest of this generation... and I don't even consider myself to be a halo fan.Shame-usBlackley

Actually, it was impossible to lose in Bioshock. That's what killed my enthusiasm for the game. One of the fundamentals of a game being a.... well, game, is that it should revolve around there being some skill involved. No game is fun if you can't lose. How compelling would Monopoly be if you knew you were going to win every time you busted out the board? Or how much fun would a racing sim be if you knew that you were going to win every race? Not so much I'd imagine. Shoot the same question at a shooting game that you can't lose and it gleans the same answer. Even the most simplistic games like Wii Sports stick to the fundamental design conceit that the player must have some skill to keep from losing.

Without the requirement of skill, all the player is doing is basically mechanically advancing a story. There's a lot of things that Bioshock absolutely nailed, but gameplay isn't one of them. Any player of any skill playing as recklessly as they want is guaranteed to see the ending assuming they stick with it to the end. I don't like that. I don't like that at all.

To be fair, on Hard Mode, I've been told that the enemies actually use Vita-Chambers occasionally, which corrects for the flaw to some degree, but that's not the default mode, either.

I'm assuming you're talking about the respawns at the vita-chamber when you die. I thought that was a bit odd too. But then I started thinking, what would I do otherwise if I died? I would reload from my last save or checkpoint and continue. That's really not too far off from what the game does for us automatically. And in other games, as long as you have a save point to load from you can't really lose the game either. You died, load up and keep trying.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Ehh, at least Bioshock got some attention in the first place... which is more than it was expected to get...
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

I'm assuming you're talking about the respawns at the vita-chamber when you die. I thought that was a bit odd too. But then I started thinking, what would I do otherwise if I died? I would reload from my last save or checkpoint and continue. That's really not too far off from what the game does for us automatically. And in other games, as long as you have a save point to load from you can't really lose the game either. You died, load up and keep trying.

brianpoetzel

The difference is that, IIRC, the damage that you cause to enemies and such during an encounter is carried over when you respawn from a vita-chamber, which isn't the same as reloading a checkpoint. This means that, in theory, you could go through any fight with just a melee weapon, simply running at the enemies and clubbing away, and whenever you died, you'd just respawn, and be able to pick up where you left off until you killed the enemy.

That's the main problem that guys like Shame-Us had with the Vita-Chambers.

arithmetic2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 arithmetic2
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i believeit was caused by low gameplay.