No more shooters.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 0

#1 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts

I say this because it just feels like all the games are the same because its all shooter games and there are not enough of anything else.It's not like I don't enjoy shooters, im just really sick of it.Does anyone else think this way?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts

you're right. I just thing the market is oversaturated with these. As you said there is nothing wrong with FPS games, just we need to lay off and take a break for a while.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I am still finds the staging of shooters are being innovative.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I haven't had any problems finding non-shooters to play. Try going onto xbla and finding something that interests you. Only problem is that are too many games on there I want, but I don't have the Points to get evrything I want. lol

MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
It's ben a hot genre this gen and the market has become saturated, but that doesn't mean it's not doing anything worthwhile. Modern Warfare was a massively important game, not only for creating the multiplayer experience that everyone since has copied, but combining that with an excellent campaign. The problem is, by coming up with that popular multiplayer format the experience has become very samey. I've only just got around to playing Far Cry 3, which is awesome. It's like Skyrim with guns.
MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
You're playing Far Cry as well! I recognise the achievement pictures in your signature!
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Steam is a good solution. My favorite games so far on there are the Thief Franchise, Torchlight II, Trine 1 & 2 and Hitman Series. Last one certainly HAS guns and shooting elements in them, but most of the time it evolves around NOT using them. And there certainly are more great examples of games that aren't shooters. X Com or AC III recently, Darksiders I etc etc.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i try to keep away from them and buy one once in a while
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#9 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I think there's an oversaturation of FPSs as well. And it does get old and boring sometimes. So you know what I do?

i try to keep away from them and buy one once in a whileThe_Last_Ride

This.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
like any other genre, i just skip the boring entries.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

like any other genre, i just skip the boring entries. LoG-Sacrament

This. I still enjoy shooters but have cut back on the amount of them I buy.

tribalTox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 tribalTox
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

Pretty much this^. and I also play the games I want to play and not play them because everybody else is.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Spot on

I will always enjoy a good TPS/FPS, in fact there's only 3 other genres I enjoy as much as the other two and thats RTS,WRPG and Action Adventure.

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

I disagree. Shooters are actually singleplayer gaming at its best.

You know what though? No more RPG's.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

If all you follow is mainstream gaming, then yeah, you're going to think that every game is the same. It only takes a deeper look to see that the stereotype is largely founded on false premises. Even if you ignore the massive amounts of games worth playing from this gen that don't have guns at all, you can still find a good amount of differences between shooters. I'm told that Arma 2 is a very different game from Call of Duty, which is very different from Left4Dead, which does not play anything like Zombi U, which is a different game from Borderlands, which does not play like Cryostasis, which is very different from Team Fortress 2, etc., etc.

My point is there are always good games of all genres to find. You just have to be willing to actually look for them instead of having them spoon-fed to you through billion-dollar marketing campaigns.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44177 Posts
Well there's little doubt that they're the hot genre but a lot of them are excellent games regardless and they can offer a good amount of diversity amonst themselves. There is still a lot of other great games that aren't shooters that one can find pretty easily.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

If all you follow is mainstream gaming, then yeah, you're going to think that every game is the same. It only takes a deeper look to see that the stereotype is largely founded on false premises. Even if you ignore the massive amounts of games worth playing from this gen that don't have guns at all, you can still find a good amount of differences between shooters. I'm told that Arma 2 is a very different game from Call of Duty, which is very different from Left4Dead, which does not play anything like Zombi U, which is a different game from Borderlands, which does not play like Cryostasis, which is very different from Team Fortress 2, etc., etc.

My point is there are always good games of all genres to find. You just have to be willing to actually look for them instead of having them spoon-fed to you through billion-dollar marketing campaigns.

1PMrFister
^ This is correct, and in addition to those Far Cry 3, Metro 2033, FEAR, Dishonored, and Natural Selection are also all very different from each other. There are a lot of shooters out there that feel different from the rest and you can easily fine great games in other genres if you are looking. There were a lot of Fighting games and Platformers in the 90s but we can remember a lot of other great games that came out of that time.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I feel the same way. It's the truth that game developers are running out of ideas and resort to re-hashing their games to make quick money.

But this is old news.

No matter how much the gaming community tries to stress that Call of Duty is the same, re-hashed game every release, or how there's no point in playing more than one modern shooter because they're all the same, these companies won't listen. These kind of games sell well because little kids, casual gamers and bro-gamers love em. It's a sad truth.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I'm looking forward to Bioshock Infinite :)!
svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#20 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

It's the genre that sells more than probably all other genre's combined. With action being a close second. Thats why there are so many, devs know Guns = sales.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I've had no problem finding plenty of other games to play.

Looking forward to Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light tho.

Retrogamer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Retrogamer24
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

Variety is the spice of life. If all you look for is shooters, chances are, that's what you'll find. I have had no problems finding games of many different genres. Look to the past as well, there's plenty to choose from. Plus it saves you cash.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#23 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I enjoy alot of the shooters that are coming out. To me, the only way they're all the same is through multiplayer, as it's pretty similar across all shooters. But, I'm not really all that into multiplayer. The single player campaigns, characters, plots, and settings are what set different games apart from each other.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I have to really agree.

I love shooters, but i am really getting past the point of shooter games.

I love Crysis, i know i should be more excited for Crysis 3, but i can't get excited.

but then you got Bioshock : Infinite, and I can't wait to play that.

Really more then anything, i'm just getting tired of almost all the triple A games being done looking down the barrel of the gun. and that's not me hating on shooters, not hating on guns, or people who like these games, or people who like guns.

There's just so many of them.

and most of us gamers on here KNOW that games are a lot more then just eliminating enemies with a gun.

---------

On a random tangent, this might explain why we've been seeing so many games introduce the bow and arrow mechanic, and the stabbing and slicing people's throats to change it up a bit.

---------

Battlefield 4 will be a for sure shooter buy, i do very much enjoy the multiplayer. interested in seeing what they'll do with it, see if the rumors of playable female soldiers are true. and if DICE can make a memorable or at least entertaining single player campaign as well.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I love good shooters like for example Far Cry 3 and i avoid the terrible ones.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#26 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
shooters have become so generic i feel it's enough to buy one once a year or less, because there are so many of them
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

Variety is the spice of life. If all you look for is shooters, chances are, that's what you'll find. I have had no problems finding games of many different genres. Look to the past as well, there's plenty to choose from. Plus it saves you cash.

Retrogamer24
This. Shooters are definitely my favorite genre, and I agree that the market has become saturated, but I never have a problem finding non-shooter genres to play. This gen has provided us with something for just about everyone so if you can't find something you don't like, then you're really not looking.
tryhard_d0uch3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tryhard_d0uch3
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Take a look into some good indie games. They always bring some new ideas to the table.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

yeah i know what u mean. this gen is definately the rise of FPS shooters. i don't mind them either, but it seems like every other game these days are FPS shooters. i only like FPS shooters for multiplayer like COD or Halo, other than that i cant stand them. but i will play third person single player shooters, mass effect games are among my favourites. the sole reason i didn't get far cry 3 is because there isn't a third person option.

brianbfds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 brianbfds
Member since 2009 • 154 Posts

Yeah, Nowadays must of the games released are shooters, and must of them are piece of crap, but there are still some good shooter games like halo,call of duty, far cry and others.

In my Opinion producers should reduce the amount of shooter they created, and only release the ones we know that are good, but unfortunately they care more about selling than pleasing the costumer

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

WTF? Shooters are here to stay, I just wish there weren't so many of them.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I don't mind that they are released, but I wish they weren't so popular nowadays so we can see more types of games being released. I also find it annoying that COD sells so many damn games and that it's so popular but I really could care less about it.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Am I the only one slightly amused by the topic/topic title and by TC's username?

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lucky_Krystal

Am I the only one slightly amused by the topic/topic title and by TC's username?

Goyoshi12

:lol:

I noticed that too.

BARRICADE_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 BARRICADE_28
Member since 2004 • 154 Posts

There is a definite lack of creativity in AAA titles, especially on consoles. FPS (and 3rd person shooters like Gears of War) is the most oversatured genre. Besides FPS's/shooters and your action/adventure titles (like GTA, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham City etc.), there is a lack of genres that get AAA treatment. Thankfully there are good RPG's sprinkled in, the odd racing or strategy game etc.

Last gen has a lot more variety. I can remember back in the mid/late-90's on PC when you had tons of games in many different genres that were hit games, ie: FPS's (Half-Life, Quake), strategy (Civilization, Starcraft, Xcom), Sim/God games (Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Sims), action/adventure (Tomb Raider), RPG (Baldur's Gate, Fallout), click adventures (Full Throttle, Monkey Island), MMO's (Everquest, Ultima Online), flight sims (Tie Fighter, Longbow), sports games/sims, racing (Need for Speed) etc.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#36 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

The only shooters that anyone should own are RAGE and Far Cry 3. Everything else pales in comparison.

TheBatFreak777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#37 TheBatFreak777
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

Man, I'm happy to see this post. I've been playing Battlefield 3 and I have come to this same brick wall with FPSs. I was really looking forward to this one after BFBC2 and have wound up sadly disappointed with this overly generic and cliche addition to the series.

I try to play almost every major game in a given console generation and this is the first time I've gotten to a point where I'm almost ready to drop a particular genre. That is, there are genres that I don't always enjoy as much as another but I'll still give them a chance. This generation, however, I've gotten to the point where I'm almost going to drop FPS games unless a particularly game showcases something of worth or innovation.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts
QFT. I have to disagree entirely with OP since Far Cry 3 is the most fun I've had with a game in a very long time. Clearly shooters aren't the problem here; it's what the devs are doing with them,
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
If you don't want to play FPS then don't.. it's YOUR choice what you play so if your burnt out and keep playing anyway then thats your problem.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Take a look into some good indie games. They always bring some new ideas to the table.tryhard_d0uch3

Agreed. I just started playing FTL and it's awesome! It's like a Star Trek: Voyager simulator.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#41 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

If you don't want to play FPS then don't.. it's YOUR choice what you play so if your burnt out and keep playing anyway then thats your problem.Rattlesnake_8

Exactly...

I love how people complain about over-saturation of the market with FPS games...if you don't like them, stop buying them.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]If you don't want to play FPS then don't.. it's YOUR choice what you play so if your burnt out and keep playing anyway then thats your problem.Blueresident87

Exactly...

I love how people complain about over-saturation of the market with FPS games...if you don't like them, stop buying them.

It's hilarious actually. I think many people who complain about the number of FPS being churned out don't actually play them. And then they'll somehow try to connect the downfall or dumbing down of their favorite series with Call of Duty or some other FPS. :lol:

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

How about better shooters instead? Where are the DOOMs? The Timesplitters? The Serious Sams? Whole lineages of the FPS have been abandoned.

jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

Oh look Mr.Sniper complains about shooters :lol:

tempertress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 tempertress
Member since 2012 • 1131 Posts

Shooters and far and away not my realm of expertise but personally I just think they need to evole. I don't think gamers are satisfied with stock standard mechanics and repetitious uninventive stories. Publishers and devs should get on board with that.