Nintendo 64 support component cables or s-video the best?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

There are good chances I will get a N64 again(had one during the era, then sold it to buy a gamecube, bad mistake!) but I was wandering what the best possible way to view the image was. I read some where that certain N64 games supported a High-Res mode so I wasn't sure if the console its self could use component cables or not.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
s-video is the lowest quality out there. My N64 hooks up through component and works just fine. There is no "Hi-Res" mode but some games will support higher texture and polygon counts if you have the n64 expansion pack in the console.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheColbert
s-video is the lowest quality out there. My N64 hooks up through component and works just fine. There is no "Hi-Res" mode but some games will support higher texture and polygon counts if you have the n64 expansion pack in the console.ColdfireTrilogy
Where did you get your component cables at? I searched on ebay but did not see anything.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
[QUOTE="ColdfireTrilogy"]s-video is the lowest quality out there. My N64 hooks up through component and works just fine. There is no "Hi-Res" mode but some games will support higher texture and polygon counts if you have the n64 expansion pack in the console.TheColbert
Where did you get your component cables at? I searched on ebay but did not see anything.

It works with the gamecube one,I believe
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheColbert

[QUOTE="TheColbert"][QUOTE="ColdfireTrilogy"]s-video is the lowest quality out there. My N64 hooks up through component and works just fine. There is no "Hi-Res" mode but some games will support higher texture and polygon counts if you have the n64 expansion pack in the console.MonsieurX

It works with the gamecube one,I believe

I don't know. The Gamecube ones went into the Digital Out but does the N64 have that?

Also after digging around I found these on Amazon but it has some pretty shady reviews. Although their problem is it only goes into the Analog port which is I am correct is all the N64 has.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Component won't do anything with an N64.

There are tons of "universal" s-video cables out there. I bought one for less than $10 at an EB and has composite and s-video out for Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox. But the point is, is that the Gamecube and N64 output slots are the same size.

S-Video will give you 480i, basically the best resolution you can get for the N64.

Component is useless. It doesn't upscale, it'll give you the same output as S-video (in terms of the N64). The s-video is way cheaper.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheColbert

Component won't do anything with an N64.

There are tons of "universal" s-video cables out there. I bought one for less than $10 at an EB and has composite and s-video out for Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox. But the point is, is that the Gamecube and N64 output slots are the same size.

S-Video will give you 480i, basically the best resolution you can get for the N64.

Component is useless. It doesn't upscale, it'll give you the same output as S-video (in terms of the N64). The s-video is way cheaper.

sonic_spark
Yeah good point. Since N64 only supports up to 480i I would guess S-Video would be the best you could do. Thanks
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Well, the color reproduction would be better with component, not to mention a sharper image and less bleeding. I too am trying to acquire my old n64.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

s-video is the lowest quality out there. My N64 hooks up through component and works just fine. There is no "Hi-Res" mode but some games will support higher texture and polygon counts if you have the n64 expansion pack in the console.ColdfireTrilogy

S-Video is actually better than composite and way better than RF. RF is really the lowest quality, with HDMI being the best followed by component, but you don't use those on classic consoles. For classic consoles, the best thing to use is S-Video although some systems like the Genesis require a modification to use it. I do use S-Video on my N64 and it looks pretty good on my HDTV.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

good info..

i have my n64 connected to my hdtv with composite . looks bad... didnt know s-video was available!

sadly my plasma has no s-video port damn.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="ColdfireTrilogy"]s-video is the lowest quality out there. My N64 hooks up through component and works just fine. There is no "Hi-Res" mode but some games will support higher texture and polygon counts if you have the n64 expansion pack in the console.dog64

S-Video is actually better than composite and way better than RF. RF is really the lowest quality, with HDMI being the best followed by component, but you don't use those on classic consoles. For classic consoles, the best thing to use is S-Video although some systems like the Genesis require a modification to use it. I do use S-Video on my N64 and it looks pretty good on my HDTV.

You forgot DVI next to hdmi,not component
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

i couldnt find the cable i have doing a quick Google but its Svideo and has plugs for Xbox, any PS, Dreamcast, and the Nintendo one (snes , n64, gamecube). Right now i use it for my 64, snes, and dreamcast and they look pretty good on my 1080p 42in hdtv. I think it was advertised as 7 in 1 unverisal s video cable. also yes some games do advertise a "high res mode", i have vigilante 8 and i believe a couple others and with the expansion pak they do look a little better.

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

I recently got an N64 without cables and the a/v cable from my gamecube works fine. I've heard the SNES one is the same

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
An unmodified N64 maxes out at S-Video. If you have a display that supports it and happen to be handy with a soldering iron, then you could modify it to use RGB SCART for the best possible image quality, though in the N64's case, some extra circuitry will have to be built into the cable to amplify some signals for a good picture.
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
High-res for the N64 was just 480i as most games displayed at about half that.
ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

It's the 64. Games are going to look bad no matter how you set it up.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheColbert
Somebody bumped this from its slumber. Anyway I did end up getting a N64 and bought a universal S-Video cable from Gamestop. It helped remove the blurriness but that shows you all the jaggies. Still I like it better than standard composite and its the way to go. Banjo Kazzoie has never looked better for me.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

480i is the lowest resolution lol so i dont see how people say it only supports upto 480i we all know everything supports that

dan_hill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dan_hill
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I really wish people would research stuff prior to posting. The N64 standard outputs were 240p (NTSC 320x240) and 288p (PAL 320x288), but it was capable of 480i (576i for PAL with huge borders). Most developers never used the 480i mode however as it was too taxing for the system in standard configuration. The 4MB expansion pack allowed better use of this (due to increased texture res) but it was hardly used specifically for this. The only game which did was Turok 2 but the frame rate dipped a few times. Nintendo decided to use it to improve things in general such as visuals and things like more enemies on screen in Majora's Mask. 

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

I really wish people would research stuff prior to posting. The N64 standard outputs were 240p (NTSC 320x240) and 288p (PAL 320x288), but it was capable of 480i (576i for PAL with huge borders). Most developers never used the 480i mode however as it was too taxing for the system in standard configuration. The 4MB expansion pack allowed better use of this (due to increased texture res) but it was hardly used specifically for this. The only game which did was Turok 2 but the frame rate dipped a few times. Nintendo decided to use it to improve things in general such as visuals and things like more enemies on screen in Majora's Mask. 

dan_hill
Great information, but not important enough to bump a 3-year old thread over. =\