Nintendo 64 or Gamecube What do i Get? I Dont know!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pkgamer50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pkgamer50
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I dont know what to get a N64 or Gamecube or any of the other old Consoles mostly just these two well only these What is better and WHY please guys i dont know so say the good and the bad im so confused Thanks and please help
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

they are really both great and one is the most durable console in history and one gave inovations to the industry. if you go for the n64 your going to have to buy 2 or more controllers just for its biggest fault, the joysticks. the games are great but not a very large library. get 007 goldeneye, perfect dark, starfox 64, pretty much get almost every Rareware or first party game.

the gamecube games to get are mostly are first party like zelda and metroid. if you dont get SSBM then you will be missing out on a very good fighter. definitely get the metroids for the GCN and the zeldas WW and TP with the OoT master quest

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

lol, you're funny.

N64:

• The Good: Stellar first party games
  • The Bad: Not many third party games

Gamecube:

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigM10231

lol, you're funny.

N64:

Gamecube:

amsfm6
its pretty much what i said:P
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amsfm6

its pretty much what i said:PbigM10231

Yep, I was talking about the TC being funny. :P

Pkgamer50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pkgamer50
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Wow thanks that helps but still i dont know i need a little more info The goods the bads,Graphics,Gameplay,Faulty or not,Controller,Online,Worth it Good known games easy or not And How much cords come from the back of most consoles like the ps2 Has 2 coming from the Back how mcuh is at the back of both if you won one
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 amsfm6

They're both good. It just depends on how up-to-date of a console you want, because they both have the high-quality Nintendo games that you expect from a Nintendo console (and unfortunately the lack of third party games we've come to expect from Nintendo consoles). Obviously graphics and gameplay are much more advanced with the Gamecube because it's a generation ahead. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's better, it just is what it is.

Ideally you'd get an N64, then follow it up with a Gamecube.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Like everyone else has said about both the systems: Great first-party games, butbetter third-party games on the competition's consoles.

If it was one or the other, though, I'd go with Nintendo Gamecube. Mostly due to the fact that there are no Metroid titles on the N64, but there are for Gamecube, and Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are two of the best games EVER. Both systems have Mario, Zelda, StarFox, and Donkey Kong games, though. All of which are great games for both systems. The Gamecube also has the Gameboy Player Attachment which is a great addition that allows you to play Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Classic games on you TV with modern enhancements; another reason to go with Gamecube.Also, the N64 controllers go out pretty easily compared to Gamecube controllers which can be frustrating since N64 controllers are harder to find and still $20 a piece. Arguably, the best games for the N64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Zelda: Majora's Mask were re-released on the Gamecube anways. And there's always the fact that Gamecube has better graphics.

My solution, pick up both of these systems since you can find them for $30-$50 a piece.

-Nate-

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Hmmm, well, I owned both when they came out and I would say comparing the two

Hardware wise

1. Gamecube has better graphics and sound (obviously)

2. Gamecube has better controllers (N64 controllers are good, but take a while to get used to)

3. N64 cartridges are hardy and have no load times

Game library wise

1. Both have 1st party Nintendo series' such as Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Star Fox in equal amounts so this point cancels out.

2. Gamecube has more Multi-format 3rd party games (Beyond Good and Evil, Metal Arms, Burnout, Timesplitters, Red Faction, Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe)

3. N64 has more 3rd Party console exclusives (Mystical Ninja 64, Mischief Makers, Sin and Punishment, Body Harvest, Castlevania 64, Rocket Robot on Wheels)

4. N64 also has Rare as a 2nd party (they only made one game for Gamecube, but made loads on N64 like Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini)

So at the end of the day what it comes down to is this

1. How important are graphics and frame rate to you?

2. Do you already own a PS2 or XBox (as this means you can already get all the Gamecube multi-format's anyway leaving you with little else than 1st party games)

3. Do you think you'll get a Wii in the future as it has full backwards compatibility with Gamecube anyway and has updated versions of many of the Gamecube's best games (such as Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 2) making a Gamecube purchase largely pointless.

Cheesemanook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cheesemanook
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

Nintendo 64. After all, get 'N or get out!

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Definetly gamecube because on the n64 two main draws are The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask and you can just get The Legend of Zelda Collector's Disk which has those two game and the gamecube has a bigger and better library. Uortunately you will miss out on Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, and Perfect Dark. Goldeneye doesn't hold up to well and melee is better than the original ssb. And you will get Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Star Fox Adventures, Resident Evil 4, and many more good games. Definetly get a gamecube or a wii if you cqan because you have virtual console for n64 and it is backwards compatible.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#14 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

N64. Ihas tons of amazing exclusive games to get.

And there's no point in gettin a GC now. All GC games can be played on the wii, so if you really want a gamecub, just save up a little longer and get a wii.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Emerald_Warrior

And there's no point in gettin a GC now. All GC games can be played on the wii, so if you really want a gamecub, just save up a little longer and get a wii.

BuryMe

Come on, there's a big difference between $30 for a Gamecube and $200 for a Wii. It's not like saving up just a little more.

-Nate-

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#16 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

Emerald_Warrior

Come on, there's a big difference between $30 for a Gamecube and $200 for a Wii. It's not like saving up just a little more.

-Nate-

Still, when getting a wii pretty much doubles the number of game you'd have access to, i'd still reccomend saving up for it.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
The Gamecube has a better game library so I'd definitely go with that.
PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

I would just pay the extra for the wii unless you wanna take advantage of the gamecubes gameboy player

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
A lot of N64 games require nostalgia to still be enjoyable. If you didn't play the games in their prime, you may hate them. Gamecube has some great games, including great third party games like Killer 7, (one of my hands down favorite games of all time) Resident Evil 4, and PN03. Not to mention Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime.
Goobberzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Goobberzz
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts

Depends on your motives behind buying a new system. If your looking for good oldies that are still a blast to play go with the N64. Personaly that is my choice. I wish I still had mine...*sigh*.

Some favorite games on each of the platforms:

N64-

Super Mario 64 (best game on the system IMO)

Starfox 64

Banjo Kazooie (and Tooie)

Golden Eye

Mario Party

Super Smash Bros

Gamecube-

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Smash Bros Melee

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

But that's just to name a few.

loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

Buy a N64 then when you have more money get a gamecube.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

1st party Nintendo series' such as Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Star Fox in equal amounts so this point cancels out.

Domino_slayer

Gotta disagree there, solely because of Metroid: Prime 1 & 2 being on Gamecube. Both were incredible games that have to played by anyNintendo, Metroid, or 1st Person-Shooter fan. While on the other hand N64 had no Metroid games at all, which is really a shame. The Metroid: Prime games also showed usthat the Gamecube can indeed give us some pretty impressive graphics.

-Nate-

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#23 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Get a Wii so you can play GC games and download N64 games.

But as that probably isn't the answer you were looking for, I'd be tempted to say GC. Sure, the N64 has some of the best, most influential games ever created, but not all of them have aged as well. The crappy controller doesn't help either (the design is good, but the analogue stick is not durable at all).

With a GC, you have games that might not have been as original as on the N64, but a lot of them did offer great gaming experiences that still hold up well. Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, Metroid Prime 1 & 2 (although they're 10x better with Wii controls), Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Fox Adventures.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I would get both, Nintendo 64, and the Nintendo Gamecube both have some games that are awesome. However if you strapped for cash then get the Gamecube, Plus you can still buy games at EB games. N64 games are a bit harder to track down.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 silent_bomber

I would be interested to know why my post was deleted from this thread, I have a warning posted in my inbox which makes literally no sense whatsoever and quotes site regulations none of which were pertaining to my post.

I have heard that Gamespot moderators are particularly heavy handed so I guess this is most likely the reason.

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

I would be interested to know why my post was deleted from this thread, I have a warning posted in my inbox which makes literally no sense whatsoever and quotes site regulations none of which were pertaining to my post.

I have heard that Gamespot moderators are particularly heavy handed so I guess this is most likely the reason.

Domino_slayer
Mine did to. I mentioned a method of getting N64 games thats not quite legal. I wasn't recommending it, just mentioning it :/
silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts
Get a Wii, they are constantly adding more n64 games and gamecube games play on it natively. The have...ORCIANA OF TIME! I would take tht game over many games today...anyhow get a wii... /thread
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Gamecube has Metroid Prime, Resident Evil remake and 4, and the ability to play both N64's Zelda classics Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask.

Go with that.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Depends on your motives behind buying a new system. If your looking for good oldies that are still a blast to play go with the N64. Personaly that is my choice. I wish I still had mine...*sigh*.

Some favorite games on each of the platforms:

N64-

Super Mario 64 (best game on the system IMO)

Starfox 64

Banjo Kazooie (and Tooie)

Golden Eye

Mario Party

Super Smash Bros

Gamecube-

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Smash Bros Melee

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

But that's just to name a few.

Goobberzz

uh you missed alot of the best games on GC:

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Resident Evil (remake)

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X

Resident Evil 4

LoZ: WindWaker

LoZ: Twilight Princess

Eternal Darkness

Viewtiful Joe

Pikmin 2

Beyond Good and Evil

Skies of Arcadia Legends

Tales of Symphonia

Ikaruga

and more......

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior

loft8000

N64 cost more than Gamecubes. You can still get a refurbished Gamecube at Gamestop for $30. Look online and you might find one for $20. N64, on the other hand, haven't been at Gamestop for years. And online they run about $50 if you want one that has working hook-ups and a working controller.

-Nate-

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silent_bomber

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

PersonNinja

Mine did to. I mentioned a method of getting N64 games thats not quite legal. I wasn't recommending it, just mentioning it :/

Oh right I see, my post was deleted because it quoted your post, fair enough, though it seems a bit much for me to get a warning for.

In respects to my deleted post - The Wii Virtual Console will never be a proper substitution for a real N64, many N64 games are tied up these days and will never be available on VC due to the rights for properties changing hands (Rareware games being the most obvious ommisions as Rare are now owned by Microsoft, on the Mega Drive side of thingsVirgin no longer own the Disney license so there's no release ofAladdin coming, Sega no longer own the Disney license so there's no Mickey Mouse Master System games coming etc)

sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#32 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
neither - buy a Wii. the wii plays GC games and you can also download all of the N64 worth your time.
lost-ruin001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 lost-ruin001
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts

Get a Wii, VC of most retro consoles and Gamecube compatibility + Wii games on top of it, it's a no brainer!

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bigM10231

[QUOTE="loft8000"]

Emerald_Warrior

N64 cost more than Gamecubes. You can still get a refurbished Gamecube at Gamestop for $30. Look online and you might find one for $20. N64, on the other hand, haven't been at Gamestop for years. And online they run about $50 if you want one that has working hook-ups and a working controller.

-Nate-

i saw a perfectly good n64 for 25$ at one of my classic game stores i go to
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="loft8000"]

bigM10231

-Nate-

i saw a perfectly good n64 for 25$ at one of my classic game stores i go to

Then grab it before someone else does!

-Nate-

JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
On the surface games wise, Gamecube because it does what N64 does graphically--just better. Mario Kart for example is better across the board on the Gamecube, they just built on what was already there from the N64 (Nintendo 64) version. FZero is another example. It depends on what you want, you really can't go wrong with either, I personally prefer Super Mario on the Nintendo 64 than the Gamecube version of Super Mario. If you've been playing the classic's such as Nintendo and Genesis and want the next best thing along the same lines then the Nintendo 64 will satisfy.
_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 _rock_
Member since 2007 • 7071 Posts
I'd go with the N64, great selection of games.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I think the N64 was more popular of the 2, I prefer GC. I think everything done on 64 was done again and better on GC plus tons more. The GC also started the trend of wireless controllers(everyone does that now), hand held to home console conectivity(both PS3 and Wii do that). It has far better 3rd party support and you can find the system cheaper than n64, and no problems with controllers. I do agree with the person who said that you should get a wiithen you can play n64 with the virtual arcade and gc,