Niche titles that most people missed but you loved

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] Just finished it this morning. Some great puzzles in that game.

My brother was sitting playing through it with me. I found one of the puzzles broken, as in it didn't accept a correct answer, but really liked it overall. It was funny.

I never encountered that. Which one was it?

I think it was the one where you have to plan out the movement of robots in the factory. Not only do you have to move them all to the other side without dying, but they have to be in a certain order. There was no way to know that until I failed and just suspected the puzzle was mistaken.
shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#102 shabulia
Member since 2004 • 2625 Posts

Here are a couple fighters for you to consider:

Virtua Fighter 5 - Why is such a popular title making my list of "niche" titles? Because most people know Virtua Fighter5 but most people either haven't played it or just are flat out intimidated by it. It is a very deep fighter that easily stands toe to toe with Super Street Fighter IV on it's level of quality. The problem is that people just don't know how to do the moves and combos and are, therefore, not willing to learn how to play it. Don't be fooled! The game has one of the best and most extensive training modes of any fighter I have seen. It even displays the timing of each frame of motion and will demo the move or combo you are trying to execute so you can be sure to get the timing just right. The game allows for deep customization of each character so you can make them your own and it plays flawlessly online (only for the Xbox 360 version). Everything about this title screams quality and it is such a shame that it has neverfound its audience here in the States. You can find it dirt cheap at Gamestop or you can download it on Xbox Arcade. The game is available on the PS3 but without the online play. This is one that is totally worth the time and effort.

Project Justice - The Dreamcast was known for many things to those of us who were hardcore players back then. One of those things was the system was home to some world-class fighters. Project Justice was an absolute blast to play. It was a 2.5D (3D graphics on a 2D plane like Street Fighter IV) fighting game that continued the Rival Schools series from the arcades and PSX. The graphics are blocky by today's standards but they still look fine. There was a very rich story that just reeked of Japanese charm. If that isn't for you then you can just skip it and play in arcade mode. Sakura, everyone's favorite teenage girl from Street Fighter Alphaand Street Fighter IV,is one of the many playable characters in Capcom's often overlooked fighters. If you like Japanese quirky titles that are also full of deep game play, then this one is for you! Pull out that Dreamcast and track this one down. You won't be sorry.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#103 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] My brother was sitting playing through it with me. I found one of the puzzles broken, as in it didn't accept a correct answer, but really liked it overall. It was funny.

I never encountered that. Which one was it?

I think it was the one where you have to plan out the movement of robots in the factory. Not only do you have to move them all to the other side without dying, but they have to be in a certain order. There was no way to know that until I failed and just suspected the puzzle was mistaken.

When I played it, the platforms had to be moved, but there was no particular order. There was only one order that worked, though. The opening screen did warn that hitting the traps would destroy the platform; obstacles just stopped them, but that was part of the strategy.
Redfet01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Redfet01
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

condemned criminal origins. excellent atmosphere

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#105 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Who hasn't played Cave Story yet? Its an awsome game as well.

It doesnt mean its bad just because its freeware. Its definitely in my best indie games list.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="muthsera666"] When I played it, the platforms had to be moved, but there was no particular order. There was only one order that worked, though. The opening screen did warn that hitting the traps would destroy the platform; obstacles just stopped them, but that was part of the strategy.

Well, there was another path that I followed that would work, but I think what it was is there was a cart that I already got to the other side, in a space with another empty space to the left, and I planned for it to move to the left, then the other two would be in a position to move up twice and be in the other spaces correctly. When I turned it on, I found that the cart couldn't move once it had reached the other side, which screwed up my plan. Not a big deal of course as I loved the game, but there were a few puzzles like that but that's the only one I can really remember the problem. Maybe I just have puzzle-dyslexia.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 muthsera666
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] When I played it, the platforms had to be moved, but there was no particular order. There was only one order that worked, though. The opening screen did warn that hitting the traps would destroy the platform; obstacles just stopped them, but that was part of the strategy.

Well, there was another path that I followed that would work, but I think what it was is there was a cart that I already got to the other side, in a space with another empty space to the left, and I planned for it to move to the left, then the other two would be in a position to move up twice and be in the other spaces correctly. When I turned it on, I found that the cart couldn't move once it had reached the other side, which screwed up my plan. Not a big deal of course as I loved the game, but there were a few puzzles like that but that's the only one I can really remember the problem. Maybe I just have puzzle-dyslexia.

The rules stated that the platforms wouldn't move once they reached the other side...
smchacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#108 smchacko
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Two titles that I thought were awesome but I hear little about are

Painkiller (the first one) and

Star Wars Republic Commando (what a fun game!)

CD-i_ownz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#109 CD-i_ownz
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

The Pursuit Force games;twonear completely unknown games for the PSP, but very high quality and fun, with a fantastic soundtrack and graphics to boot. Basically, for the unitiated, you play as an "Extreme Justice" special forces cop, ramming criminals off the road, having window-to-window shootouts at 150 MPH, and even jumping to criminals' cars for shootouts while clinging to the hood, then later commandeering their vehicles, all while trying to keep innocent civilians out of the crossfire. They're both a ton of fun and can be found for about eight dollars each, I'd reccomend playing the second one first though, the original one is punishingly difficult.

ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

Okami.

Jonzey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Jonzey123
Member since 2005 • 356 Posts
Slightly Magic- ZX Spectrum- One of the first games I remember. My whole family loved it. The music is still in my head to this day. Simon the Sorcerer- PC- An old Point-and-click adventure game. Absolutely loved it. Again, the soundtrack remains firmly in my head. Why can't modern games have such catchy tunes? Spellforce- PC- Nabbed this in a steam sale recently, had never heard of it before, love it to bits now. According to Steam I've played over 90 hours and I'm only on the first expansion. A strange hybrid of RPG and RTS, in which your character levels up, gains attributes and equipment while completing quests and building up armies, collecting resources etc. It actually really works, and if you can get past the terrible translation/voice acting (I actually find it endearing) then it's an immensely satisfying and fun game. Tough as hell in some places though. One map I ended up building over 100 towers just to hold back the constant stream of attackers. Machinarium- PC- You've probably heard of this one. Limbo- 360- But everyone knows about Limbo. Shadow Hearts 2- PS2- Was a great RPG. One of the last turn based RPG's I actually enjoyed. Dear Esther- PC- A Half Life 2 mod. Pretty well known. Atmospheric and moving. Checkmate- PC- A bizarre little adventure game following the life of a pawn after it's been taken off the chessboard.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The Pursuit Force games;twonear completely unknown games for the PSP, but very high quality and fun, with a fantastic soundtrack and graphics to boot. Basically, for the unitiated, you play as an "Extreme Justice" special forces cop, ramming criminals off the road, having window-to-window shootouts at 150 MPH, and even jumping to criminals' cars for shootouts while clinging to the hood, then later commandeering their vehicles, all while trying to keep innocent civilians out of the crossfire. They're both a ton of fun and can be found for about eight dollars each, I'd reccomend playing the second one first though, the original one is punishingly difficult.

CD-i_ownz

Yeah, I loved the Pursuit Force games. They feel like early 90's arcade games.Fighting with the gang members and deciding whether or not it would be easier/faster/more efficient to destroy a carload of thugs (by ramming them and shooting them) or get out of one's speeding vehicle and jumping onto their vehicle never got old. Also, I liked how one lost Justice Points for hurting civilians or commandering their car and getting it blown up (Justice Points were a good thing to have since a full Justice meter could repair a damaged vehicle or allow one to slow down time).

It was a damn shame when Big Big was assigned to make a Motorstorm for the PSP. I skipped Motorstorm PSP primarily for that reason.

I once almost got into it with some petty thugs in San Pedro Sula, Honduras who tried to relieve of my PSP and Pursuit Force (which I had been playing to kill the time as I waited for my plane). I was playing and absorbed in Pursuit Force, then I looked up and there was this ring of young guys standing around me. Once expressed interest in my PSP, I showed them the game I was playing. He asked to hold the PSP, I told him 'Not gonna happen', then he asked me to give him the PSP, since I was American and rich.

I still had a long plane ride back to the States and there was no way I was going to board a plane without my PSP (the last plane I boarded without my PSP showed Fat Albert as the inflight movie).

Seriously, nobody showed any weapons and I was a muscular guy with a scar over one eye and all the gang membes were on the scrawny side, so I bet that airport security would happen along and break things up before the gang worked up the nerve to jump me. Happily, I guessed right.

shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 shabulia

Wipeout - This is a series that just has never gotten the recognition it deserved (here in the States thatis). It's fast, it's frantic, the graphics are great and it's a blast to play. Futuristic racing hovercrafts that shoot each other to wild techno music.... sign me up!

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#114 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Time Stalkers, got super low scores, and I could see why, but any dungeon crawler fan that's up for a good challenge owes it to themself to play this game.

Shadow Hearts Covenant, has to be one of the most underrated Ps2 RPGs ever. Someone already mentioned it in detail a bit and it is truely a unique game.

Lost Planet 2, I really had tons of fun with this game. I don't get why it got such low scores really.

Nier, has one of the best soundtracks and most emotional storylines I've ever heard and seen.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 travisstaggs

Who hasn't played Cave Story yet? Its an awsome game as well.

It doesnt mean its bad just because its freeware. Its definitely in my best indie games list.

XenoLair
Didn't even know it was freeware. Bout to get try it out now.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 muthsera666
Machinarium- PC- You've probably heard of this one.Jonzey123
Not nearly as good of a game as everyone thinks it is.
Homicide___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117 Homicide___
Member since 2011 • 79 Posts
Persona 3 and 4?
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
The Saboteur and Metro 2033. :P
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#119 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Mirror's Edge - a highly underrated game. I loved it. I just wish it was longer. I find that it's disliked by people who were expecting a shooter.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#120 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus, it sold a mil, but that was on the PS2, AND EVERYONE HERE SHOULD PLAY IT! :D

shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 shabulia

Mirror's Edge - a highly underrated game. I loved it. I just wish it was longer. I find that it's disliked by people who were expecting a shooter.

JediXMan7

Kudos. Couldn't agree more!!!

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 travisstaggs
[QUOTE="Jonzey123"]Machinarium- PC- You've probably heard of this one.muthsera666

In your opinion. I know plenty of people who enjoyed it, including myself.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 muthsera666
[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="Jonzey123"]Machinarium- PC- You've probably heard of this one.travisstaggs

True. I should have clarified my statement. Sorry about that.
killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

Prey It's really a shame how Valve stole the spotlight from Prey's portals with their Portal...

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 travisstaggs

[QUOTE="travisstaggs"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] Not nearly as good of a game as everyone thinks it is.muthsera666

True. I should have clarified my statement. Sorry about that.

Nah, I just felt like adding that in. :P

I could definitely see why some people wouldn't like it since some of the puzzles are really meh.

Mstealth71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Mstealth71
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Omnivision would be a better choice.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Rise of the Argonauts. Everyone that followed my advice thanked me after buying it
OmegaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#128 OmegaAK47
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

Lunar Knigthsfor the DS.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 muthsera666
Rise of the Argonauts. Everyone that followed my advice thanked me after buying itBlack_Knight_00
I've had it for over a year now, just haven't played it. I followed it during development, and I always thought that it looked interesting.
Helghast_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Helghast_Merc
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

Well, there's Klonoa and Klonoa 2. I bought the game for the Wii last weekend from a Gamestop while I was at Kansas City. It's a fun game, but i'm only halfway through. I also bought Klonoa 2 through Ebay, and it's an awesome game. I hope the original is released through the PSN so I can at least have a Klonoa game for my PSP.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#131 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles...
shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 shabulia

How about some Sega Saturn import love?

Radiant Silvergun - This awesome shooter is slated to be released on Xbox Live Arcade soon and it's a good thing. This game was awesome. It was insanely hard and blended every positive aspect of shooters anyone could ever hope for. It is widely regarded as one of the best shooters ever which is why it sells for $200 on ebay for a used copy.

Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter - I know, I know. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is everybody's baby. But this Saturn import was arcade perfect. It required the use of the 4-Meg RAM cart and it featured a Japanese only character. It was more of the Street Fighter IIilk due to utilizing all 6 buttons. The Saturn controller seemed tailor made for this awesome fighter. While the PSX saw a release of this game stateside, it was a far inferior product. In it, you could not switch characters and it was missing many frames of animation. Do yourself a favor if you are an oldschool fighter; get a Saturn and get an import copy of this game. It's freaking awesome!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#133 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter - I know, I know. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is everybody's baby. But this Saturn import was arcade perfect. It required the use of the 4-Meg RAM cart and it featured a Japanese only character. It was more of the Street Fighter IIilk due to utilizing all 6 buttons. The Saturn controller seemed tailor made for this awesome fighter. While the PSX saw a release of this game stateside, it was a far inferior product. In it, you could not switch characters and it was missing many frames of animation. Do yourself a favor if you are an oldschool fighter; get a Saturn and get an import copy of this game. It's freaking awesome!

shabulia

I didn't play this one, but I did play Xmen vs Street Fighter. I heard the Saturn version of MvSF is one of the best crossover games.

I would also like to mention Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner. It's probably the best mech game I've ever played.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

yakuza 3 & 4, persona 3 & 4, blah can't think of anything else right now

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles. If only more people would give this beautiful game a chance maybe we would have a sequel on the PS3 and not on the PSP.EXEraserVS

I came here to say the exact same thing :lol:.
Easily one of my favorite games this gen, I love the visual StiIe of the game. Great characters and awesome gameplay, this game has it all.

Here's to you 7s ! * salutes *

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#136 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

So many...The Nomad Soul,Sanitarium,Outcast,Undying,Beneath a Steel Sky,The Longest Journey,BattleZone(1998),Ultima VII,Myst IV,Grim Fandango come to mind.

Booyakz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Booyakz
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

Viva Pinata

The Saboteur

Pure

Bad Fur Day

No More Heroes

Zoo Tycoon

uso_outkast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 uso_outkast
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

I will have to say a game called Valkyria Chronicles.... it was a great RTS/RPG/3PS hybrid done perfectly... the first game that actually made me feel like i was truly playing a story...in a long time..not just some rehash storyline...

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Illusion of Gaia (Illusion of Time in Europe). An oft-forgotten gem of Enix's. Story's simplistic but it has heart, despite the weak translation.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. A bit more known in the mainstream, but cannot be appreciated enough.

Final Fantasy Legend series (aka SaGa 1/2/3). RPG at its most unconventional. Still a great series with plenty of flexibility and open ended nature.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

So many...The Nomad Soul,Sanitarium,Outcast,Undying,Beneath a Steel Sky,The Longest Journey,BattleZone(1998),Ultima VII,Myst IV,Grim Fandango come to mind.

Arach666

How long is Omikron The Nomad Soul?

shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 shabulia

Comix Zone - This was an awsome Sega Genesis title where action game meets comic book. The game is told in comic style and each panel of a comic book in the game is a new scene in the game. Totally sweet and very creative.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#142 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Comix Zone - This was an awsome Sega Genesis title where action game meets comic book. The game is told in comic style and each panel of a comic book in the game is a new scene in the game. Totally sweet and very creative.

shabulia
One of my favorite games, for sure.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 muthsera666

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Rise of the Argonauts. Everyone that followed my advice thanked me after buying itmuthsera666
I've had it for over a year now, just haven't played it. I followed it during development, and I always thought that it looked interesting.

Dude. Awesome game so far. I've cleared Mycenae, and I'm just about ready to meet Nessus in the clearing after killing Hep'naje, if you know what I mean. ;)

I can't believe it took me so long to play this game.

Avatar image for Darkwanderer000
Darkwanderer000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Darkwanderer000
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts

Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who's ever played this. It had amazing graphics and cinematics.

Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
[QUOTE="Darkwanderer000"]

Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who's ever played this. It had amazing graphics and cinematics.

I loved that game too.
shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 shabulia

Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Darkwanderer000

Sorry to disappoint you, DW. I played this one too and I agree that it was gorgeous. It also was a ton of old school fun. Sweet game!

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Kingdom Under Fire: By far the best blend of different genres I've ever seen. The action gives the strategy a more immediate and personal feel, and the strategy lends a much greater sense of urgency to the action than you'd find in other slashers. It's a shame that most people are familiar with the series for the crumby Circle Of Doom spin-off.

Shadow Of Rome: If you played Dead Rising you likely noticed that the shooting mechanics and style were taken from Capcom's other game Resident Evil. What you probably didn't notice is that the melee action was taken from another Capcom game Shadow of Rome. There are fewer weapons than in Dead Rising, but they all have a larger number of attacks and are generally much more satisfying to use.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 muthsera666

Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Darkwanderer000
I have it on my shelf, just never played it. It looked kind of intimidating from the manual, with the choosing different forms, et cetera.
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

Nobunaga's Ambition: Rise to Power.

I've been playing this game for two years on a consecutive months basis.

NA > Shogun

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Darkwanderer000

Yes, Orta was amazing. Its a shame Sega put it on the Xbox (which killed any chance of Japanese sales) rather than PS2. If they had, PD might still be around today (or maybe not, the somewhat similar Rez didn't exactly tear up the sales charts).