Next Xbox Reveal Set for May 21st

This topic is locked from further discussion.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

I've got a whole slew of jumble thoughts and emotions regarding the upcoming Xbox announcement. I'm excited, anxious and skeptical all at the same time. On one hand, they have brought a solid gaming platform to the table that is home to many of the games I have enjoyed this generation. In my household it is used for more than just gaming as well. Netflix, HBO Go and Youtube are among the added features that get used in the Smith estates. I have the Live family plan in place and as of now, everyone is knowledgable of how to access their entertainment. 

On the other hand, this is still a gaming machine first and foremost. I want to see the evolution of this very same platform I have integrated into my household go with intent of expanding my gaming experience. I'm concerned that I will get the whole "we are for the hardcore enthusiasts!" speech only to have them pull back that support and development in order to focus more on the casual crowd six months later. I have a fear there is a bit of trend surfacing with companies speaking out of one side of their mouth and saying something with the other. Nintendo did it with the WiiU and we just recently heard Sony's diatribe so we will see how that plays out. 

All in all, I still think it is an exciting time to be in this hobby regardless of platform preference. For me, the next few months will determine how I decide in what way I will enjoy it; not just one announcement.  

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Almost a month away. Why so late?

Game Informer has just received word that Microsoft is about to send out invitations for an unveiling event for the next Xbox. According to our source, who has asked to for anonymity, the proceedings will take place on May 21 in Redmond, Washington.

While the presentation will be held in an intimate setting, it will be streamed live on Xbox.com, Xbox Live, and Spike TV in the US and Canada. Invitations to the press and publishing partners are expected to go out shortly. Game Informer has reached out to Microsoft for comment.GI

Are you excited?

I am not even a little bit excited. 

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm not as excited as I was for the PS4 event, but I'm definitely still interested.

I have a feeling though that I'm going to be facepalming throughout the conference. Microsoft is really going to have to bring it. 

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
Interested to see if those nasty rumors will be confirmed or debunked, but not much else. Microsoft games and systems are just not up my alley.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i can't say i'm excited, but i'm interested enough to see what microsoft rolls out. i'm having a hard time believing that they'll be the one manufacturer with an always-online feature, something that nobody wants.

with that said, i don't expect to watch the announcement live. xbox press events are just embarrassing to watch. they get so condescending by speaking through characters like sock puppets.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Of course I'm not excited, the current state of console gaming leaves barely anything to get excited about. I am interested, though.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I'm not excited, but I'm interested. While MS has pissed off some core gamers over the past few years and has alienated some indies, they aren't idiots. They understand the importance of a strong, diverse library and hardware which represents an improvement over what has gone before.

I'm kind of curious to see if they do some sort of installment plan. Yes, that makes the HW more expensive down the line, but there is much to be said for an attractive shelf price.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Sure I'm interested. For better or worse, it'll be 33% of the next generation of consoles. I'm interested in seeing the design of the hardware (though that may be left for E3).

Honestly, though, I'm more interested in seeing if they'll outright debunk any of the rumors, and not try to dance around them.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Interested to see if those nasty rumors will be confirmed or debunked, but not much else. Microsoft games and systems are just not up my alley.1PMrFister

Probably won't hear anything about those rumors unfortunately . Announcing that the console requires a constant internet connection to function would be quite counterproductive during the initial reveal.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I always find these events really interesting to watch even though I' m not planning to buy the console.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Finally. Took 'em long enough. Curious to see what they've got up their sleeve.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

You are forgetting the Sega Spectrum! (Stupid fake rumor that is on gaf. But it's fun to dream)dvader654

HA! I saw that! It reminds me of the recent Sega website with the countdown and everyone was making all these crazy speculations and it turned out to be a soccer game :)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I am interested to see what they are doing but have pretty decided to go for a PC next gen anyways so they can fvck up their system all they want to.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

Not really to be honest. MS will have to prove that all the rumours so far are not true to even make me think of getting one. So I will watch the unveiling for that reason.

They're going to have a hard act to follow after the PS4 announcement.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I think we all want to see what Godza 5 looks like on next gen hardware. :D

GT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GT90
Member since 2002 • 6256 Posts

It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft is doing with their new console and what they have to say. But, I'm not exccited about it.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
In always excited for big game news. I think it will be fascinating to see MS handle the PR if most of the rumors are true. How do they present it as a positive to us.dvader654
well obviously they're not gonna go on stage and announce that it wont play used games. That's something that they're gonna keep on the down-low
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]In always excited for big game news. I think it will be fascinating to see MS handle the PR if most of the rumors are true. How do they present it as a positive to us.Shinobishyguy
well obviously they're not gonna go on stage and announce that it wont play used games. That's something that they're gonna keep on the down-low

I'd quite like to see that. :) "You know everything you wanted for the next Xbox? Well we've done the opposite! It doesn't even play games!"
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="dvader654"]In always excited for big game news. I think it will be fascinating to see MS handle the PR if most of the rumors are true. How do they present it as a positive to us.MonoSilver

I'd quite like to see that. :) "You know everything you wanted for the next Xbox? Well we've done the opposite! It doesn't even play games!"

"Turns out, we don't even need to make a video game console anymore. We have more than enough money to finish our doomsday device and enslave the earth!" Now that's a reveal I'd watch. :P
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I'm intrigued to see what Microsoft has to offer.
Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#23 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I'll probably watch the reveal just to see what they have to announce.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
The ONLY thing that I want to hear is "The Next Xbox will not require an always online connection." straight for the horse's mouth. Couldn't care less what else they talk about.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Can't wait to see what they have to offer.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

In always excited for big game news. I think it will be fascinating to see MS handle the PR if most of the rumors are true. How do they present it as a positive to us.dvader654

This.

The rumors at this point are so outlandish I am wondering if they are the work of MS to drop expectations.  At this point all MS needs to say is "no always online" and they win E3.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts
I just don't like where they've been going lately with anything. They'd really have to pull out all the tops to convince me I can't get through the next few years just fine with a PS4 and Nintendo stuff.