New KZSF vid shows massive downgrade from the initial reveal

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Edit: I had to move the pics down because GS was placing my text in the space b/w the pics.

Just saw this on gaf and couldn’t believe my eyes. I believe this is footage from the final version of the game. What happened to the amazing building textures and reflections? What in the world happened to the lighting? The trees look like they were pulled straight out of Mario 64.

So what happened? KZ devs recently claimed that texture quality has quadrupled since the initial reveal and that the game has been optimized a lot since then. Yet all I see is a massive downgrade in basically every facet of the graphics.

This makes it three games now that were shown as ingame realtime demos at the PS4 conference and later proved to bullshit target renders likely running on high specs PCs. Deep Down looks great but does not look as good as the original reveal. Drive Club is only now starting to come close to its original trailer. And now Killzone which actually had a live demo supposedly running on a PS4 devkit touting the direct upload to Facebook feature of the PS4.

Carnage recently told me that Sony wasn’t using CGi to show off their games. But what difference does it make if you are using higher spec hardware to fool the consumers?

Footage here:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_pgw_killzone_shadow_fall_preview-14784_en.html

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Well Ok. Now we know why the kiosks didn't have Killzone Shadow Fall.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#3 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I watched the video and those screens don't do it justice. Visuals look great. Love the way the glass breaks and the blood on the walls.

Zelda99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zelda99
Member since 2004 • 770 Posts

I dont know... everything i've seen about it from the online vids and special i ngame fotage and what not, makes me believe KZ is the most beautiful game of the year. But i'll have to play it to see

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@S0lidSnake:

So you're comparing direct feed 1920 x 1080p to offscreen (and zoomed in) 1440 x 816p and finding the 816p wanting? I am shocked!

The lighting looks different, but the video quality isn't good enough to draw conclusions about texture quality.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 S0lidSnake

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake:

So you're comparing direct feed 1920 x 1080p to offscreen (and zoomed in) 1440 x 816p and finding the 816p wanting? I am shocked!

The lighting looks different, but the video quality isn't good enough to draw conclusions about texture quality.

We spent hours yesterday trying to notice a difference in the 720p vs 900p footage of BF4 and aside from the botched DF captures, we didnt notice a drastic difference in screenshots or videos or gifs.

This just looks wrong. Regardless of what resolution the vid is in. The entire thing just feels like an abomination.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake:

We spent hours yesterday trying to notice a difference in the 720p vs 900p footage of BF4 and aside from the botched DF captures, we didnt notice a drastic difference in screenshots or videos or gifs.

This just looks wrong. Regardless of what resolution the vid is in. The entire thing just feels like an abomination.

*Shrugs* Offscreen taken with a lower resolution handheld camera is going to look worse than direct feed. I guess you could call it an abomination if you are a purist who only wants to see games in perfect clarity, but sometimes its nice to see the player and the game at the same time.

The BF4 shots you pored over were all direct feed. Otherwise they'd be of little use for those going over the finer details of textures.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@S0lidSnake:

Solid, not sure if you remember, but I made reference to this last week or the week before. That the E3 showing was better than the more recent visuals people had seen. Apparently at Gamescom, the guts of the PS4 (rumor) were running on high end PC specs too.

Cannot say that I am surprised by this at all. It is Sony, they are the masters of marketing, creating hype and trying to pass along beautiful visuals as actual game play.

In the end though, KZ is going to still look good!

Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts

Some of those pics, particularly the second to last one, look really bad, graphically.

Maybe this is why the game size is so much smaller? Not sure, but it definitely worries me.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Loading Video...

I'm just going to leave this here. Never trust early trailers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Can't say that I am surprised. Sony never lies. :P I also recall being told that Sony would not be using bullshots this gen and that they have changed since the Vita. First it was Deep Down and now its Killzone. Lets hope DriveClub does not suffer the same fate.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake

@experience_fade said:

aybe this is why the game size is so much smaller? Not sure, but it definitely worries me.

lol hahahaha.

Just stop it. Let it go.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 S0lidSnake

@dvader654 said:

Sigh next gen sucks. :P

You guys heard that ps4 won't play mp3s, no custom music allowed unless you subscribe to music unlimited.

Preorder Cancelled.

Of all the things to bitch about, mp3 playback really? Gaf really overdoes it sometimes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pedro

@S0lidSnake said:

Preorder Cancelled.

Of all the things to bitch about, mp3 playback really? Gaf really overdoes it sometimes.

Are you seriously cancelling?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By S0lidSnake

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Preorder Cancelled.

Are you seriously cancelling?

nah. it's a meme.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 S0lidSnake

Ok. I just got home and downloaded the 1.5GB video and yeah, it doesnt look as bad as the screens I posted. In fact I can hardly tell the difference. Looks like the lighting is different because the segment is from a different mission, not the E3 one. It likely takes place at a different time of day.

Nvm, let's move on. lol

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18  Edited By Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Well, maybe you'll change your mind once you see it on your TV screen in 1080 hp. :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pedro

@S0lidSnake said:

Ok. I just got home and downloaded the 1.5GB video and yeah, it doesnt look as bad as the screens I posted. In fact I can hardly tell the difference. Looks like the lighting is different because the segment is from a different mission, not the E3 one. It likely takes place at a different time of day.

Nvm, let's move on. lol

Where did you get the video? Also does video show any geometry downgrade;trees and buildings, as the pic you provided shows? I know the lighting is different. One looks like GI enabled the other its disabled.

Found the link. DLing.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 S0lidSnake

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Nvm, let's move on. lol

Where did you get the video? Also does video show any geometry downgrade;trees and buildings, as the pic you provided shows? I know the lighting is different. One looks like GI enabled the other its disabled.

Found the link. DLing.

Trees are the only things that popped out at me. The building looks worse in the pics but in motion it looked nearly identical to the older footage.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@dvader654 said:

You guys heard that ps4 won't play mp3s, no custom music allowed unless you subscribe to music unlimited.

$ony

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@dvader654 said:

Preorder Cancelled.

Yeah, I wanted a game machine and that's what I'm getting. I never really used the custom soundtrack feature on the 360 except in Geometry Wars. You'd think that it didn't play used games or something. :P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

@dvader654 said:

Well that's pretty disappointing. I love listening to my own music when I play games like Gran Turismo and Forza.

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By experience_fade

@S0lidSnake said:

@experience_fade said:

aybe this is why the game size is so much smaller? Not sure, but it definitely worries me.

lol hahahaha.

Just stop it. Let it go.

Couldn't resist. But yeah, those trees still look bad, it doesn't matter what resolution or camera angle we're talking about.

I don't get that at all.

Edit: That's some PS1 graphics trees. #retro

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shame-usBlackley

@experience_fade said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@experience_fade said:

lol hahahaha.

Just stop it. Let it go.

Couldn't resist. But yeah, those trees still look bad, it doesn't matter what resolution or camera angle we're talking about.

I don't get that at all.

I can't say for sure, but I think the trees may be 720p. :)

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 experience_fade

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@experience_fade said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@experience_fade said:

lol hahahaha.

Just stop it. Let it go.

I don't get that at all.

I'm more of a PC fan than Xbox, for the record.

With that said, compare!

Dem trees! Don't act like you never played Tomorrow Never Dies on the PSX. Heck yes.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

This is why I'm really anxious to see gameplay from the Order. Will that game really look as good as the supposed 'in-game' E3 demo or will it be like these other PS4 games...

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shame-usBlackley

@experience_fade said:

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@experience_fade said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@experience_fade said:

lol hahahaha.

Just stop it. Let it go.

I don't get that at all.

I'm more of a PC fan than Xbox, for the record.

With that said, compare!

Dem trees! Don't act like you never played Tomorrow Never Dies on the PSX. Heck yes.

Yep, I'd say that's definitely 720p. They should call in a few Xbone devs to confirm it. :P

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shame-usBlackley

@firefox59 said:

This is why I'm really anxious to see gameplay from the Order. Will that game really look as good as the supposed 'in-game' E3 demo or will it be like these other PS4 games...

The Order was the cover story on this month's Game Informer, and apparently they've seen it in action and shit their pants in the process. They say it looks amazing.

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#31 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

I guess I am confused. Everyone is in such a desperate attempt to make every console look bad, and state that the graphics are as bad as previous generations, when technically, it's impossible. Both consoles COMPLETELY blow out their predecessors, yet everyone making these threads thinks its actually possible that they could be worse? Sony Fans are perhaps worse with this, but still.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Looks more like a post processing and lighting change to me. Except the trees, those are very downgraded lol