N64 wins its gen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

In my experience with playing games i've come to find that the N64 had a much more quality library then any other system during its generation.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

PS1 is my favorite that generation. Much larger and more diverse game-library with it's share of exclusive gems. And the controller is so much more comfortable to use, both the original and the dual-shock edition.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Ok? what are we supposed to discuss?
Hells_rebelion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Hells_rebelion
Member since 2003 • 2957 Posts
PS1 IMO but it's all subjective really. I just liked the lineup more on the PS1. FF7-FF9, Silent hill, metal gear....So on
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

PS1 IMO but it's all subjective really. I just liked the lineup more on the PS1. FF7-FF9, Silent hill, metal gear....So onHells_rebelion

Yeah, its all preference. PS1 had some great rpgs and other games like metal gear like you mentioned. And the N64 of course had great platformers, although the PS1 did have Crash and Spyro.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Nop n64 games have all aged poorly PS1 is full of 2d-esque games which are much better today.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

The PS1 is the only console I've preferred over its Nintendo competition so yeah.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 conkertheking1

the n64 has good racers, fps's,platformers,action adventure, third person shooters, the best fighting series and one good rpg. And it had the best grahics and the controller isnt awkward at all you just hold it where the trigger and stick are if thats not too complex...

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#9 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol @ ps 1 being better, im laughing with all the jaggies and mess how dare you think ps1 holds up very well the only games i remember that hold up today are crash and driver , the rest are still blocky and messy especally on hd tvs

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Psx won that gen, by far. It sold the most consoles. It also created the Playstation brand which lead to the enormous hype for the ps2. The psx is responsible for a lot of the ps2s success.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

the n64 has good racers, fps's,platformers,action adventure, third person shooters, the best fighting series and one good rpg. And it had the best grahics and the controller isnt awkward at all you just hold it where the trigger and stick are if thats not too complex...

conkertheking1

The PS1 can answer the N64 in most genres in some way, shape, or form. PS1 was better in some areas, N64 better in others. The only thing it can't answer is Nintendo franchises, and the N64 can't match the mass amount of great rpgs on the PS1. Both are good consoles, its preference.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I love the N64 way more than the PS1 or Saturn, but I have to agree with most everyone else in saying the PS1 was the rightful winner of that gen. It objectively had a more diverse set of games, way more AAA and AAAE titles, sold more consoles, and was supported way more by outside devs and publishers.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 conkertheking1

i do respect the ape escapes the bandicoots and all the games of ps1 but i just prefer the n64 to the ps1 because of the games i played i generally liked the nintendo ones for some reason

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#14 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
the controller isnt awkward at all you just hold it where the trigger and stick are if thats not too complex..conkertheking1
Sure, then all you have to do to press the L button or use the D-Pad is take your hand off the middle handle, and having to take your hand off the controller to press a certain button is not awkward at all. Either that, or some people have elastic fingers that I somehow didn't inherit. Not to say it's bad, I do love the N64, though I can't see how one wouldn't see the flaws in the controller. But yeah, as many said, it's more a matter of preference, the N64 had it's advantages and so did the PS1. I was personally more a PS1/Saturn guy, but I still love my N64 (infact, it's the only console I have 2 of, excluding the PS2).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"] the controller isnt awkward at all you just hold it where the trigger and stick are if thats not too complex..Dudersaper
Sure, then all you have to do to press the L button or use the D-Pad is take your hand off the middle handle, and having to take your hand off the controller to press a certain button is not awkward at all.

Name some games that require that, because I don't believe there are any--or next to none.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"] the controller isnt awkward at all you just hold it where the trigger and stick are if thats not too complex..Heirren
Sure, then all you have to do to press the L button or use the D-Pad is take your hand off the middle handle, and having to take your hand off the controller to press a certain button is not awkward at all.

Name some games that require that, because I don't believe there are any--or next to none.

Not even counting that there's the way too sensitive and liable to wear out thumbstick. And there's the awkard placement of the action buttons. A & B plus the 4-C buttons? Why not the 4-button diamond configuration of most controllers? Or even the Sega 6-button configuration? Both are much more intuitive.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

lol @ ps 1 being better, im laughing with all the jaggies and mess how dare you think ps1 holds up very well the only games i remember that hold up today are crash and driver , the rest are still blocky and messy especally on hd tvs

mariokart64fan
If all you care about are graphics, then yes, the N64 had better 3D models, but as I care about how much fun a game is to play, I found that, in quite a bit more quantity on the PS.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

conkertheking1
PlayStation also has good racers, fps's, platformers, action, adventure, third person shooters, the other best fighting series', and numerous excellent RPG's. N64 had better 3D models, but those don't make a game. Controller preferences are individual choices.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Sure, then all you have to do to press the L button or use the D-Pad is take your hand off the middle handle, and having to take your hand off the controller to press a certain button is not awkward at all.Emerald_Warrior

Not even counting that there's the way too sensitive and liable to wear out thumbstick. And there's the awkard placement of the action buttons. A & B plus the 4-C buttons? Why not the 4-button diamond configuration of most controllers? Or even the Sega 6-button configuration? Both are much more intuitive.

I disagree. The stick is one of the bests. It remains one of my favorites. The button placement is great, IMO. Six face. IMO it is the GameCube that has awkward button placement.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Without a doubt. The N64 had the best games of its generation. Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Majora's Mask, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Mystical Ninja, Goemon's Great Adventure, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye and The World is not Enough.

But what I HATE about the N64 is the controller. Worst video game console controller ever. The joystick was uncomfortable and easy to break, and NOBODY has three hands. What were they thinking when they designed that thing!?

I know people say graphics don't matter, but the PS1 didn't do 3D graphics well at all. Having blury textures that constantly shake in the background really take away from the experience.

But Nintendo kinda fvcked up in the next generation. Sony's PS2 blew Nintendo's Gamecube out of the water.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"] the controller isnt awkward at all you just hold it where the trigger and stick are if thats not too complex..Heirren

Although not NECESSARY, you need the L button to taunt in SSB64, and it serves as camera adjusting in Mario Golf 64. And I'm sure there are more games with the use of the L button. Having to take your hands off/put your hands in weird positions to reach buttons on a controller, for as irrelevant the action that button does at all may be, is a flaw in design.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
Visually, N64 games always looked the ugliest to me, but the games themselves were pretty damn good. The N64 IMO had the worst controller, almost on par with the Intellivision/Colecovision ones. PS1 had a far bigger library of good games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Sure, then all you have to do to press the L button or use the D-Pad is take your hand off the middle handle, and having to take your hand off the controller to press a certain button is not awkward at all.Dudersaper

Although not NECESSARY, you need the L button to taunt in SSB64, and it serves as camera adjusting in Mario Golf 64. And I'm sure there are more games with the use of the L button. Having to take your hands off/put your hands in weird positions to reach buttons on a controller, for as irrelevant the action that button does at all may be, is a flaw in design.

It's been a long time since I've played th console, but like I said you never really have to do that. The three prongs were for CHOICE. The dpad section was included just I case the analog backfired. I never understood the "3 hands" bllsht. If you own a DS or 3DS, do you hold the stylus in your mouth? DS and has more awkward controls than the 64, and GameCube is also very non tradition--though i still like the controller a lot.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dudersaper
I also consider the DS' stylus an awkward controller, or whatever one would call it, and yes, I do find it more awkward than the 64's controller, though it doesn't make me like the N64's controller any more just because there are more awkward controllers out there. But as I said before, I don't find the controller bad, but I do think it has it's flaws, that's all I'm saying. When I have a controller in my hand, I expect all buttons to be easily reached.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9585 Posts

Most of us here have had this arguement, and I still stand by the fact that although Nintendo had some great games and argueably the top 2 to 3 games of that generation, the PS1 wins by sheer amount of quality games. The PS library is about 600% larger. N64 was ALSO not that great outside of its blockbuster hits. Anything made by Nintendo or Rare was pretty clutch but other than a couple oddball hits other than those, the consoles games were rather shaky when it came to quality in my opinion. 10-20 average-good games and 5-10 great games can not touch a console that EASILY had more game combined then both of those that were great. Also, as far as average is concerned, the PS1 had that on lock as did the N64. There were a fair share of bad games on both consoles as well... Superman 64 and Big Rigs for starters. Although if we want to talk which console had more BAD games, I would say that the PS1 has that on lock as well. If the N64 had 200-300 more games and at least 25% of those were decent, it would be a much closer race to me. However, this is one of the most one sided arguements in my personal opinion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#26 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41565 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Nop n64 games have all aged poorly PS1 is full of 2d-esque games which are much better today.

What and PlayStation didn't have any badly aged games, either? :roll:
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Nop n64 games have all aged poorly PS1 is full of 2d-esque games which are much better today.

?? I said all n64 games aged bad PS1 has games that didn't age badly
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Nop n64 games have all aged poorly PS1 is full of 2d-esque games which are much better today.JigglyWiggly_

??

I said all n64 games aged bad

PS1 has games that didn't age badly

Not all N64 games aged bad in my opinion. F-Zero X aged beautifully as that is still quite a fast racer, hell, even Star Fox 64 still plays very well as an arcade rail shooter. I can understand why people say games like Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros. 1 aged poorly, but I still personally have fun with those.

And here are a few PlayStation games that DID age badly:

Soul Blade/Soul Edge

Tekken 1 and 2 (Tekken 3 aged very well though)

The Tomb Raider games (I personally never played the originals, but those controls sound so intolerable. I'm sticking to Legend and Anniversary)

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

not to bash on the N64, but personally I found it to have the weakest library of all three consoles of it's time

Not to say The Zelda games, Mario and SSB weren't great, but personally I feel that it's First Person shooters have all aged rather poorly and while Banjo is a pretty good game, I don't think it's quite as good as lot of people say it is (though to be fair, I always thought the spyro games were VERY overrated)

EDIT: And as other people pointed out, the controller was freaking horrible, yes, the three handles were a design decision, but that doesn't mean it was a GOOD decision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Banjo is a pretty good game, I don't think it's quite as good as lot of people say it is (though to be fair, I always thought the spyro games were VERY rilpas
I agree.
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Nop n64 games have all aged poorly PS1 is full of 2d-esque games which are much better today.JigglyWiggly_

I disagree. F Zero and Goldeneye are still 2 of the best multiplayer games to play with a group of friends around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Nop n64 games have all aged poorly PS1 is full of 2d-esque games which are much better today.l34052

I disagree. F Zero and Goldeneye are still 2 of the best multiplayer games to play with a group of friends around.

I side with the pro goldeneye camp, these days. Bottom line is that the game is just ace game design. I really miss the more open ended fps games. Given current gen hardware, it's a shame that the genre has actually taken a step back in a lot of ways.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rilpas

[QUOTE="l34052"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Nop n64 games have all aged poorly PS1 is full of 2d-esque games which are much better today.Heirren

I side with the pro goldeneye camp, these days. Bottom line is that the game is just ace game design. I really miss the more open ended fps games. Given current gen hardware, it's a shame that the genre has actually taken a step back in a lot of ways.

I think part of the anti-goldeneye camp stems from europe, see, the other day I played Goldeneye on a PAL N64 and I noticed how freaking slow the game was, I don't if it's meant to be like that, but it might have something to do with the PAL version of the game running at 50HZ

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#34 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="l34052"]

rilpas

I think part of the anti-goldeneye camp stems from europe, see, the other day I played Goldeneye on a PAL N64 and I noticed how freaking slow the game was, I don't if it's meant to be like that, but it might have something to do with the PAL version of the game running at 50HZ

I personally never thought it was too slow, it was occasionally choppy, but I don't think it was just because of poor optimization . Perfect Dark was slower if anything.
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 conkertheking1

For me the ps1 had no rareware. sooo it just disapointed me in alot of areas of quality where im used to seeing it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nintendoboy16

For me the ps1 had no rareware.

conkertheking1
Sad part is, outside of anything done by Shigeru Miyamoto, anything that wasn't Rare (I loved them too, but at times, I feel they get praised a bit too much) back in the day was considered a joke if it was on N64.
WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

N64 had no Square, N64 loses by default.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 conkertheking1

wtf are you smoking bro rareware had more games than nintendo on the n64. your lack of knowledge on the subject is simply hilarious

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 conkertheking1

WhySoLimp
Yeah if your even a fan of rpgs.lols
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nintendoboy16

wtf are you smoking bro rareware had more games than nintendo on the n64. your lack of knowledge on the subject is simply hilarious

conkertheking1

Who me? I love Rare's N64 stuff (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Donkey Kong 64 are great. I wish I had Banjo, Conker, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing and Blast Corps though), but I was just talking about the general reaction over the N64's library.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 conkertheking1

i own all those games and there all good. blastcorps im not too big a fan of though

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JigglyWiggly_

Are you guys seriously bringing up goldeneye?
It runs at like 15fps
the controls are garbage
the AI is buggy

One of the guns looks like a pencil

broken escorting missions

It has aged so badly
I am a serious FPS player, so if I say it's bad, it's bad.
Go play a good game like painkiller hell and damnation etc.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

conkertheking1

or fighting games, the N64 isn't exactly a fighting game fan's dream system.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rilpas
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"][QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

Darkman2007

or survival horror games, it only has one game in that genre
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"] Yeah if your even a fan of rpgs.lolsrilpas

you sure there wasn't more than just RE2?
Supertornado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Supertornado
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

It runs at like 15fps
the controls are garbage
the AI is buggy

It has aged so badly

JigglyWiggly_

How old are you? You sounding like a kid.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] or fighting games, the N64 isn't exactly a fighting game fan's dream system.Darkman2007

Closest I can think of is Nightmare Creatures

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"] or survival horror games, it only has one game in that genrerilpas

oh well , RE2 is a great game at least.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] you sure there wasn't more than just RE2?Darkman2007

oh well , RE2 is a great game at least.

yep, though it's still just one game.

though to be fair, the saturn only had 3-4 survival horror games, so it wasn't much better off

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nintendoboy16

It runs at like 15fps
the controls are garbage
the AI is buggy

It has aged so badly

JigglyWiggly_

Why do you care if people like or defend Goldeneye? Your opinion isn't god, Jiggly.