myths of the "brick" gameboy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

i heard that it still works after a bomb blast near it

it can stop a bullet

still works after falling off a tall building

what myths have you heard about it?

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

I don't think anyone considered those as anything other than exaggerations, but the truth was the original gameboy was probably the most durable videogame system (handheld or console) ever made. You could do a lot to that thing and not have any damage.

The joke I used to make about the Gameboy's durabilty was, "the other day I dropped my Gameboy on a cement sidewalk and the only damage was a slight crack . . . but the sidewalk already had a few cracks on it so I don't think anyone noticed one more."

ZeppelinMk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZeppelinMk2
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts
Isn't there a gameboy (in America I think) that survived a small war or something? It's all burnt and battered but still works. I think it's on Wikipedia I just can't be bothered to look.
dangerd0g24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dangerd0g24
Member since 2008 • 1455 Posts
i know someone who dropped theirs in the street and a car ran it over and it still worked. that was the SP.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
While it wasn't the old brick gameboy, I did end up dropping my gameboy color from a tree when I was a kid. The thing fell probably a good 15 feet screen first onto a large rock. When I got down and got it I was amazed to find that not only did it still work, there was no damage, not even a scratch on the screen. And when my sister decided to borrow my old GBA (the original version, not SP or micro) she took it outside, forgot about it, and left it in the yard. Well, several months later after getting a replacement GBA (since we couldn't ever find the old one) I finally found my old one out in the yard. The thing was covered with dirt, grass, and other plant matter and had a ton of crap that had gotten inside the speakers and case, but amazingly enough still worked just fine (and still works to this day).
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
The only one of those that's even remotely true is the bomb one.
MecaShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MecaShadow
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

Gameboys in general seem to be pretty durable and resiliant against damage.

An example I can give is one night my sister brought my GBA SP into the bathtub with her while she took a bath (without me knowing about it). As luck would have it, she dropped it into the water, and it became seriously messed up whenever you turned it on. However, after a week I turned the thing on for the hell of it and it worked perfectly as if nothing had happened.

So in conclusion, Gameboys can be bombed and dropped in water and they still will work.

coconutkokal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 coconutkokal
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

i dont think ive heard any but they sound pretty fuunie

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts

Nintendo World Store in New York City has display of bombed brick Gameboy during Gulf War.

Here's link-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhoran/45214051/

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Sounds like the whole chuck norris facts phenomenon. Here, let me make up a few for the game boy.

If you drop a gameboy in the lake, it doesn't become wet, the water becomes gameboy'd.

A diamond can only be cut by another diamond.....or a gameboy!

The game boy was actually crafted out of a material that Japan originally developed to protect against another atomic blast.