My Rights as a Gamer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Samcro810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Samcro810
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

I've read disturbing articles about politicians bringing the game industry to court over their M-rated games, how they are an intolerable influence to children and that they are completely inappropriate to play. First off,THAT'S WHY they are M-rated in the first place. The music industry has faced similar scrutiny in the past, having their albums stamped with parental advisory warnings for profanity, explicit lyrics etc. An M-rated game is no more influential than an R-rated movie or a parental advisory music album. This issue is really up to the parents as it has always been. Truth be told, most of my games are M-rated and it is my God-given right as a United States citizen to play them!

Please post your thoughts on this issue.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
well, if the government restricts M games to 18 and up only, there's no reason not to just rebrand it AO and make the games as mature as they want
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

They just want a way out or to use it just like how the liberals are using the Saturday shooting to ban words and images.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Games are rated by the ESRB. Rating a game is optional. Selling an M, AO, or even unrated game to a minor is perfectly legal. There are no legal reprecussions for the doing so. Companies, like gamestop, voluntarily submit themselves to be fined by the ESRB if they are caught.

There are no laws specific to gaming. Politicians are trying to instate it as a federal law. Game companies desperately don't want this and are trying to prove to the government that they are "good boys" because they can be self regulated. They hate the ESRB, but its the much lesser of two evils given the vultures of a new federal bureau that would likely reduce the speed of ratings and significantly up the fines to create a source of revenue.

EDIT: You have no rights. They aren't rights if they can be taken away from you. Those are privilages. And they can be taken away.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Along with that, if you have a console you really dont own any of your games.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
It's always been easier to point blame at others instead of at oneself.
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

In a lot of cases politicians are using games as a punching bag and claiming they are doing it to protect the kids. It reality they are probably doing it to make themselves look good without taking any political risk. They want to keep their job without doing their job.

Soon or later its going to happen. Get used to it. Chances are good it will look a lot like the parental warning stickers on music.

Playing games without federal interferance is not a right. If you want to talk about gamer rights a better topic would be the right to play a game on release free of major bugs that I just paid $50+to purchase.

victorwang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 victorwang
Member since 2008 • 713 Posts
Maybe ti's just they're not that familiar with games. The truth is there're' no ways to classify a game by violence.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

I'm pretty young by gamer standards. I play games like GTA, Assassin's Creed, Unreal Tournament, but yet I'm perfectly sane and I don't want to go around killing people. I don't understand why they're trying to do this but whatever.

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Im a 28 year old, full time student. I dont have much money, so I find gaming to be an excellent and affordable way to unwind. There has never been any game held accountable for a person's actions and I doubt there ever will be. I know right from wrong and fact from fiction, and can definitely tell the difference between reality and fantasy. And I'm sure the vast majority of gamers do. There are only those with pre-existing conditions making a bad name for us all.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I just don't want additional regulations to drive up the cost of games.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#12 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

As a gamer who does not need to worry about any of the ratings, it doesn't bother me in the least. Some games should not be sold to kids.

No matter what country you live in, I believe it is the right of any government elected officials to do what they believe is right for their people. If you don't like it, vote them out next time. Find a party that has a good policy towards games. Sure it sucks that a lot of the problems in the past have had a direct link to video games, but that's the way things go sometimes.

In my opinion, the people who have problems with gaming, are the same people who think that ALL games are just like GTA. 'Why should kids be allowed to just go around shooting people and beating up prostitutes?'

The realism of games now a days also does not help our cause. When people see you shooting or running over someone in a game that looks almost photo-realistic, they get scared that you are wanting to do this in real life.

Let's just hope that no one finds a way to play the discs backwards to find our hidden messages for world domination. :twisted:

Things will never change as long as the detractors of gaming never actually play one.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

It's just all the moms and old people that hate videogames for whatever reason. Then politicians try to take advantage of this by promising to make ratings and laws much stricter around them.

It's all a bunch of BS, and it always will be.

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if the gaming industry adopted the AO rating for some games and avoid any more issues regarding age.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
video games are just the newest thing to blame some of our problems as a society on. Most people would much rather say "ZOMG video games! are turning kids into murderers!!!" then question our parenting witch is the real problem. NOT ****ing video games!
Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

video games are just the newest thing to blame some of our problems as a society on. Most people would much rather say "ZOMG video games! are turning kids into murderers!!!" then question our parenting witch is the real problem. NOT ****ing video games!dkdk999
Exactly. The fault lies not with games, but is rooted in society itself.