Most overrated that you hate?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 0

#51 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I don't even like the brutality because for a game that's supposed to be brutal it's extremely underwhelming. It's like the game was trying to be brutal but it fails miserably because of the horrible sound effects, so killing anyone isn't satisfying. X-Men Origins: Wolverine was more brutal than God of War, because at least the lumberjacks screamed, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" when you ripped their guts out. :twisted:
RahXephon101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 RahXephon101
Member since 2005 • 501 Posts

Half - life and Half-life 2 (this one particularly)

good games, but way over hyped by gamers and magazines (anyone remember pc gamers ridiculous 98% for HL2, even though the first was better)

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

A lot of hate for GoW out there, wow.

I loved the games. Fantastic looking graphics that really pushed hte PS2. A great storyline steeped in Greek Mythology. Brutal action and fantastically impressive finishers for enemies. And speaking of the enemies, some VERY impressive boss battles. Plus the controls were spot on, which is very important for such an action-oriented game. Just an epic, in every since of the word; in my book.

Emerald_Warrior

Combat was good but not as good as DMC and NG. I did think the boss fights for the most part were great especially in the second one.

The story sucked and Kratos is a horrible character.

GOW2 > GOW1 and I do want to play the 3rd one.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#54 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

A story involving the Gods, revenge, a lost love, and betrayal. It had everything a classic story needs.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts

Metal Gear Solid
God of War
Kingdom Hearts
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy (but really almost all jrpgs)

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#56 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
It's just a really "been there, done that" story, there's nothing compelling to it, and you never really care about Kratos, you only care about who's gonna show up next and how big he is so you can rip him apart. I do admit though, he was slightly more interesting in Chains of Olympus.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Seabas989

A story involving the Gods, revenge, a lost love, and betrayal. It had everything a classic story needs.

Emerald_Warrior

Not really when the main character is a POS, and the story is terrible that butchers Greek mythology.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Seabas989

Not really when the main character is a POS, and the story is terrible that butchers Greek mythology.

I like Kratos. I think we need a few more bad-ass heroes like Kratos around. They are too many emo heroes out there with the same old, "Why me? Why am I the chosen one?" Or whatever that character happens to be moping about. I think the reluctant, self-pitying hero is getting cliched.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Seabas989

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Emerald_Warrior

I like Kratos. I think we need a few more bad-ass heroes like Kratos around. They are too many emo heroes out there with the same old, "Why me? Why am I the chosen one?" Or whatever that character happens to be moping about. I think the reluctant, self-pitying hero is getting cliched.

Except Kratos isn't a badass and at the end of GOW1 he is emo.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#60 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Seabas989

I'm completely not fussed about the story or the central characters in GOW, the gameplay is fantastic.

It's interesting that people compare the God of War games with Devil May Cry. Admittedly i only tried DMC3 but i hated it; too much showing off in the cut scenes, not proper 3D (2.5D), and dead-end gameplay if you didn't do exactly what was expected in order to defeat every foe. Yes, GOW is a button-masher in comparison but at least it let you play how you want in order to progress.

There seems to be a split forming between the two franchises; love one, hate the other.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Seabas989

Wait, what? What was he emo about, exactly? The fact that his family was killed? Because getting pissed and killing things isn't an emo reaction.

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts
Fallout 3
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Seabas989

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Emerald_Warrior

Wait, what? What was he emo about, exactly? The fact that his family was killed? Because getting pissed and killing things isn't an emo reaction.

Except he killed his family. If you want emo, see the ending of GOW1.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Seabas989

Except he killed his family. If you want emo, see the ending of GOW1.

I have, and I don't see anything emo. Which why I'm asking you what is emo about it?

And yes he killed his family, because he was tricked into it by a God. Which is the whole reason he goes on this mad-quest against the Gods.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3255 Posts

Angry Birds. I hate how people treat this game like it revolutionized gaming and how it is in a league of its own. The game is mediocre at its very best and deserves a small fraction of the praise, attention and hype it gets.

Shenmue_Jehuty

I agree. While it's fun, it's nothing more then a time waster and that's it. The game is pretty much a web browser game like something from Newgrounds or Armor Games. And yet many praise it as the next Mario, I mean you have shirts, toys, and other stuff with Angry Birds on them. It's a fun game but it's not the greatest thing ever made. That game is what you call overrated.

zhnun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 zhnun
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts

I totaly agree with you its just to slow paced for me to enjoy it.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Dudersaper
I have, and I don't see anything emo. Which why I'm asking you what is emo about it?Emerald_Warrior
He's talking about the part that also shows up at the very start, when he tries to kill himself.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Spinnerweb
I agree with everyone saying Angry Birds.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Seabas989

Funny thing is I never played Angry Birds. :P

RobbHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 RobbHunter
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
Diablo III
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Dudersaper

Seabas989
Same here. And honestly I don't think we're missing out :P
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Spinnerweb
[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Dudersaper
Same here. And honestly I don't think we're missing out :P

You're lucky. It was a squalid hell. :P
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#73 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I definitely wouldn't say hate, but retty much any game developed by Platinum (i.e. Vanquish, Bayonetta, MadWorld, etc.) I don't really like. I want to support third parties on Wii U and try out The Wonderful 101 and possibly give Bayonetta another shot, but I just don't like how the studio's games work. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#74 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

I have a couple here, and while I don't hate these games, I do think they are overrated.

Metroid Prime - some say it's the best game in the Metroid series over Super Metroid and I fully disagree, because Prime isn't even comparable to Super Metroid. People also say it's the best of the 3 Prime games, also disagree because I think Prime 3 is better than the original. I don't hate Metroid Prime, I think it's a bit overrated and I think there are better Metroid games out there.

Resident Evil (Remake on GameCube) - People say it's the best RE game, but in my case, I've played each main series Resident Evil game from 1-5 and I can say that I've enjoyed each one, OTHER than the RE1 remake. There are just some gameplay mechanics that I do not like in that game.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I have a couple here, and while I don't hate these games, I do think they are overrated.

Metroid Prime - some say it's the best game in the Metroid series over Super Metroid and I fully disagree, because Prime isn't even comparable to Super Metroid. People also say it's the best of the 3 Prime games, also disagree because I think Prime 3 is better than the original. I don't hate Metroid Prime, I think it's a bit overrated and I think there are better Metroid games out there.

Resident Evil (Remake on GameCube) - People say it's the best RE game, but in my case, I've played each main series Resident Evil game from 1-5 and I can say that I've enjoyed each one, OTHER than the RE1 remake. There are just some gameplay mechanics that I do not like in that game.

GSJones1994

I disagree, and I think it was underrated, it deserved that rare perfect score of 10

Kasavin scored it off only for Sound because Samus doesn't talk (well of course she doesn't, who does she converse with, the space pirates? the chozo ghosts? Meta Ridley?). The perfect soundtrack gives this Masterpiece a 10, definitely the best game of its generation and IMO the best Metroid game.

But I understand you have your opinion as well and I respect it, just don't agree. I also think the original Prime is the best of those 3 Prime games, Echoes was just as good IMO until the pacing begam to drag around the time you are looking for the screw attack.

I haven't heard anyone say REmake is the best RE game, loved that as well, but I don't think its the best either.

Did you play Code Veronica or Code Veronica X? Some people forget that thats part of the main series as well. If you haven't played it, its well worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#76 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

AFBrat77

I disagree, and I think it was underrated, it deserved that rare perfect score of 10

Kasavin scored it off only for Sound because Samus doesn't talk (well of course she doesn't, who does she converse with, the space pirates? the chozo ghosts? Meta Ridley?). The perfect soundtrack gives this Masterpiece a 10, definitely the best game of its generation and IMO the best Metroid game.

But I understand you have your opinion as well and I respect it, just don't agree. I also think the original Prime is the best of those 3 Prime games, Echoes was just as good IMO until the pacing begam to drag around the time you are looking for the screw attack.

I haven't heard anyone say REmake is the best RE game, loved that as well, but I don't think its the best either.

Did you play Code Veronica or Code Veronica X? Some people forget that thats part of the main series as well. If you haven't played it, its well worth it.

Yes, I've played Code: Veronica, it's excellent, but hard as f**k, sorry for the language. Code: Veronica is no doubt the hardest in the series, and I think RE5 comes in a close second, because that one's tough too, because your AI partner can be pretty dumb.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]I have, and I don't see anything emo. Which why I'm asking you what is emo about it?Dudersaper
He's talking about the part that also shows up at the very start, when he tries to kill himself.

Okay. He's got a point there. But one moment, vs. an entire game of testerone-fueled bad-assery does not make him emo.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Spinnerweb
I always have to laugh at how people think it's a touching good story how Kratos was tricked into killing his family and then he was vengeful on random Greek gods. I've seen seven-year-olds write better stories.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#79 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

I always have to laugh at how people think it's a touching good story how Kratos was tricked into killing his family and then he was vengeful on random Greek gods. I've seen seven-year-olds write better stories.Spinnerweb

Anyone who goes into a God of War game expecting a fascinating story has bought the wrong game.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Spinnerweb

[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]I always have to laugh at how people think it's a touching good story how Kratos was tricked into killing his family and then he was vengeful on random Greek gods. I've seen seven-year-olds write better stories.BarbaricAvatar

Anyone who goes into a God of War game expecting a fascinating story has bought the wrong game.

I didn't. I just think it's absurd how everyone acts like they give twenty hoots about Kratos and his family.

Besides, the gameplay was awful, and I did expect fascinating gameplay with everyone fawning over it. You can't say you don't expect good gameplay from a game.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Dudersaper
I didn't find the gameplay anything close to awful. Apart from the poor platforming sections.