most overrated games of all time?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acquitted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 acquitted
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

What games do you think that are wayyyy too popular for their value?

When someone talks overrated I think of TOMB RAIDER, this game is a boring adventure game to me...ALL OF THE TOMB RAIDERS, too much running and climbing not enough action. If you want a real adventure game get HITMAN CONTRACTS

MegaSonicZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 MegaSonicZX
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts
Halo, even though I think it's awesome.
kem2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kem2000
Member since 2003 • 117 Posts

I dont really think you can compare Hitman to Tomb raider, and it is by no means considered an adventure game. Hitman is more of an action/steath-emup/shooter (depending on your play style).

I have to say though, the REAL tomb raider games, i.e., not the angel of darkness and the newer ones which are more focused on action, are not over-rated really, i think they are at about their right level of rating, so to speak.

To me, the most over rated games in all of history are every one of the Halo games, people seem to think that it is the god of all games and that nothing will ever beat it, and then base everything on halo and believe that all its generic elements that are in every other shooter are 'unique' and critisise all other shooters for having them.

I can think of fps's from at least 10 years ago that beat halo hands down.

and before anyone cares to call me a fanboy of any kind, i own all 3 of the current gen consoles (wii, ps3, 360) and a top range pc, so I dont limit my self, plus i have completed all 3 halo's.

Though one thing i can say is that it has ok multiplayer for a console, though its one HUGE feature seems to be matchmaking, which is basically just a random map feature that has been done before.

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

Final Fantasy 7

that games did not age well

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

Final Fantasy 7

that games did not age well

niall077

LOL..age well? where have you been living? its still being played and being demanded like hell.....

on topic=halo is THE "thing" when it comes to overration.

MegaSonicZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MegaSonicZX
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts
Resident Evil 4 is pretty overrated too.
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
Gears of War
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
I don't undestand Halo being overated when everyone allways says it is. If people can't see its qualityies then thats their problem. For example, I didn't get into Metroid but I don't say its oevrated because I can see why people like it so much.
ninjacat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 ninjacat11
Member since 2004 • 5008 Posts
Halo.
stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 stevendiep_100
Member since 2004 • 2193 Posts

halo, the 21st century pokeman

Sexy_Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sexy_Pirate
Member since 2006 • 3298 Posts

I don't undestand Halo being overated when everyone allways says it is. If people can't see its qualityies then thats their problem. For example, I didn't get into Metroid but I don't say its oevrated because I can see why people like it so much.hair001

Agreed. Also, I think a really overrated game is Bioshock.

Sexy_Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sexy_Pirate
Member since 2006 • 3298 Posts

stevendiep_100

Judging by your sig, I think you believe half life totally pawns halo but to be honest, they really can't be compared. Sure, they both have a 1st person perspective but they are really different. I really like playing half life 2's single player but not Halo's so much. But Halo's multiplayer is where it's at.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Mortal Kombat (This game just sucks....no really it's just a glitchy game with alot of blood with UMK3 being the only exception)

Halo (I've played better Source Mods then this game's multiplayer, I'm not kidding)

Bioshock (Worse then it's predecessor so I've heard, but I didn't enjoy this game that much)

Final Fantasy VI (Yes we know it's better then VII, but even so it still isn't that special)

Street Fighter III: Third Strike (While it's one of my favorite fighting games, it isn't the flawless God fighting fans claim it to be)

Devil May Cry (I'm not complaining about the quality of the game but more so that people act like this game is the fastest game ever made and fufills the sheer speed of a 2D game (usually referred to fighters). In reality this game isn't that fast it just constantly keeps you on your toes. If you want to see what I mean then play Devil May Cry then play as Millenia Rage in Guilty Gear and you'll notice the difference)

Planescape Torment (I guess this is more of a "love it or hate it" type of game, but I found nothing special about it)

Gradius III (This brings into question of how many shoot-em-ups SNES owners have really played)

SEGA Dreamcast (I still don't understand why people treat this console as a lost Messiah)

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 randiolo
Member since 2004 • 53 Posts

Halo and NFS..

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

stevendiep_100

LOL, that is great.

_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _rock_
Member since 2007 • 7071 Posts
I think halo 2 is overrated. Its a great game but not as great as they say.
thezuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thezuki
Member since 2005 • 1073 Posts

all the halos because i find them to be generic and repetitive that goes for online and off

and the final fantasy games as well

and gears of war

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Minglis
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

i dunno why the idiot posting said tomb raider, it isnt exactly a critically acclaimed series and the only reason you gave for it being "overrated" was that there wasnt enough action, that goes more to what you enjoy rather than what makes the game bad. the first 3 were all alot of fun and didnt even rate that well anyway, wtf are you talking about?

anyway, definitely the halo series. the first one i really thought was great, alot of fun but definitely not revolutionary and then imo it just went downhill from there, people seemed to just be nostalgic from the first one. maybe they werent as bad as i make 2 and 3 sound but they definitely are the definition of "overrated".

bioshock was up there too,it had alot of great ideas but other than that and the graphics it didnt seem to me to be in the same league as crysis or even stalker for that matter.

mrjonnyringo72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrjonnyringo72
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts

I'm also going to have to say the Halo series...

I'm kind of surprised nobody said mgs, they better not either.

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 elbow2k
Member since 2007 • 1645 Posts

Bioshock, Bioshock and more Bioshock.

Isn't even a top 5 FPS this year in my books.

Avatar image for MasterChief1013
MasterChief1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 MasterChief1013
Member since 2004 • 7019 Posts
to be fair, Halo: CE was amazing IMO. the campaign was long, challenging, and just a blast to play (except for those flood levels.) and if you had buddies to play with then the multiplayer was truly amazing. Halo 2 and 3 however... are just wash ups. they're disgusting. average as hell yet it's treated like some sort of god.

GeOW was also pretty overrated. i rented it awhile back and beat the campaign and played some multi. multi's a glitch fest. and the campaign was way too short, and the guns felt weak as hell except for that cool sniper. graphics were pretty good too.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
Im going to get controversial here and say in recent times the most overrated is Half Life 2. A great game but its not perfect or a revolution at least to me. The first game I felt was better. Old and overrated I have to say Diablo 2. I played the game passed it twice and never looked back. It was a nice click and slash game with awesome videos but thats all. It irritates me when people discuss their strategies for passing the game for the 20th time.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Grand Theft Auto series.
Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Minglis

Im going to get controversial here and say in recent times the most overrated is Half Life 2. A great game but its not perfect or a revolution at least to me. The first game I felt was better. Old and overrated I have to say Diablo 2. I played the game passed it twice and never looked back. It was a nice click and slash game with awesome videos but thats all. It irritates me when people discuss their strategies for passing the game for the 20th time.rzepak

i dont think any reviewer or educated gamer and fan of hl2 and hl1 ever thoughthl2 was revolutionary or perfect for that matter, it was however a highly polished and fun first person shooter, it hardly compares to the hype that has surrounded the latest halo games.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Bioshock, Bioshock and more Bioshock.

Isn't even a top 5 FPS this year in my books.

elbow2k

See that's the problem. It's not really an fps in the sense that halo and half life are an fps. It's an fpa, having more in common with deus ex than halo.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Halo, even though i love the series. It is was to hyped, and over rated.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Anyhow, I think these threads are pointless because they all turn into halo bashing threads. And the only reason people bash halo so much is because it's so incredibly popular. Even if you legitimately don't like the single player I have NEVER heard any valid complaints against the multiplayer.
patriots2871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 patriots2871
Member since 2007 • 21445 Posts
halo
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

RE4

Gears of War

Oblivion

These three are the worst offenders. They might be pretty (except in Oblivion's case), but gameplay-wise provided nothing that justifies their scores.

Your_Gonna_Die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Your_Gonna_Die
Member since 2007 • 125 Posts
Halo and Gears of War
acquitted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 acquitted
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

i dunno why the idiot posting said tomb raider, it isnt exactly a critically acclaimed series and the only reason you gave for it being "overrated" was that there wasnt enough action, that goes more to what you enjoy rather than what makes the game bad. the first 3 were all alot of fun and didnt even rate that well anyway, wtf are you talking about?

anyway, definitely the halo series. the first one i really thought was great, alot of fun but definitely not revolutionary and then imo it just went downhill from there, people seemed to just be nostalgic from the first one. maybe they werent as bad as i make 2 and 3 sound but they definitely are the definition of "overrated".

bioshock was up there too,it had alot of great ideas but other than that and the graphics it didnt seem to me to be in the same league as crysis or even stalker for that matter.

Minglis

I've played all the TOMB RAIDERS and they all suck! I've been gaming sence the early 90s when you were probably in diapers! I've played NINTENDO games more interesting then TOMB RAIDERS like River City Ransom for instance

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Minglis

im probably the same age as you (older judging by your post), if you actually had a valid explanation i wouldnt think that you're a complete moron. id argue with you but there really is no point is there all you told me was "im right and you're wrong".

shut the **** up.

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Minglis
btw saying you've been playing games since the early 90's doesnt mean **** around here, pretty much all gamers over 18 have.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#34 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
[QUOTE="Minglis"]

acquitted

I've played all the TOMB RAIDERS and they all suck! I've been gaming sence the early 90s when you were probably in diapers! I've played NINTENDO games more interesting then TOMB RAIDERS like River City Ransom for instance

Oh really... What's the useless cheat in TR2? Tell me if you have really played a single TR game!

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#35 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

btw saying you've been playing games since the early 90's doesnt mean **** around here, pretty much all gamers over 18 have.Minglis

He's spamming. You know what you and I should do? Report him easily!

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
Final Fantasy 7
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
Halo, Gears of War, Oblivion, BioShock.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 trick6952

Same. I think FF7 is grossly overrated, and here is the reason. Yeah, FF7 has a few undying fans, but they are very few of them, so few I never actually meet one. They are all on the internet somewhere.

Key factor here is, the industry is looking for a champion game to promote on every game style. GBT games (which is the FF serie, except maybe FFX-2) are the oldest genre, Chess are still kicking asses. Boardgames are competing with it and some players prefer these for the SOCIAL interactions (has very little to do with the game itself). The result is that you have peoples in the industry who want to follow the lead of a champion, and they are misguided when they pick FF7, badly mistaken. I understand why a dev would rather try to improve FF7 then Chess, it is a lot easier to improve FF7, has much more room for improvements; and FF7 doesn't have the unfair social edge that chess gets (no matter how limited 1 vs 1 is).

The end results is that GBT games (RPGs or TBS) have strong offline competition; and the devs rarely check offline for some reasons. If you want to beat the champion, you have to check to him and his league, off course it is more re-assuring to stay with the midgets and try to outdo them, which is also a lot easier.

Computers GBTs have 1 strong edge, it can include very tedious boards without putting that tediusness on the players, or use complex stuff as long as it remains simple from a player point of view. Most games are unable to do so, they either stay too simple...or they either make no translation and put the overwhelming complexity on the players shoulders.

Again, a game such as FF7 is overated, it is soo easy my cat would wins. :P The story is kinda good, but please, keep it more entertaining then a book, the progression could be less...linear! Bah. Rather play Oblivion even if it fall on the other extreme and excess of the genre.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

World of Warcraft

With 9 million subscribers, it has more fanboys than any other game. And naturally fanboys call it the best game ever.

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
I was very disappointed with Bioshock. The only choices you really make are whether to harvest or rescue the little sisters, and it was way to linear for a game that takes place in an underwater city. The gameplay got old real fast as well. The only thing that brought me to finnish it was the awesome story and the achievment for finnishing the game without harvesting any little sisters.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

And the only reason people bash halo so much is because it's so incredibly popular. Even if you legitimately don't like the single player I have NEVER heard any valid complaints against the multiplayer.UT_Wrestler

I have a legitimate complaint about the multiplayer. It's too unbalaneced, not enough depth, unthoughtful level design, and just generic in general. That's at least why I don't appereciate the game, I'm not bashing it just for the sake of popularity.

See that's the problem. It's not really an fps in the sense that halo and half life are an fps. It's an fpa, having more in common with deus ex than halo.

UT_Wrestler

And in that degree it's over-rated even worse. Why do you think PC Gamers despise this game more then anyone else? It's light years away from Deus Ex, Half-Life 1, and System Shock II. And I beat Deus Ex the same day I started playing Bioshock so it isn't nostalgia, Deus Ex destroyed Bioshock in every form imaginable to my eyes but graphics and animation. Sad that they don't make games like that anymore.

carrotthead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 carrotthead
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
halo...2 taking the brunt of my overated jibes
TimeSplitter32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TimeSplitter32
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hi guys i am just a noob but i think Resident evil 4 is pretty overrated!

pcbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pcbm
Member since 2003 • 611 Posts
all of the halos
hellz_ya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hellz_ya
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The halo series...

Too repetitive and just boring on single player...

althought I admit that it does make a good party game, but thats only from the commentary of the other players...

Sneezedoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sneezedoof
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
Halo 3, jeez that game was overrated to the point where it was ridiculous. I finally rented it and all i could think was, wasn't this supposed to be the best game ever? guess not...
jrtan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jrtan
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts
HALO 3 definitely. I spent $70 buying a piece of junk. Crysis and World in Conflict are a lot cheaper and better.
dragoon133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dragoon133
Member since 2006 • 754 Posts

UT_Wrestler, all of what Gunraiden said are legitimate complaints. Multiplayer, on it's own merits, just isn't that good. Compared to other console FPS's it's above average, I guess. Still meh. But compared to PC FPS multiplayer, it just sucks. And now I just sound like a hermit but the reality is that a PC is just better suited to the genre, from the controls to mods. That and Halo is really overrated, and the multiplayer is terribly overrated.

But as much as I hate Halo for being overrate, Oblivion still takes the cake IMO. Granted I'm pretty much in love with Morrowind, but still. Oblivion had so much hype and so many good reviews, and there's such a large number of people who love it, but I really don't get it. I mean Morrowind sucks you in in a way Oblivion NEVER could. It's all eye candy with no substance, from the cookie cutter main story to the lack of any kind of depth as far skills and levelling up goes, and don't even get me started on the tragedies that are the fast travel and compass systems. And it wouldn't even be so bad if hadn't ruined what was otherwise a brilliant series.

ryanstoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 ryanstoy91
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts

I would say Madden, but that would be too obvious.

Recently though, I found Dead Rising to be an overated game. The vast majority of my peers persuaded me to try this one, however I just could not conceive how this game got such a high approval rating.

soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts
RE:4 and Chrono Trigger.