most overrated game of all time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gr1ndgr1nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gr1ndgr1nd
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts

as for me that was FF7 (but Sephiroth my lovely character in videogame's ind.):)

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#2 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Final Fantasy 7

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

as for me that was FF7 (but Sephiroth my lovely character in videogame's ind.):)

gr1ndgr1nd
Here we go again......
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="gr1ndgr1nd"]

Foulcry
Here we go again......

my thoughts exactly, but nevermind. at any rate the game I think is the most overrated is Die Hard Trilogy, GS gave it a 9.4 on the PS1 and a much lower score on the Saturn due to frame rate issues. they were certainly right about the Saturn version , it was a terrible game with a terrible frame rate. what I disagree with them about is that the PS1 version is still terrible, the only difference is that it runs better, but other then that, the game in general was not very good.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

gr1ndgr1nd

Here we go again, these threads are just purely flame bait and people are going to get upset over what ever anyone says.....

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

my picks:

Every Final Fantasy after 6

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic 2

Shenmue

the Donkey Kong Country series and donkey kong 64

Metal Gear Solid series

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkman2007

my picks:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic 2

Shenmue

Metal Gear Solid series

ohthemanatee
you may want to run and hide , you will soon be flooded by by angry comments regarding those games :P sadly it does happen.
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

Doom.

There I said it.

You shoot things over and over again. I never thought it was very engaging, and I never understood why it was the voted the best PC game of all time.

Anyway, that's how I feel. Time to break out the asbestos...

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

my picks:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic 2

Shenmue

Metal Gear Solid series

Darkman2007

you may want to run and hide , you will soon be flooded by by angry comments regarding those games :P sadly it does happen.

I'll get my flameshield ready :P

Lynx777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lynx777
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts
Earthbound. Not that it's a bad game but it is overrated. It's a mediocre Dragon Quest clone with a certain game design that I cannot stand. And all of the so-called "humor" in the game isn't funny to anyone over the age of 7. Although, a lot of people who like the game liked it from childhood so they have a nostalgia going with them. However, I didn't play it when I was younger so I have to base everything off of the gameplay and story with no personal biases.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

my picks:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic 2

Shenmue

Metal Gear Solid series

ohthemanatee
:( :x :evil: how dare you say smw DKC and OoT is over rated those are some of the best games on those systems:x
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

my picks:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic 2

Shenmue

Metal Gear Solid series

ohthemanatee

Wow, I actually agree with you on all but the DKC series.:o Here's one less torch to dodge.;)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

my picks:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic 2

Shenmue

Metal Gear Solid series

ohthemanatee

you might need more then a flameshield I think :P

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/files/2010/02/0211flamethrower.jpg

I suggest a long term holiday in the arctic, along with a false moustache and a name change

alternatively you could do what blackadder did and stick 2 pencils up your nose , and wear a pair of underwear on you head, they will think youre mad and leave you alone :P

http://www.elec-intro.com/EX/05-14-20/Blackadder_IV_-_Goodbyeee.jpg

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] you may want to run and hide , you will soon be flooded by by angry comments regarding those games :P sadly it does happen.Darkman2007

I suggest a long term holiday in the arctic, along with a false moustache and a name change

alternatively you could do what blackadder did and stick 2 pencils up your nose , and wear a pair of underwear on you head, they will think youre mad and leave you alone :P

oh please, Field Marshal Douglas Haig would never fall for that, I might as well just get my pointy stick and fight those germans

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]I'll get my flameshield ready :P

ohthemanatee

oh please, Field Marshal Douglas Haig would never fall for that, I might as well just get my pointy stick and fight those germans

get Baldrick's mother to help you, as Blackadder said "Im sure a maternally outraged gorilla will be a useful ally" :P

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

get Baldrick's mother to help you, as Blackadder said "Im sure a maternally outraged gorilla will be a useful ally" :P

as Lieutenant George would say: HURRAH!

you know what? i'm hijacking this thread, this is now a thread about Black Adder

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]I'll get my flameshield ready :P

ohthemanatee

Thats the problem with these threads, people either take it the wrong way and get all emotional about things they should not. But none the less, I will take back and say what I said...for me the most overrated games are...

The Original Donkey Kong Country

And Ocarina of Time...

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

ohthemanatee

you know what? i'm hijacking this thread, this is now a thread about Black Adder

the original blackadder series was meh , but 2,3 and 4 were fantastic , with 4 being the best/
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Thats the problem with these threads, people either take it the wrong way and get all emotional about things they should not. But none the less, I will take back and say what I said...for me the most overrated games are...

And Ocarina of Time...

get ready with the pencils and underwear trick :P or the long holiday :P

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

Darkman2007

And Ocarina of Time...

Yep I am quite prepared. Heh I like Ocarina of Time, its just not as perfect as people say it is, I find it to have many flaws actually. I find Link to the Past to be the definitive Zelda game personally and its in my top ten possibly top five games of all time.

Donkey Kong Country, well the original is so unbalanced in terms of level progression. I replayed the game last year and I found that the level design is just off. Some levels are well made, some are poorly made, and some are easier and some are harder. ANd thats unbalanced as you can play four easy levles get a hard level, play three easy ones and then get a hard stage. No consistency, and there were too many rehashes in the game as far as level design goes i.e how many times was the mine cart level rehashed?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

And Ocarina of Time...

TheTrueMagusX1

Yep I am quite prepared. Heh I like Ocarina of Time, its just not as perfect as people say it is, I find it to have many flaws actually. I find Link to the Past to be the definitive Zelda game personally and its in my top ten possibly top five games of all time.

Donkey Kong Country, well the original is so unbalanced in terms of level progression. I replayed the game last year and I found that the level design is just off. Some levels are well made, some are poorly made, and some are easier and some are harder. ANd thats unbalanced as you can play four easy levles get a hard level, play three easy ones and then get a hard stage. No consistency, and there were too many rehashes in the game as far as level design goes i.e how many times was the mine cart level rehashed?

well the main draw for the game were its production values, at least in my opinion . its a good game, but I also never saw why its considerd better then some other platformers at the time, like Sonic or Mario, or even some others like Jazz Jackrabbit.
Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

The Zelda series.

There I said it.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

well the main draw for the game were its production values, at least in my opinion . its a good game, but I also never saw why its considerd better then some other platformers at the time, like Sonic or Mario, or even some others like Jazz Jackrabbit.

'

No it has nothing on those games. Like I said the level design was an inconsitant mess, and alot of levels were rehashes of other levels and at times these rehashes were easier than the first version of the level you faced. The first mine cart for example is more difficult than the rest of the other mine cart levels. Mario and Sonic had better level design and did not rely on rehashes on other levels. Super Mario Bros 3 for example is a perfect example on this, every level feels different from the other. A swimming level for example will be different from other swimming levels. They differeinated the design something that the original DKC utterly failed at....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#24 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Call of Duty is overrated. Fanboys, fire away

cronomagus36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 cronomagus36
Member since 2009 • 12663 Posts

Call of Duty is overrated. Fanboys, fire away

This, the Halo series (especially 3), Mass Effect, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. They're not all legacy games, but I find them all to be boring and repetitive.

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] you may want to run and hide , you will soon be flooded by by angry comments regarding those games :P sadly it does happen.Darkman2007

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/files/2010/02/0211flamethrower.jpg

I agree.

CrankyStorming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CrankyStorming
Member since 2010 • 223 Posts

While there are a lot of games we consider classics that had their various issues with superficial things like difficulty balance and control precision, and lose marks with me as a result, but I'm going to have to say that the most over rated game in history is Final Fantasy 2. Simply put, the game is garbage. How can anyone claim to find enjoyment out of a game where just talking to someone is unnecessarily time-consuming and flat-out painful, and then say that it was incredible?

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

Baldur's Gate 2 and Supreme Commander

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#29 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

Super Mario World. OK, it's a good game, but I don't see why so many people consider it the best platformer of all time. SMB and SMB3 were way better IMO.

As for current-gen games, GTA IV is just ridiculously overrated.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

The Sonic series in general, especially the Sonic Adventure games.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

probably golden eye..

and yes.. i did play multiplayer.. it's still kinda boring

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

GTA 4, Halo 3, Modern Warfare 2. Basically all GTA, Halo, Call of Duty and other popular games.

gr1ndgr1nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gr1ndgr1nd
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts
[QUOTE="samanthademeste"]

The Zelda series.

There I said it.

with Ocarina of time i don't sleep 3 night))
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Phantasy Star II. I see this one on the best Genesis RPGs/favorite 16-bit RPG lists a lot, but PSII is hands down one of the least enjoyable games I've forced myself to play through.

TriggerGear

I was not keen on many of the Phantasy Star games either, except IV which as far as I'm concerned is by far the best.

But what's worth noting though which I didn't know at the time, is that due to the ridiculous wait times for Nintendo console RPG's during the era, as opposed to Sega who attempted to get their games out as fast as possible, Phantasy Star 2 actually came out in the US before Final Fantasy 1 on NES did, even though it was 2 years newer, so at the time Americans were possibly comparing it to early NES RPGs.

Another big point is that Phantasy Star II is a very early Mega Drive game, as in it came out only a few months after the console, there's not really anything to compare it with on SNES as a benchmark because the SNES didn't even exist until a year and a half after Phantasy Star 2 came out, obviously games move on as time goes by and improvements end up becoming standard, early SNES RPG's such as Final Fantasy 4 came out over two years after Phantasy Star 2

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silent_bomber

yet PSII came out almost 3 years after DQ in Japan and ended up being worse imo.TriggerGear
Oh right, I thought this was a serious conversation, my mistake LMAO

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

[QUOTE="TriggerGear"]yet PSII came out almost 3 years after DQ in Japan and ended up being worse imo.TriggerGear

Oh right, I thought this was a serious conversation, my mistake LMAO

Don't know what to tell you, I had more fun with DQ. =P

And if you did fine. This is the problem that I have with these threads, is that you say a game is overrated and some one will get all upset and question why it is, completely derailing the thread. It is quite obvious Domino is upset because you said one of his favorite games was overrated, but guess what thats the way it goes. Its subjective simple as that, I understand your opinion completely Trigger Gear...completely. Domino should learn to do the same.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

Doom.

There I said it.

You shoot things over and over again. I never thought it was very engaging, and I never understood why it was the voted the best PC game of all time.

Anyway, that's how I feel. Time to break out the asbestos...

NEStorianPriest
It is pretty dated and repetitive by todays standards but it did make FPSs what they are today. FF7 on the other hand, while a great game, did nothing all that new or innovative for the time.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 silent_bomber

It is quite obvious Domino is upset because you said one of his favorite games was overrated, but guess what thats the way it goes. Its subjective simple as that, I understand your opinion completely Trigger Gear...completely. Domino should learn to do the same.TheTrueMagusX1
Actually I didn't say I liked Phantasy Star 2, I'm not a big fan of the game at all :D

But I think saying its worse than the original Dragon Quest is just too much, Dragon Quest was good for its time but that game was as rudimentary as RPGs can get, it didn't really even have much of a plot, or character development, hell it didn't really even have characters, there was you, the bad guy, and a princess needing rescuing, you couldn't form a party or anything.

Now Phantasy Star IV, that game was great

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]It is quite obvious Domino is upset because you said one of his favorite games was overrated, but guess what thats the way it goes. Its subjective simple as that, I understand your opinion completely Trigger Gear...completely. Domino should learn to do the same.Domino_slayer

Actually I didn't say I liked Phantasy Star 2, I'm not a big fan of the game at all :D

But I think saying its worse than the original Dragon Quest is just too much, Dragon Quest was good for its time but that game was as rudimentary as RPGs can get, it didn't really even have much of a plot, or character development, hell it didn't really even have characters, there was you, the bad guy, and a princess needing rescuing, you couldn't form a party or anything.

Now Phantasy Star IV, that game was great

But games are not always about story. Perhaps he felt the mechanics were better than what they had in PSII. So its all subjective however I do agree with you about PSIV though....

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I will have to go out on a limb and say any Halo game. The original one was pretty good, but every single one after that is overrated by a LOT. and I'm also not a supporter of giving ANY game a 10/10. NO game in my eyes is "perfect", there is always room for improvement.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts
[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

GTA 4, Halo 3, Modern Warfare 2. Basically all GTA, Halo, Call of Duty and other popular games.

YOU DARE HATE ON GTA?!! YOU MUST DIE!!!:P

GTA 4 sucks compared to all the others. Call of Duty 2, and Modern Warfare 1 were the only good one's. The rest are horribe. Halo 1's multiplayer was awesome but it single player was overrated. Halo 2's multiplayer was awesome and it's single player was horrible. Halo 3 was garbage and Reach is a decent game all round and still needs a few adjustments to make it great online.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

*Insert popular game that i didn't like but for some reason it most be overrated here*

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

super mario 64 and zelda wind waker

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bultje112

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

the original blackadder series was meh , but 2,3 and 4 were fantastic , with 4 being the best/

exactly. 1 was the most expensive and also writte by rowan atkinson and therefore featured many mr bean like imbecile humor that I don't like compared to the verbal bashings in the other blackadders and blackadder 4 being the absolute best with historically correct jokes that are too funny

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

super mario 64 and zelda wind waker

bultje112

why

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bultje112

super mario 64 was to me a very bland 3d platformer. nothing special to me. not bad but nothing exceptional at all. this accounts for many n64 games btw, the most overrated system I've ever seen. zelda wind-waker was repetetive as is usual in zelda games but this game to me lacked the atmosphere that makes the repetiveness nothing to feel bad about in other games. to me zelda went downhil after ocarina of time, and in overall is an overrated franchise.

mario games ruled when they were on snes and nes and also mario kart games are great(also in 3d) but super mario 64 was made out to be the best platform game ever created when it came out and it's nothing like that. I take almost all 2d platformers and a number of 3d platformers over mario 64 any day.

nights and super mario 64 came out around same time and were often compared and nights was 100x more revolutionary and better in my opinion