Melee VS SSB 64

This topic is locked from further discussion.

glassjawbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 glassjawbox
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

...thoughts?

I will receive and begin playing Melee for the first time this weekend! :shock:

SSB is by far my favorite game for N64; I have played it on/off it for many years.

I have played brawl but i feel like it was too far gone from the original, or maybe it was the wii controller i never liked. Melee looks like the happy medium.

I can't wait... :D

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Never got too into melee and brawl, but their pretty alike from my limited scope. The original is much different from the two, imo with bigger maps and a huge selection of characters over twelve.

I hope your not using a wiimote to play brawl, buy a gc controller.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i played melee a few times but since it has no online i never got into it..

brawl is very very fun and the online means theres always fresh players to play with.

ssb64 is the best to me.. you can own people sick in this game...in brawl its too watered down.. on the 64 one when you hits people you heard a huge POW..lol love it.. and you can play this online oon kaillera which makes it so much better.

glassjawbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 glassjawbox
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

brawl is very very fun and the online means theres always fresh players to play with.

ssb64 is the best to me.. you can own people sick in this game...in brawl its too watered down.. on the 64 one when you hits people you heard a huge POW..lol love it.. and you can play this online oon kaillera which makes it so much better.

KBFloYd
You said, "online oon kalllera"? What is that exactly?
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Brawl is much better played with the classic or gamecube controller so that might be your problem. I didn't like it much at all with the wiimote. Melee is great I'm sure you'll love since you like the first so much.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Hard decision, had a lot of fun with both of them... But probably SSB 64 because I was better at that one.

SpikeyAss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpikeyAss777
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts
[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

glassjawbox

It's one of the many applications that allow you to play online on an emulator. Kaillera is all for fighting games though, there's others I've used that let me play Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Perfect Dark online etc, and on most servers and if I was playing with people not halfway around the otherside of the world it didn't have any lag at all. Here's the FAQ on their site: http://www.kaillera.com/faq.php
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I loved Melee, and probably played it more than the original SSB.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="glassjawbox"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

SpikeyAss777

It's one of the many applications that allow you to play online on an emulator. Kaillera is all for fighting games though, there's others I've used that let me play Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Perfect Dark online etc, and on most servers and if I was playing with people not halfway around the otherside of the world it didn't have any lag at all. Here's the FAQ on their site: http://www.kaillera.com/faq.php

yea its a service that lets you play mario kart 64 and smash bros 64 online...among many other games.

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Man I LOVED Melee. First game I ever played for a day straight :]...and damn proud too. I played Melee before SSB64 so I thought it was a step down. But theyre both good.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There really is no contest. Melle beats out the original in every way. More maps, characters, modes and unlockables make for a much, much better game. Hell, it even included like half of the old stages. However, I think, out of all of them, Brawl is best, although, beleive me, Melle is a very close second.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#12 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Melee > Brawl > 64

I don't know if I just grew out of the game or something, but Brawl barely held my attention like Melee did back in the day.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KBFloYd

Melee > Brawl > 64

I don't know if I just grew out of the game or something, but Brawl barely held my attention like Melee did back in the day.

ThePerro

so are you saying people that enjoy the 64 version best havn't grown up?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Super Smash Bros can be slightly cheap at times, back in the day I remember bouncing my friends all over the place and with careful timing hitting them repeatedly as they got up, when we bought Melee the first thing I noticed was that it was harder to do fast follow up attacks (they can still be done with certain characters and moves but it never seemed as reliable to pull off). Whether this is a bad thing of not is dependent on whether you like to really lay into someone, versus a more balanced, and careful (but slower) match I guess.

Other than that the 2nd biggest difference was that the stages became much more dynamic in melee, with all sorts of fast moving objects and stage scrolling adding more of a platformer element.

Last thing to mention is the obvious, Melee had more characters, more stages, better graphics etc.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#15 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

Melee > Brawl > 64

KBFloYd

so are you saying people that enjoy the 64 version best havn't grown up?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying when I say I've grown out of Super Smash Bros Brawl, you toddler you. Now kindly remove the bib and pacifier please and this process will move a lot faster.

DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

I think Melee is the best one of them all. Melee have Adventure mode which is 10 times more fun than Subspace and Melee had the best maps. The only thing the game is lacking today is the characters that they put into brawl. (my opinion)

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I think Melee is objectively a superior game to the original, but I never got into it the way I did with the first one. I have so many great memories of playing that game with my little brother for hours on end. It definitely was a great fighting game.

TrinityCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#18 TrinityCat
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

I loved both, but I got more hooked with Melee. I played it for endless hours and enjoyed beating my friends. Ah, good times. But my favorite of the three is Brawl. ^_~

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

64 is the best. It has the deepest gameplay, but they're all good games.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

There really is no contest. Melle beats out the original in every way. More maps, characters, modes and unlockables make for a much, much better game. Hell, it even included like half of the old stages. However, I think, out of all of them, Brawl is best, although, beleive me, Melle is a very close second.

turtlethetaffer
I agree with this, there's no competition