***MEGATON*** EA just bought BioWare and Pandemic

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pungaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 pungaboy
Member since 2002 • 270 Posts

So I guess EA's games just got a lot better...

Linkage.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

News is trickling in that this is legit.

However, you need to get a link up. Fast.

-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
My heart needs a link to mend its brokenness.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Did you say legit? I mean this seems a little too out of the blue to be real.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Zounds!  As long as they get to operate autonomously I'm cool with it.
Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
*runs to the nearest bridge and waits for a confirmation link*
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shame-usBlackley

Yep. It's legit.

Wow, megaton indeed. Now prepare to have to buy all your ammo in Mercenaries via microtransaction.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

I sold my EA stock last month. Why? Why? Ever since then they have been bringing out better games and now this.

Yeah, link would be good.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

:shock:

I was going to post the LOL wut pear, but this is more of a "WTF?" moment.

Uncle_Tbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Uncle_Tbag
Member since 2006 • 2677 Posts

Elevation Partners, not EA.

Edit: hmm, seems that was an old story when ricatello had left, or was leaving EA. Strange.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

My only Reaction...

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

This is how the world ends.

Or not, lol. I just googled it, most media outlets have nothing yet on this info.

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts

I actually heard EA's president speak after BioWare and Pandemic merged, and he doesn't think as much of Pandemic as he does BioWare.

He absolutely salivated over BioWare.

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

I actually heard EA's president speak after BioWare and Pandemic merged, and he doesn't think as much of Pandemic as he does BioWare.

He absolutely salivated over BioWare.

appleater

wow all the bioware fans will riot

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts
I'm not going to overreact until I find out more, but I really don't think I like this too much, particularly because of Bioware. It doesn't sound like a situation like with Bizarre and Activision, as they were directly purchased. This was more of a backdoor purchase, as EA bought out majority shares in the independent company that Pandemic and Bioware were mutually a part of. I'm particularly curious as to how THEY feel about this ...
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Hmmm....it'll be interesting to see how it effects their projects.

If anything, it might be beneficial to Dragon Age on PC, since now the project will have a major publisher backing it and publishing it.

With the Mass Effect supposedly set to be a trilogy trilogy, EA will probably see to it that they publish any future installments instead of MS.

Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts

Wow. Definitely a bold move here...

Pandemic I could see easily, but Bioware? I think this just ramped up the quality of EA...

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shame-usBlackley
I blame Bono.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shame-usBlackley

Wow. Definitely a bold move here...

Pandemic I could see easily, but Bioware? I think this just ramped up the quality of EA...

Darth_Homer

Definitely. And it's cool that more people will get to play Bioware's games.

But I have a horrible feeling that EA is going to ruin both of these awesome studios.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Wow. Just wow.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts
i dont like this one bit :|
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
This just in: Dragon Age now to be an episodic action rpg! 17 Mass Effect expansion packs confirmed!
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
. . . and BioWare was never able to make a good game again.
teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOT BIOWARE

Kolomo

My thoughts exactly, followed by WHY OH WHYYYYYYY??? I really don't like these news

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Baldur's Gate III exclusively for the Wii.

;)

-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
. . . and BioWare was never able to make a good game again.Robio_basic

Honestly. I'm really trying my hardest not to jump to any conclusions, but the same thought is running through my head.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
Everyone calm down. EA arn't as bad as people make them out to be. Look at Burnout, Spore, Crysis, Battlefield, C&C and Ridge Racer. It is bad for Microsoft, they need to but up their 2nd party devs or more will go the way of Bizzare and Bioware
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Here's hoping that EA won't split those respective teams... :?

EA is now one more step towards the monopoly of gaming.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shame-usBlackley
There's only one solution to this dilemma: Some company needs to do a hostile buyout of EA. And then make Riccitello work in an non-air conditioned office in Guam working on renderware for mobile phone games.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Money talks. BioWare and Pandemic seems to support this move and feel positive about it.

Well, I did want Mass Effect for the PC, so this just means that it will probably come to the PC a little sooner because knowing EA they'll go multi-platform with everything.

This could mean more sales for BioWare games.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Robnyc22

. . . and BioWare was never able to make a good game again.Robio_basic

Yes...because HL2: Orange Box, Battlefield 2, Command & Conquer 3, and the Burnout series are just sooo horrible and games like Spore and Crysis haven't gotten any positive previews, right?...:roll:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOT BIOWARE

Kolomo

If I have to choose over a publisher buying out a highly acclaimed developer....I will gladly take EA over MS any day.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shame-usBlackley

Gamespot is reporting that EA spent 775 million in this acquisition. If true, then EA just got bent over.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Here's hoping that EA won't split those respective teams... :?

EA is now one more step towards the monopoly of gaming.foxhound_fox

Don't worry they're still #2, Nintendo still retains the #1 publisher in the world. :)

But I know what you mean I hate seeing big publishers get more and more devs leaving smaller publishers in the dust.

pungaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pungaboy
Member since 2002 • 270 Posts
And actually I think that most of EA's games have gotten better in the past year. Madden, NHL, FIFA and NBA Live are all big improvements over last years games... Who knows, maybe EA is getting it's act together. There are a lot of people in the gaming industry and in the business world that think the shakeup of EA's management has really pushed the company in a positive direction.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shinoto

Well, It sounds like the first MAss Effect will still be a 360 and PC...the problem is the trilogly issue. Will it contuine? Then again. the company MS seems the closest with is EA.

Also Shame...Funny enough...Some made the excat same joke on Neogaf just now lol

Anyways what I want to say, I think we need a bit more time before the overreacting lol. If you haven't notice. EA really seems to be improving a bit more. We have stuff like Crysis, Rock Band and Skate all finally comming out. Thier quality on Wii...really was quite impressive. For the first time in a while they seem to be making solid new IPs. Burnout and other goodies. Not to mention CnC 3 really being quite good. Im more in the wait and see pool. If they still let them work at thier own rate and everything...I don't think I will mind to much. Most people crying are bring up stuff like Westwood...Origin...That was last Decade. Yea EA still makes alot of **** but they seem like they are improving a bit now.

To be honest...What do you think this is putting to even more? An EA brand consule. Personally I think it is all lining up. EA has no hardware department really...about all they can do is games. And who now seems to be not caring to much about lost development support. MS...EA and MS consule? MS wouldn't have to be taking the hit they have now...and EA then can jump in out it and make even more profits.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rragnaar

Gamespot is reporting that EA spent 775 million in this acquisition. If true, then EA just got bent over.

Shame-usBlackley

I wonder how long it will be before they get hit with an antitrust lawsuit.  How much of the game industry do you have to own before everyone sits up and takes notice?  Don't get me wrong, EA is doing some good stuff lately, I just hate watching these corporate 'Jabba the Huts' running around and eating everything up.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Robnyc22

Well, It sounds like the first MAss Effect will still be a 360 and PC...the problem is the trilogly issue. Will it contuine? Then again. the company MS seems the closest with is EA.

Shinoto

Honestly, with EA publishing the Mass Effect trilogy the trilogy would probably remain 360 and PC anyway unless Sony can really pull up the marketshare of PS3, especially with the Wii being too underpowered to handle ME anyway.....at least now, the chances of Mass Effect coming to PC sooner, like possibly 6 months after release on console, are brighter....and I'm perfectly happy with that.

If anything, BioWare may actually start making games for Nintendo on DS or Wii......oh wait a second, BioWare was already making a DS game for Nintendo, and I'm perfectly happy with them making a game for the Wii if that happens since it'll probably be very different from their games on the other platforms yet still have that BioWare touch.

Like I said, I will gladly take EA holding the publishing rights of BioWare games over MS any day of the week.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rragnaar
My biggest issue here is that this could effect KOTOR and Star Wars Battlefront.  Bioware and Pandemic made those series what they are, and I don't want to see them fall by the wayside.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Why, Bioware, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna go cry in a corner now...
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#41 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Yep. It's legit.

Wow, megaton indeed. Now prepare to have to buy all your ammo in Mercenaries via microtransaction.

Shame-usBlackley

No kidding.

What now, Mass Effect on the PS3 with less quality than the 360 version?

EA now has sports, action, adventure, RPGs, what's next....stealth games?

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts

BioWare merged with Pandemic to avoid EA. The Borg wanted BioWare all along.

Things change. Who knows.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Yes...because HL2: Orange Box, Battlefield 2, Command & Conquer 3, and the Burnout series are just sooo horrible and games like Spore and Crysis haven't gotten any positive previews, right?...:roll:Robnyc22

HL2 ~ Made by Valve, published by EA.
BF2 ~ Made by DICE, published by EA.
Spore ~ Made by Maxis/Will Wright, published by EA
Crysis ~ Made by Cryetk, published by EA.

EA buying out DICE made them in complete control of the BF series. That gives them the right to do whatever they want with the series, no matter what the DICE members say.

If EA buys out a big developer, there is a possibility that their prerogative to release more games faster will affect the overall quality of games over time... and if majority of developers get controlled by one company such as EA, then a partial monopoly could then be had on the industry, thus leading to increased prices for lesser quality games.

EA was a great publisher/developer back when they were Electronic Arts... but they are now long past that point, there are a huge industry now, concerned with mostly one thing... profits, and doing anything to get them.

My biggest issue here is that this could effect KOTOR and Star Wars Battlefront. Bioware and Pandemic made those series what they are, and I don't want to see them fall by the wayside.rragnaar

BioWare didn't make KotOR II, Obsidian did. BioWare just developed the first game. And LucasArts is in control of the KotOR IP anyways, EA has no control over it. If there is anything to worry about, its LucasArts pushing whatever developer who works on KotOR III to get it out the door before its done again.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shame-usBlackley

Also Shame...Funny enough...Some made the excat same joke on Neogaf just now lol

Anyways what I want to say, I think we need a bit more time before the overreacting lol. If you haven't notice. EA really seems to be improving a bit more. We have stuff like Crysis, Rock Band and Skate all finally comming out. Thier quality on Wii...really was quite impressive. For the first time in a while they seem to be making solid new IPs. Burnout and other goodies. Not to mention CnC 3 really being quite good. Im more in the wait and see pool. If they still let them work at thier own rate and everything...I don't think I will mind to much. Most people crying are bring up stuff like Westwood...Origin...That was last Decade. Yea EA still makes alot of **** but they seem like they are improving a bit now.

To be honest...What do you think this is putting to even more? An EA brand consule. Personally I think it is all lining up. EA has no hardware department really...about all they can do is games. And who now seems to be not caring to much about lost development support. MS...EA and MS consule? MS wouldn't have to be taking the hit they have now...and EA then can jump in out it and make even more profits.

Shinoto

Hmmm, what is the name of this wise fellow? :)

But yeah, I have zero problem with more people getting to play Bioware's games. What I do have a problem with is what those games might turn into, especially now that we know what EA is paying for the two companies. Companies like EA don't spend 3/4 of a billion dollars for one or two games a generation. Bioware is going to feel EA's spurs digging into their sides relentlessly, and for that amount of money, they should.

And I reeaally can't fault Bioware/Pandemic for this. I mean, is there anyone of sound mind on this forum who would turn down 3/4 of a billion dollars?

This is a bittersweet announcement because it means more people will get to play these games, but due to the nature of the publisher, those games are probably going to get diluted from what they would've been. Still, you gotta give props to EA for knowing how to pick 'em - they have quite possibly the best names in western development under their umbrella. I just pray to God that they don't wreck them.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Robnyc22

My biggest issue here is that this could effect KOTOR and Star Wars Battlefront. Bioware and Pandemic made those series what they are, and I don't want to see them fall by the wayside.rragnaar

BioWare wasn't going to do another KOTOR regardless nor did they have any plans to do another KOTOR....they've been very clear about this.....BioWare has specifically said that going forward for their major projects they are more interested in developing their own franchises.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#46 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

At a time when one historically independent developer cuts its reins from Microsoft, another one becomes acquired by EA. Crazy times!

Now where were the rumors about this?

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shinoto

Like I said, I will gladly take EA holding the publishing rights of BioWare games over MS any day of the week.

Robnyc22

Im sorry, This I can not agree with. MS is probably one of the best companies to work for. If you look at 360 and Xbox...You can tell they really took time into helping developers with thier already hard job. Online Networking, Set up, etc...just the entire programming thing. It looks like they really took the time to see what developers wanted more then anything else.

Not to mention...Unlike Sony or Nintendo...They still seem to love thier games on PC. Just one or the other exculsive first. And yet unlike Activision or EA or try to rush out ports on all system. They seem to hold it back till it is good. Not to mention MS themselves have already been publishing games on GBA and DS for a bit now.

And most importantly...Talking to a company who has proper funding and doesn't seem to rush too much. Not have to get that annual release out with horrible buggy online.

I so would of rather have them with MS then EA. MS is a safe bet. Good funding, Not to big on rushing, Actually understands software support better then pretty much every other one, etc.

EA on the other hand...It seems more like if you remain profitable. You won't have your legs cut. But the minute you start to fade...Your in the blender.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shame-usBlackley

At a time when one historically independent developer cuts its reins from Microsoft, another one becomes acquired by EA. Crazy times!

Now where were the rumors about this?

m0zart

It didn't involve Microsoft directly thus there were no leaks. If it had, I'm sure it would've been leaked a week ago. :lol:

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
[QUOTE="Robnyc22"]

Shinoto

Not to mention...Unlike Sony or Nintendo...They still seem to love thier games on PC. Just one or the other exculsive first. And yet unlike Activision or EA or try to rush out ports on all system. They seem to hold it back till it is good. Not to mention MS themselves have already been publishing games on GBA and DS for a bit now.

OK so Nintendo and Sony are selfish and cruel for not releasing their games on Windows. With this same reasoning you should expect them to release their games on the XBox