Maybe time to find some new game reviewers???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jac494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 jac494
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

I have noticed that there is a significant amount of game reviews done by GameSpot staff that bag on titles a little too hard. A review is suppose to review the game and give it a fair rating. It seems that GS reviewers don't review games based on their title/genre but more so on their personal taste. There are far too many games that "WE SAY" is significantly lower than "YOU SAY" and technically because you are suppose to be reviewing games for your subscribers/viewers, maybe you should find someone a little more in tune with the audience. You could always higher some of your subscribers or viewers to do it. Just a thought.

Lt_Riggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lt_Riggs
Member since 2003 • 630 Posts
Thats why every game has a section for user reviews.... should read those. I tend to trust gamespot reviews way better than those though. People tend to be less educated on how games are made bash on what they dont understand. Or just cause they didnt like the game they bash on it. I usually agree with gamespot's reviews. Reviews should be harsh and games shouldnt slide along with even the ratings they do. Lackluster games get higher ratings than deserved
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
The reason I go to GameSpot is because they're so harsh on their reviews. Anything they give below a 7 is terrible. I've found that to be true. Sure they're harsh, but they're honest. I trust this site more than others.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

Maybe you could also factor in that the scores are a worse indication of how good the game is than the text reviews. In a score reviewers want to factor in all categories like sound and graphics, and make them noticable in the score, because otherwise people would argue gamespot is being far too nice on the game. In reality though, you may not mind about graphics and sound at all because of the great gameplay, so you have more fun with the game than the score indicates. Also, it's common that every shortcoming of a game should be penalized. For example shadowrun is penalized for not having SP, while I wouldn't even bother to play it.

You'd need a reviewer who can say "the graphics were not great, the sound is not great and there's not a great story in the game. However, you when playing the game you don't mind all that because of the fun you're having, so I'm still giving it AA".

AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts

You also seem to be forgetting that crazy fans have a tendency to spam the "you say" score with a lot of high 9s and 10s, because that's just what people do. It tends to make the median average for user scores skew higher than critical averages. It's the same situation on most game sites, on account of people are just kind of crazy.

If you want to get a better sense of how we go about reviewing games, check out this page.