Mass Effect 3. Underwhelming or..?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

I didn't think a game would rely so heavily on its prequels (ME 1 & 2).

I had fun during the first few firefights, after I attempted to learn the story through the dialogue.. but it is a bit much and there is no way to speed it up. (not necessarly to skip past it entirely).

I am about 5 hours in..

and finished a 10 minute(probably lasted less) and I am already walking around the ship talking to ppl, watching dialogue and semi-cutscenes.

The feel and atmosphere almost mademe fall asleep, and I feel as if I were pushing myself to play through this game like a chore,more than an actual game experience.

The skill trees are shallow. I also have no idea why they didnt make it so I could see my mapped powers on the HUD/UI. Instead, I see my squadmates' skills, which I didnt even map.

I don't think if I even played ME1 or ME2 that I would even play through this as if it werent a 'chore' to me.

But I cannot really confirm this, since I have never touched ME even.

if I play ME1 and 2, would I still enjoy ME3?
I know the basic story so far and I am still not hooked as much as everybody else is or was.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I think it's worth playing at least the 2nd game first. This is mainly because the main story isn't really that innovative or complex (it's really just a space opera), but it's more about the characters and their stories (which is what space operas often are good at developing). Going from ME2 to ME3 you'll have more of a connection with them, making parts of ME3 more impactful when you are connected to the characters (I think the 3rd game does have more dialouge than the 2nd, or at least it seemed that way). Though, it may just not be your game. It'll probably also be a bit better if you're really into sci-fi, at least that's what first had me hooked since I always wanted to interact in a sci-fi world rather than reading or watching from the outside.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

the game is a sum of hits and misses, i like the general story, cutscenes and scenarios are great, but it has some design flaws, the love stories are just painful to watch, playing galacticeavesdropper as "side missions", those together with the "explore the galaxy" were just useless chores put there to add gameplay time, plotholes, and ofc DAT ENDING. Still it was enjoyable but nothing special, with the lore and background they could have done SO MUCH more.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Playing ME3 without at least playing ME2 is kind of like reading the last 300 pages of a 1000 page book. The series was really meant to be played from the start.

With ME2 they do a lot to make it easier to ease in. The PS3 version gets you a comic to make all the decisions, and if you get another version and don't play 1 first or don't get a comic thingy, you still get SOME say in what happened before and ME2 is just an ok starting point. Playing ME3 without at least ME2 is not the best way to enjoy it, for maximum enjoyment you should really play them all in order if you can, since ME1 is fun but has so many issues that were later refined (and I guess its various issues is why ME2 was so changed and worked so well as a starting point).

So yeah, ME3 will be very underwhelming if you didn't get to see the accumulation of your decisions. Even the tiniest things from the first game get references, even events from the Galaxy game for mobile get referenced in ME2 if you played it. The series is really all about your decisions.

The ending you could argue doesn't use that to its full potential, but within the game you very much get that, with some choices helping you or biting you in the ass a whole 2 games later.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Don't believe what Bioware or anysort of marketing person tells you. Mass Effect 3 is NOT the game to start the Mass Effect franchise with. I personally think you should start with the 1st Mass Effect, but if that's not an option then Mass Effect 2 would be the other choice.

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

It's like watching Return of the King without first going through the first two LOTR films. Go get the first Mass Effect. Play it on easy and turn up the auto-aim so you can plow through the awful combat and get to the good bits.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I didn't think a game would rely so heavily on its prequels (ME 1 & 2).

Kocelot

i am going to kill myself.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Of course you should have played 1 & 2 first, this game is great for that you can play YOUR adventure and many seemingly so little and unimportant things can and WILL be taken into account later, decisions from 1 carry over to 2 and 3 takes over decisions from both you have taken.

What makes the series great it that 100 people who have played it will have played 100 different stories.

cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

Didn't even finished it.

jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

Loved the first game, really liked the second [finished them both.....and i very rarely finish games] but the 3rd one i got really board after like 1hour or so.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

The experience of playing the series from ME all the way through ME3 is a good one.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
playing ME3 without playing the other two games is just stupid...case closed
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kocelot

alright, thanks peeps. i assumed me3 was one of those games where theywould at least flashback or something. lol

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
The only problem I had with Mass Effect 3 (aside from the ending) was, the terrible quest management system and the limited number of squad mates. Definitely one of the better games this year despite it's minor problems. Why would you jump to the end of a series without playing the first two anyways?
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
the mass effect series suck
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kocelot
[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]The only problem I had with Mass Effect 3 (aside from the ending) was, the terrible quest management system and the limited number of squad mates. Definitely one of the better games this year despite it's minor problems. Why would you jump to the end of a series without playing the first two anyways?

I assumed it was one of those sequels where you could enjoy it without having played the older ones. For example, I beat MGS4 without ever playing MGS3 or beating 2, and still had a great time. Same with MaxPayne 3.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]The only problem I had with Mass Effect 3 (aside from the ending) was, the terrible quest management system and the limited number of squad mates. Definitely one of the better games this year despite it's minor problems. Why would you jump to the end of a series without playing the first two anyways? Kocelot
I assumed it was one of those sequels where you could enjoy it without having played the older ones. For example, I beat MGS4 without ever playing MGS3 or beating 2, and still had a great time. Same with MaxPayne 3.

Well in those cases you don't get to make important decisions which can literally change the whole game, plot or story over the course of several games in multiple ways.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22379 Posts
Yeah to get the most enjoyment out of ME3, you need to play all of them.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

perhaps playing the first two will make you more invested in the universe. even with that, it wont change how sloppy most of the missions are. its like bioware didnt tune any of the new mechanics or unique scenarios.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Mass Effect 3 is underwhelming no matter how you play it.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Its a very story oriented, character, dialogue driven series. Of course it relies on its prequels. You showed up to Return Of the Jedi without even seeing the 1st two. You need to go back at some point & play the series from beginning to end.

In my opinion the most powerful moments were in the original, so now the moments & things you were suppose to have experienced have no effect on you.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

The first time I played through it, the only complaint I had that it was short. But then I went back and played it again, this time squeezing every bit of content out of it and it was about ten times as long. The game ends all choices and storylines in the game. It's intention was not to develop them further but to bring them to a close.

scorpoinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 scorpoinz
Member since 2012 • 54 Posts

its now one of my favorite games.