Lost in Boletaria

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ezioprez9709
Member since 2012 • 742 Posts

Ok, recently I've been playing Demon's Souls. Despite being a few years old now, it still looks impressive. However, because this is my first ever Souls game, it's brutal in difficulty. So hard, in fact, that I have no idea where to go. I've killed Phalanx, the first boss of the game, but I'm stumped as to where I'm supposed to go next. I've done a bit of grinding in the Stone fang tunnels, but I stopped going there because I simply couldn't continue. Why? Well, I looked through the gap where the fog is, and saw a huge spider. Now, I've done some research about this game, and apparently the spider is one of the hardest bosses in the entire game. So to have a relatively easy area end with a hard as nails boss is confusing to say the least.

I tried venturing through the Shrine of Storms, but about five minutes in I was slain by a huge demon in two hits while being sniped by a dragon. I went to the Valley of Defilement but I kept falling off the edges of the platforms and I eventually got ganged up on by a group of rats, which drained my life bar at a rapid pace. After wandering through the Boletarian palace for the first time, I tried taking on the Tower Knight, but that ended quickly. All I want to know is, where do I go right now and what level is recommended for each fight? I'm currently level 19 and I'm struggling quite a bit. What is my next step?

Also, I'd just like to say that I am loving this game and I won't give up on it, no matter how difficult it becomes. I'm willing to soldier on.

EDIT: Many months have passed since I made this blog, and during that time I've killed Dirty Colossus, Flame lurker and Dragon god. I didn't summon in any of the fights, and I defeated them without dying all that often (died twice to Flame lurker, once to Dragon god and no deaths at all against Dirty Colossus). I'd like to thank anybody who responded to this blog, you've helped me a lot.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Hm, it really is tough as nails. Honestly - a lot of my victories were "cheap", obtained by figuring out a strategy the idiotic AI couldn't deal with. This is my main complaint with the sycophantism over the Souls games and how "brilliant the combat is". In general I've had a lot of luck with range attacks. Both against the Spider and the Knight and the Demon in the Shrine of Storms. I guess the advice I would give in general for the games is to try to be more flexible than the enemy. Find nooks they can't hit you in and/or weapons that enable you to engage them from metaphorical "higher ground"

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

You're right where you're supposed to be, if I remember correctly. Phalanx is the first boss you have to beat, then all of the rest can be beaten in any order, there is no "right" way to go through it. It's been a while since I've played the game, but I wouldn't recommend going to Valley of Defilement or Shrine of Storms yet. Those are best saved for when you're a higher level and have better equipment. When I play through the game, I generally go to the Tower of Latria after Phalanx, as the boss for that level isn't too hard at all, especially if you have a ranged weapon (I remember a crossbow being very useful for this fight). If you don't want to do that, you kind of have to suck it up and go for Tower Knight or the Armor Spider. I have no idea what the recommended level for each fight is, but in all souls games each boss is able to be beaten at any level as long as you study each boss carefully.

For the TK: First rule of business is to go up to the second level and deal with the archers. That'll save you a lot of trouble in the fight. Then, you could use several strategies for this depending on your build, but the one that works for the melee build I usually use is to stay near his ankles and hack them to death. I believe if you do this enough he falls down as well, in which case you should go for his head until he begins to stand back up. In my experience this is a "classic" souls boss fight in which the strategy for a giant character is generally to stay under them or as near their feet as possible, slashing and evading attacks as needed. You can certainly go about it a different way, but this is usually the safest.

For the Spider: Again, I'm not an expert at this game so I can't provide detailed advice (if you want that, look up the DS wikidot's or wikias, they're great), but if I remember correctly the key to the fight is to sprint to the spider, rolling through any webs/fire it shoots. Once you're in close range, it's easy enough to just block its attacks with your shield or roll through them once you get the timing down (you're invincible for a few frames while rolling). Wait for her to smash into the ground, and then attack as much as possible. After she does this, you're going to want to run back towards the entrance as fast as possible, as she shoots a giant fireball at you that most likely will either kill or badly hurt you if it connects; running back to the tunnel makes it much easier to dodge. Then just repeat the process until she's dead.

I'm not much help with strategies for other builds as I generally don't play with those characters, so if you've chosen a different build I wouldn't take my strategies as gospel. My best advice is to patiently watch each boss as you're fighting; learning attack patterns and when/where to roll through attacks is crucial for success in these games. Leveling up will certainly make you sturdier and hit harder, but I've always found it a better use of my time to simply learn each boss as well as I can than to grind out 20 levels. Hopefully this helps, pretty much any strategy you'll read for this game is easier said than done, but as long as you pay attention each time you fight a boss you'll manage to scrap and claw your way to the end.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ezioprez9709

@LZ71: Thank you for your suggestion. I believe the boss in the Tower of Latria is the Fools idol? Anyway, I'll focus on grinding more than anything else. Once I reach a decent level, I'll take on some of the other bosses, such as the Tower Knight and that damn spider. It is my first souls game after all, so I'll be patient. Loving it nonetheless.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

It's so long ago now that I can hardly remember anything. But the Tower Knight is not as tough as he looks. He's big but pretty slow and should be easy to beat once you get used to him.

Oh, and serioulsy consider getting a good bow. It will quickly become your best friend. Promised.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ezioprez9709

@nethernova: After playing few a few more hours, I've gotten much further than before.

I've killed Phalanx, Fool's Idol, Leech Monger, Tower Knight, Adjudicator, Vanguard and the Armor Spider. I'm pretty skilled with my bow too.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@nethernova said:

Oh, and serioulsy consider getting a good bow. It will quickly become your best friend. Promised.

agreed

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ezioprez9709

@xantufrog: It can be occasionally inaccurate but for the most part it's a decent enough weapon, especially with the fire arrows. Man, fire has really saved me from many tough situations in Demon's Souls.

I'd also like to thank you for your advice, not just from you but from everybody. I hate it when people suggest cheap tactics or glitches in order to progress, but your answers were perfectly legit. Once again, thanks.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Kill that spider with fire!!