Let's kick it old school.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

So your all-so-busy schedules free up, your wallet is a bit thicker and you have an opportunity to kick it retro.

What old console(s) and games or old school PC games would you get and why?

Don't go overboard being as this metro gaming phase might not last long.

I'd have to say I'd get an N64.

Some Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, Perfect Dark, Mario Tennis, Battle Tanx, and some Zelda and Star Fox. Would be a great time with friends and some to myself.

Also on a side note I'd love to play every Final Fantasy in order being as I only started at VII.

Most SNES, PS and PS2 I think.

What would you pick for your retro gaming trip?

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#2 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I kinda already have the old school games that I actually want to keep. I was never the type to jettison the old & busted just because the new hotness came to the shelves of my local retailer. I still have my old PONG console from the 70s. ;)

I guess if money were no object, I'd get a Street Fighter 2 arcade machine. God knows I spent enough time pumping quarters into them in the 90s. It'd be a nice piece of my younger days to look at, reflect upon my "misspent" youth (which I don't really feel was all that misspent), etc.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bowchicka07

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I kinda already have the old school games that I actually want to keep. I was never the type to jettison the old & busted just because the new hotness came to the shelves of my local retailer. I still have my old PONG console from the 70s. ;)

I guess if money were no object, I'd get a Street Fighter 2 arcade machine. God knows I spent enough time pumping quarters into them in the 90s. It'd be a nice piece of my younger days to look at, reflect upon my "misspent" youth (which I don't really feel was all that misspent), etc.

I was the same way but I've been cleaned out (robbed) a few times. It's hard to collect sometimes and it's even harder to recollect.

Arcade game, nice touch. I played more of Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Cruisin USA in the arcades.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@bowchicka07 said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I was the same way but I've been cleaned out (robbed) a few times. It's hard to collect sometimes and it's even harder to recollect.

Arcade game, nice touch. I played more of Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Cruisin USA in the arcades.

Sucks that you got robbed. I'm sorry to hear that.

I've been fortunate enough to not have anything like that happen to me or my family. Not sure if it has anything to do with living in Texas and making sure everyone knows I own a big ass gun or not, but I figure it couldn't hurt right? ;)

MK2 would be another good cabinet to own. I played that one like crazy when I was in college. There was a local pool bar that had a MK2 machine. I used to go there and play until they kicked us out after last call. Tequila Sunrises and Mortal Kombat. Ahhhh, memories.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I'd invest in a MAME arcade machine and load it with ever arcade game that ever existed, but that's just me

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bowchicka07

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I'd invest in a MAME arcade machine and load it with ever arcade game that ever existed, but that's just me

I'll accept that... just for pure creativity. You may have went a little overboard though.

What are your more preferred arcade games that are the must-haves for your gaming lounge.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00

@bowchicka07 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I'll accept that... just for pure creativity. You may have went a little overboard though.

What are your more preferred arcade games that are the must-haves for your gaming lounge.

Oh man. Let me think. If I had to pick 5 (since you sound like you want separate machines) I'd say Super Street Fighter 2, Final Fight, Sunset Riders, D&D Shadow over Mystara, The Simpsons Arcade Game

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I still love old games and have a few old consoles!

If you're going into it knowing your time is limited, I'd go with a Genesis. They're still cheap and so are the games, for the most part. The Nintendo stuff is getting really ridiculous with pricing, although the N64 seems to still be reasonable. I'm actually trying to minimize my collection so I can focus on just one or two retro consoles.

@Black_Knight_00: I'd love a mame cabinet! Good call on the Simpsons Arcade! Street Fighter is also a must. To that, I'd add Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, a stand-up Space Harrier or Out Run or After Burner, and Pac-Mania. Although I can think of so many more!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

@Grieverr said:
I'd love a mame cabinet! Good call on the Simpsons Arcade! Street Fighter is also a must. To that, I'd add Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, a stand-up Space Harrier or Out Run or After Burner, and Pac-Mania. Although I can think of so many more!

4000 games in one machine. Now that's some serious gaming

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@bowchicka07:

...king haters in the world. I'm very sorry to hear that you were robbed. I have had people steal from me multiple of thousands of dollars as well. I had who I thought was a friend of around 10 years break into my house and steal a little cash. He didn't get much but I was extremely upset. I learned along time ago not to hang with people who are less fortunate because they hate. I hope they didn't take too much of your stuff and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

If I had the money to burn I would get a NES and a good couple a hundred 8-bit games to go with. Great games like SMB3 and TMNT2: The Arcade Game, to less great ones like Ikari Warriors and T&C Surf designs. Then lots of stuff from the middle, Skate or Die, Metal Gear, Simons Quest, Legend of Zelda 2, Jackal, etc. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, and nothing gets me going in that area quite like NES gaming.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bowchicka07

@RimacBugatti said:

@bowchicka07:

...king haters in the world. I'm very sorry to hear that you were robbed. I have had people steal from me multiple of thousands of dollars as well. I had who I thought was a friend of around 10 years break into my house and steal a little cash. He didn't get much but I was extremely upset. I learned along time ago not to hang with people who are less fortunate because they hate. I hope they didn't take too much of your stuff and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Happened when was younger in my teens... and they took nearly everything.... pretty much all of my electronics... Game Boy and about 10 games.... Sega Genesis and a few games... N64 and about 20 games... PS1 probably 30 games and PS2 at least 20 games and an SNES with about 10 games as well.

I've gotten over it for the most part but I never bothered to try and collect any of it back,,, at the time i wasn't really collecting it either. I was just upgrading whenever something new came out and storing the old.

@Randolph Have you heard of an FC twin? They are worth the buy if you got the spare cash.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i would probably get a Gamecube or a Sega Genesis.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#14 IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

Some great responses above ^^ For me it would have to be a PS1 if that's retro enough?

Final Fantasy 7/8 and 9 would keep me busy for hours, Ratchet and Clank, Crash bandicoot, Rayman, Circuit breakers, Micro machines and the list goes on...

Years of fun to be had :D

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@bowchicka07: I would say get a Dreamcast if you can and maybe a Sega Saturn. I understand the frustration and not wanting to start over. I have lost everything a few times. When I was dating my girlfriend I lost everything including my place to live and car so I understand. I'm still trying to get a PS2, original Xbox, and PS1 but money has been an issue. I would also like to get a Sega Saturn but those are more difficult to find new.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

That I don't have? The dream scenario would be a Neo Geo MVS, but realistically I'd like to get a Turbografx 16/PC Engine since I've become kind of interested in its library as of late. Out of what I do own though, then it's the SEGA Genesis, of course. It easily has my favorite library of games.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

ps3 or ps2

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@bowchicka07 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Oh man. Let me think. If I had to pick 5 (since you sound like you want separate machines) I'd say Super Street Fighter 2, Final Fight, Sunset Riders, D&D Shadow over Mystara, The Simpsons Arcade Game

Finally somebody who knows Sunset Riders! Everybody I talk to looks at me with confusion when I bring up that game. Easily one of my top retro games, up there with Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Super Double Dragon.

Avatar image for LorenzoTheComic
LorenzoTheComic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LorenzoTheComic
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I ain't touchin' dat trident controller. Ha ha we guys wasting money on dem fossils man. Dreamcast is the only way you should play Sonic Adventure, not dat Double Dash version that's on every other video game system.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@contracts420 said:

Finally somebody who knows Sunset Riders! Everybody I talk to looks at me with confusion when I bring up that game. Easily one of my top retro games, up there with Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Super Double Dragon.

Yeah, not enough people know Sunset Riders, though it's huge in retrogaming communities. Cormano for life, how many bandidos do you know who can pull off a pink poncho, red pants and purple sombrero? ;)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Loading Video...

Let's do it.