Lack of talented and great devs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
Do you think there is a lack of great and talented non-Japanese Asian devs or non-American non-European devs? Do you think if there were a great number of them, the video game industry would be full of more originality with the history, culture, arts, and environments from Asia and other countries other than Japan, North America (including Canada) and Europe being used in video games?
IXIWhistIXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 IXIWhistIXI
Member since 2004 • 512 Posts

I'm assuming you're a fan of anime. Or anime based games (like most rpgs).

It's rare in those games you will find non japanese related themes.

However, when you look at the not anime styled games you will see there is plenty of good games that don't embrace japanese culture.

The thing is, all the game devs here who make a game have their stuff released here (well not all, but most). However, only the stuff thought to be successfull the North American market is sent to us from japan. These games are generally decent games because if it failed hardcore in japen's market due to quality(not gameplay, there is a huge difference in gameplay likes between us and them), it isn't bothered with.

So you're seeing a lot of crap because our game market isn't being filtered to us.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
youre kind of chopping off a large and diverse population by not including america, canada, japan, and all of europe. but to answer the question, there is a lack of developers that do not come from one of all those countries.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

So if you take away Asia, Europe, and America who exactly do you expect to make the games? Uzbekistan? Or how about Sierra Leone? No, I don't think so.

Yes there is a lack of video-game-development-talent coming from Third World countries, but perhaps this is for the best. :|

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

So if you take away Asia, Europe, and America who exactly do you expect to make the games? Uzbekistan? Or how about Sierra Leone? No, I don't think so.

Yes there is a lack of video-game-development-talent coming from Third World countries, but perhaps this is for the best. :|

GSU28

i'm not taking Asia away only Japan. Did you ever think that maybe there are great devs not from first world countries but are just working inside big western companies? My other thread in SW gave me many answers.

to the bolded statement, please no racism and discrimination.

tb254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tb254
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts
Ubisoft has a development office in China, that is currently working on Endwar. Other than that I don't know.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I think he was referring more to a person's nationality than to their race. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll eventually start to see some games out of other industrialized countries like india and australia.
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

India must have the technical resources and they do have the biggest movie studios out side of Hollywood (Bollywood). I could see games being developed there.

The problem is that games are not just technical. You need a person with a vision, artists that can make that vision in 3D, technical talent that can make those objects move & shine and then somebody needs to fund the whole project.

I could see games being offshored. I could see a country like India's gaming market growing big enough to warrant alot of locally developed content. I don't see any of this happening real fast though, because alot of what it takes is a vision or gaming culture and that can take a generation to build up.