Kotaku: Next Xbox always online. MS Creative Director defends it.

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

UPDATE:Orthy is the Creative Director at Microsoft Games Studios. 

OEY5yp8.jpg

here we go again. more kotaku sources confirming always online connection. Sim City all over again.

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

Durango is the codename for the next-gen Xbox.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started." Kotaku

No games.
No apps.
No way.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Microsoft's digging themselves into a hole if they go through with this. SimCity was a perfect example why always-on is not a good idea.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I was wondering if I should post this but you saved me the sweat. I must say I'm curious as to what "after three minutes the game is suspended" means. Will the game be paused until connection is resumed or will it quit to dashboard? The latter would be horrible: imagine losing a few hours-worth of progress in Dark Souls 2 on the hardest difficulty just because the xbox only works if connected to the internet.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Fear not guys, Nolan Bushnell and Michael Patcher smell a winner!

Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts
If this is true, there's no way I'm buying a 720
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
This is neat because now it sounds like I can save money by only getting the PS4 next gen.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

:lol:.:lol:

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
Sadly, a vast majority of people won't be bothered by this and will support the XBox anyway. The reality is, Microsoft can charge $50 a year for a Gold account just to play games online, require an always-on connection to even use the next console, and probably even block used games and there will still be a large enough percentage of consumers who'll continue to buy and support the XBox that it will still be profitable. Because, in the US anyway, the 360 has helped Microsoft worm its way into nearly every household, whether for gaming or Netflix or social networking. No matter what Microsoft does, everyone will eventually have the next XBox in their homes too. And going back to the whole Gold account nonsense, to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Microsoft made paying for the service mandatory rather than optional. I mean, if they really do insist on an always-on connection to do anything with the console, then it seems like they could probably get away with making people pay for the service; that's what the next XBox will be: not so much a console but a service. People in the industry have already been speculating that Microsoft might try to go the cell phone route with their next system, where you get the console for cheap but are required to sign a 2- or 3-year contract for service. No reason they couldn't just go whole hog on that idea where the XBox is the equivalent of a cable box: a useless block of plastic and electronic components unless you're paying for the service that brings it to life.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Sadly, a vast majority of people won't be bothered by this and will support the XBox anyway. The reality is, Microsoft can charge $50 a year for a Gold account just to play games online, require an always-on connection to even use the next console, and probably even block used games and there will still be a large enough percentage of consumers who'll continue to buy and support the XBox that it will still be profitable. Because, in the US anyway, the 360 has helped Microsoft worm its way into nearly every household, whether for gaming or Netflix or social networking. No matter what Microsoft does, everyone will eventually have the next XBox in their homes too. And going back to the whole Gold account nonsense, to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Microsoft made paying for the service mandatory rather than optional. I mean, if they really do insist on an always-on connection to do anything with the console, then it seems like they could probably get away with making people pay for the service; that's what the next XBox will be: not so much a console but a service. People in the industry have already been speculating that Microsoft might try to go the cell phone route with their next system, where you get the console for cheap but are required to sign a 2- or 3-year contract for service. No reason they couldn't just go whole hog on that idea where the XBox is the equivalent of a cable box: a useless block of plastic and electronic components unless you're paying for the service that brings it to life.thedarklinglord

50 dollars a year is a pittance for a service I prefer over the competition.

There's nothing "sad" about it; I think the service is worth the paltry price and I'm not alone.

And while I hate the notion of being forced to have continuous online connectivity to play games, ultimately any compromises I make as a consumer will be mitigated by the quality of software facilitated by this newest console. If said software does not come to fruition then I'll happily abandon MS and stick exclusively to Sony.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Oh wow, this is going to backfire Microsoft brutally.

Reminds me of the failure that Sim City went through.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6858 Posts

Makes sense. Another reason not to go with MS next go-round.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Microsoft just keeps making my next gen console decision easier. Between the PC and PS4 next generation, I'm seeing little reason to own an Xbox, especially after this always online BS. 

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
its their gamble. one that i hope bites them in the butt, if true.
codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts
I'm def. only getting the PS4 then. think of how annoying that can be? Or if someone doesn't have high speed, and can't connect to online.
Ghost_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Ghost_Face
Member since 2002 • 7676 Posts

I cannot wait until the official reveal. I'm so sick and tired of these rumours. The amount of people on Live is roughly 50% of current Xbox owners. I wonder if that includes the Silver users also. If so, Microsoft would severely limit the amount of potential users of their next console. It sounds too ridiculous to even contemplate.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#17 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

The more I've thought about it, the less likely it is that I would buy the next Xbox anyway.  I've been drifting away from the platform for the past few years, never paid for LIVE as I don't game online, and none of the annual exclusives appeal to me.  Some of the indie exclusives have come to PC anyway.

So with all these rumours flying around about required kinect and always online, it just makes my decision not to buy one a lot easier.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

Please let this and no used games be true so I can save $400 next generation.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
They have one foot in the grave if they pull this stunt next gen. But this rumor has surfaced from so many sources it's hard not to give it at least a little credibility.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Yeah yeah we get it. The next Xbox is horrible. Worst gaming device ever concieved. Blocks used games, forces you to play kinect, have a super amazing internet connection and while you sleep it transforms into a robot and rapes you.

Seriously, the amount of negative press the system is getting when nobody knows a damn thing is pathetic. People have made it perfectly clear that they want the next xbox to fail. Maybe it's a Microsoft hate thing. Maybe people just want to see the current market leader fall because they're currently on top. Whatever the reasons, it's clear people want the next xbox to fail and just love latching on to whatever negative rumour that has very little basis. I'm more of a PlayStation fan, but even I can see that. Just wait for the official unveiling. If when we really know what's going on and the system does all the wrong things, hate on it then. Also I'd just like to point out that there's no way in hell that Microsoft would make is so that every single game and app requires an internet connection to start. That's the most laughable rumour I've ever heard.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#21 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Yeah yeah we get it. The next Xbox is horrible. Worst gaming device ever concieved. Blocks used games, forces you to play kinect, have a super amazing internet connection and while you sleep it transforms into a robot and rapes you.

Seriously, the amount of negative press the system is getting when nobody knows a damn thing is pathetic. People have made it perfectly clear that they want the next xbox to fail. Maybe it's a Microsoft hate thing. Maybe people just want to see the current market leader fall because they're currently on top. Whatever the reasons, it's clear people want the next xbox to fail and just love latching on to whatever negative rumour that has very little basis. I'm more of a PlayStation fan, but even I can see that. Just wait for the official unveiling. If when we really know what's going on and the system does all the wrong things, hate on it then. Also I'd just like to point out that there's no way in hell that Microsoft would make is so that every single game and app requires an internet connection to start. That's the most laughable rumour I've ever heard.

burgeg

This IS Kotaku we're talking about as well. The same guys who sent Squeenix fans into a frenzy by saying that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was cancelled, forcing the president of SE to come out and say "LOL nope" over twitter. :lol:

Also, "unnamed sources" again.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

burgeg

If you're looking for measured responses, maybe a forum for gaming enthusiasts is not the best place to go.

I agree on the wait and see, but I'd have to side with just about everyone else that a move like this is a deal-breaker for me, unless I can get some kinda of assurance that when the 720 goes offline, they'll offer some kind of patch to remove this feature. Like going back to read and old book, i'd like to be able to go back and play my old games years down the road rather than all that software and the money I spent just going down the drain. It'd still be a nuisance, though.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

What the f*ck are they thinking? Oh that's right, they're not. I can't believe that all those rumors are true. How can Microsoft just leave out all the people without internet? This is going to blow up in their faces and bomb the whole Xbox brand.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 c_rakestraw  Moderator

burgeg

These rumors have been around for a while with no reassurance that they're merely rumors. We know Microsoft is going to unveil their next console this year. With Sony having already done the same, waiting another year does them no favors. They could easily come out and say that these rumors are false. I want to believe they aren't true because it would be a moronic move on their part.

I assume they're keeping everything under wraps for a reason, but the fact that this rumor keep springing up every couple weeks is not giving people confidence. If the Nextbox can in fact be played without an Internet connection, then they need to stomp that rumor out as soon as the console is unveiled. Waiting is only going to keep the anxiety and suspicion alive.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

^Which is why it's better to just think of all of this stuff as nothing but rumors and wait until Microsoft reveals the truth with the new system. Either it's going be a really good system or a really bad system. That's up to MS to decide and once they roll out all the details, we'll know the truth then.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#26 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I smell a Ps4 victory next gen (excluding pc)

I even forsee Wii-U beating 720 if that is true. (Lets face it, next zelda and 3d mario are going to be system sellers)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Getting tired of hearing this. E3 needs to hurry up and get here so MS can deny or confirm this stupid rumor.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vari3ty

burgeg

It's coming from the sources that were almost spot-on with the PS4. It's not like they're pulling these statements completely out of thin air. 

Edit: Microsoft is already in damage control mode. 

jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

jbmJQEeF9tOY7R.png

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JustPlainLucas
Who is Orthy? Someone with MS? "DEAL WITH IT" If that's their attitude, I'll deal with it, by dealing with Sony and Nintendo exclusively.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vari3ty

Who is Orthy? Someone with MS? "DEAL WITH IT" If that's their attitude, I'll deal with it, by dealing with Sony and Nintendo exclusively. JustPlainLucas

He's Adam Orth, the Creative Director at Microsoft Studios. 

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Edit: Microsoft is already in damage control mode. Vari3ty

Those are some poor arguments. At least you can still play around with phones without having to stay connected to the network. Can't do that with a machine which requires constant Internet connection. It becomes an expensive paperweight without it.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]Edit: Microsoft is already in damage control mode. c_rake

Those are some poor arguments. At least you can still play around with phones without having to stay connected to the network. Can't do that with a machine which requires constant Internet connection. It becomes an expensive paperweight without it.

Indeed. I can count the number of times the electricity has gone out in my house on one hand. My internet has problems far more frequently. 

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JustPlainLucas

He's Adam Orth, the Creative Director at Microsoft Studios. 

Vari3ty
Someone should fire him then.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vari3ty

Some of his earlier tweets.

OEY5yp8.jpg

I think he snapped. 

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JustPlainLucas
Ok, well... looks like Orthy just caused MS to lose a sale. Fvck this guy.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vari3ty

I just can't believe Microsoft would be so stupid as to go through with this. Between a PS4 allowing offline play and the next Xbox requiring a constant internet connection, the decision is a no-brainer.  

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I still don't see 100% confirmation here, just some tard twitter trolling. I think I will still hold out hope.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 S0lidSnake

Someone update the thread. That twitter is 100% confirmation, THIS IS REAL.  UNBELIEVABLE. 

No Xbox for me.

dvader654

It's not 100% real. Just one guy's personal opinion.

I will update the thread title though.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 S0lidSnake

I just can't believe Microsoft would be so stupid as to go through with this. Between a PS4 allowing offline play and the next Xbox requiring a constant internet connection, the decision is a no-brainer.  

Vari3ty

Why did EA make their biggest PC game online only?

Dont ever underestimate the power of $$$$. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I still don't see 100% confirmation here, just some tard twitter trolling. I think I will still hold out hope.dvader654

Why would the creative head for MS studios defend something that isn't real? 

He's likely under heavy NDA. He cant defend it at the moment even if he wanted to. This is just one guy shouting his opinion on twitter. millions of people do that every year.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shame-usBlackley

Microsoft is suuuuuuure beginning to sound a LOT like Sony did around 2005. And the bltch of it is, Microsoft has no reason to be arrogant -- none at all. They haven't earned it; if they consider this generation a win, then they have REALLY low expectations. 

Regardless, where there's smoke there's fire. A BUNCH of people have been saying this about the next Xbox, and now a creative director starts acting a fool and getting all butt-hurt and defensive. Folks, if it ain't real, it's the worst PR shltstorm out of nothing I've ever seen. Microsoft needs to come out and clarify this shlt NAO.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shame-usBlackley

So in like 10-15 years no 720s will work ever again. What happens when the servers are shut down? No finding your old console and playing it. dvader654

That's if they still work. What gives you any inclination a 720 will last the generation, let alone two generations based on the 360's reliability?

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

How can anyone defend something like that?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I think he snapped. 

Vari3ty

Man. What a bastard.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

I think he snapped. 

c_rake

Man. What a bastard.

Yeah, no better way to get potential buyers of your next product hyped up than by insulting and mocking them. Whether it's true or not really isn't relevant when it comes to this guy, he's defending a practice a large number of people are against. If it isn't true, he's a fvckstick for getting everyone's rhoids flared up. If it is, well, he's still a fvckstick, but one who's just doing his job, albeit poorly

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Yeah, no better way to get potential buyers of your next product hyped up than by insulting and mocking them. Whether it's true or not really isn't relevant when it comes to this guy, he's defending a practice a large number of people are against. If it isn't true, he's a fvckstick for getting everyone's rhoids flared up. If it is, well, he's still a fvckstick, but one who's just doing his job, albeit poorly. Shame-usBlackley

That guy's making me a lot less inclined to support Microsoft in any way. It's one thing to argue in favor of something; it's another to be a total bastard about it.

I'm honestly surprised someone would even consider defending always-on devices in this day and age. The infrastructure just isn't there, neither on the server end or the ISP end. Any one thinking its viable needs to get their head out of their ass and face the facts.