Killing off Popular Franchises

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ALLoY1717
Member since 2003 • 6753 Posts

With every hyped new FPS being touted as a Halo killer and every new MMo being described as a WoW killer I have to ask. Can you name 1 popular franchise that was killed off as a direct result of the release of a newer, better game? In other words has there ever really been a franchise killer?

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Everquest I suppose. Killed by WoW. I don't know, I'm sure it still has a loyal fan base.

jaredcsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jaredcsimpson
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

I hope a game comes along soon that kills of Guitar hero and Rock band type games.

I pray forGuitar hero: Flock of seagulls

andy_lyall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 andy_lyall
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
Most franchises seem to make good practice of killing themselves after a point. Tomb Raider I think is the best example of that even though the last few have been pretty good it was nearly all over for Ms. Croft. It's a very good question though. I can't think of a single time when a game has been so comprehensively better that it's single handedly slayed the previous genre best.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#5 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
I think the only thing that could make players jump ship is a better version of the same game. A game of the same genre made by a different company is just going to have to many differences to make EVERYONE jump ship. Halo vs Gears, GTA vs Saint's Row. Same genre but they all have unique looks and stories, and even mechanics. You would have to have a the same look, story and majorly improved mechanics to get people to totally abandon a game which you can only do with sequels.

Your only chance of killing something is taking it on right when a new franchise starts up before it has any established players. If two games came out at the same time then it would be more about mechanics and popularity, That why publishers stagger their release dates and stuff of big titles. Like FF and DQ.
irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 irish4eva
Member since 2008 • 570 Posts
Medal of honour
Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts
Rhythm games are slowly killing themselves at this point.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Yeah, i mean, it usually takes a good, long time for a game to go from being real popular to not existing. Even if something better comes around, everybody might not jump on board right away for whatever reason.

Personally, at least, I don't care about Gran Turismo anymore after Forza came out. Of course, each series is only on one of the consoles, so there isn't even much overlap in the potential audience. I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of them.

roadwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 roadwish
Member since 2005 • 425 Posts

I haven't heard about any killer games recently.HALO killer ?? never heard care to give me some names what are titled that way.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#10 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
Hey thats a better question!!! This should be a new post. What are your personal franchise killers. For you personally what game series replaced what??

NFS:Underground+ killed Gran Tourismo games for me. Saint's Row killed GTA. Hmmm... Can't think of alot of others.
NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
When people use the term "killer" in this context, they are usually saying that the quality of the new game is so vastly superior that it renders the previous game obsolete. Rarely does one franchise actually diminish the sales of another significantly. The only example I can think of is Rock Band killing Guitar Hero III. Of course, all Activision had to do to regain market support was copy Rock Band in the next game.
ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ALLoY1717
I may have thought of one but in the terms that _AbBaNdOn mentioned. Rock Revolution: If this game was released before GH and RB it may have actually picked up a fan base, but because nothing it did came close to the competition it faded away day one.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Half-Life killed Duke Nukem Forever.

-SPECTER-MIKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 -SPECTER-MIKE
Member since 2008 • 576 Posts
Medal of honourirish4eva
I would have to agree with this one. For a time all I knew was MOH, and it was the most popular, and now it cant even compare to COD,
ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ALLoY1717
[QUOTE="irish4eva"]Medal of honour-SPECTER-MIKE
I would have to agree with this one. For a time all I knew was MOH, and it was the most popular, and now it cant even compare to COD,

You may be right with this one there hasn't been a good MoH game since Frontlines on the PS2. Call of Duty just raised the bar too high.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="-SPECTER-MIKE"][QUOTE="irish4eva"]Medal of honourALLoY1717

You may be right with this one there hasn't been a good MoH game since Frontlines on the PS2. Call of Duty just raised the bar too high.

It should be noted that the best Medal of Honor game, Allied Assault, was made by Infinity Ward.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ALLoY1717

[QUOTE="ALLoY1717"][QUOTE="-SPECTER-MIKE"] I would have to agree with this one. For a time all I knew was MOH, and it was the most popular, and now it cant even compare to COD,AtomicTangerine

It should be noted that the best Medal of Honor game, Allied Assault, was made by Infinity Ward.

While that is knida true, you have to add the following information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015,_Inc.
PlayBox39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PlayBox39
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

Mortal Kombat killed itself. It was a popular franchise, then other Mortal Kombat games killed it by being awful. Hows that for an answer?

Jamez3y

I acutally think that the Later day MK games were good.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ALLoY1717

[QUOTE="PlayBox39"]

[QUOTE="Jamez3y"]

Mortal Kombat killed itself. It was a popular franchise, then other Mortal Kombat games killed it by being awful. Hows that for an answer?

Jamez3y

I acutally think that the Later day MK games were good.

Yeah I like them too, but the fan base is so much smaller now after their release because not many would agree with us. The online community is still booming and all, but it used to be so much bigger. I even had an MK lunchbox when I was 5 because it was so big.

I think what put a lot of people off MK was the direction they took the newer games in. Going 3D with the more modes doesn't automatically make the game better. MK lost some of isn't silliness with the transition to the last and current generation of consoles and that is what kept it grounded from becoming a mindless gore fest of a fighter (frendships and babalities abyone?). The other contributing factor is probably the internet, MK games as a kid were filled with rediculous rumours about stuff that you could do and hidden secrets that grabbed peoples attention that most of the time were completely made up but they made it more interesting.Also ifyou knew how to do some of the fatalities you were "the man", now we just look them up on the internet. MK now is what happened is a magician show you how all the tricks are done, even though it is still the same performance the magic behind it has gone.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Well, Call of Duty was very much a Medal of Honor killer, as it became the new premier franchise for WW2 shooters.
ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ALLoY1717
Well, Call of Duty was very much a Medal of Honor killer, as it became the new premier franchise for WW2 shooters.UT_Wrestler
Yes true. It took a while for the affect to set in but I do believe this is the biggest example of a franchise killer. But it didn't help that MoH wasn't moved out of the WW2 setting like CoD was. Seriously that well is dry and all you can do is scrape the bottom now.
Staszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Staszy
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts
Medal of honourirish4eva
true :/