Katamari Damacy 3 an Xbox 360 exclusive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 SkylinePigeon
Member since 2005 • 2625 Posts

That's what Newsweek videogames blogger N'Gai Croal is saying.

There's no concrete proof of this yet, but I think it's very interesting. It's good to see that the 360 is getting the quirky games that set the PS2 apart from the other systems.Hopefully Katamari 3 will pave the way for other original titles to make their way to Microsoft's console. However, it's also one more game the PS3 has lost. The number of exclusives on that system is dwindling every day, and that will play a huge factor in whether or not people buy the it. Katamari 3 certainly won't sell many Xboxes, but it's certainly a good thing for the system.

Thoughts?

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

I don't know. There's only so many things you can do with a game like that. Doesn't make sense to me to make a series out of it. There was little different/new in we love katamari. Wish they'd come up with something new instead.

Good game though, like you say. Good for any system

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Good catch on the part of MS. Every quality game is a system seller, not merely million(s) sellers like GTA.

I was reading about Beautiful Katamari in PSM. The original lead designer (Keita Takahashi)has moved onto real life playground design, but his design team is soldiering on in his absence. That is a bit worrying, but Jaffe's absence certainly didn't hurt GoW2. It should be kept in mind that the current design team made Me and My Katamari on the PSP, which most reviewers liked (I'm a fan of thefirst two games but Iskipped it since it didn't sound like it did anything radical) so its a safe bet that Beautiful will be well done, though it might not break much new ground (if it does, I'm there, if not, I might be there anyway depending on its pricing and how many levels it has).

EDIT: This time around MS certainly seems to enjoy good relations with many Japanese 3rd parties.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

That would really surprise me, moreso than just about any other gaming series. Katamari Damacy seemed like it was on the verge of going multi-platform. It's a simple to design game that could work with a variety of controller schematics. Just seemed natural to go multi-platform.

I'll miss not playing it since I don't see a 360 in my future for the next couple years, but unless there's some radical new addition I don't think I'll be too bummed out. We Love Katamari was fun, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the original, and the PSP version was less enjoyable than that. Not to say they were bad, but as the idea loses its originality it loses some of the fun as well.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

That would mean that the 360 is now up to 48 Unreleased Console Exlusives, and looking at the release list, there will be no more talk about the 360 having an unvaried gaming lineup. LINK (Including Other Console Exclusives Lists)

Unreleased (47)
Proven Franchises (12 [26%])
TitlePublisherRelease DateAce Combat 6Namco Bandai2007Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures*TBA2008Alan Wake*Microsoft2008All Points Bulletin*Webzen2008America's Army: True Soldiers *NEW*Ubisoft9/2007Banjo-Kazooie 3Microsoft2007BioShock*2K Games8/2007Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of World War IIUbisoft8/2007Blue DragonMicrosoft8/2007Castle Wolfenstein*Activision2008Cry OnTBATBACuldcept SagaNamco Bandai10/2007Dead or Alive Code: CronusTecmoTBADungeon Hero* *NEW*Gamecock2009Elveon*TBA2007Eternal SonataNamco Bandai2007Fable 2Microsoft2008Far East of Eden ZiriaTBATBAFlatOut: Ultimate CarnageTBA2007GTR*TBATBAHalo 3Microsoft9/2007Halo WarsMicrosoft2008Hour of VictoryMidway6/2007Huxley*WebzenTBAInfinite UndiscoveryTBATBAKengo: Legend of the 9 *NEW*MajescoQ4 2007Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of DoomMicrosoft2007Left 4 Dead*Valve11/2007Lost OdysseyMicrosoft2008Marvel Universe Online*MicrosoftTBAMass EffectMicrosoftTBAMobile Ops: The One Year WarNamco Bandai2007MotoGP 07*THQ8/2007Naruto: Rise of a NinjaUbisoft2007Overlord*Codemasters6/2007Postal III*TBA2008Project Gotham Racing 4Microsoft2008Project ProgressiveTecmoTBAProject Sylpheed: Arc of DeceptionMicrosoft7/2007Sacred 2: Fallen Angel*TBATBAThe Secret World*TBATBATheseis* *NEW*TBA2007Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: ConvictionUbisoftQ4 2007Too HumanMicrosoft2007Two Worlds*Southpeak7/2007Universe At War: Earth Assault*Sega2008Vampire RainMicros

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
i hope it's not exclusive, cause imo the Sixaxis would be perfect for Katamary
Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts

For the love of god, I hope it's not true.

I don't care about it being BOTH on 360 and PS3, I just don't want to have to get a 360 for Katamari...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart

Hopefully this willencourage Sony to bring Loco Roco to the PS3 (a tilt sensor was originally going to be included with the PSP version and the Sixaxis has a tilt sensor, it would be a perfect fit).

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts
I doubt it. The 360 does terribly in Japan, and this is the kind of game that appeals to that audience. It makes no sense to make it a 360 exclusive from a business standpoint, and that's the only standpoint that matters.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

That would be quite the snag. Not exactly a huge system seller but a bright feather for the 360's cap if true. I still think we'll be seeing lots of timed exclusives this gen, and something like Katamari 3 would probably fall under that catagory unless a good chunk of money was exchanging hands in the deal.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Beautiful Katamari coming to the 360 as a multiplatform title was more than enough for me.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

I doubt it. The 360 does terribly in Japan, and this is the kind of game that appeals to that audience. It makes no sense to make it a 360 exclusive from a business standpoint, and that's the only standpoint that matters.fathoms_basic

True! If it will be exclusive for anything, it will be the Wii.

mightyboosh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 mightyboosh13
Member since 2006 • 705 Posts

That's what Newsweek videogames blogger N'Gai Croal is saying.

There's no concrete proof of this yet, but I think it's very interesting. It's good to see that the 360 is getting the quirky games that set the PS2 apart from the other systems.Hopefully Katamari 3 will pave the way for other original titles to make their way to Microsoft's console. However, it's also one more game the PS3 has lost. The number of exclusives on that system is dwindling every day, and that will play a huge factor in whether or not people buy the it. Katamari 3 certainly won't sell many Xboxes, but it's certainly a good thing for the system.

Thoughts?

SkylinePigeon

Won't sell Xboxes to the masses. But rightly you point out the differnces between xbox and ps2 are changing this gen. 360 is acting more and more like a Ps2's little brother.

Glad to see this arriving on my 360. This Xmas was all about PS3 for me but maybe changing my mind and saving some bucks way things are going atm.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnageHeart

I doubt it. The 360 does terribly in Japan, and this is the kind of game that appeals to that audience. It makes no sense to make it a 360 exclusive from a business standpoint, and that's the only standpoint that matters.fathoms_basic

I doubt KD sells that well anywhere (and I wouldn't be surprised if its sales pattern was one of decline), so if MS is offering a check big enough to compensate for forgone Japanese sales, why wouldn't Namco take the deal?

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I seriously doubt that. If it comes out on 360 in Japan, it will come out on PS3 as well. This is Namco we're talking about. The western markets are a different kettle of fish, though.

Edit: I don't think that MS would pay for KD.