Just started playing Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ckitchin
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts
...and all I can say is---WOW!! I have no idea what took me so long. I remember buying Vagrant Story the day it came out. I've had Chrono Trigger for almost 10 years as well. I instantly liked Chrono Trigger. Vagrant Story took a little longer to win me over. It took a little while to get used to the chain attacks and the weapon building aspects...but once I did, wow, what a great game!
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Did you know that Something Awful gave Vagrant Story a -30?

QWERTYCommander

Well Something Awful sucks Vagrant Story is a great game.

maxx1458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 maxx1458
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts

Vagrant Story is a great game. I agree it took me a little while to get into it, but once I did I really enjoyed it.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 anbu-black-ops
Member since 2008 • 2380 Posts
i like the characters the most in vagrant story. even the bad guys are cool. especially sydney. also the designs where great from costumes to architectures to enemy designs. thats why i fell in love with this game and i rank it one of the best (for me). its a nice dungeon crawler rpg game. i just wish they made a sequel for this game.
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

You bought Vagrant Story since launch and only played it now? >_> Dude, you missed out.

ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ckitchin

You bought Vagrant Story since launch and only played it now? >_> Dude, you missed out.

Zerocrossings

Yeah, unfortunately, I've done this with a lot of games. To name just a few: Final Fantasy IX, X, X-2, all the Xenosaga games, Chrono Cross, Zelda: The Windwaker. I could go on...but it's really pathetic.

Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

I've always sung the praises of Vagrant Story, it's a sublime game. deep, dark and thoughtful with one of my favorite battle systems in any JRPG. fabulous game. enjoy!

ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ckitchin

I played Vagrant Story last night and got my rear end handed to me by a dragon. I shall try again tonight!

Ebreezy1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ebreezy1189
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I've never played either of those. Since digging out my ps2 I might have to go pick them up though. Whats the main idea behind the stories? Also are they anything like xenosaga as some one mentioned above? I own xs1 and 2 and don't care for either of them.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I tried playing Vagrant story but couldn't quit get into it at the beginning. Maybe I should give it another try.

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
Coming to the EU and NA Playstation Stores this year as well, I've already made certain to buy this the moment it goes up, I never played it, and the word of mouth on the game was that it was flat out incredible, and gives Xenogears a run for it's money as the best RPG SE put out on the PSone.
ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ckitchin

Coming to the EU and NA Playstation Stores this year as well, I've already made certain to buy this the moment it goes up, I never played it, and the word of mouth on the game was that it was flat out incredible, and gives Xenogears a run for it's money as the best RPG SE put out on the PSone.thunderf00t

I'm really enjoying it so far---but I'm not sure I like it as much as Xenogears. That was one of my favorite games of all time. Vagrant Story really started picking up when I got the hang of the combat system. I still don't quite know what I'm doing in the weapons workshops though.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anbu-black-ops
I've never played either of those. Since digging out my ps2 I might have to go pick them up though. Whats the main idea behind the stories? Also are they anything like xenosaga as some one mentioned above? I own xs1 and 2 and don't care for either of them. Ebreezy1189
its been awhile but from what i remember, the main story is about this agent sent to infiltrate this old mysterious ruin (filled with unexplained phenomenon) to find (assasinate) the cult leader, and save the kid that was kidnap. but theres more to it than what it seems... the story has some nice plot twist that will surprise you as you progress. its really well made and leaves alot of possibilities for a sequel which i am still waiting~ the game gets good once you are comfortable with the gameplay and battle mechanics. its a nice dungeon crawler real time rpg with a cool graphics (during its time). the atmosphere is really good to.
Ebreezy1189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ebreezy1189

So which is better VS or CT?

ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ckitchin

Ebreezy1189

Personally, I'm enjoying Chrono Trigger more. That's not to say Vagrant Story isn't a great game. I just find myself getting more frustrated with it. Theboss called Wyvern really gave me a hard time. So frustrating. I'm happy with both games though.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 anbu-black-ops

Ebreezy1189
theyre both good games. but ct is alittle bit better cause it got multiple endings and the so called dream team was involve. it was a really good game. buuut vagrant story is still good. it even got a perfect score in famitsu~
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
I've never played either of those. Since digging out my ps2 I might have to go pick them up though. Whats the main idea behind the stories? Also are they anything like xenosaga as some one mentioned above? I own xs1 and 2 and don't care for either of them. Ebreezy1189
Chrono Trigger is on the Super Nintendo
chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 chadwick1343
Member since 2009 • 944 Posts
Man Vagrant Story was a great game. If any game deserves a sequel thats it.
ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ckitchin

[QUOTE="Ebreezy1189"]I've never played either of those. Since digging out my ps2 I might have to go pick them up though. Whats the main idea behind the stories? Also are they anything like xenosaga as some one mentioned above? I own xs1 and 2 and don't care for either of them. BattleTurtles

Chrono Trigger is available on the PS1 as part of Final Fantasy Chronicles (that set also includes Final Fantasy IV). I believe nothing was changed besides a few cut scenes. I assume it has some load times as well.

ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ckitchin

Ok...is it just me, or is Vagrant Story a bit hard to follow? Sometimes, I'll watch a cut scene...and I feel like I have no clue as to what's going on. Maybe I missed something early on.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

[QUOTE="QWERTYCommander"]

Did you know that Something Awful gave Vagrant Story a -30?

jasonharris48

Well Something Awful sucks Vagrant Story is a great game.

Actually, it's the most honest review of Vagrant Story on the internet. VS was just plain terrible.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleTurtles"][QUOTE="Ebreezy1189"]I've never played either of those. Since digging out my ps2 I might have to go pick them up though. Whats the main idea behind the stories? Also are they anything like xenosaga as some one mentioned above? I own xs1 and 2 and don't care for either of them. ckitchin

Chrono Trigger is available on the PS1 as part of Final Fantasy Chronicles (that set also includes Final Fantasy IV). I believe nothing was changed besides a few cut scenes. I assume it has some load times as well.

I'd advise staying away from the FF Chronicles. The emulation was terrible. SE should be embarrassed.

St1rb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 St1rb
awesome
anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 anbu-black-ops

Ok...is it just me, or is Vagrant Story a bit hard to follow? Sometimes, I'll watch a cut scene...and I feel like I have no clue as to what's going on. Maybe I missed something early on.

ckitchin
the story is like that. not told in much detailed. it adds more mystery to the game and alot of possibilities for a sequel. at the end, all is revealed...
anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 anbu-black-ops
the ds has additional dungeon also. it is the definitive version of chrono trigger. plus there is an additional ending scene that bridges it to chrono cross.
ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ckitchin

the ds has additional dungeon also. it is the definitive version of chrono trigger. plus there is an additional ending scene that bridges it to chrono cross.anbu-black-ops

For the record, I'm playing the DS version. It started as a nice way to blow my lunch hour...now I find myself playing it when I get home as well.

KzJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KzJoe
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

I finished Chrono Trigger a few weeks ago, freaken epic

ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ckitchin

I finished Chrono Trigger a few weeks ago, freaken epic

KzJoe

Are you going to play it again to see the other endings?

ckitchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ckitchin

Re: Vagrant Story---I freaking HATED the Snowfly Forest. The trees blocked the camera...and the whole area is a maze. Blah! I'm glad that part is over.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 anbu-black-ops
first time i played that area, i got lost. lol. the boss fight was cool though. if you got a psp, i think its already available on the psn. keep playing it gets better, you gonna ask for a sequel once you finish the game~