John Carmack leaves ID software

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Thoughts?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Good, focus on the rift.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Moooooom! Bethesda are ruining video games again. Make them stop!

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Is this a hypotetical scenario or do you have a link to this?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By barrybarryk
@Treflis said:

No, it's true

It's probably for the best, he obviously really wants to be working on the Rift and it really is Bethesda's loss but it still feels like the end of an era.

I'm guessing it's also why Rage is free to play on Steam this weekend. I'll certainly be indulging in an id software nostalgia binge this weekend.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

He was great for gaming a long time ago, no disrespect. He has done a lot, but he hasn't done anything lately and Oculus Rift is a freaking gimmick

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@barrybarryk said:
@Treflis said:

No, it's true

It's probably for the best, he obviously really wants to be working on the Rift and it really is Bethesda's loss but it still feels like the end of an era.

I'm guessing it's also why Rage is free to play on Steam this weekend. I'll certainly be indulging in an id software nostalgia binge this weekend.

The following is just so you know for future reference. Typically in this forum, most of us regular posters expect the topic creators to provide the proof of any news. News being true or not is important, but that is really their appreciated and ultimately volitional job to show. If not done, big news can easily get mixed with rumor posts and threads. Thank you for supplying us with that, though.

On-topic: This is huge. I hope the best for John Carmack and I would like him to continue working in the video game industry. Doom and Doom 3 were amazing.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 barrybarryk
@The_Last_Ride said:

He was great for gaming a long time ago, no disrespect. He has done a lot, but he hasn't done anything lately and Oculus Rift is a freaking gimmick

Riiight it's not like every 3D engine out there is franticly trying to add in his megatexturing tech as we speak, even though he first proved it worked all the way back in 2007 with Quake Wars and perfected it with full virtual textures in Rage in 2011. id Software might not have released many games in the last decade, but they've been pushing the boundaries of what's possible with 3D engines ever since the company was founded.

This current problem every one is having with not being able to load stuff into memory fast enough, Carmack had solved it before most people even knew it was going to be a problem.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@barrybarryk said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Riiight it's not like every 3D engine out there is franticly trying to add in his megatexturing tech as we speak, even though he first proved it worked all the way back in 2007 with Quake Wars and perfected it with full virtual textures in Rage in 2011. id Software might not have released many games in the last decade, but they've been pushing the boundaries of what's possible with 3D engines ever since the company was founded.

This current problem every one is having with not being able to load stuff into memory fast enough, Carmack had solved it before most people even knew it was going to be a problem.

I did not say he didn't do anything for gaming. But Rage was crap, no matter if the game looked good. You can say Ryse looks amazing, but if a dish looks amazing but still tastes like crap. It is crap. He has done great things, but not so much lately and OR is a gimmick no matter how you look at it. Same goes for motion gaming and 3D TV

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

It's the end of an era for sure, but to be completely honest I doubt he's been heavily involved with id for a long time now. They're a pretty big company at this point.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

He's a very good programmer and I doubt he had any creative impact on id games in the past 10 years anyway.

The Oculus Rift will definitely benefit from having him work on the project full time.