Is this typical for a guy in his early 30s?

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Is it typical for a guy in his early 30s to not be as interested in video games as he was when he was younger?

*For this topic, "video games" refers to home console gaming. I've never really been that interested in PC or portable gaming (nothing against either of those things; just not my cup of tea), so I can't really lose interest in something that I wasn't really interested in in the first place. Make sense?

I'm in my early 30s, and I feel like I'm losing my interest in video games. I can't put my finger on why though. I can't decide whether it's because I've "outgrown them" or if it has to do with the gaming industry in general (perhaps I haven't outgrown gaming, but gaming hasn't given me a reason to be excited about it anymore because the quality of games in general has gotten worse).

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Well I am 32. married, home owner. My hardest thing is finding the time. I tend to buy a lot of games and never play past first level or area. Right now I been playing vita a lot with borderlands 2 and GoW and FF14 on ps4 when I can. I really enjoy mmorpgs even though they are biggest time killers lol

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 psx2514

@AutoPilotOn: Yeah, time is a big issue for me, too. I really can only play games that take 8-10 hours to complete. I'm "scared" to start any game that takes 40+ hours to beat because I'm concerned that it will take months before I beat it. Also, with many games today, it seems like you have to play for several hours to feel like you've accomplished anything.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@psx2514: lol yea it's funny. I see people complain about a game being to short when it's like 8 hours long. I am thinking thank god maybe I can finish that one.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Yeah.... It haapens all the time here on gamespot. We get the "I'm not into gaming like I used to be" thread several times a year.... Personally I think thats a good thing.... Lifes too short for video games.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@psx2514 said:

@AutoPilotOn: Yeah, time is a big issue for me, too. I really can only play games that take 8-10 hours to complete. I'm "scared" to start any game that takes 40+ hours to beat because I'm concerned that it will take months before I beat it. Also, with many games today, it seems like you have to play for several hours to feel like you've accomplished anything.

I think you might've hit the nail on the head there.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't buy many a lot of games anymore I just buy a few every year.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Getting married breaks the immersion, it's not so easy getting excited over that new objective when the house is full of them, and guess what mommy is real good at reminding daddy about them :P

liquidsuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By liquidsuns
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

I'm 33 and I'm actually getting more into gaming. I spent my childhood mostly playing outside. And my twenties traveling and drinking. Now, I just don't have the energy or desire to party much or the time to travel. So I play games a lot more than I used to.

Also, my current girlfriend is super into gaming and actually encourages me to play them, where as all my other recent GFs either didn't like them or didn't care.

I've always been into gaming but would go through long periods of just never playing them. Like years. And I'm sure that will happen again. Now though, I have a ps3, ps4, and vita. I love games.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@psx2514 said:

Is it typical for a guy in his early 30s to not be as interested in video games as he was when he was younger?

*For this topic, "video games" refers to home console gaming. I've never really been that interested in PC or portable gaming (nothing against either of those things; just not my cup of tea), so I can't really lose interest in something that I wasn't really interested in in the first place. Make sense?

I'm in my early 30s, and I feel like I'm losing my interest in video games. I can't put my finger on why though. I can't decide whether it's because I've "outgrown them" or if it has to do with the gaming industry in general (perhaps I haven't outgrown gaming, but gaming hasn't given me a reason to be excited about it anymore because the quality of games in general has gotten worse).

I am similar in age to you, and I've noticed this too but not a 'loss of interest' necessarily.

I just find myself re-playing games more often now, and I have little/no interest in the new(er) games that are coming out. It's more that for me, I'm tired of the direction of the industry. The constant push for newer, prettier, better, stronger, more impressive games and platforms has worn me out. Quality of games hasn't necessarily gone down, as there have always been terrible video games, but gamers have put the focus where it shouldn't be with video games by obsessing over 'power' and graphics and fps...too many games try way too hard instead of just being good at what they do.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@psx2514: Am I allowed to reply to this one?

As I get older, I find that I'm getting more discerning. The concept of video games was so new when I was younger, I would tollerate even the crappiest games just for the novelty of playing a video game. The only thing about me that has changed is that novelty has worn off and as I get older I have less and less of my own time to spare, so the game has to have some real quality to it to warrant the effort.

Another element to this is becoming bored with certain genres of game. FPS titles were amazing when they first came out, but now a game has to have something more compelling than just good graphics. I skip pretty much every linear FPS that comes out unless it brings something new or unique to the table (open world, compelling narrative, dialog trees, RPG elements, etc). For a while, I thought I was losing interest in gaming but I later realized that there was just a lack of innovation in the games that were coming out. Later, with this ressurgance of classic gaming types through indie development companies and Kickstarter campaigns, I have become far more interested in gaming again. Games like Sattelite Reign, War for the Overworld, Xenonauts, Star Citizen, and Elite Dangerous are spiritual successors to Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper, X-Com, Privateer, and the original Elite, respectively. Combine that with crazy unique new games like "Papers, Please", The Forest, or direct sequels to classics like Wasteland 2 or the upcomming Torment game and I'm actually -more- excited for gaming than I have been in years. Then, stack on top of -that- future peripherals like the Occulus Rift and I can't wait for just what's on the horizon, much less what'll come out in the next 10 years.

And to me, there is no distinction between console and PC gaming. It's just "gaming".

-Byshop

MillCityMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MillCityMadman
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

@Byshop: My interest in actually playing games wanes at times and I think that's normal. Doesn't seem to stop me from buying them though, strangely..

I attribute it to the quality of games these days, not much innovation at all really. Regardless, I don't see myself ever completely stopping, and I picture myself old and gray someday, staring blankly at my steam account with 10k games trying to decide what to play.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@psx2514: why does it matter to you how long it takes you to beat a game? There's no rush, the game isn't going to go mouldy if you don't play it for a while lol

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ariabed

@Lulu_Lulu: " Lifes too short for video games."

What!!??

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

OP..went through that stage, but it comes back:) Actually video games are unimportant in the bigger life picture. When you are on your death bed, I would suspect you will not be saying.."I wish I would have played that last level of Uncharted". Family, God, etc is what is important in the long run. I love my games, and it is a great escape, but not that fulfilling when we look at life.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Well at 20 I've already lost most of my appetite for gaming( I just recently resumed gaming with GTA 5 though) Maybe that's got something to with Last Of Us being the best game ever for me, and so finding any other game inferior to it ; maybe that's got something to do with depression ( this shit just makes you lose interest in every fucking thing, makes you as indifferent as ice) or maybe it's because of lack of time as already mentioned.You know, work, college and such things soak up both your time and energy.

See which one's your case OP.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psx2514

@yngsten:

@yngsten said:

Getting married breaks the immersion, it's not so easy getting excited over that new objective when the house is full of them, and guess what mommy is real good at reminding daddy about them :P

Here's the solution to that problem. DON'T GET MARRIED OR HAVE CHILDREN. (Too late for you though).

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 psx2514

@ariabed said:

@psx2514: why does it matter to you how long it takes you to beat a game? There's no rush, the game isn't going to go mouldy if you don't play it for a while lol

It matters when you have a huge backlog.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@psx2514 said:

@ariabed said:

It matters when you have a huge backlog.

It only matters if you think it matters, regardless of how many games you own that you may or may not have beaten. Look at the link in my sig. Do you think I've beaten even a quarter of those games? That's not even including the 600 or so I have in Steam.

-Byshop

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

im in my early 30's and i find most single player games being a bit tooo long. i still have the time for the most part since i do work at home, but im finding that id rather play games with less commitment.

i dont think it has anything to do with how the industry or outgrowing gaming...i think we just have to ease back with certain things in time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

I'm 36....and yes as you get older, lack of time, too much work, girlfriends and other commitments becomes a daunting task to balance.

For me, for this current generation, I've decided to stick to just one console for the entire generation, PS4 (haven't got one yet). That way, I'm fully committed and fully invested in just one console, rather than building a library of cluttered backlogs to play. To me, that's just way too chaotic. Hell, I'm still working on finishing some backlogs on my 360 and PS3.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ariabed

@psx2514:

@ariabed said:

"It matters when you have a huge backlog."

If it mattered to you that much you wouldn't have accumulated such a huge backlog. Just saying

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

I'm 25 and don't play games as much as I used to. For me it's a combination of lack of time and interest. I haven't even remotely considered trying the current gen. I mostly play on PC anyway but even then I can't fully immerse myself into anything anymore, unless it's literally one game at a time. GTA V would've been the last title I got really into. I even bought an Xbox 360 just to play it!

It's work and lots of monthly bills that keep me from staying interested. Don't have time, don't have money. Heck, even last night was the first time in months since I last visited the forums here!!! Trying to come back.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'm going on 38 and I have a hard time fining games that I like. Most games don't interest me. A lot of the stuff seems like mature content aimed at little kids. Like watchdogs I have no interest in hacking into someones house to listen to them talk about farting. I'm not loosing interest in gaming I'm just having a hard time finding stuff that I like. Most games feel really generic to me. I find my taste is more in line with Japanese games. Most western games bore the hell out of me and I can't even finish them. I don't like steam punk I don't like first person games I don't like super heros I don't like sports games I don't like racing games I don't like fighting games I don't like most games with guns and I don't like online games. I purchased 100 games this last gen and there were only 10 that I really liked. Most end up on my shelf collecting dust.

Maybe you just need to refine your taste a little and stick with what you like. Trailers can make any game look cool and you can't trust half of these BS reviews. Seems like anything EA Activision Bethesda or Ubisoft puts out reviewers rave over. I swear they're in the pocket of the gaming websites. Because most of the games I've played by them bore the hell out of me.

Oris1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Oris1024
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Experiencing same stuff, started watching games, as in watching videos of someone else going through a game.

Rewatched a guy play a game all the way through on extreme difficulty - the game i barely finished on normal a good while back - surprisingly found it pretty enjoyable.

Potential hiccup here: some games that include strategy - you really want them to hear some commentary for watching to be meaningful, but for some titles i only find videos commented by "OMG that was AWESOME!!!"-screaming kids.

More or less linear games though - looking up "title_of_the_game walkthrough no commentary" on youtube gives more and more complete games.

my ¢2

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#27 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i somewhat get bored of gaming off and on also.

but you know if your bored, take a break and only play a few games you know you'll like. can't force it.

i get bored a lot of some of the new games and always go back to the classics. some games never get old.

i wish online games were more fun, or at least had a way to be in a community with good people. There are so many trouble makers online which ruin online games with their foul language and trolling attempts.

Dennysinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dennysinny
Member since 2013 • 296 Posts

@AutoPilotOn said:

Well I am 32. married, home owner. My hardest thing is finding the time.

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure......................

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#29 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

People generally go through these phases, where they feel they should be focusing on something else other than gaming, and so start to lose interest in games for a while. I've been in that situation many times, and there have been occasions when I haven't played any games for a year or more. However, I always come back to playing games, because in the end they are just another form of enjoyable entertainment, and I prefer gaming over watching TV.

I don't think age is a factor as, over the years, I've come across many people in their 50s and 60s who still enjoy playing games. I'm rapidly approaching the half century mark myself, and still enjoying games, both on console and PC. Just take a break away from gaming for a while, if you feel it is becoming stale or less satisfying for you.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Keep in mind by posting this in a gaming forum you are getting a different audience of people.

Most people are big on gaming from their childhood, to high school through college. Then, it wanes down. Most people (casuals) stop gaming when they're in their late 20's and early 30's.

My cousin got a PS2 when he was like 23. Had a lot of games for it. Got a PS3 at launch when he was 27 but only had a couple titles for it. He's 34 now and he's too busy with three kids to get a PS4.

Most guys are like my cousin when it comes to gaming.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@psx2514 said:

It's not abnormal. I don't put in as many hours into a game unless there's a specific game I'm obsessed with.

When I was younger I use to be able to quickly move on after I got bored of a game, to another game. Now I have several other different interests outside gaming I can attend to.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

I'm 31, this is neither normal or abnormal. I'm in the same boat as you right now, my interest in video games is on the decline. I think for me, it has more to do with the next gen of consoles giving me no reason to be excited. That along with a recent drought of games that interest me means I've barely played any games on any platform.

This in turn usually leads me to focus on other interests and hobbies. Eventually I know more games will come out that I want to play and my interest will pick back up. I would suspect the same for you, maybe you just need a break from video games.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

To me gaming is and has always been a social activity. I was never really one for 1 Player Games. So I'm 40 and I still play & still have just as much interest as ever. The only thing that deters me from playing more or being more interested in it is:

1) Time - As you get older, you get busier, Job, Life, Kids, Dog, Chores, all that crap. It does not leave much time for gaming and it's hard to stay focused and stay into something when you only get to play an hour a week.

2) Energy - Same as time, lol. Basically, I'm getting old so I can't stay up until 2 AM every night gaming...so that does not leave much energy.

3) Social - Right now my only social gaming is with the kids. I feel like I would play more if I had more RL Friends online playing. So I don't have that appeal anymore. As you get older the side effects of #1 & #2 start killing your social life.

So many people get upset about the 4-8 hour games...hell those are the only ones I have time to play. I think the Batman Games are the only games I have played beginning to end in the last 5 years. Hour or so a night and done in a week. They are perfect!

Avatar image for irishstanddown_
IrishStandDown_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By IrishStandDown_
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I am turning 30 in August. I have my moments... I enjoy playing games still and being involved with gaming. My wife used to hate it but has grown on her and she learned that this is my hobby and she started her own hobby. There are days after work that I do not even feel like playing a game though which really sucks. I used to be able to go to college classes 8/9am to 6/7pm, work, and go home play games till 3am and do it again the next day. Now come 10pm I am yawning and trying to stay awake so that I can get some time in.

I do get aggravated and impatient with long games now. I beat GTA V, but at one point I was like WTF when is this going to end (The same with Skyrim). My game collection has grown now that I have an adult job but my completion or actual game time has lowered. I now like beating games and moving on to something else.

One thing I have noticed is my reflexes are slower. I used to be really fast and automatically know what is happening around me. Now it feels like it takes longer for things to be recognized or sink in. This has demoralized me in playing multi-player games that require that kind of reflexes.

10knuckles01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 10knuckles01
Member since 2007 • 165 Posts

im 30 with a partner and 18 month old baby.. work full time carpenter, surf most arvos, mortgage...

always been a gamer and always will be but time is an issue!!

BUT i always find time to play some Dark Souls 2

PRAISE THE SUN

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

I just turned 30 myself. My interest in gaming hasn't waned much since years past. I don't have many obligations on my off time, so finding the time to game hasn't been problematic for me. I say the only thing that has changed, when it comes to games that have a definitive end (story-based mainly), I have noticed myself not following through to the end more frequently. I got through most of AC3 last June (a year ago!), but stopped at some point. I don't even know (or remember) why. I just decided to truck through the rest and finally finish it yesterday and only took a couple of hours to do. I think there's something about the pointless repetitive aspects of a game that loses my interest. With all the fetch and crafting tasks in AC3 for example, I just couldn't give a rats backside about peg legs, animal parts, feathers, etc to grind through all that.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 psx2514

@jdc6305: I totally agree with what you said about mature content aimed at kids. Just because a video game has lots of violence and gore doesn't mean it's aimed at kids. There aren't many video games out there that are aimed at adults.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#38 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@psx2514 said:

you might just be burned out or just not have the interest in them atm.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 psx2514
@keech said:

I'm 31, this is neither normal or abnormal. I'm in the same boat as you right now, my interest in video games is on the decline. I think for me, it has more to do with the next gen of consoles giving me no reason to be excited. That along with a recent drought of games that interest me means I've barely played any games on any platform.

That's exactly how I feel.

RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts

i'm 33 and i feel the same way but i guess for me it's like someone else said the newer consoles don't give me to much to be excited about dlc done wrong is also a turn off (why should i pay extra for shit that's supposed to be or already on the disk?) i work everyday except saturday and sunday and i try to cram as much gaming in as possible if im not out with my girlfriend or my brothers

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

im 31 also and the the only reason i really dont like playing games anymore is cause i have noone to play them with or talk about them with anymore. i love to talk about gaming and would love for someone to play games with but everyone my age around me just isnt that into gaming.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

I'm 21 and still like video games however I miss those Halo 2 , GTA san andreas and Half life 2 days :/

my brother is 32 and he just plays Strategy games on PC . StarCraft , Generals , Lord of the rings battle for middle earth ... he says strategy and puzzle games are the best kind and other games are pretty much crap .

thats how life works . our tastes change , our opinions change ....

I would say just one thing :

As long as you like something ( movies , music , games ..... ), Try your best to enjoy the hell out of it .

because there will be a time that you won't be interested in it anymore .