Is there anyone left who prefers linear, single-player experiences?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts

These days, the industry seems to be moving more and more towards online games and sandboxes. But personally, I'll always prefer games that provide a carefully crafted, cinematic experience from start to finish (games like MGS, Uncharted, the new Batman game, etc.). Anyone else feel this way?

A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Man, I can always play a new MGS so I definitely with you on that.

Online games are fun, but every now and then a nice single player game is nice to play. I'm looking forward to FFXIII when that comes out.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

This is one of the main reasons why I enjoy JRPGs more so than WRPGs. So many WRPGs have a vast, open world for you to explore, and it's easy for you to get off track, and eventually FORGET the what the story is all about. Which is why I praise games such Final Fantasy, The Chrono series (well, the two Chrono games xD) Dragon Quest, Breath Of Fire etc.

EDIT: Oh man, how could I forget ZELDA? xD

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#4 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Hearhear. Final Fantasy, MGS, Star Ocean etc. rank the highest in my book. Though online and sandbox-mechanics can be cool, I will always prefer the linear, epic, story-focused approach.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i dont know if i prefer it, but i appreciate linear games that are done well.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
single player...definately. but i do like to see a mixture of linear and more open ended. games that are linear overall but open ended from level to level (like the witcher or deus ex) are also great.
Katran0923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Katran0923
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts
I definitely prefer single player games, linear or not. I don't like playing with others. I find it more irritating and distracting than anything else.
Avatar image for deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
Member since 2002 • 9782 Posts

I like to have my cake and eat it too. I really enjoy MMO's and sandbox gameplay, but I'd be disapointed to see the linear SP experience drop off the radar.

Engine16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Engine16
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts
I'll take a really well thought out linear SP game over a drab uninspired clone of the countless "sandbox" Sp games coming out these days (Far Cry 2). :)
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I'll take a really well thought out linear SP game over a drab uninspired clone of the countless "sandbox" Sp games coming out these days (Far Cry 2). :)Engine16
I agree. Far Cry 2 was just annoying to move around.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#11 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Linear is debatable, but I always prefer single players to multiplayer.

And generally, yeah, i prefer more linear games that comletely sandbox games.

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
[QUOTE="Engine16"]I'll take a really well thought out linear SP game over a drab uninspired clone of the countless "sandbox" Sp games coming out these days (Far Cry 2). :)Legolas_Katarn
I agree. Far Cry 2 was just annoying to move around.

I liked the outpost and driving around in Far Cry 2 :) it is one of my favorite games
SuperDooperX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SuperDooperX
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I typically don't ever really play single player games. Most of the time I jump straight online
Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts

I much prefer linear single player games. What I've found out about myself as a gamer is, if I'm in a sandbox game, I get distracted and never complete it. Hence the reason I'm not a massive fan of the GTA series (except GTA: Chinatown Wars, thats more fun).

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

I prefer them too, because I'm older and well this is how most games were when I grew up.

sandbox are fun to play in, but it frustrates me when people say oh this game sucks it's linear, like every game from now on has to be sandbox :(

I don't care for multiplayer much either, it's a nice addition to good single player game but I hate when they give you a half assed single campaign and concentrate on the multiplayer *cough mw*

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Actually, just to add my last two cents, I actually have been longing to play through a new single-player game. Mainly because I have done nothing but play Gears Of War and Soul Calibur lately. What I really want to do, is to get Batman AA and play through Fable 2, at least before school becomes a part of my life again. T_T

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#17 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Linear is debatable, but I always prefer single players to multiplayer.

And generally, yeah, i prefer more linear games that comletely sandbox games.

BuryMe

Agreed. I'm not a big online gamer, and I dislike when games get too open and sandboxish (?) :P

Reiji-Arisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Reiji-Arisu
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
I like linear over sandbox games. I find it hard to finish a sandbox game.
Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts

Man, I can always play a new MGS so I definitely with you on that.

Online games are fun, but every now and then a nice single player game is nice to play. I'm looking forward to FFXIII when that comes out.

A_Mobile_Doll
Yuuup MGS pops right into my head.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I like single player quite a bit more then multiplayer, as for linearity, the fact that MGS and Final Fantasy are my favourites pretty much sums up my opinion.

I like sandbox games as well, but not as much (unless they are done right, such as in GTA)

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I much prefer story based games to generic online shooters.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

If all games would be sandbox games from now on I'd go crazy, I need to play something linear every now and then :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

liniar games can be some of the best, because it is easier to make a good story when you know where the player is. Also they use less of thier time making a big world, that you will rarely see (not all of it).

I do like open world free roaming games, but for a good story I stick to the liniar ones ;)

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I, too, prefer a more linear experience in a game to a sandbox-type experience in a game, not that I hate the sandbox experience; I quite enjoyed playing Fallout 3.

I also like singleplayer more than multiplayer. Multiplayer is a blast with friends, but singleplayer is where the epic adventure and storyline typically is.

crazboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 crazboy84
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

These days, the industry seems to be moving more and more towards online games and sandboxes. But personally, I'll always prefer games that provide a carefully crafted, cinematic experience from start to finish (games like MGS, Uncharted, the new Batman game, etc.). Anyone else feel this way?

nero_rules
i like all of these types of games as long as they are well developed. look at how awesome wolverine was, and how awesome batman is gunna be i cant wait its in the mail from gamefly now!
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

nero_rules

I prefer open-ende to the linear you mentioned.

Linear single-player games are cookie-cutter in design, meaning the NPCs always pop-up in the same location, loot containers never vary so you know which ones to ignore, etc. Really lowers your immersion level when you know what's going to happen all of the time.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Story is driven much better in linear games and non-linear gamers are only deferred from ever finishing.
Avatar image for Nyxathid_Horror
Nyxathid_Horror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nyxathid_Horror
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

I, too, prefer a more linear experience in a game to a sandbox-type experience in a game, not that I hate the sandbox experience; I quite enjoyed playing Fallout 3.

I also like singleplayer more than multiplayer. Multiplayer is a blast with friends, but singleplayer is where the epic adventure and storyline typically is.

DJ-Lafleur
Seconded. I've always been more of a single player action/adventure fanatic. DMC, GOW, Prototype, Zelda, etc...
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i prefer single player myself
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I prefer single player more as opposed to multiplayer. I don't really care if it's linear or not but I at least prefer it not to be completely linear.

Avatar image for randomwiiplayer
randomwiiplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 randomwiiplayer
Member since 2009 • 1804 Posts

I like single player games better.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#32 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

playing super mario games for years zelda games for yrs single player gtas driver saints row etc i can do both ,, its just a matter if the game it self is good , no i m not talkin about graphics you can throw shiny graphics on alien syndrmn and that game would still lack ,

LordOfBlades4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LordOfBlades4
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts
I am with ya!
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
I play single player a lot more than multiplayer. A lot more. In fact, I didn't have an internet connection for my console (damn university firewall) and have gone since October without any online play whatsoever. I'm just a single-player sort of guy. Story and voice acting are crucial to me and nothing beats an enjoyable single player game. I find it far more relaxing and far more immersing, which is what I'm in this for. That said, I do really like some sandbox games. I love GTA, for example. On the other hand, I hated Oblivion and Fallout *shrug*.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

nero_rules

I'm not necessarily into the cinematic experience for games as much as some are, but I also prefer a good linear sp game to most open world or online multiplayer games. Same room multiplayer will always be best game experience imo.

BayKing8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BayKing8877
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

I have some games to play online but i never do. Im more of a person who plays games to get away from everyone else and just have some me time so im not a big online gaming fan

BigJackBauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BigJackBauer
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

Story is driven much better in linear games and non-linear gamers are only deferred from ever finishing.jjtiebuckle

I have to agree with this, I tend to usually become a lot more involved in linear single player games (for example, Dead Space, Fear) than I do with sandbox style (for example, GTA, Far Cry 2). The greatest exception to this is Fallout 3 which is easily one of my favourite games of all time. Its not that I don't like the sandbox style - far from it - but I normally spend less time on that type of game than I would on a more simple 'point A to point B' game where there is no real deviation. I'll continue to buy both types of game so long as they keep making them.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I prefer them as of now because open world isn't done that well. I think it has potential to be an interesting way of telling a story, but nobody really does it that way. It usually is just a poorly executed linear storyline with fetch quests and races thrown in.
3minty3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 3minty3
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts

Games like uncharted and portal are the games I enjoy most. Although I like online like CoD4. I prefer if there is a great single-player to go with it.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I prefer singleplayer to multiplayer.

As far as linear vs open its a mixture of the two. I like certain parts of the game to be linear but i also want to be afforded the chance to branch off and go do sidequests or hunt for Ultimate Weapons or other powerful items and such before i head back to the story.

This is mainly why i love JRPGs over more western offerings. Not because being herded towards the ending is more fun than getting there on your own, it just affords the developers the chance to deliver a more concise and enveloping experience since there are fewer variables.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i like single player games.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I prefer a combination of linear and open world games like JRPGs. JRPGs are linear but in some point you can free-roam the world/map.

I don't care about online multiplayer that much especially competitive multiplayer. I do like co-ops like in LBP and Demon's Souls. But overall, single player mode >>>>>>> online multiplayer.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God of War. Some of my favourite games. Their all fairly linear, single player.You only need linear levels and story for fighting games.

Ninja Gaiden = Something like 3 million

Devil May Cry = 10 million

God of War = Something like 3-5 million

So, yes. People very much like linear single player games, if there good.

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

Oh yes im with you on that, its not everyday you see them like we use to. Lately we have been getting a lot of sandbox like games that arent so good. They arent all bad granted but I havent really felt that same storytelling style like a linear game experience.

Astaritobril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Astaritobril
Member since 2004 • 42 Posts

I love to play linear games. Single or Multi player. The last great single player for me was FFX, loved that one. I think games like Gears of War can count as a single player, linear game. It also happens to be one that I like. I have played it online but prefer the single player experience because of it's story.

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

There'snothing inherently wrong with linearity; sometimes that is all the game requires.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
At times I do prefer having to follow a nice storyline strictly, that is, if the story is satisfying from start to finish.
pmorrison2588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pmorrison2588
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Of course I like Single player games. Specially I like NFS. But There are some single player games, that can be played as multiplayer if needed. Recently I bumped on to this game called Glory Of Fellowland, and I am really amused to see how nicely designed it is both as a single player, and a multiplayer game. Though free, and browser based, yet it is a nice strategy game.