Is the original Xbox underrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DerveCreaves
Member since 2013 • 345 Posts
Even though it sold more than the Gamecube, after the Wii, the Gamecube ended up gaining more interest, while when the 360 released the Xbox is not.(whether that has to do with the 360 being better than the Xbox and the Wii being worse than the Gamecube is still a debated issue but that's another story) I find that weird, even now people don't even know Xbox. In fact, seems like they are forgetting it more and more with the downsampling of its game library while it was not that far off from the PS2 selling almost half of the PS2's software not including bundles and such. I think it was a pretty good system, maybe even better than the PS2. it had lots of great games, it had quite a few that did well, and some games that MS experimented with like Blinx that were pretty entertaining, and bringing PC games to the console market as well, so it was pretty much an unfamiliar venture for veteran console gamers. Not sure why it is not getting much interest outside the Halo games and Fable. Some of the Sega games do get talked about though.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I wouldn't call it underrated. It's an awesome console though, lot of great titles like Dreamfall:The Longest Journey, Phantom Dust, Kingdom Under Fire, Dead or Alive, etcetc
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Steel Battalion was enough reason for me to warrant owning an original Xbox. Throw in other worthy exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, and generally the best versions of multiplatform releases (PC aside), and it's easy to see why it's a console worth owning. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 had next to no exclusives worth talking about. The only exclusive game that really interests me is Shadow Complex, along with some enhanced ports of N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast titles, all XBLA stuff. That's it, really. Its predecessor console had more to offer for someone who primarily games on PC wherever possible.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Most of its games are available on a PC, and a toaster PC at that. The Gamecube has many more worthwile exclusives.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DerveCreaves
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]Steel Battalion was enough reason for me to warrant owning an original Xbox. Throw in other worthy exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, and generally the best versions of multiplatform releases (PC aside), and it's easy to see why it's a console worth owning. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 had next to no exclusives worth talking about. The only exclusive game that really interests me is Shadow Complex, along with some enhanced ports of N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast titles, all XBLA stuff. That's it, really. Its predecessor console had more to offer for someone who primarily games on PC wherever possible.

There were more exclusives on the Xbox 360 differentiation from PC (and others) than the Xbox.
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

The original Xbox brought HDD to console gaming and build the base for online play. Those are two major components that is necessary for all current hardwares to even stay in the market. I would like to believe that the Xbox is unappreciated.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I don't think it's underrated as much as it's support was cut short, considering when last gen it came out.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

it was a good system. what more are you looking for?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Steel Battalion was enough reason for me to warrant owning an original Xbox. Throw in other worthy exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, and generally the best versions of multiplatform releases (PC aside), and it's easy to see why it's a console worth owning. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 had next to no exclusives worth talking about. The only exclusive game that really interests me is Shadow Complex, along with some enhanced ports of N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast titles, all XBLA stuff. That's it, really. Its predecessor console had more to offer for someone who primarily games on PC wherever possible.NamelessPlayer

Project Gotham Racing 4, Forza 4/Horizon, Halo say otherwise

SulIy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SulIy
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
Oh man I loved the OG Xbox, especially THE DUKE... the original controller. I still have fond memories of the original Project Gotham Racing and Rallisport games, Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Jet Set Radio Future. (Orta and JSRF still can't be played on any other platform, which is a shame since both are awesome but Sega is too damned stupid to get them available as digital downloads on the current consoles)
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#11 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Xbox is awesome. I feel like it gets credit where due though so it's not underrated. HDD and broadband/LAN support out of the box, great graphics and the first console to get some foremerly PC exclusives. I love the controllers too. The duke is great but I think my main squeeze is the newer style S-controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I don't think it's underrated at all. If you look at the current market share between Microsoft and Sony, it is quite apparent that a number of ps2 owners went with the next gen Xbox.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

In a way it is underrated in the sense that many of its best titles were all but ignored by many XBOX owners. I feel like everyone give the XBOX credit for the big hits like Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR and of course Halo. However, games like Otogi, Phantom Dust, Jurassic Park OG, Jet Set Radio Future, and Call of Cihulluwere most ignored and neglected when the XBOX was the current system. So because of many of the untapped gems, yes, it is underrated, however it did get plenty of attention and credit, and still does to this day.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

Most of its games are available on a PC, and a toaster PC at that. The Gamecube has many more worthwile exclusives.

Lucianu
Thats why xbox is underrated. Ppl are ignorant of the xbox and think it barely has exclusives outside of pc ports.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Xbox might not be the most popular, but it's one of my favorite systems - though pretty-much all systems I've owned have been favorites. Xbox was the only system that generation to 'not' require a memory card to save games. Xbox had many great exclusives. Xbox also usually had the best multiplatform games compared to the versions released on PS2 and GameCube. Xbox was also the first console system I ever played online, and I'm sure Halo and Halo 2 brought in many new online gamers. I think the system could have lasted at least a few more years, just like the PS2.
cyberstalker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cyberstalker1
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts
Some of the games on Xbox graphix still impress me to this day. Try half life 2. Makes me wonder why anyone bought a ps2
Vambran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vambran
Member since 2005 • 1921 Posts

When Xbox came out most video games ( console side ) were still made mostly in Japan. And the Xbox got next to no 3rd party support. At best with a few exceptions , they would get a release a few years after a game came out on the PS2.

Any serious gamer back in the early 00's either had a PS2 or a gaming PC. I got Fable and Halo 2 still for my Xbox. Everything else worth playing i rebought in HD for either steam or current gen consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

It was awesome for it's time I think. Online gaming rocked on that beast

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

People bought Xboxes for Halo 2. I think that the PS2 is the superior platform, but I think that the Xbox sits in it's rightful place: Behind the PS2 in sales, and lacking the Nintendo exclusives like LoZ: Wind Waker or SSB Melee, but it's hard to knock it when it played most everything those two consoles played.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

Lucianu

What a silly thing to say.

List of worthwhile Xbox exclusives (not available on any other platform):

Breakdown
Brute Force
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Crimson Sea
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dance Dance Revolution Ultra Mix 1-4
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Deathrow
Far Cry Instincts
Far Instincts Evolution
Forza Motorsport
Fuzion Frenzy
Gunvalkyrie
Hunter The Reckoning: Redeemer
Jet Set Radio Future
Kingdom Under Fire Heroes
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Metal Wolf Chaos
Midtown Madness 3
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Otogi Myth of Demons
Otogi 2 Immortal Warriors
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Quantum Redshift
Rallisport Challenge 2
Sega GT 2002
Sega GT Online
Steel Battalion
Steel Battalion: Line of COntact
ToeJam & Earl 3
Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike
Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DerveCreaves

When Xbox came out most video games ( console side ) were still made mostly in Japan. And the Xbox got next to no 3rd party support. At best with a few exceptions , they would get a release a few years after a game came out on the PS2.

Any serious gamer back in the early 00's either had a PS2 or a gaming PC. I got Fable and Halo 2 still for my Xbox. Everything else worth playing i rebought in HD for either steam or current gen consoles.

Vambran
Most games have mostly been made on consoles in the U.S. for pretty much all gens. Except maybe the 3rd gen.
DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DerveCreaves

People bought Xboxes for Halo 2. I think that the PS2 is the superior platform, but I think that the Xbox sits in it's rightful place: Behind the PS2 in sales, and lacking the Nintendo exclusives like LoZ: Wind Waker or SSB Melee, but it's hard to knock it when it played most everything those two consoles played.

realguitarhero5
With nearly over 100 games selling over a million (GC is no where near that, and PS2 may e around or slightly above that) You are clearly wrong.
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
The original Xbox was great in my opinion, but back than the PS2 was my console of choice. Xbox Live, and titles like KOTOR, Rallisport Challenge, Ninja Gaiden, JSRF, Halo, and Fable really gave it some style. It reminded me a bit of Sega's Dreamcast to an extent. I wouldn't say it was underrated. One of my favorite systems for sure.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
There were more exclusives on the Xbox 360 differentiation from PC (and others) than the Xbox.DerveCreaves
Project Gotham Racing 4, Forza 4/Horizon, Halo say otherwisespeedfreak48t5p
Okay, let me revise and clarify my statement: the only Xbox 360 exclusives that I actually care about are Shadow Complex and, if you count enhanced HD ports as exclusives, Perfect Dark, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, and Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram. I'm not really interested in Halo beyond the original game, which incidentally has a PC port. If I want a racing game fix, I'll probably fire up Richard Burns Rally, though I do see the appeal in the Forza series as a comprehensive arcade racer bordering on sim-lite territory.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts
If I want a racing game fix, I'll probably fire up Richard Burns Rally, though I do see the appeal in the Forza series as a comprehensive arcade racer bordering on sim-lite territory.NamelessPlayer
Forza is more of a simulation-type racing game leaning towards the arcade side. I would say that DiRT is more of an arcade racing game leaning towards simulation.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

I liked it, but then I got into PC gaming and realized that almost all of the games I was interested on the Xbox were on PC as well.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

underrated? no , good system? yes

I think the system has a pretty good reputation , and it deserves it

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Breakdown
Brute Force
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Crimson Sea
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Deathrow
Far Cry Instincts
Far Instincts Evolution
Forza Motorsport
Fuzion Frenzy
Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Metal Wolf Chaos
Midtown Madness 3
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Otogi Myth of Demons
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Quantum Redshift
Rallisport Challenge 2
Sega GT 2002
Sega GT Online
Steel Battalion
ToeJam & Earl 3
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2

AcidSoldner

What do you expect me to say wen everytime the Xbox is mentioned, its highlights proclaimed by fans are available on the PC in a infinitely superior form. I won't deny that it was ignorant of me. But people are gonna jump to that conclusion, just like with the DC and its hidden gems of exclusives.

That list is awesome, i would love to play some of those games, so i definitely stand corrected.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#30 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I wouldn't call it underrated, but it maybe doesn't get enough credit for what it was. It completely changed the way video games are played online.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

all I can say is that I owned all four relevant systems that generation (PS2, NGC, SDC, XBOX) and I would rank Xbox 4th.

was it bad? no.
was it under-rated? no.
it simply was what it was.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

AcidSoldner

Breakdown
Brute Force
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Crimson Sea
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Deathrow
Far Cry Instincts
Far Instincts Evolution
Forza Motorsport
Fuzion Frenzy
Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Metal Wolf Chaos
Midtown Madness 3
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Otogi Myth of Demons
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Quantum Redshift
Rallisport Challenge 2
Sega GT 2002
Sega GT Online
Steel Battalion
ToeJam & Earl 3
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2

actually far cry instincts is on the Xbox 360 as an unlockable on Farcry: Predator

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

I never really thought it was. It always seemed like a niche system to me. A big niche, but I knew plenty of people growing up who never liked what it had to offer. It wasn't until Halo 2, when Xbox Live really took off, when people started to actually love it.

But even nowadays, I know very few people that own one (I do, though), and most of it's exclusives were somewhat mediocre.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DerveCreaves

all I can say is that I owned all four relevant systems that generation (PS2, NGC, SDC, XBOX) and I would rank Xbox 4th.

was it bad? no.
was it under-rated? no.
it simply was what it was.

TheKungFool
DC was relevant 2 gens ago? It was a good system. But they should have waited a bit longer for the Saturn to sprout at least a couple legs before rushing it out that early. it died to quick. Good thing the Xbox saved Shenmue.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Some of the games on Xbox graphix still impress me to this day. Try half life 2. Makes me wonder why anyone bought a ps2cyberstalker1

Try Half-Life 2 on PC. It looked/looks and plays so much better.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

It became the ultimate Emulator machine , Megadrive , Nes , Snes , Atari , Mame , Master System , Intellivision and many many more !

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

It's not underrated but it's a good system.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Most people acknowledge as a good system with a strong library of games so no i don't think so. I enjoyed owning one back in 03, fun system.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Breakdown
Brute Force
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Crimson Sea
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Deathrow
Far Cry Instincts
Far Instincts Evolution
Forza Motorsport
Fuzion Frenzy
Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Metal Wolf Chaos
Midtown Madness 3
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Otogi Myth of Demons
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Quantum Redshift
Rallisport Challenge 2
Sega GT 2002
Sega GT Online
Steel Battalion
ToeJam & Earl 3
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2

Lucianu

What do you expect me to say wen everytime the Xbox is mentioned, its highlights proclaimed by fans are available on the PC in a infinitely superior form. I won't deny that it was ignorant of me. But people are gonna jump to that conclusion, just like with the DC and its hidden gems of exclusives.

That list is awesome, i would love to play some of those games, so i definitely stand corrected.

While I won't deny that the majority of the Xbox's best games are Xbox/PC multiplat (in my opinion anyway), there are so many Xbox only gems that most people tend to overlook.
BlendThree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BlendThree
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

If you couldn't afford a decent gaming P.C., the original Xbox was a must.

roulettethedog

This isn't too far off base- Having purchased all 3 platforms that gen (4 if you count Dreamcast); it did seem like most of the titles I considered must-have for the XBox were either avaialble for all of the systems or, at the very least, PC as well.

I remember wanting to support it better than I ended up but it was difficult with the Sony train (and Nintendo's pretty attractive first party stuff on the GameCube). I ended up doing exactly what I hoped not to: Favoring the PS2 throughout most of the 6th generation.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I love it.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Might I point you guys to this recent thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29322472/more-love-for-the-original-xbox?page=0

Kingolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kingolden
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I don't think it's underated but I do think it was cut-off way to soon.
DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DerveCreaves

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29322472/more-love-for-the-original-xbox?page=0

Emerald_Warrior
Lol Recent?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

DerveCreaves

Lol Recent?

It's only a month old.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes I always thought that Microsoft didn't put much faith in the original Xbox. With 24.5 Million sold in 4 years. MS killed off the Xbox too soon. In order to bring Xbox 360 to market. I thought that MS might have been best to release an original Xbox Mini or Slimline. The Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 S have been out since 2005-2013. Eight years MS has waited to bring the successor. The original Xbox was underated by Microsoft themselves it would seem.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Emerald_Warrior

Yes I always thought that Microsoft didn't put much faith in the original Xbox. With 24.5 Million sold in 4 years. MS killed off the Xbox too soon. In order to bring Xbox 360 to market. I thought that MS might have been best to release an original Xbox Mini or Slimline. The Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 S have been out since 2005-2013. Eight years MS has waited to bring the successor. The original Xbox was underated by Microsoft themselves it would seem.
Megavideogamer

XBox had a falling out with a major chip manufacturer for the original XBox, from what I read. IIRC, they decided rather than seeking out a new contract with someone else, that it would be more cost-effective to just focus on the 360 solely which they were already working on.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
I enjoyed my xbx much more than my ps2, or GameCube. The online aspect, not to mention the constant DLC was new to me, and it had me hooked.