Is Shigeru Miyamoto a genius?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 bcroger2
Member since 2009 • 848 Posts
Definition of genius:

an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.

Shigeru Miyamoto is one of the greatest video developers of all time. Do you think he would he be considered a video game genus? thanks.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
I'm not qualified to label anyone a genius or not, but I will say he's been one of the most successful and influential video game designers ever to emerge.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

He has made a tremendous contribution to gaming, but I really wish he would go off into retirement. These days he spouts nothing but sheer nonsense.

el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

He is one of the pioneers, so yes.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

What games has he made.

thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
Who is that?
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

He has made a tremendous contribution to gaming, but I really wish he would go off into retirement. These days he spouts nothing but sheer nonsense.

MarcusAntonius
Or he can just make games and shutup. I'd go with that. Quiet Miyamoto is a great Miyamoto. Talkative Miyamoto is that crazy Uncle everyone avoids at the family reunion.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Of course he's a genius! Should this even be a question!? But there are also other geniuses in the video game world we should acknowledge. Tim Sweeney and John Carmack for their video game engines, Gabe Newel as well for Valve, Sid Meier, Will Wright, Hideo Kojima for MGS, Fumito Ueda for his artistic games, the guys at Blizzard, even composers like Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda should also be given some props, and most of the programmers who bring the games to life should all be considered geniuses as well...it goes on. But Miyamoto is probably at the top for his HUGE contributions to the video game industry. So to answer your question: YES, he's a genius, but there are others too.
Devlyiik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Devlyiik
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Him developing Super Mario Bros. was a key moment that allowed the videogame industry to resurrect after the videogame crash of 1983. For that reason, I like to think of him as a pioneer and a genius. I really wonder where we'd be videogame-wise if it weren't for him...

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

Two words: Wii Music.

:lol:

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I suppose he is. A genius that has lost his mind.
Soko77788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Soko77788
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

To those that don't know who he is......Ever heard of Mario or Zelda? Yeah he basically created them as well as many other hit franchises. Seems these guys like to point out what he's done bad which is not much. Yes he is a Genius.

SLI_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SLI_Gamer
Member since 2010 • 291 Posts
yeah he is for sure the Beethoven of gaming. But right now he just does only nice ideas galaxy was the last big hit imo.
Sides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sides
Member since 2003 • 4289 Posts

He was a genius, now he has lost his mind and just moans too much.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

"an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart."

I think that says it well enough. The man's the mind behind Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, and Starfox and has had his hand in many others (Metroid Prime). He's basically the entire foundation for one of the gaming's most successful companies. If that doesn't prove that he's a genius, what does?

cloudmip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 cloudmip
Member since 2009 • 240 Posts

IMO, he is a genius. He practically invented gaming... most of his series are still getting new installments. :D

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Yes. He invented everything and his pee can cure any disease.
Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

I like the intro definition of genius at wikipedia "Ageniusis a person, a body of work, or a singular achievement of surpassing excellence." By that definition, in the mind of pretty much anyone who likes video games, the man is should be considered at the least as a person who has created many works of genius. And we are what we do, is one conception of our existence.

He supervised New Super Mario Bros. and Wii Sports Resort this past year, so I can't agree with the comment someone made about the desire to see him go off into retirement or whatever. Instead I wish to see him make games till every ounce of creativity has been extracted, and that day is obviously NOT yet.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
NO Hideo Kojima is a freaking genious.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#21 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
Individuals are given far too much credit in my honest opinion. Making games is a team effort, Miyamato, Kojima, Meier and all the other faces of the game making industry didn't make those games on their own even if they are amazingly talented, in fact without the composers, programmers, artists etc they would have accomplished nothing, no matter how good a concept may be. A group of talented people working together as a team > One genius.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Individuals are given far too much credit in my honest opinion. Making games is a team effort, Miyamato, Kojima, Meier and all the other faces of the game making industry didn't make those games on their own even if they are amazingly talented, in fact without the composers, programmers, artists etc they would have accomplished nothing, no matter how good a concept may be. A group of talented people working together as a team > One genius.AzelKosMos

This is also true man. Super Mario 64 was better because of his input, sure, but the technology behind it was the part I found the most incredible at the time, and that's the part he helped the least.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Individuals are given far too much credit in my honest opinion. Making games is a team effort, Miyamato, Kojima, Meier and all the other faces of the game making industry didn't make those games on their own even if they are amazingly talented, in fact without the composers, programmers, artists etc they would have accomplished nothing, no matter how good a concept may be. A group of talented people working together as a team > One genius.AzelKosMos

I'd have to disagree with you here.Would Mozart's work not be considered genius if he had no symphony orchestra to play it? Sure it would. The fact that others contribute to his (or Miyamoto's) ideas in no way belittles or marginalizes them. The core concept is still a work of genius.They are his creations and ideas. Others help, yes, but under direct supervision from him. I think you're confusing genius with the collective effort it takes to realize it to its fullest potential. The creative process and the work that goes into bringing it to light are two different things.