Is KOTOR considered a RPG?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xbox360God
Member since 2005 • 1106 Posts
A friend and I were debating if Knights of the Old Republic is considered a RPG..According to past historial references and to first RPG games and attributes would it be still considered one? Were not debating if it's a JRPG or WRPG but simply a regular RPG. Not according to modern industry definition but according to the classical definition of the genre RPG and the first RPGs characteristics "please cite sources - no personal opinion or dogma to support a viewpoint"
czort666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 czort666
Member since 2008 • 1767 Posts
Of course not,it's racing game.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts
Knights of the Old Republic is an RPG. Almost all hallmarks and attributes of true RPG's can be found in the game. The combat is even based on AD&D rules.
-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
Knights of the Old Republic is an RPG. Almost all hallmarks and attributes of true RPG's can be found in the game. The combat is even based on AD&D rules.UpInFlames
Exactly. Based on the "modern industry definition" I think you're thinking of KOTOR is more of an RPG than most games out right now. It fits the description of a classic RPG to the letter.
Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xbox360God
my friend still doesn't believe it is since none of you have cited a source or an example...he still believes KOTOR is a action game.
Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
Turn based combat
Ability to upgrade your character's traits and gear
Ability to make choices that impact the story
Emphasis on story telling

Yep it's an RPG. One of the best.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UpInFlames

my friend still doesn't believe it is since none of you have cited a source or an example...he still believes KOTOR is a action game.Xbox360God

Ask your friend to name one action game with a turn-based combat system.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Also action games are strictly linear in most cases. KotoR has tons of dialogue, leveling up, hit points, customizing, and choosing your own adventure gameplay. Yeah, those are all WRPG elements.
Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xbox360God

[QUOTE="Xbox360God"]my friend still doesn't believe it is since none of you have cited a source or an example...he still believes KOTOR is a action game.UpInFlames

He says KOTOR isn't Turn-Based..but probability based like dice...
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 starwarsgeek112
The combat is based off of Dungeons and Dragons.. It is turn based.
loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loumt123
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Xbox360God"]my friend still doesn't believe it is since none of you have cited a source or an example...he still believes KOTOR is a action game.UpInFlames

You're wrong. Also, if you're going to post something as fact, please cite a source. None of you here have done that. It is probability based, not turn based. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loumt123

The combat is based off of Dungeons and Dragons.. It is turn based.starwarsgeek112

The combat is based on D&D. D&D has random chance dice rolling. KOTOR is not turn based. It's real time with random chance dice roles adapted from D&D. Turn based gameplay and probability are not synonymous. D&D is only turn based due to the nature of the game.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UpInFlames

You're wrong. Also, if you're going to post something as fact, please cite a source. None of you here have done that. It is probability based, not turn based. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.loumt123

I'm going to assume that you're "the friend". The combat system in Knights of the Old Republic is turn-based.

From Wikipedia:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) is a role-playing game developed by BioWare and published by LucasArts.

This game's system is based on Wizards of the Coast's Star Wars Roleplaying Game, which is based on the d20role-playing game system derived from the Third Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules. Combat is round-based; time is divided into discrete rounds, and combatants attack and react simultaneously. However, the number of actions a combatant may perform each round is limited. While each round's duration is a fixed short interval of real time, the player can configure the combat system to pause at specific events or at the end of each round.

Note the number of times the term "role-playing" is mentioned. Sorry to inform you, but these are widely known facts and you're the one who doesn't have a clue on the subject. I also find it hilarious that you're the one who demands sources when you're the one making silly claims such as labeling a role-playing game as an action game.

loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loumt123

Wikipedia isn't a valid source, buddy. Got a dev quote? Also, you may want to check the nature of REAL RPGS prior to D&D. D&D was not the first RPG... Your opinion on what constitutes an RPG is subjective, not based on history or fact.

Also, that statement doesn't support your theory of turn based. Turn based is not the same as round based gameplay.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UpInFlames

D&D is only turn based due to the nature of the game.loumt123

You do understand that you've just acknowledged that D&D is turn-based?

loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loumt123

[QUOTE="loumt123"]D&D is only turn based due to the nature of the game.UpInFlames

Yes, but D&D is a game played with paper and dice...it's of a totally different nature than KOTOR. KOTOR is based on D&D rules...it's not D&D. And, again, you've used to notion of round based gameplay to support your theory of turn based gameplay. The two are different. During turn based gameplay, combatants don't attack simultaneously...

Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xbox360God

[QUOTE="loumt123"]D&D is only turn based due to the nature of the game.UpInFlames

i seriously think he can't admit defeat..i've been telling him this
loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loumt123

As an addition to my prior post, just to make sure you read this, I'd like a quote from the developer that supports your opinion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UpInFlames

From the developer:

Immersive, action-packed Star Wars role playing experience with customizable and evolving playable characters.

loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 loumt123

From the developer:

Immersive, action-packed Star Wars role playing experience with customizable and evolving playable characters.

UpInFlames

And that validates your opinion on turn based gameplay in what way? And, even if one were to consider it an RPG, it would be in the grey area of action RPG, and, IMO, it's certainly more action than RPG. It's certainly not the classical definition of an RPG.

starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 starwarsgeek112
From the GS review:

Combat appears to be in real time but actually uses a turn-based system "under the hood" just like Neverwinter Nights, which means that your character's statistics and attributes (and your strategy) make all the difference, and your personal reflexes and hand-eye coordination have no bearing on the outcome.
loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 loumt123

Kotor's combat runs in real time but it's turn based.. starwarsgeek112

Do you have a developer quote to support this? How can it run in real time and be turn based? It can, however, run in real time and be probability based. It could also be round based, but being round based does not mean it is turn based. When combatants attack simulataneously, that's not turn based.

loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loumt123

From the GS review:

Combat appears to be in real time but actually uses a turn-based system "under the hood" just like Neverwinter Nights, which means that your character's statistics and attributes (and your strategy) make all the difference, and your personal reflexes and hand-eye coordination have no bearing on the outcome. starwarsgeek112

Obvious the interviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. Since when did turn-based mean you character's statistics and attributes make all the difference? Turn based simply means combatants take turns with their actions. In KOTOR, you must admit combatants DO attack simultaneously. How is that turn based? It's round based, and again, round based gameplay is not turn based. And where did he get his information on the combat system from? How do we know it's not just an observation.

I'm not saying KOTOR is a bad game, but there are far too many misconceptions.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UpInFlames

And that validates your opinion on turn based gameplay in what way? And, even if one were to consider it an RPG, it would be in the grey area of action RPG, and, IMO, it's certainly more action than RPG. It's certainly not the classical definition of an RPG.loumt123

An action RPG is still an RPG. But Knights of the Old Republic isn't an action RPG, something like Diablo fits that description and the two aren't all that similar.

Also, what you need to understand that the term RPG when used in the context of video games cannot be equated to the the same term when used in the context of pen and paper RPG's. Video game RPG's are based on and are influenced by the ideas, hallmarks and attributes of pen and paper RPG's, but they are not one and the same.

starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 starwarsgeek112

[QUOTE="starwarsgeek112"]From the GS review:

Combat appears to be in real time but actually uses a turn-based system "under the hood" just like Neverwinter Nights, which means that your character's statistics and attributes (and your strategy) make all the difference, and your personal reflexes and hand-eye coordination have no bearing on the outcome. loumt123

Obvious the interviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. Since when did turn-based mean you character's statistics and attributes make all the difference? Turn based simply means combatants take turns with their actions. In KOTOR, you must admit combatants DO attack simultaneously. How is that turn based? It's round based, and again, round based gameplay is not turn based. And where did he get his information on the combat system from? How do we know it's not just an observation.

....Alright well why don't you find the developer's saying otherwise. Also whether or not the combat is turn-based it is still an RPG, it's like Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights with a Star Wars skin.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

The game is a RPG game.

1. It holds RPG elements such as Attributes, skills, traits, A leveling system and upgradable weapons and armor.

2. http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic/game_info/game_features/ Read the official developer site Game features, preferably the place where it stands that it is a role playing game.

3. Go to bed.

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
If you played KotOR correctly, it was turn based. If not, you pretended a turn based game was realtime. Congrats! I couldn't do that.
loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 loumt123

We do know that Bioware considers KOTOR an action RPG. My issue is people thinking it's a bonafide, hardcore RPG. In all honesty, you must admit there is more action than RPG, and the RPG elements that are there are awfully shallow compared to other games. This is just my opinion, though.

However, those stating elements of KOTORS system and engine to be fact might want to do some more research...or not spew off answers so quickly as I've quickly shot them down. Give me a developers opinion or some logic and I'll listen. (Not trying to be cocky or condescending, just realistic).

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UpInFlames

In KOTOR, you must admit combatants DO attack simultaneously. How is that turn based? It's round based, and again, round based gameplay is not turn based. And where did he get his information on the combat system from? How do we know it's not just an observation.loumt123

If you really pay attention to the game, you'll see that no two combatants strike or make a move at the same time. For example, first the main character makes a move, then enemy 1, then enemy 2, friendly NPC 1, enemy 3, friendly 2, etc. It plays off fairly fast, but it's still noticeable. It's turn-based albeit under-the-hood as noted. Also, round-based is the same exact thing as turn-based.
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 starwarsgeek112

We do know that Bioware considers KOTOR an action RPG. My issue is people thinking it's a bonafide, hardcore RPG. In all honesty, you must admit there is more action than RPG, and the RPG elements that are there are awfully shallow compared to other games. This is just my opinion, though.

However, those stating elements of KOTORS system and engine to be fact might want to do some more research...or not spew off answers so quickly as I've quickly shot them down. Give me a developers opinion or some logic and I'll listen. (Not trying to be cocky or condescending, just realistic).

loumt123

We are giving you answers that are things the developers have stated. Also things that are easily noticable when you play the game. You are coming up with no evidence for your argument. How is it not turn based? Round based is the same exact thing, and you seem to think they are different. Please state what a bonafide hardcore RPG is cause I don't see how KOTOR isn't one.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
If I remember correctly, don't they even show you how the force powers are determined, such as hit ratio, damage, length based on skill and level, etc, etc? I mean, if that's not considered a part of a RPG game, what is?
TrojanMan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TrojanMan10
Member since 2005 • 66 Posts
yes its an RPG one of my favorite epic ones infact. Great game there are definetly slight strategy parts tho determining which side you want to go to...
andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts
Most games are RPGs cos you're playing out roles, Halo is an RPG cos you're takingon the role of Masterchief, i think outside the box :D
duckiesarefun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 duckiesarefun
Member since 2008 • 77 Posts
This thread makes my day.
Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xbox360God
lol, he's away at night class..but i'm sure he'll find some way to "discredit".... like the RPG awards it won in 2003 wasn't enough to clarify it as a RPG. He believes the same thing with Fallout 3.
duckiesarefun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 duckiesarefun
Member since 2008 • 77 Posts
What are some games he thinks are RPGs?
loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 loumt123
[QUOTE="loumt123"]

starwarsgeek112

We are giving you answers that are things the developers have stated. Also things that are easily noticable when you play the game. You are coming up with no evidence for your argument. How is it not turn based? Round based is the same exact thing, and you seem to think they are different. Please state what a bonafide hardcore RPG is cause I don't see how KOTOR isn't one.

Not ONE of your answers are from Bioware. I've seen a review from gamestop, an uncited source from wikipedia, and a description of the game. That's not exactly from the developers, and I'm not sure how you got the idea they were from the devs.

I can spout off one very important reason why it's not turn based - combatants cannot perform actions simultaneously in a turn based RPG. If anything, it's round based, which if it is is very unnoticeable because it runs in more of a real time manner. Round based is absolutely not the same as turn based, so I don't know where you heard that. If anyone can find a quote from Bioware developers describing the gameplay of KOTOR, I welcome it. However, the bulk of you just want to run your mouths without posting anything useful. Yawn, it's old. I've been on enough forums to get over the 14 year old know it all trolls:roll:. Anyway, regardless of the method used, it's much more of an action game with weak RPG elements than an authentic, hardcore RPG. It's short, shallow, and confined. RPG elements are hardly pronounced and much more overshadowed by action elements.

Anyway, one thing the developer has described KOTOR as is an action RPG. We can agree on that. I just happen to think it's much more an action game with weak RPG implementations. Because of this, I don't believe it deserves the acclaim it has received as an "RPG." It simply lacks the depth of RPG elements. It's by no means a bad game, it's just not a very good RPG. If you want to play a real RPG, try one of the Persona games. They are menu based (a characteristic of historical RPGs - used to distinguish an RPG game from an action game) and put much more emphasis on true RPG elements and less emphasis on making a more complex action game.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
[QUOTE="anmvamp"]

hahahaha

this is the best post ever.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the game it self is a pretty good source. One can't deny that it consists of leveling up, attribute distribution, and turned based combat (each attack is based off a 'dice roll'). Seriously, when kids start getting this defensive when proven wrong... i giggle to myself.

loumt123

You, sir, are an idiot. Your post serves no other purpose than to mindlessly ridicule. If you did some research, you'd find KOTOR is loosely based on D&D rules, the backbone of which is probability, such as in a dice roll. And, though some of those characteristics are present, they are horrendously weak. Any RPG fan would argue the RPG elements are shallow. Doesn't make it a bad game, but that doesn't make for a great RPG experience.

So, you can stop being a sarcastic little prick and provide something of value to the debate.:roll:

So, you're saying that KOTOR has those elements, that are horrendously weak. Wouldn't that mean then that you're admitting that the game has those elements, hense forth making it an RPG?

loumt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 loumt123

It has those elements, but the action elements are much more pronounced then the RPG elements, in my honest opinion. As a result, I would classify it as an action game with RPG elements. However, some people mistakenly assume action RPGs are authentic RPGs when they are, in fact, action games with RPG elements. KOTOR might have been a good action game, but it wasn't one of the better RPGs I've played, and I've played many of many of them. I don't understand why it's so overrated and why people think it's a legitimate, full fledged RPG. Is it because of its easy accessibility and "casual feel?"

In conclusion, KOTOR is first and foremost an action game....not an RPG. To compare it to other RPGs, such as the Shin Megami Tensei series, is pure murder.

Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xbox360God
For the record, i showed loumt123 via aim this gameplay footage of KOTOR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjxiUVJsu4&feature=related) to show how KOTOR has a type of Menu-based since he believes a RPG must have menus in order to consider one...He still denys it.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
What's with all of the KOTOR topics? Was there recent news about the Old Republic MMORPG or something?
Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xbox360God
What's with all of the KOTOR topics? Was there recent news about the Old Republic MMORPG or something?SpaceMoose
No, a friend and I have been debating if the first KOTOR game is considered an RPG.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"]What's with all of the KOTOR topics? Was there recent news about the Old Republic MMORPG or something?Xbox360God
No, a friend and I have been debating if the first KOTOR game is considered an RPG.

Well, anyway, I don't see how it could be considered anything but. It's a role playing game in pretty much every sense of the word. The combat, if uninterrupted, just makes it not really look like one.
Xbox360God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Xbox360God
[QUOTE="Xbox360God"][QUOTE="SpaceMoose"]What's with all of the KOTOR topics? Was there recent news about the Old Republic MMORPG or something?SpaceMoose

Well, anyway, I don't see how it could be considered anything but. It's a role playing game in pretty much every sense of the word. The combat, if uninterrupted, just makes it not really look like one.

everyone agrees besides my one friend still....
HollywoodRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#49 HollywoodRPG
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts
I find it quite humorous that people are taking so much offense to this topic and getting so wound up over something that really makes absolutely no difference. If you like the game then that's great...go play it and have fun. If you dislike the game then put it away and don't play it again. It really shouldn't matter what anyone "considers" a game to be. Titles are put in place to help the consumer find a game that fits into the genre he/she enjoys. This game is "considered," as you have said, to be an action RPG. This would indicate to those who enjoy action or RPG games that this game might be worth a try. Would you prefer more sub-titles such as "almost-completely-action-but-with-very-small-traces-of-role-playing-game"? That my friend is just a mouthful. Although I guess we could shorten it to ACABWVSTRPG.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

Anyway, one thing the developer has described KOTOR as is an action RPG. We can agree on that.

loumt123

Got an official developer quote on that? I mean, you wouldn't have brought it up if you didn't, but you might as well post it anyway.

In any case, how would you define an action game, or an action RPG? I mean, sure, KOTOR was a shallow RPG, but it didn't have a real-time combat system, and more emphasis was placed on storytelling than the combat or loot-collecting, which are obvious signs of action RPGs.