Is it just me or?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

im-so-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 im-so-trunk
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts
Is GS kind of becoming slower in updating and staying current? I mean I understand they are undergoing alot of inhouses changes but it's a business and you really can't let that effect the quality of the product. i just feel lately that GS has been slower in getting reviews (which seems few and far between these days too) up, the site seems to be lacking the pizazz it once had. I kind of expected a St.Paddy's day feature or something today, but it looks like not much has changed since Friday. I'm not bashing or anything, but before you come to their quick defense you must realize that this is a business with business hours, it's not some guys doing this as a hobby. I'm just saying I hope they can pick up the slack because I like the site but it's not what it once was.
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

Trust me, It is not just you thinking these things. I have noticed the same thing. I can understand, however, the fact that the reviews are taking forever. What really sucks though is the fact that it seems like the community is starting to really dip. It is really slowing down. :(

*EDIT* - Grammar

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
Its because they have no reviewers left. All the sweet people left the side, they are are more or less left with nothing. Its like starting over for them. Take a look at that new weirdo Lark...where did he come from?
AFS-Marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 AFS-Marc
Member since 2006 • 510 Posts
They are just in a rebuilding stage. That's what happens when you lose some of your main reviewers. Don't be so impatient, just give them time to get their S*** together. Getting reviews wriiten and edited (and making videos for some) isn't that easy. So just wait and reviews will be posted when they're posted.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TheGreatGuero
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts
Yeah, dude. They lost a lot of their staff, it's gonna take some time for them to rebuild. So the guys still there are probably working extra hard. Give them a break. Quality over quantity, people!
VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
It's just you, this is a completely unique observation that only you have made.
im-so-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 im-so-trunk
They are just in a rebuilding stage. That's what happens when you lose some of your main reviewers. Don't be so impatient, just give them time to get their S*** together. Getting reviews wriiten and edited (and making videos for some) isn't that easy. So just wait and reviews will be posted when they're posted.AFS-Marc
Well I mean this is a business, would you go into Walmart and if they had barely anything in stock would you be ok with them going "Well, we just lost our manager, and like 5 other really important guys" I think you're holding them to a different standard because you feel like they're doing you a favor. You of all people should be mad, you're a subscriber, this is the equivalent to a magazine not putting out issues on time or skipping issues. If Sports Illustrated skipped a week because they lost a few editors, I'd be pissed. GS is supposed to be the premier game site, or so they claim, not being up to date is not cool. I get that you feel for them, but what if ESPN.com started doing this, and so on, the only reason you cut them slack is because it's not a faceless site, you feel like you know these guys. In all honesty I'm sure they're working real hard, I'm not doubting that, I'm just saying it's not cutting it. I mean I know a bit about journalism myself, and the internal rumbling of a publication should never effect the quality of the product. Someone said "quality over quantity" well that's a good point, but it doesn't cut it. Like I said this not a bunch of guys doing this for fun, this is a company, they should produce quality and quantity. I'm just saying I'm not satisfied with the current product, and I'm sure some of them aren't either.
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts

It's just you, this is a completely unique observation that only you have made.VegetaJr

lolsarcasm

jamestabang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 jamestabang
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
Gamespot takes their time and are more careful and objective in their reviewing of newer games, unlike during the late 1990s. And that's good, because it will make the review more reliable (hopefully).
VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VegetaJr

Well I mean this is a business, would you go into Walmart and if they had barely anything in stock would you be ok with them going "Well, we just lost our manager, and like 5 other really important guys"im-so-trunk

I would go and get the same products elsewhere, maybe for a higher price, but with better customer service for sure. If Gamespot isn't cutting it right now for reviews, use another site and come check the place back out later. Wal-Mart doesn't need to look for well educated journalists to stock their shelves, the average Wal-Mart employee is a regular Joe Schmoe, and guys like Ryan Davis, Jeff G, and company are not average people. It will take time to get things rolling again, and if you can't handle that, then I should point out the door leading out of Gamespot is as wide open as the one that lead you in to this site

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Why get mad? It's not like there's a shortage of reviews around. Plus, I'd rather have quality writing rather than up-to-date reviews.

im-so-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 im-so-trunk

[QUOTE="im-so-trunk"]Well I mean this is a business, would you go into Walmart and if they had barely anything in stock would you be ok with them going "Well, we just lost our manager, and like 5 other really important guys"VegetaJr

I would go and get the same products elsewhere, maybe for a higher price, but with better customer service for sure. If Gamespot isn't cutting it right now for reviews, use another site and come check the place back out later. Wal-Mart doesn't need to look for well educated journalists to stock their shelves, the average Wal-Mart employee is a regular Joe Schmoe, and guys like Ryan Davis, Jeff G, and company are not average people. It will take time to get things rolling again, and if you can't handle that, then I should point out the door leading out of Gamespot is as wide open as the one that lead you in to this site

I was using Wal-Mart as an easily indentifiable example. The idea carries else where though, there are plenty of other places where this hold true, with "skilled" positions too if you will. Basically the idea workds in any business, you can't let the movement in the company effect your business. And to be quite frank it's not like there are only six guys who work in this game journalism industry, it is an industry like any other littered with thousands of workers.

As for the quality over quantity arguement. GS should give us both, you should not be forced to forfeited either quality or quantity, like I said this is a business and quite frankly other sites are producing both quality and quantiy at a very consistent pace. It's not impossible, GS once did it themselves, but now I find it's taking much longer to get any form of quality, and the quantity of it is laughable.

I don't understand why you all take this as a personal attack. I've been coming here sine the late 2000's on a consisent basis, GS was unbelievable back then, now I'm demanding they make it just as good. When you sympathize for them you enable them, you allow them to put out this sub-par product that you accept with the same open arms apparently as before. You give the writers and editors no incentive to make it better again, if you truely enjoy the good GS you would not except the product they are giving us now.

Like I said, I've been coming here for years and getting what I've always thought was a great site, and now I'm not and I feel I have the right to say something about it. Some of you probably assume since I'm not a subscriber then I have no room to talk, actually that's not the truth at all. You see GS makes the majority of there money through website ads, and by coming here every single one of us is giving them money in some little way or another by giving them high traffic. I know some of you have suggested taking myself some where else, and maybe I do need to do that. But if you actually like GS then you should probably consider it too...

VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VegetaJr
I think you're taking a website about videogames on the internet a tad too seriously, to be perfectly frank. They have a lack of editiors right now, it's slow. Like I said, you can either tolerate it, or you can't. It's not tough to decide, and no matter which way you decide to go, it isn't a big deal, because it's just a website.
im-so-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 im-so-trunk
I think you're taking a website about videogames on the internet a tad too seriously, to be perfectly frank. They have a lack of editiors right now, it's slow. Like I said, you can either tolerate it, or you can't. It's not tough to decide, and no matter which way you decide to go, it isn't a big deal, because it's just a website.VegetaJr
Why is it whenever someone writes an intelligent and maybe lengthy rubutal they're taking it too seriously? I'm not taking it too seriously, I'm saying it's BS that they are being inconsistent and I shouldn't have to concern myself with their company changes because of it. I come here to look at game information I should get that and not be given some lame ass excuse.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Should I call the Waaaaaaambulance? If you didn't have such a vague thread title this would have been locked. Lord knows how many threads we've had on this, but it is getting really old to see people not clueing in to the fact that GS is running a skeleton crew right now. No amount of whining threads is going to change that. All it does is clutter up a forum that is supposed to be about discussing games, not discussing gamespot.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
You are not the first one to notice this. This site has declined, but it will soon recover when they get some new staff.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
quality of the product? :lol: GS hasnt been a quality product for like atleast 3 years
VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VegetaJr

It's spelled rebuttal. You're taking it too seriously because you seem to be hung up on a website about a hobby. You asked why it was slow, the only answer thats been given for this was given to you, so what else do you want, exactly? You have the answer for the slow arrival of new material, at this point it's a take it or leave it situation for you. What do you hope to accomplish by pushing the issue? Getting a bunch of people to leave? A bunch of people already have been leaving, and nothing you're saying or doing is going to change the minds of the people who decided to stay in the last few months. You're beating a dead horse. Bury the poor thing and do whatever you feel like you have to do. You aren't saying anything that hasn't been said already, and you're accomplishing nothing.

You missed the party on this whole thing, it's done, and Gamespot is trying to pull it back together. If you don't want to stick around for it, you don't have to. If you want to leave forever, do so. If you want to just go elsewhere for a few weeks and come back to see whats up later, GS will still be here. I'm saying you're taking it too seriously because you ARE. You asked a question, and it was answered. Do what you need to do with that information, and have a good day. if you think it's just a "lame ass excuse", well then, stick it to them and leave.

buckybuckster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 buckybuckster
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

Yes things here are kinda slow right now, however as a good friend in management used to tell his customers when he wouldn't give them what they wanted, threatening to take their business elsewhere..."You are the consumer, you have the right to do business with me or with someone else."

Didn't make him any friends, although it would give me a good laugh. And the thing is, he's right. No one is forcing you to continue to be a patron of this site. It's not like you don't have any other options. If GS is failing to provide you with the level of experience you desire, then why not check out some other gaming sites, lord knows there's plenty of them. Then, once you given GS some time to "get their act together", you can come back to see if it gives you the old buzz that it used to give you, the one that made you want to become a part of the community in the first place.

Give 'em time and I'm sure that will happen.