I'm still playing the GBA !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cSection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cSection
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts

I had one about 6 years ago and played it alot.

I recently bought a second hand GBA SP on ebay for about £7 I've recently bought a few games for it, advance wars, minish cap, harvest moon and I'm having a blast!

I'm currently playing it more than my PS3 with red dead/gta/MvC/COD

It's just so nice to sit down anywhere, pick up and play, and there's some real classic GBA games out there that can be had for cheap.

Anyone else still keeping the spirit alive on the gba?

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

All of my GBA games are gone so no I don't play it that much anymore. However I re-bought sonic advance and Yoshi's Island about 3 months ago. I hardly play it anymore but I do play Sonic Advance on rare occasions. It would be nice if I still had all my gba games.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
i've been trading my GBA games on goozex and playswap keeping only some classics like metroid and golden sun. It was a great console though
BackOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BackOn
Member since 2010 • 94 Posts
gba is nice :) i still play kh:com at gba
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

IMO GBA is stiil agreat console and though not technically impressive today,can be used every now and then to revisit the old-school classics.And besides getting hold of one is the most cost-effective option to experience handheld gaming.Good for people who can't afford an I-Phone or PSP at the moment but still want to indulge in a bit of "gaming on the go".But availability of titles is worry though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Anyone else still keeping the spirit alive on the gba?

cSection

Yep. I got the sp on launch day, and it continues to be my go-to portable. I own a psp and a ds, but they just don't feel sturdy enough. I ride a bike, and while I'll occasionally bring the ds/psp with me, the gba sp is just the better designed portable. I am, however, looking for a new game to play for the gba. I have played Mario Golf TO DEATH, and need another game that is a pick up and play/time waster/easy to learn hard to master type of game. I've beat mario world/3 countless times, and I really want to pick them up, but whenever I see them they are near $30. Gamestops website listes them for $23. For some reason I have a hard time justifying that.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

GBA SP is still a nice handheld with lots of great games.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
I love GBA :D many great games, and love the fact I can play GB and GBC as well :) so the possibilities are unlimitted
Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

I still use mine fairly often for Metroid Fusion speedruns and the GBA Castlevania games.

reifresca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 reifresca
Member since 2010 • 351 Posts
Just recently started playing again. Played through Fire Emblem for the first time. It's really good.
M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#11 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

Yes, I still have my SP and play it occasionally. I recently played through Golden Sun for the first time.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I used to love my GBA. The best handheld ever made, hands down. At least the SP model is. The backlit screen doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal, but it makes a world of difference. The graphics are finally high-quality 2D (we suffered through the original and color Gameboys for far too long). Tons of great original GBA games like Metroid: Fusion, Zelda: The Minnish Cap, Sonic Advance 1-3, and others. But what makes it even better is all the NES, SNES, and even Genesis re-releases we got: Super Mario Advance 1-4, Metroid: Zero Mission, Zelda: A Link to the Past, NES Classic Series, Final Fantasy re-releases, Doom, Metal Slug Advance, Mega Man Collection, Sonic Gems, Sega Collection, and so many more.

The backwards compatibility with Game Boy and Gameboy Color games was awesome! Not only could you play them, but if you had the SP model, it enhanced those games greatly with the backlit screen. A rare example of a console with backwards compatibility that actually runs the game better than the original console it was made for.

I used to play my handhelds a lot on the bus and during downtime at my old job. But I don't work there anymore and I have a car now. So my handhelds don't get nearly the use they used to get.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

I used to love my GBA. The best handheld ever made, hands down. At least the SP model is. The backlit screen doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal, but it makes a world of difference. The graphics are finally high-quality 2D (we suffered through the original and color Gameboys for far too long). Tons of great original GBA games like Metroid: Fusion, Zelda: The Minnish Cap, Sonic Advance 1-3, and others. But what makes it even better is all the NES, SNES, and even Genesis re-releases we got: Super Mario Advance 1-4, Metroid: Zero Mission, Zelda: A Link to the Past, NES Classic Series, Final Fantasy re-releases, Doom, Metal Slug Advance, Mega Man Collection, Sonic Gems, Sega Collection, and so many more.

The backwards compatibility with Game Boy and Gameboy Color games was awesome! Not only could you play them, but if you had the SP model, it enhanced those games greatly with the backlit screen. A rare example of a console with backwards compatibility that actually runs the game better than the original console it was made for.

I used to play my handhelds a lot on the bus and during downtime at my old job. But I don't work there anymore and I have a car now. So my handhelds don't get nearly the use they used to get.

Emerald_Warrior
personally I think that the Doom games on GBA are pretty bad
cSection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cSection

Great to here some likeminded experiences.

I've been stung a few times on ebay buying what I thought were genuine GBA carts but turned out to be fakes. Luckily I got my money back but on the whole if you know what to look out for and shop carefully(my exposure to the fake carts I bought made it easy to spot them when shopping on ebay next time) you can pick up some cheap genuine games.

Looking to get Pokemon and Final Fantasy IV at some stage but ATM advance wars is sucking the hours away.

DEFINITELY the best handheld I've played.

Juxhe1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Juxhe1
Member since 2006 • 1021 Posts
The old Gameboy advance sp is one of the best handhelds out there. Games which I like replaying are Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy VI which shouldn't be missed .
DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Am playing through the Legend of Zelda Links Awakening now on my GBA SP :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

I agree. Those older style of games just cater very well to handhelds, imo. Though I will say I prefer the front-lit SP model. The back-lit model was better than no light, but most of the times it was just too bright and ended up actually washing out the image somewhat--it gave the image an overly contrasted look which I didn't like.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

Ahh the GBA. I busted out some Golden Sun since the new one is comingout soon. So anyhow the GBA is still awesome I think.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

GBA>DS

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Not playing anything on the GBA at the moment, but there are a few GBA must-haves on my need-to-buy list.

blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#21 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
Yes I loved my sp, but its got dust now that I have a ds lite. I still play advance wars, final fantasy, and some other fun games. :)
Twystify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Twystify
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I love my GBA, though I now play most of my games on the DS. Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, they all take up whatever free time I have unless I'm really into a new console game.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#23 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i still own all of my legacy consoles i ever bought ,

or have rebought the ones i sold lol which is only referin to snes , that was the only console i ever sold ,and i regreted it , and i still play them now today

cSection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cSection

I agree, I still love the snes, which is partly why I love the GBA so much - the rehash of old snes classics and also the newer games were still good.

The snes console itself still doesn't look it's age, it's timeless.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

My wife usually plays my GBA more than me, she's a master at Zelda:Link to the Past. But whenever I get some time on it I'll pick it up, but when I can't get it from her grip. I can atleast still play the games on my DS.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#26 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

Am playing through the Legend of Zelda Links Awakening now on my GBA SP :)

DiminixZor

good stuff. possibly my favourite ever zelda game, still have my original gameboy edition.

i dont really play my old gameboy games that much anymore, but there is no way im selling them. my partner even tried to put my old games and such in the loft, as you can imagine i was most upset..

CptJuancho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 CptJuancho
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts
Me too! Advance Wars FTW!