IGN reviews Tomb Raider(7.8) and Puzzle League DS(9.0)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

This review looks really IGNorant to me:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/793/793666p2.html

It seems like he doesn't grasp what TR is supposed to be.

Then there's the high-end of the spectrum, Puzzle League DS getting a 9.0, although I take it with some salt since they gave Tetris DS a 9 as well.  Although online is a big selling point, moreso than the original Tetris.  Now they need to put Tetrisphere on the DS, I never played it, and I want to.

I'm getting both titles, since I was a both fans of the original Tomb Raider and Tetris Attack. 

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
Ohh man I loved Tetris Attack. Tomb Raider was great too, not so sure the new one offers much that makes it worth owning though. Might great for a nice weekend rental.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

Ohh man I loved Tetris Attack. Tomb Raider was great too, not so sure the new one offers much that makes it worth owning though. Might great for a nice weekend rental._Bear

I think the original's a classic, it's just the graphics and controls make it tough to go back to.  I always had an itch to play through the game again, simply because the levels were so well done. 

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
I expected similar reviews for both games. I will alos be picking up both titles probably on launch day.
Darkwing_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Darkwing_Duck
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

This review looks really IGNorant to me:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/793/793666p2.html

It seems like he doesn't grasp what TR is supposed to be.

Then there's the high-end of the spectrum, Puzzle League DS getting a 9.0, although I take it with some salt since they gave Tetris DS a 9 as well. Although online is a big selling point, moreso than the original Tetris. Now they need to put Tetrisphere on the DS, I never played it, and I want to.

I'm getting both titles, since I was a both fans of the original Tomb Raider and Tetris Attack.

trifecta_basic

You'd have to really screw up PdP/TA/PPL, or any variation of Tetris Attack.  I'd like to know the frame rate for the game.  I'm much better at Tetris Attack than Pokemon Puzzle League since I go for more midair slips and late slips than I should and TA has a slower frame rate, giving me a split second longer to do those moves.  

In any case, online is a selling point.  Vs. is pretty worthless, though, at high level play.  Vs. Time Trial is more exciting.  Evenly matched players going after that last chain.  I'm curious on the point system.  TA was glitched in the fact that anything over x13 gives you zero points.  I'm not sure if bonuses were glitches, too.  If you clear any panels not part of the chain, you get the points for whatever part of the chain you're on.  For example, if you get a x6 chain.  If you clear three panels independent of that chain, you'll get x6 points for that clear.  That's how your really score in Tetris Attack.  I can't get x13 consisntently enough to get near the 60,000 Time Trial eliteness.  Best is 32,000.  

I know in PPL, points were given past x13.  Unsure about the bonuses, though.  I still will probably buy it, though. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Tomb Raider's review sounded like a fair assessment of a conservative remake of a game whose formula has been improved upon in the decade since its release.  I've kept an eye on the series (TR1 was incredible by the standards of its day), but I haven't picked up a TR since 3, and it doesn't sound like the latest will induce me to break the pattern.