If the current Nintendo staff were in charge in the 90's..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 killerneub
Member since 2010 • 214 Posts

If the staff that runs Nintendo today were in charge back in their NES/SNES/N64 era would they have been as successful?

>> I don't know if it's just me but it seems like they have changed a lot. 

> Their old games and systems were awesome, nastalgia aside, and today it feels like there are targeting kids and moms.. or something?

>> IDK I just miss the N64 days playing Goldeneye and MK64 knowing they had games that looked and played better than the competition. 

Diarma10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Diarma10
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts

The N64 had the best quality to games ratio of any console. This coming from a Saturn nut. But it could have been better had they the guts to put more memory into the console at launch (not forgetting to put a third party pleasing CDROM drive). Even Myamato complained that the N64 was under powered for Mario 64 and he had to make compromises to the game as a result. So I really don't think Nintendo management have changed that much. The marketing to families and mothers is due to the Wii interface alone, nothing else.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

If the staff that runs Nintendo today were in charge back in their NES/SNES/N64 era would they have been as successful?

>> I don't know if it's just me but it seems like they have changed a lot. 

> Their old games and systems were awesome, nastalgia aside, and today it feels like there are targeting kids and moms.. or something?

>> IDK I just miss the N64 days playing Goldeneye and MK64 knowing they had games that looked and played better than the competition. 

killerneub

Nostalgoggles aside, isn't it good that there's a less convoluted market but more fierce competition in the industry? As much as I loved Nintendo back in the day, if they aren't making good games or hardware that appeals anymore then maybe thats because they've just run out of steam or just can't compete with mS or Sony. Now they hqve to commit to gimmicky motion control based systems and the same flagship titles. Although they'll still make money I hope. As gay as this sounds, I think Nintendo is the heart and sweet soul of gaming.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
The powerglove probably would've been a mandatory accessory for the SNES, and the system would've failed due to the high price tag. I love my SNES just the way it is...
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Um, since when did Nintendo not target kids and families?

As far as I know some (still) consider N64 and NGC "kiddy" systems. ;)

You may not like the Wii but it was a cash cow for Nintendo whereas the NGC was a stuggling system.

So it was obvious they would follow the footsteps of the Wii.

Altho I would agree that the approach they had before was more appealing to me.

Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

The Gamecube didn't sell as well as it's competition, so they felt it was time for a new, unique idea, and it worked. It's not just because of new staff. I mean Miyamoto was a big developer since the NES and still is. I know a lot of the staff definitely did change, but that isn't the sole reason Nintendo changed direction.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killerneub

That was kind of my point, the Cube wasn't wrong by the specs of the build though. It was on par with the xbox looking at RE4.

My point was their direction and drive on appealing to, not just gamers, but 3rd party devs. It's part of why rare left and we didn't get DKR :(

They deviated drastically. Is mario a kiddy game?? Really it wasn't in the beginning. Sure you smashed turtles and used flowers to shoot fire but.

Starting with the GCube era they started introducing .. characters that looked a bit.. soft? or a word I can't say on here. 

> look at the cover art of mario games over time and you'll see. Paper Mario for the GC..wtf the characters didn't fit in at all and they are still going

that route. New super mario brothers.. not a bad game but the music ahhh what?? why? and the turtles jumping on cue, wayy too cutsie, am I alone in this?

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nameless12345

That was kind of my point, the Cube wasn't wrong by the specs of the build though. It was on par with the xbox looking at RE4.

My point was their direction and drive on appealing to, not just gamers, but 3rd party devs. It's part of why rare left and we didn't get DKR :(

They deviated drastically. Is mario a kiddy game?? Really it wasn't in the beginning. Sure you smashed turtles and used flowers to shoot fire but.

Starting with the GCube era they started introducing .. characters that looked a bit.. soft? or a word I can't say on here. 

> look at the cover art of mario games over time and you'll see. Paper Mario for the GC..wtf the characters didn't fit in at all and they are still going

that route. New super mario brothers.. not a bad game but the music ahhh what?? why? and the turtles jumping on cue, wayy too cutsie, am I alone in this?

killerneub

I'm not sure what you mean...

8-bit Mario:

Mario.png

16-bit:

ca4be661e18ebe39451b1dc68091a605

64-bit:

mario64.png

"128-bit":

super-mario-sunshine.jpg

Yeah, he changed but he's still fundamentally the same...

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
The powerglove probably would've been a mandatory accessory for the SNES, and the system would've failed due to the high price tag. I love my SNES just the way it is...superclocked
Well see, the Powerglove was not made my Nintendo, and since Mattel spend I believe $500 on it, Nintendo would have to pay Mattel $300+ for each one and probably give royalties. At the current SNES price bak in the day, nintendo would have been bankrupt buy year 3.
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 killerneub

[QUOTE="killerneub"]

nameless12345

I'm not sure what you mean...

8-bit Mario:

Mario.png

16-bit:

ca4be661e18ebe39451b1dc68091a605

64-bit:

mario64.png

"128-bit":

super-mario-sunshine.jpg

Yeah, he changed but he's still fundamentally the same...

NOOOO... not mario himself but the other characters,enemies, side characters, new mini-characters and how they are

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killerneub
[QUOTE="superclocked"]The powerglove probably would've been a mandatory accessory for the SNES, and the system would've failed due to the high price tag. I love my SNES just the way it is...NationProtector
Well see, the Powerglove was not made my Nintendo, and since Mattel spend I believe $500 on it, Nintendo would have to pay Mattel $300+ for each one and probably give royalties. At the current SNES price bak in the day, nintendo would have been bankrupt buy year 3.

Uhh well hypothetical gone too far I think.. but even so it would not have cost Nintendo 300 a piece to put a powerglove in every box haha
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

The N64 had the best quality to games ratio of any console. This coming from a Saturn nut. But it could have been better had they the guts to put more memory into the console at launch (not forgetting to put a third party pleasing CDROM drive). Even Myamato complained that the N64 was under powered for Mario 64 and he had to make compromises to the game as a result. So I really don't think Nintendo management have changed that much. The marketing to families and mothers is due to the Wii interface alone, nothing else.

Diarma10
lol no. The N64 had a terrible library. Out of its 400 games, only about 20 or so were good.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

The competition back then was different, so who knows...

Bongardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bongardo
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

[QUOTE="Diarma10"]

TheKingIAm

lol no. The N64 had a terrible library. Out of its 400 games, only about 20 or so were good.

Well any system has more poor quality games on it then good I think. But I could definitley argue that there are more then 20 good games on N64.

Just click the spoiler link for my list.

[spoiler]

1. Super Mario 64

2. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

3. Zelda Majora's Mask

4. Banjo Kazooie

5. Banjo Tooie

6. Donkey Kong 64

7. Conker's Bad Fur Day

8. Goldeneye

9. Perfect Dark

10. Glover

11. Pokemon Stadium

12. Pokemon Stadium 2

13. Pokemon Snap

14. Super Smash Bros.

15. Star Fox 64

16. Diddy Kong Racing

17. Wave Race 64

18. !080 SnowBoarding

19. Yoshi's Story

20. Mario Tennis

21. Mario Party

22. Mario Party 2

23. Mario Party 3

24. Mario Kart 64

25. F- Zero X

26. Resident Evil 2

27. Paper Mario

28. Kirby 64

29. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

30. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

31. Bomberman Hero

[/spoiler]

Well that's 31 that I can come up with. Those are just ones I have played, along with a few that are widely popular but I haven't played myself. I'm sure there are other gems that I haven't heard much about too. Before the GCN came out, I didn't play a whole lot of games. So the selection of N64 games I own is very small. Actually I only own 9 games on cartridge. But since then I have discovered and played many others. 

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

killerneub

Jim Raynor: I'm positive I didn't hear that right.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nameless12345

It's quite the irony we have this thread here...