If Gaming Was A Degree...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EdgeJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 EdgeJM
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

If you could get a degree in gaming,what would be the games that you would have to play and understand to complete the course and why?

If you ask me, they'd have to battle through:

Super Mario 64- arguably the first game to break into the third dimension
Half Life 1 or 2- showing how well a story can be told in an FPS
Okami- fuel for the "are games art" debate
Nintendogs- the game that kicked off the casual gaming trend (this was released before the Wii, so no Wii Sports)
Goldeneye- one of the best FPSes of all time (though I think Perfect Dark on the N64 was a better game)
Final Fantasy VII- a game that rabid fans will dress up and buy merchandise from until the end of time

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

There would have to be different sections of the course I think. Retro, The Middle and Modern. Probably with one type of game in each category. Types of game would have to include Platformers, Beat em Ups, FPS, TPS, RPG, Action/Adventure. Other types would have to be introduced for different categories like Rhythm (for games like GH), Simulation, Casual, Quiz/Knowlege, 2 & 1/2D (Games like Trials HD, they're 3D on a 2D control system).

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I would have a Masters in First Person Shooters.

Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts
I'd think that you would have start with like gaming history and move up from there going through all the different genres and such and what they mean. And with every different category... you get to play a game that corresponds with it. I'd like that.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

If there was a gaming degree, and you got one, you'd be even more likely to work at Starbucks than if you got a Lit degree.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

If there was a gaming degree, and you got one, you'd be even more likely to work at Starbucks than if you got a Lit degree.

Dire_Weasel
Yeah, but it'd be more fun! Of course, I can't say too much. I majored in Religion and History in college, and I'm currently unemployed...
gopulpfiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 gopulpfiction
Member since 2004 • 401 Posts

Classes would have to be longer than an hour and a half. Just not enough time to "study" the matter :P

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

If you could get a degree in gaming,what would be the games that you would have to play and understand to complete the course and why?

EdgeJM

I wouldn't have to complete the course. I'd get a Professor's nomination in an eye blink :P