I miss when Battlefield played like a Battlefield game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I been playing the BF series since Battlefield 2 and mostly up to current games. BF1 to me felt like I was playing COD with vehicles this series has been getting more and more away from what it use to be. The thing that made the BF series special to me was it didn't hold your hand and there was a learning curve teamwork was a must also.Today's BF games don't even feel like BF anymore what made them unique is gone what's the point of the medic when your health just regenerates? I guess I'm just a old bitter BF vet that want's the series to go back to it's roots does anybody feel the same? probably not lol. If it was up to me all these things would be gone from the BF series.

• Regenerating health
  • grenade indicators
  • Kill Cams
  • unlimited sprint this turned the series into a twitch shooter bring back the sprint bars
  • no instant spawns wait 20 seconds this helps the pacing so it doesn't turned into DM style
  • Spawn on any of your teammates get rid of this you should be able to spawn on your Squad leader only this give the Squad leader more of a team leader role and creating spawn points for your team.

This is just a few examples I can think of for now it would just be nice if this series would go back to it's root's but I know it will probably never happen in a million years. I miss so much when BF played more tactical and less arcadey.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I believe many of those things are absent, or able to be disabled, on "hardcore" servers.

But there are other games out there that offer a degree of difficulty or "hardcore'ness" you seem to want. Maybe give ArmA 3 a try?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:

I believe many of those things are absent, or able to be disabled, on "hardcore" servers.

But there are other games out there that offer a degree of difficulty or "hardcore'ness" you seem to want. Maybe give ArmA 3 a try?

I tried hardcore servers I believe it just mostly increase the weapon damage from what I remember. I have tried the Arma series it just feels to janky for me and also it's more of a simulation. To me the old BF games had the perfect balance it wasn't arcadey and wasn't a sim it was somewhere in the middle thanks for the suggestion though.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

I'll agree with all of your bullet points except the grenade indicator. Or, I'd maybe swap it for kill cams. Either way, nothing is more frustrating than dying and having no clue what the **** happened, except having it happen over and over again. (Of course, you could do away with both if people were capable of being decent human beings, because then you could force players to rely on using headsets and actually communicating like a team. Then you could have a fellow squad mate warn you when they see a grenade that you maybe didn't notice, or call out a sniper location, or just generally look out for each other the way soldiers actually would. But people tend to be vulgar, childish, racist, sexist, homophobic scumbags, especially anonymous people playing any sort of competitive game online.)

I'm not a hardcore Battlefield player, though I vastly prefer it to Call of Duty, precisely because it had that element of teamwork, with players choosing defined roles designed to fit certain play styles. So, if I completely sucked at the shooting, I could play support, healing/reviving or resupplying those players who were doing most of the heavy lifting. It let everyone to contribute in a meaningful way and come out of matches with something to show for it, provided they realized which and were comfortable with the role they were best suited for. Sadly, I just don't think your average FPS gamer wants to play Battlefield the way it probably should be played.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@warmblur: yeah ArmA is definitely an acquired taste haha.

I enjoy the singleplayer aspects of it more than the multiplayer, but there is a diehard online community that does war simulations. Like you said, simulator.

Trying to think of any other substitute for Battlefield that is a bit more old school...Counterstrike? Red Orchestra? Day of Defeat? All these things I haven't played for years, though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25

@thedarklinglord: yeah that's what I love about BF; my kill count might only be five (as opposed to other's 30+) at the end of the match, but my score is higher than theirs because I PTFO and I'm tossing out med/ammo kits left and right, rez'ing people, and other stuff.

I don't suck at shooting, I'm just more of a tactical player (lol what a copout yeah I suck at shooting :P )

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

I enjoy the singleplayer aspects of it more than the multiplayer, but there is a diehard online community that does war simulations. Like you said, simulator.

Trying to think of any other substitute for Battlefield that is a bit more old school...Counterstrike? Red Orchestra? Day of Defeat? All these things I haven't played for years, though.

The STALKER games certainly qualify. Depending on the mod, it can be quite hardcore (eg Call of Misery). I'm fine with vanilla though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:

@warmblur: yeah ArmA is definitely an acquired taste haha.

Yeah, I played most of these games sadly we don't get great AAA FPS tactical shooters anymore Rainbow six Siege is probably the closet thing that there is now.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I'm not quite sure about the complaints for BF1. The campaign was slower paced than any COD Ive played, the environments were bigger and more suited to being tactical and flanking your enemies, which was always great in BF games.

In terms of mp, apart from regenerating health and no sprint/stamina bar, the inclusions are great. Not having a grenade indicator was bs and a problem for many older shooters. Im glad that bollocks is gone.

Plus spawning only on squad leader used to be horrendous at times because he could be in a heavily enemy populated area, right in the middle of a firefight, you spawn in and get shot down. No thanks.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I don't play a lot of competitive multiplayer, so my skills definitely aren't as honed as the hardcore players who play at least a few matches of something every day, but I never thought I necessarily sucked at shooting. I usually did pretty well in the Halo multiplayer, which is maybe the one shooter series I've spent the most time playing competitively. On a scale of 1-10, I'd estimate I'm around a 7. But there's something about Call of Duty, though, or the people who play it...

Playing Call of Duty, I'm consistently in the bottom three on my team, if not dead last in the match. My Kill/Death ratio typically averages 3-5 deaths for each kill. I rarely hit double digits on kills. It's pathetic. My experience with Battlefield was always a completely different experience. I'm frequently top three on my team, sometimes top score of the match. I still die more than I'd like, but I frequently have good runs where I'll drop a handful of guys for each death, with a respectable number of kills at the end. Most of all, I feel like I'm actually part of a team, because I'm always able to contribute with healing, reviving, resupplying, or repairing. Or capturing objectives! I love that Battlefield is built around objective-based scenarios, that those modes are the heart of the experience. Suck at shooting? Forget to deploy to medkits or ammo boxes? Players always hit to respawn before you can revive them? No problem. If you can you stand next to a flag or walk up to a box and hold down a button you'll still earn points and still rank up to unlock new gear. Sure, CoD has objective based modes, but nobody plays them.

Hell, you earn points in Battlefield for pointing at enemies. You don't even have to shoot them. Just be like, "Hey, guys? There's some dudes with guns running over there." Points! I think that's awesome.

Yellokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Yellokk
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

Bought BF1, unlocked the guns by around level 20 and went back to BF4... much more fun to me

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

I played my bro-in-law's BF1 and quickly gave it back. It felt like every other FPS game I've played in the past couple of decades. This stale genre needs something fresh.