I don't understand why so many people hate Call of Duty.

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dirtydishko2
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

IGN Article Blaming All the World's Troubles on Call of Duty

You hear a lot of people talking a lot of smack about the Call of Duty series. This IGN article even credits the series for single-handedly ruining the FPS genre. That's quite a claim. But the truth is that the world needs Call of Duty. The world needs Call of Duty because gamers still overwhelmingly demand and play and support it. The world needs Call of Duty because it gives snobby gamers something to turn their nose up at and point at as preferred game of the simple-minded masses they deem themselves so above.

Personally I feel that although the series has been over-milked, it is still an extremely entertaining multiplayer FPS. COD4 will forever remain one of my favorite games of all time. I do not think that the series stifles innovation. Yes it dominates the FPS genre, but that only opens the door for creativity in other genres. I think they've created a pretty solid formula for a competitive online FPS, and that they should stick with it. I do not agree with the way they have begun to release one every single year like clock work. I think the heart and soul of this series is the multiplayer, and it would make much more sense to release one disc based title every few years, and bi-annually release updates via DLC that include new maps, modes, guns, and attatchments; because that's all any game since COD4 has been anyway- an update with new guns and maps, not an entirely new game. I don't think that every single genre of gaming should be expected to constantly evolve...that's just unrealistic. Each genre will evolve and change at it's own pace and more importantly, as the public demands it. Right now, the FPS genre has settled. It will change when people grow tired of it, and maybe RTS games or RPGs will become more popular, or maybe a new genre will emerge. But right now, Call of Duty is OK with me.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

I hate it because the perk system is in everything now. The perk system worked for cod (sort of) please keep it out of other games plox.

Stratacoustix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Stratacoustix
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

#1. It was done so well that it got popular, so the developers simply sat on success and haven't done anything genre breaking in years. If you are the big boy of the genre, it's your job to help it evolve.

#2. Money. It makes tons of money yet the developer still feels the need to charge too much for map packs, usually at the same price point of an expansion that brings alot more content then maps alone do.

#3. It was done so well that it got popular, so everyone and their annoying cousin plays it now, bringing in an unwanted community of morons, jerks, and rude players that otherwise would be at the bar cheating on their wives.

someoneelse28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 someoneelse28
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
It's generic and bland as far as storyline goes. And if you or someone you know is in the war in the middle east, it's pretty damn offensive. Seriously, COD used to be good back when it covered historical wars. Now it's just propaganda to glorify what's going on over in that area and make it seem 'cool' to travel to other countries and kill people. And before you attack me, I do respect people who join the military if they do it to serve their country and fulfill a duty. But it's just stupid when people join simply because they play COD or other similar game, saw a movie about being some badass soldier in a movie, or just watched too much Fox News and thought it'd make them "omg so badass and hard" if they signed up.
DarkGamerkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarkGamerkill
Member since 2009 • 56 Posts

"The world needs Call of Duty because gamers still overwhelmingly demand and play and support it" So your telling me before cod the world had nothing else to play? they just sat there and cried all day? thats quite a statment your making there.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
#2. Money. It makes tons of money yet the developer still feels the need to charge too much for map packs, usually at the same price point of an expansion that brings alot more content then maps alone do.Stratacoustix
Blame Activision for that one, not Infinity Ward or Treyarch. That money-grab philosophy drove Guitar Hero into the ground in only a couple of years and will probably do the same to Call of Duty.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I don't hate Call Of Duty. I just think it's one of the more overrated, overhyped FPS series in history.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

I don't hate it, but I do not see the appeal behind the franchise.

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dirtydishko2

"The world needs Call of Duty because gamers still overwhelmingly demand and play and support it" So your telling me before cod the world had nothing else to play? they just sat there and cried all day? thats quite a statment your making there.

DarkGamerkill
You sure did a helluva job of putting words in my mouth there.
dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dirtydishko2
It's generic and bland as far as storyline goes.someoneelse28
I agree. It is, however, the multiplayer which sustains the fanbase not the storyline.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

I think it only seems like everyone hates it because the people who hate it are more vocal about it than the people who like it. They're among the best selling games and are still played often.

Personally I enjoy CoD games, but I'm honestly getting tired of them. They haven't really changed the formula since CoD4; it's all just been small tweaks to gameplay or a few new features since then. They're going to have to do something really special (and I mean good special, not "MMO CoD" special) to get me to buy a CoD game again.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

A lot of people hate it because a lot of FPS devs just copy the formula over and over instead of trying new ideas. But of course, devs copy because it always works, a lot people love it, and give them the money.

Me, I've never played Call of Duty, but I have played a few different FPS's this gen, and they all seemed pretty similer. Especially the multiplayer. The reason I didn't play CoD is because the campaigns don't seem interesting, and I have enough FPS's for mutiplayer, like Perfect Dark Zero, Goldeneye, and Quantum of Solace.

GojiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GojiMaster
Member since 2009 • 451 Posts

#1. It was done so well that it got popular, so the developers simply sat on success and haven't done anything genre breaking in years. If you are the big boy of the genre, it's your job to help it evolve.

#2. Money. It makes tons of money yet the developer still feels the need to charge too much for map packs, usually at the same price point of an expansion that brings alot more content then maps alone do.

#3. It was done so well that it got popular, so everyone and their annoying cousin plays it now, bringing in an unwanted community of morons, jerks, and rude players that otherwise would be at the bar cheating on their wives.

Stratacoustix

So basically you hate the game because it is popular?

CoD has evolved. All of the last few games have had new gameplay additions. MW was GOTY and set the path that all FPS games are currently following in. WaW introduced Nazi Zombies, MW2 had a really nice Spec Ops mode and a lot more killstreaks, and Black Ops introduced wager matches, dead ops arcade, and splitscreen online among other features. CoD is one of the most fully featured games out there. Halo is the only other console game that can compete with CoD in terms of features.

If Activision is able to realease a quality CoD game every year then I am totally ok with it. Gamers buy new copies of Madden, FIFA, and Tiger Woods every year.

djdocsciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 djdocsciple
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Call of duty - great. Having one person at LAN who's rating because of perks is so high that he/she keeps on winning due to having more perks than anybody else (We have peshooters and he/she's got airstrikes)
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
How many times these threads about COD love/hate? I hate it, because it's a bland and less compelling/ dumbed down version of FPS that has now become the one and only standard for the large majority of FPS, making the FPS genre less fun than it previously was. Also, you talk like this guy:
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Its reasonable to hate CoD because its a garbage game, but its not reasonable to hate it because others are aping the things that make it garbage (near-nonexistent AI, unbalanced multiplayer).

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

So basically you hate the game because it is popular?

CoD has evolved. All of the last few games have had new gameplay additions. MW was GOTY and set the path that all FPS games are currently following in. WaW introduced Nazi Zombies, MW2 had a really nice Spec Ops mode and a lot more killstreaks, and Black Ops introduced wager matches, dead ops arcade, and splitscreen online among other features. CoD is one of the most fully featured games out there. Halo is the only other console game that can compete with CoD in terms of features.

If Activision is able to realease a quality CoD game every year then I am totally ok with it. Gamers buy new copies of Madden, FIFA, and Tiger Woods every year.

GojiMaster

Those are sports titles, there is common sense in releasing a sports title each year because they become outdated in a year. And they also at least improve each year. Killing people in multiplayer is not a sport. It's a game were you kill each other in multiplayer, either at a casual level or a competitive level. There's no such sport in real life.

Releasing a game in the same outdated engine(no physics, rigid overall looks, all scripted events, mediocre animation system, frame-by-frame explosions); almost the same simplicity of the level design and the casual linear gameplay mechanics; same heavily scripted and extremely short campaigns with down right insultingly bad plots and boringly stupid AI; and same mediocre, casual, MP with some sprinkles on top... is not going to get praise from everyone.

That's the definition of a moderate to inferior game, in quality, there's nothing to be praised. It's cool if you enjoy it though.

And ofcourse, adding to that, it doesn't help the fact that the PC version, at launch, was literally a unplayable mess, for which players had to wait months for a patch to actually make it decent, Activision even got sued for that, for God's sake.

Turn a blind eye, skip trough my words, and call me a hater all ya'll want, i don't give a ****.

It wont change the experience a couple of friends had, that got possesed by the CoD hype.

I don't got a problem with anyone enjoying the game though, power to the player.

jiggaleroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jiggaleroy
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts
I think people hate Call of Duty more for what it stands for, than the game itself. Even if the game itself is crap. But it's far from being the only, or even the worst example of "PC game killer". Dragon Age 2, for instance, is a worse example in my book of a "PC game killer".
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I dont hate the CoD series, I just think it gets too much credit due to hype, and gets credited with things it did not do.

The game itself? Not a personal favorite, but it is a good game series none the less, Im just not the target audience for it.

colossus235890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 colossus235890
Member since 2009 • 389 Posts

I perfere games with a good single player mode over multiplayer, and Call of Duty's single player sucks

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

This question is hard to explain, if they hate it becouse they make every year the same game then they should buy just 1 of the series.(like most people use as an argument)

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
I hate CoD becuase it is not fun. so.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
people hate it because its popular, yes some people have legit gripes with the game but most hate talk with a game like that is done by the very same people who play it 8-12 hours a day
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

It's generic and bland as far as storyline goes. And if you or someone you know is in the war in the middle east, it's pretty damn offensive. Seriously, COD used to be good back when it covered historical wars. Now it's just propaganda to glorify what's going on over in that area and make it seem 'cool' to travel to other countries and kill people. And before you attack me, I do respect people who join the military if they do it to serve their country and fulfill a duty. But it's just stupid when people join simply because they play COD or other similar game, saw a movie about being some badass soldier in a movie, or just watched too much Fox News and thought it'd make them "omg so badass and hard" if they signed up.someoneelse28

I dunno man, it sounds like you played a totally different game. Maybe the Treyarch ones are like this, but COD4 and MW2 seem to be totally anti-war most of the time. The villian in MW2 is a US general who believes war is good for America, and you get quotes from Dick Cheney when you die. The whole point of the game was to show you how stupid and pointless the events on the screen were. War sucks and everybody was worse off at the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

It's an excellent series, But they are starting to milk it a bit. The last 3 games are the same with different maps.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
The reason why most people hate Call of Duty is because it has become casual and popular. Once something becomes popular, it instantly gains dislike from some people. I don't hate Call of Duty but I think it's changed the FPS genre very much. Every shooter which is released these days tries to cash in on Call of Duty's success and tries to replicate its style. Given time, maybe even a few years, Call of Duty will end up like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawks, dead because of what Activison is doing with the name, overusing it and trying to squeeze every last $ they can out of it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Because it is incredibly generic and took advantage of the popularity it received from the PC audience in order to make it rich with the casual audience? It also hasn't changed since CoD2.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

its evry simple TC clearly you never played it on PC where after CoD 4's mediocre ness came the buggy unsupported trash that was MW2 which terrified many folks into not buying blops regardless fo any strides they make in the franchsie CoD is DEAD on the pc and eventually activision will make them take a side in the console specific list in order to save money and cut their losses as the milking continues and the CoD will go the way of MoH or guitar hero before it. lying with a hole in its head behind a garden shed.

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I don't hate the series, but I do hate the way it's milked to absolutely no end. It gets tons of credit for never changing a thing. The Madden of the FPS world.
romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
I have fun with Call of Duty, especially Black Ops. I'm not expecting to be blown away. It's the equivalent of a popcorn flick. You play it simply to be entertained. COD may not push things forward, but it does what it does very well, and people buy it in record numbers.
Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

If you play the last COD, it's exactly like the first COD. If you've

played one, you've played them all.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44662 Posts
When a game sells over 20 million copies per year you're going to simply have more haters, lets just say like 10% of people that play a game hate it, when a game only sells like 1 million copies there's no that many haters to voice their opinion, but if 10% of 20+ million voice their frustration that's at least like 2 million that hate a game, that's more haters than people that actually play some other games, which is why you're under this impression that COD is massively hated, it only seems that way because so many people have played it, my guess is proportion of people that voice their hate for this game is rather small compared to those that actually played and liked it... then again, there might be people with legitimate concern for the series, I think Black Ops really wasn't as good as other later entries into the series like the MW titles and World At War, since BFBC I've always prefered the Battlefield multiplayer over COD, and only get the COD games for campaign alone, I liked the campaigns of WaW and MW2, but I didn't like Black Ops all that much, that's just how I feel, I don't hate the series. Plus, consider how the West Zampella lawsuits have turned people off the series, or the overpriced and substance lacking DLC, and Activisions unwillingness to update the COD gameplay engine because it'd interfere with their leapfrog cycle, the glitchy ports of Black Ops, online hackers, people who prefer better FPSs that don't sell as well over the popular one, etc, you're probably going to hear any number of these frustrations, but I think all this perceived hate for COD has to do with the fact that so many people play it then you're going to hear about it a lot more from those that don't like it.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#34 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I hate it because it embodies everything that's wrong with the industry these days. Yearly sequel rehashes, overpriced DLC, overly linear/scripted gameplay, and a excessive reliance on generic multiplayer to increase the longevity of the title. It doesn't help that multiplayer is populated by the bottom feeders of the videogame audience.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#35 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't hate it, but what it's done to the industry is certainly not something I like.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I don't hate the core games so much, I just think they're vastly overrated. I really didn't like Modern Warfare 2, and I thought Black Ops was a 7.5 at best.

What I do hate, is how other companies react to CoD's success. We don't need killstreaks in every FPS, we don't need these short and boring campaigns, not everything needs to be this huge hit success. I hate how EA is putting forth so much effort to dethrone CoD. Look what happened to Medal of Honor. Battlefield 3 is looking to stay true to the series' roots but EA is putting way too much emphasis on how its going to beat CoD.

Plus, Activision is putting so much attention on CoD they're ruining great development studios. The biggest one that comes to mind is Raven. They don't need to be doing CoD, having 2 teams on the same freaking franchise is enough, we don't need more.

kirkonacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 kirkonacid
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

I personally hate it in larger part to extreme over exposure to it. I have a stepfather and two brothers playing it nonstop. If I'm not forced to listen to their volume cranked up at all hours of the night, I have to listen to the idiotic conversations they have with their friends over headsets. I can't even go to my friend's house without their boyfriends doing the same thing.

I can't take a yearly installment of this!

ps - GOW isn't help the situation either.

/rant

kirkonacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kirkonacid
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

I hate it because it embodies everything that's wrong with the industry these days. Yearly sequel rehashes, overpriced DLC, overly linear/scripted gameplay, and a excessive reliance on generic multiplayer to increase the longevity of the title. It doesn't help that multiplayer is populated by the bottom feeders of the videogame audience.DJ_Lae

Oh and this also.

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
I agree with the IGN article when it says the CoD franchise hasn't evolved since the first Modern Warfare. Using the same engine is getting old especially when other games like Crysis 2, Killzone 3, Halo Reach, and Battlefield is evolving. But I disagree when it says that Call of Duty 4 wasn't innovative because it certainly was, for better or for worse. It just wasn't a new CoD game set in the modern setting. It did do some things that revolutionized console multiplayer and the way we play FPSs, like the controls. But Activision is milking the franchise like Guitar Hero. Let's see how Modern Warfare 3 sells and how the fanbase holds up. Then we'll know if the franchise is still healthy or not.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44497 Posts
Meh. I love the games myself as I find them to be great fun especially online. I wasn't really that into them until Modern Warfare hit though. As for all the hate it gets well I think that just comes with the territory as the more popular a game is then the more vocal the haters become. This isn't just with games either as it can basically be applied to most anything especially when it comes to entertainment.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

The problem, is what it caused it has caused this increase of cod copies, and devs aren't trying aynthing new. Plus every game since cod 4 was gone down hill. 16 dollars for 3 new maps every game.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Also, listening to the last episode of Weekend Confirmed gives me another thing to hate on Call of Duty for - turning multiplayer into a series of carrots on sticks. Their guest mentioned "What's the point of playing multiplayer when there's no sense of advancement?" It's an asinine statement and I can't believe she made it, but there's still an element of truth to it because her mentality is exactly the same as the Call of Duty generation. So what's the point? Fun. Back when we played games for fun, not to unlock more multiplayer weapons, not to level up, not to unlock killstreaks, not to build loadouts, not to 'prestige.'
PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PalmPixi
Member since 2011 • 361 Posts
I think it's based on it's popularity. I don't like it, nor I dislike it. It's not a game I play, but I can see why people love it. It's user friendly, and fun. This type of dynamic,"user friendly" Does not sit well with hardcore gamers, and truthfully neither activision, nor everyone in the real world care. Tons of people play it every second, and they love it. It is setting a grave for it's own demise, I just don't see it happening within the next 5 years. I even fear it's sales might even overtake Mario in the long run.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

Stratacoustix

this...add to everyone trying to copy the game...and the gameplay mechanics kinda suck...not to mention its been 3 years since its had a proper sequel(somethin that does somethin different and uses a different engine...and plays better)

mAnIk800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mAnIk800
Member since 2009 • 188 Posts

Personally i hate highly hyped,generic crap (being COD and WOW). It was all built on hype and everyone is hypnotised into thinkings its awsome due to HYPE. Its generic, its another war shooter, and its all been done before. Correct me if im wrong but MOH was a bit before COD. Just like the RPG before WOW, Everquest ect COD AND WOW did not lay the ground work to this fab...Hype laid it for these games

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts

Personally i hate highly hyped,generic crap (being COD and WOW). It was all built on hype and everyone is hypnotised into thinkings its awsome due to HYPE. Its generic, its another war shooter, and its all been done before. Correct me if im wrong but MOH was a bit before COD. Just like the RPG before WOW, Everquest ect COD AND WOW did not lay the ground work to this fab...Hype laid it for these games

mAnIk800
to most people COD and WOW took their genres established formulas and perfected or nearly perfected them, yea of course they get hyped why wouldnt they?
TheRedChannels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheRedChannels
Member since 2010 • 97 Posts

I'm not out to flame you, TC, but did you actually read the entire article? He makes valid points and basically explains that, due to the massive success of the CoD series, pretty much every FPS is starting to look and play like CoD. This is bad for us as gamers because we're looking forward to all these supposed top-notch games from big publishers that turn out to be CoD cash-ins (case in point: Homefront). Sure, there may be nothing inherently wrongwith these games:they may look nice, and run fine, and the AI may be okay, and the story might be interesting enough to see it through, etc, but at the end of the day, it's like eating the same meal over and over. It gets really boring after a while, no matter how well-made the meals are.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#48 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

COD seems to be kind of like a double standard for most people in my opinion just because it's so popular and owned by Activision. I'll hear people nag about it being linear or generic and then they'll go and play Uncharted 2 or Killzone 3, etc. I'm fine with the series, in fact, I have a lot of fun with it. Hating on it is just the popular thing to do now.

Also, it's kind of hypocritical of IGN to post that after giving literal every COD this gen amazing scores.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
The best indicator of the series' quality is its commercial success. That's a fair rebuttal of IGN right there.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Its a shooter and I dont like shooters.