I don't think I can play Zelda anymore.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DuskullLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DuskullLives
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
After playing Skyrim for about a year now, I tried to pick back up my old favorite Zelda: OOT...I couldn't even try to get into it. Even worse, when I tried to start my adventure on Skyward Sword, I lost interest halfway through. Zelda, believe it or not, has this Pokemonesque complex of everything being mapped out similarly (grammar?) to older versions. It has a structure to it that just limits what you can be, and I've really lost interest in it. I believe Zelda is becoming a "fancy" title, similar to Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Pokemon's in there, too, but it has properties similar to games like Mario Kart. "Fancy" is basically a game passing because of how good it looks or a fan just diggin' the new garb of a character (in my dictionary, I guess). Any thoughts on your experiences or reasons why it's still a thing?
tchurch95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tchurch95
Member since 2013 • 86 Posts
It has a structure to it that just limits what you can be, and I've really lost interest in it.DuskullLives
Ahh yes, it seems I see a lot of people losing interest in Zelda these days. It's interesting, because I actually played Skyrim (and Oblivion) before getting into Zelda. I like Zelda a lot, to me it epitomizes the idea of adventure, and of heroism, while Skyrim and most other Western RPGs tend to epitomize the idea of choice. Both are fantastic concepts. I like Zelda a lot. I've played a ton of Zelda recently and am burning through all the titles I've been able to get my hands on. I do agree with your above statement--all titles tend to be structured so that it limits what you can be. That's a good way to put it. You're always the hero. You always need the same items and the same prerequisites to beat certain dungeons and achieve certain things. There isn't much choice in it, nor variation. I don't think Zelda games have much replay value. I play them for certain rewards; for completing what is typically a very inspirational story, for example. Or for completing intriguing side quests. Or for mastering certain tools for the first time and using them to defeat challenging bosses. For the puzzles. I love it the first time around! But it's like reading a book; very rarely do you read a book again because of how good it is, because even though it was fantastic, it's the same every time. Sure you could go through and maybe learn something you didn't the first time, but is it entirely worth it? Not usually. I love Zelda games, and I love the techniques and gimmicks they've employed to keep the series alive. It has a fantastic set of lore behind it, and every story is magical and brilliant. But I don't think I'll be replaying them too often. Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite franchises, it just lacks in replay value. I think that the reason it's stayed alive for so long, and will continue to do so, is because of the creativity it has always displayed, and the ways in which they present new stories. No dedicated fan of the series wants to go ten minutes without knowing the outcome of the newest, potentially best game in the series, and trust me, this is a franchise with countless fans. :) That's probably why it's still a thing.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Zelda isn't an RPG. Never has been, never will be.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#4 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts
If you have played and beaten OOT before, I think it's impossible to "feel the magic" like with the first time. That's with any game, though. But yes, there is familiarity in the Zelda games, otherwise they wouldn't be Zelda, right? That said, I think that each game is completely distinct from any other in the franchise. Pokemon is not a good series to compare it with, for it truly has followed a straight, formulaic line. When people do a top ten Zelda list, everyone's list is going to differ, and for various reasons. Perhaps the next entry in the series will shake things up even more than Skyward Sword did and regain your interest, or maybe not.
BLaverock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 BLaverock
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

I loved Zelda, but it just doesn't have the depth in gameplay and world immersion to compete with titles like Skyrim. I remember getting Ocarina of Time for Christmas, and back then it was on the cutting edge. Ocarina allowed more freedom in gameplay than most any other game on the market. Unfortunately, every Zelda title that's followed has petered around that same level of immersion; instead of exploring, it's more like you're guided through the game. I hope Nintendo will re-create the Zelda series. Imagine Link, but in a Skyrim/Hyrule hybrid of a world. Would be epic!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 turtlethetaffer

I loved Zelda, but it just doesn't have the depth in gameplay and world immersion to compete with titles like Skyrim. I remember getting Ocarina of Time for Christmas, and back then it was on the cutting edge. Ocarina allowed more freedom in gameplay than most any other game on the market. Unfortunately, every Zelda title that's followed has petered around that same level of immersion; instead of exploring, it's more like you're guided through the game. I hope Nintendo will re-create the Zelda series. Imagine Link, but in a Skyrim/Hyrule hybrid of a world. Would be epic!

BLaverock

Did you play majora's Mask or Wind Waker...?

Also, it doesn't need to be like Skyrim.  skyrim is an open world RPG, Zelda is an action adventure game (you could make the argument for ARPG, but still).  Very different genres, people.

dbene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dbene
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
maybe Zelda IS an adventure game....but they COULD do a Zelda game like Skyrim with that much openness.....It would certainly sell and be an interesting experiment. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game of all time other than the original. I also love the one for DS...can't think of the name...Phantom Hourglass?
Avatar image for TheLastGamer122
TheLastGamer122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 TheLastGamer122
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts
I cant say I am a big Zelda fan at all anymore. They are good games, but starting to be a big overrated :/
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 turtlethetaffer

maybe Zelda IS an adventure game....but they COULD do a Zelda game like Skyrim with that much openness.....It would certainly sell and be an interesting experiment. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game of all time other than the original. I also love the one for DS...can't think of the name...Phantom Hourglass?dbene

Phantom Hourglass was one of the worst ones thanks to the Ocean King Temple.

And they could make it more open and stuff, but I still wouldn't like an RPG type game from it.

Avatar image for DragonHuntress7
DragonHuntress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DragonHuntress7
Member since 2013 • 138 Posts

After playing Skyrim for about a year now, I tried to pick back up my old favorite Zelda: OOT...I couldn't even try to get into it. Even worse, when I tried to start my adventure on Skyward Sword, I lost interest halfway through. Zelda, believe it or not, has this Pokemonesque complex of everything being mapped out similarly (grammar?) to older versions. It has a structure to it that just limits what you can be, and I've really lost interest in it. I believe Zelda is becoming a "fancy" title, similar to Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Pokemon's in there, too, but it has properties similar to games like Mario Kart. "Fancy" is basically a game passing because of how good it looks or a fan just diggin' the new garb of a character (in my dictionary, I guess). Any thoughts on your experiences or reasons why it's still a thing?DuskullLives

If you came at the older game with a different mindset you could perhaps enjoy it more. 

williebazerka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 williebazerka
Member since 2010 • 305 Posts
I bought OOT to play for the first time recently.I kept hearing "it's so good","perfect","best game of all time".It felt like a game made for kids.Like Disney movies target audience is kids but, anyone can enjoy.That's how it felt.I'm sure someone's going to get offended but that's how it made me feel.
dbene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dbene
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
It's impossible to get the same experience that people had back then. It had a lot of groundbreaking techniques and such for it's time but they have all done better. So, a fan of retro games can appreciate it but I think it's impossible for a completely new player to have the same level of awe and impression that we had (back in the day) playing it when it was brand new. Personally, when I play "retro" stuff I nearly wanna go back to the side scrolling platformers. I can't hardly stand the old first and second generation of 3d games (PS1, N64, ...even PS2) with clunky mechanics and graphics. There are too many good ....beautiful 3d games now to play........but something like Castlevania Symphony of the Night is still great to me because it was a completely different style
thanhbui1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thanhbui1988
ohh.but i can play this game. i like this game . ZiZi Games | Hopy
gladdudeos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gladdudeos

I can sort of agree with you, I mean have you played skyward sword???:cry: It sucked

Some of the new zelda games suck, the only ones I like are twilight princess, N64 games and the first 3.

But still the newest ones suck. Nintendo are planing to make a bunch of hd versions I think, 2 new games coming out are  Wind waker hd and a link between worlds... dafuq? a link between worlds is a 3ds version of a link to the past.

So basically im saying, nintendo had their times in the 80's

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

I bought OOT to play for the first time recently.I kept hearing "it's so good","perfect","best game of all time".It felt like a game made for kids.Like Disney movies target audience is kids but, anyone can enjoy.That's how it felt.I'm sure someone's going to get offended but that's how it made me feel.williebazerka

I understand that impression of Zelda but I think it's mistaken, or only partially true. On the surface, most Zelda games definitely come across as quite childlike (although Majora's Mask comes across as only suitable from Tim Burton's kids) but there's so much more below the surface that is only really discoverable for a more adult gamer.

For me, Zelda does exactly what Mario does so well- only moreso. On the surface, it's got the undeniable appeal to kids with the character designs, the colourful world, and the fairly simplistic narrative. But then you hand a mario game to an adult who knows their gaming and you start to notice the brilliance of the control schemes, the creative level design, the huge amount of secrets that reward you for experimenting with the game. (With Zelda you can add the puzzles, the boss battles and huge open world to that list).

As for OoT, I think most of the 'perfect', 'best game of all time' praise DOES come because of the time at which it was released. A point at which it was so revolutionary and put everything else in 3D to shame. I think most of the main Zelda games in the series are just as good and it's incredibly valuable in the modern day to have game series in the mainstream that haven't buckled to the pressure of the western photo-realistic action.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

[QUOTE="dbene"]maybe Zelda IS an adventure game....but they COULD do a Zelda game like Skyrim with that much openness.....It would certainly sell and be an interesting experiment. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game of all time other than the original. I also love the one for DS...can't think of the name...Phantom Hourglass?turtlethetaffer

And they could make it more open and stuff, but I still wouldn't like an RPG type game from it.

Lol completely agree! That damn Temple is so out-of-sync with the rest of the game and it really does bring it down. (for those of you who haven't played it, the Ocean King Temple is a place you have to repeatedly conquer, we're not just bitching about 1 single dungeon)
williebazerka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 williebazerka
Member since 2010 • 305 Posts
I may dislike the game but I would never say it's a bad game just because I don't like it.The game has perfect scores from alot of reviews and a really high average rating.And I've heard it called the "Greatest Game" by alot of gamers.That doesn't change because I don't like it.
zanguo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zanguo
I finally started Skyward Sword about a month ago. Didn't even get to the second temple; I was so bored with it. There were definitely moments of old, where I chuckled and fell prey to it's cuteness. When it comes right down to it, though, it didn't feel fresh. I got pissed at the coddling controls. I felt like there wasn't much of a point to any of it. It felt like Windwaker (amazing game), bogged down by typical visuals, wiimote controls and a redundant setup. I knew the game probably opens up more and becomes more absorbing.... but you know what? I just - didn't - care. Still don't. If I'm not hooked by the second area of a Zelda game, something's wrong. And I kinda hate myself for not caring to continue. Maybe I'm too old, or maybe I've just become pickier with my gameplay over the years. I have to be stingier with my game-time these days, and it is a sad day indeed when a new Zelda title doesn't make the cut. Zelda was my bread and butter as a young 'un, but now I feel like the most it can do for me is offer awesome waves of nostalgia in the form of older titles. :'(
xGarrettThiefX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xGarrettThiefX
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
Yeah I can understand where your coming from. The franchise really has lost its edge over years and have lost a lot of ground with the other gaming houses. It makes me wonder what The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds will be like. I can only hope...
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="dbene"]maybe Zelda IS an adventure game....but they COULD do a Zelda game like Skyrim with that much openness.....It would certainly sell and be an interesting experiment. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game of all time other than the original. I also love the one for DS...can't think of the name...Phantom Hourglass?garywood69

Lol completely agree! That damn Temple is so out-of-sync with the rest of the game and it really does bring it down. (for those of you who haven't played it, the Ocean King Temple is a place you have to repeatedly conquer, we're not just bitching about 1 single dungeon)

Yeah.  That damn place made me dread finishing a story dungeon in PH.  That shouldn't EVER happen in a game like Zelda.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I never really have that problem where the improvement in tech and design makes it hard for me to appreciate older games. I haven't played OOT in like 12 years but i'll still love it and geek over it. I can pick up and play last gen games any time no matter how good current gens are.

getupandboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 getupandboogie
Member since 2013 • 93 Posts
After playing Skyrim for about a year now, I tried to pick back up my old favorite Zelda: OOT...I couldn't even try to get into it. Even worse, when I tried to start my adventure on Skyward Sword, I lost interest halfway through. Zelda, believe it or not, has this Pokemonesque complex of everything being mapped out similarly (grammar?) to older versions. It has a structure to it that just limits what you can be, and I've really lost interest in it. I believe Zelda is becoming a "fancy" title, similar to Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Pokemon's in there, too, but it has properties similar to games like Mario Kart. "Fancy" is basically a game passing because of how good it looks or a fan just diggin' the new garb of a character (in my dictionary, I guess). Any thoughts on your experiences or reasons why it's still a thing?DuskullLives
To each their own, I still occasionally pick up A Link to the Past and run through it. I still crave to play ocarina of time, but Ive done the starting bit so many times that I struggle to power through. I constantly would like to play through it all again, but just cant be bothered with the deku tree and then going to the princess. If i cold start after there i would be fine :) But i digress, fancy title does seem a fair way of putting it. As time goes by, less and less people will be interested in the games, and I imagine one day, i will forgert about its existence. Hopefully, I will get another random craving to play ocarina of time and stick with it! (Also i still have this with FF9 and Lost Odyssey)