I can't do Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grazen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Grazen
Member since 2002 • 79 Posts

Is it just me or is this franchise failed to evolve one whit since MGS2 on the PS2? I was so looking forward to this launch as the first big game of the year (and least to me) on my powerful new gaming rig that I got for Christmas. Unfortunately this glitch filled button mashing throwback to game design circa 2001 hasn't kept pace with gaming trends or just good gaming practices in general. A horrible story, with characters that continue to be caricatures, and one of the most hated gaming characters of all time makes his return as a feminine looking cyborg samurai in high heels! What's worse, about twenty minutes into the game I get hit with a big invisible wall! This is 2014 - invisible walls that appear for a boss battle and then magically disappear once the battle is defeated have no place in gaming! At the very least they should be described within the context of the game... I mean why didn't Raiden say - "Holy fcuk, there was a giant invisible wall here and now it's gone... somebody look into it!".

Unlike with my prior post on Zelda, I'm not ready to give up on Metal Gear - I have a long history with the franchise and played every game (in the MGS series in any case) going back to the PSone. Kojima and Japanese game developers need to evolve with the times though. This ain't the 90's.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's a spinoff, first thing.

Second thing... "Don't **** with this senator."

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Dude Metal Gear Rising was not made for Metal Gear Solid fans. Are you familiar with Platinum Games previous work ?

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

Don't hit the panic button just yet. Revengeance was a spin-off and it seemed to cater to a new demographic. I am sure the new additions to the MG franchise (Phantom Pain, Ground Zero) will get the series back on track.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

He's not complaining about the game compared to MGS, he's upset that it's a braindead hack&slash that could have been made ten years ago. And that it's populated with characters and a storyline as brainless and convoluted as the gameplay.

I played through it once then traded it away. At least Deadpool poked fun at the generic-ness of his game.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

So what exactly makes this game feel like it hasn't kept up with gaming trends other than a bad story (which is still the norm and not the exception in this medium) and invisible walls? Surely you can do a better job explaining why you don't like this game if it's gotten you this wound up.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
@Grazen said:

this glitch filled button mashing throwback to game design circa 2001 hasn't kept pace with gaming trends or just good gaming practices in general. A horrible story, with characters that continue to be caricatures, and one of the most hated gaming characters of all time makes his return as a feminine looking cyborg samurai in high heels! What's worse, about twenty minutes into the game I get hit with a big invisible wall! This is 2014 - invisible walls that appear for a boss battle and then magically disappear once the battle is defeated have no place in gaming! At the very least they should be described within the context of the game... I mean why didn't Raiden say - "Holy fcuk, there was a giant invisible wall here and now it's gone... somebody look into it!".

Nailed it, it's a game that would have been ok some 13 years ago. The combat system is dreadfully outdated, it tries to jingle keys in front of your face with its hollow Dragon Ball Z flashiness, but unless you enslave yourself and master the broken-ass parry mechanic you're doomed to frustration. Oh and the stereotypes: "I'm Herr Doktor und I love Kapitalismus, jawohl!" That's the kind of boneheaded japanese humor that nobody thinks is funny. The energy walls were downright offensive: "There's an energy barrier here, what sorcery is this?" As if we were all stupid like Raiden and weren't able to tell bad game design when we see it. The plot is a predictable spin on Kojima's "killing is bad, here's a fun weapon to kill people" bullshit and even that it does nothing with. The final boss song is nice though.

Anyway, don't judge the whole franchise from this game, it's nothing but a reskin of Bayonetta with a MGS paintjob, absolutely hysterically bad stealth shoehorned in and that half-assed cutting mechanic added on. There's so much more to Metal Gear than this game lets on.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

"button mashing throwback"
"braindead hack&slash"
"The combat system is dreadfully outdated, it tries to jingle keys in front of your face with its hollow Dragon Ball Z flashiness, but unless you enslave yourself and master the broken-ass parry mechanic "

The **** am I even reading? MGR:R is one of the finest examples of action games in recent years where gameplay mastery, above all else, is rewarded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@pyratrum: I was kind of thinking the same, from that specific genre, I think MGS:R stands as one of the better ones.

But then Again, someone point me to a genre that HAS evolved noticibly over the last 10 years please.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

nanomachines son

The answer to every question.

Why are there invisible walls? because nanomachines

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

@pyratrum said:
gameplay mastery, above all else, is rewarded.

More like "required"

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin: Beat em ups. From Double Dragon and Bayou Billy to Batman: Arkham.

I'm a huge fan of melee combat and the combat systems they're built on. In that sense, I believe TMNT: Out of the Shadows was better than MGR: Revengeance.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@pyratrum said:

More like "required"

MGR:R is actually quite accessible when compared to other heavy hitters in the genre like Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden II.

Sounds to me like you just suck.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

MGR is a fantastic game.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pffrbt

@pyratrum said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@pyratrum said:

More like "required"

MGR:R is actually quite accessible when compared to other heavy hitters in the genre like Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden II.

He does. Anyone who describes the parry system as "broken" does just suck at the game. It couldn't be more responsive or satisfying to use.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

It's a hack n slash lol. What HnS games have great stories and don't suffer from invisible walls or unpassable objects? Devil May Cry is possibly the biggest name for this genre of gaming and it has all that, bad story, invisible walls, you name it. God of War suffers from the same shit. If you wanted a game with a good story that doesn't have any of these then stick with Zelda and those type of games. Hack n Slash games mainly focus on cool looking cutscenes, great fighting music, good graphics, over exaggerated action sequences and fast gameplay. All of those things were in MGR:R, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Edit: Forgot to mention that these games usually stretch to 4 to 6 hours as well unless they offer replay value like letting you start a new game powered up, new costumes, new power ups, unlockable art, you know the rest, then they will last a little longer.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Pffrbt said:

@pyratrum said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@pyratrum said:

More like "required"

He does. Anyone who describes the parry system as "broken" does just suck at the game. It couldn't be more responsive or satisfying to use.

That's funny, because pretty much every single person I talk to complains about the block system. It's broken twice: 1) it's unreliable unless you pour in a lot of time practicing it and even then it often fails when it thinks you aren't pointing in the right direction, and 2) it's exploitable, since you can continuously tap the stick and the attack/block button and parry every hit though a glitch, as explained in this review

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Pffrbt said:

@pyratrum said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@pyratrum said:

More like "required"

That's funny, because pretty much every single person I talk to compains about the block system. It's broken twice: 1) it's unreliable unless you pour in a lot of time practicing it and even then it often fails when it thinks you aren't pointing in the right direction, and 2) it's exploitable, since you can continuously tap the stick and the attack/block button and parry every hit though a glitch, as explained in this review

Imo, I found that exploit to be fun to play with. Especially on the harder difficulties. It doesn't guarantee a block each and every time an enemy strikes you, but it is satisfying to use because a lot of enemies are cheap as all ****.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

You can do MGR! You just have to believe!

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I don't understand your logic. You say "the franchise hasn't evolved since Metal Gear Solid 2". This isn't a Metal Gear Solid game. You say it hasn't "evolved" but if you judge it as a MGS game than it TOTALLY EVOLVED since y'know, THE GAMEPLAY IS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT. Thus, an evolution occurred. That's like saying Halo Wars didn't evolve the Halo FPS formula enough.

Like others said, its a spinoff thats by a lot of the people who did Bayonetta and the original Devil May Cry. You honestly should have expected most of the things you complained about from the beginning knowing Platinum was making it. Its very repetitive but I'm enjoying its personality. I'm a big MG fan but I can accept that its something different. I mean, honestly the idea of Raiden sneaking around just seems dumb since he's a friggin' cyborg ninja. He can just kill people with his intense sword skills, why would a game starring him require him to play the entire game all stealth like when he's such a badass? Makes sense to make it a action heavy hack and slash.

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Alucard1475
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

I played it for half an hour. Total garbage.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

it is kinda a shitty game. it's only 5 hour long

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@ blamix99

So is Skyrim. Its only 50 hours long.

@ Alucard1475

Actually since you only played if for half an hour then technically its only partly garbage. Simple Logic.... Hehe.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pffrbt

@Black_Knight_00:

"That's funny, because pretty much every single person I talk to complains about the block system"
That's funny because that isn't my experience at all.

"1) it's unreliable unless you pour in a lot of time practicing it and even then it often fails when it thinks you aren't pointing in the right direction"
That's untrue since I've never had any problem with it. It always works every time I use it and it was easy to learn in a matter of minutes. You're terrible at the game.

"2) it's exploitable, since you can continuously tap the stick and the attack/block button and parry every hit though a glitch"
That isn't a glitch and it isn't feasible to play like that given how important moving and dodging and doing combos are. Also make up your mind. If it's unreliable then how could you exploit it.

"as explained in this review"
Not watching that shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Never played it, except a demo. Anybody here think it's better than bayonetta?

Far as I can see it was a half assed salvaged spin off.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00

@Pffrbt: You heard it here first folks, game's perfect. The end.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

@Chozofication said:

Never played it, except a demo. Anybody here think it's better than bayonetta?

The setting, style, humor etc. is completely different. But combat-wise I preferred Bayoneta because I find not only Bayonetta can have nearly any button combo form into a full combo (i.e XOOX or XXOXX) but perfecting the dodge gave me few precious seconds to destroy a few enemies.

I also preferred Bayonetta's style/setting. A self aware, OTT, sexy, old-film cutscenes, lovely music heavenly hack and slash. Bosses were great too.

However, I could never get into MGS but I did enjoy MGR and Platinum did make a great hack and slash based around a world I previously couldn't get into because I'm not that much a fan of stealth. This guy who's complaining about how it hasn't evolve (Stealth - Hack 'n' Slash ??? ) and then slags of how the character looks, which isn't only stupid, doesn't know how to play the game also as the parry and combos are easy to use after 5mins. He probably tries rushing it, which is a fatal mistake in any Platinum game

meatz666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 meatz666
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

I'm having problems to like this game. As a Vanquish fan, I don't mind the stereotypes, the stupid plot, etc. If the gameplay is awesome, I really don't mind.

The parry system is cool, slashing your enemies is fun enough, but the best part for me is the mobility Raiden has. The game can be fast as ecstasy if you have the proficiency to keep it up. I don't mind the invisible walls either (every game in this genre has, let's not compare it to sandbox games).

But my problem with this game is: Camera. And I find it funny that nobody complained about that. Every time you have to use it, t's a pain in the ass. In order to do proper melee, they put the camera a bit farther from the character (compared to Vanquish), and every time you touch the right analog, you don't know if it's going to turn slowly, or super fast. When you do the Ninja Run, I find it impossible to choose which baddie I want to hit exactly.

When you master the "energy spine absorb", then the game is over. You don't have story to keep you playing, nor gameplay satisfaction.

I was looking for this game, but I have to confess. I just gave it up. I have a huge backlog of games, so I don't have time to waste with sub par games...

Just my .99 cents. :P

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Isn't what you're saying the same for most hack & slash games today in general? Maybe hack & slash games in general just aren't your thing?

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Nailed it, it's a game that would have been ok some 13 years ago. The combat system is dreadfully outdated, it tries to jingle keys in front of your face with its hollow Dragon Ball Z flashiness, but unless you enslave yourself and master the broken-ass parry mechanic you're doomed to frustration. Oh and the stereotypes: "I'm Herr Doktor und I love Kapitalismus, jawohl!" That's the kind of boneheaded japanese humor that nobody thinks is funny. The energy walls were downright offensive: "There's an energy barrier here, what sorcery is this?" As if we were all stupid like Raiden and weren't able to tell bad game design when we see it. The plot is a predictable spin on Kojima's "killing is bad, here's a fun weapon to kill people" bullshit and even that it does nothing with. The final boss song is nice though.

Anyway, don't judge the whole franchise from this game, it's nothing but a reskin of Bayonetta with a MGS paintjob, absolutely hysterically bad stealth shoehorned in and that half-assed cutting mechanic added on. There's so much more to Metal Gear than this game lets on.

This is such a great post. It's one of those games that I'll never understand why so many people enjoyed it. It fails on the most basic level as a solid action game...

halipokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 halipokes
Member since 2014 • 48 Posts

As someone who hasn't played any Metal Gear Solid game in her time (Sorry), I feel like Metal Gear Rising is an amazing game. As far as I know, Metal Gear Solid was all about sneaking, and well, Rising is not really that, but damn if it makes you feel powerful. Throwing a huge robot in the air and slicing it in half in the first level? I need that kind of illusion of power in my life!

It may not be like its ancestors, but hey, it works very well as its own game.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I feel like I needed to add it here.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@pyratrum said:

"button mashing throwback"

"braindead hack&slash"

"The combat system is dreadfully outdated, it tries to jingle keys in front of your face with its hollow Dragon Ball Z flashiness, but unless you enslave yourself and master the broken-ass parry mechanic "

The **** am I even reading? MGR:R is one of the finest examples of action games in recent years where gameplay mastery, above all else, is rewarded.

people complaining about their play-style (button mashing) not working and/or making the game boring. I typically laugh when people refer to a game as a "button masher", because it means they didn't take the time to learn how to string together combos. They mash their attack buttons and refer to the game as a "button masher". look at the guy complaining about the parry system ffs... it's by far the tightest evade system I've experienced in the genre.

these types of games aren't necessarily for the god of war-esque action aficionado, which is often why you see low iq gamers complaining about the mechanics being unresponsive (lolol) or the story being bad (true).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@ firefox59 + Black_Knight_00

I disagree, it succeeds in the only part that matters in a game.... Gameplay ! Also its Hack n Slash, so, why should the genre bend for Metal Gear ? It aint nothing special.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

@-paranorman- said:

It's a hack n slash lol. What HnS games have great stories and don't suffer from invisible walls or unpassable objects? Devil May Cry is possibly the biggest name for this genre of gaming and it has all that, bad story, invisible walls, you name it. God of War suffers from the same shit. If you wanted a game with a good story that doesn't have any of these then stick with Zelda and those type of games. Hack n Slash games mainly focus on cool looking cutscenes, great fighting music, good graphics, over exaggerated action sequences and fast gameplay. All of those things were in MGR:R, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Nailed it.

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

I find it to be one of my favorite games of 2013. :)

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

MGS Rising was made by the best company who specializes in action games, that is Platinum Games. They helped Kojima Productions by implementing that amazing action gameplay they couldn't make, the story was not the main focus tho it was actually not that bad at all. Sounds like you just don't like the game for what it is, but over exaggerating things that have always been part of a hack ans slash game.

Grenadeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Grenadeh
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts

As rican and others have said, MGRR was a spin off. That's why it's called MGR and not MGS. Kojima knows what he's doing - mostly. Really the game only exists because people wanted to be a ninja after MGS2 let you use a sword, and it was originally intended to tell a story about Frank Jaeger. You can rest assured this will not affect the actual MGS franchise. Hopefully there's never another MGR game either.

@Platinum. No, god no. Just absolutely no. Almost every other hack and slash developer out there makes a better hack and slash game than Platinum. Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3: Razor's Edge, Dante's Inferno, Heavenly Sword, God of War, Devil May Cry and Prince of Persia are all immensely better than Bayonetta and MGRR - especially MGRR. The only game Bayonetta trumps is Lollipop chainsaw, and the new DmC.

I'm just going to assume, to maintain my respect for the community, that no one here has actually played a hack and slash game before and so has no proper examples to compare MG:RR to.

Every single aspect of this game misses the mark. The fruit ninja slashing, while novel, is neither innovative nor cool. It is very sparsely used - so much so that when you are forced to use it for bosses, the game does not make sure you are prepared to do so correctly. Even ignoring that and supposing you use it on your own - which you should because it's occasionally fun and helps to bring down enemies like Geckos - it requires 100% precision and will punish you for screwing up when you are actually forced to use it.

Aside from that, as a hack and slash game MGRR is pathetically easy and the difficulty is disjointed. Regular enemies like soldiers, dwarf geckos, sewer ski robots, helicopters - are all stupid easy. They take no effort whatsoever to kill. Geckos themselves are more difficult but not that threatening. Bosses, on the other hand, are stupidly hard in comparison. Except for the Ray. As if that wasn't bad enough, once you get to Monsoon you immediately have to fight him and Mistral again, then immediately fight Sundowner right afterwards. So, you have to fight the hardest boss in the game twice within a few minutes, with no healing items.

In comparison to all the other flaws of the game - like the non-functional parry system - the absurdly over the top story almost seems to make up for it. Anyway, nanomachines son.